.
 PRESERVING THE HERITAGE OF ARENAC COUNTY, MICHIGAN
home
leadership
museum
events calendar
news
major projects
bookstore
library
join or give
contact us
links
Arenac County Historical Album - Page 6

Click on the photo to view a larger version.

Return to Page 5 or to the Index


1930s_snowplow.jpg
1930s Arenac County snow removal
alger_mi_station.gif The Michigan Central Railroad station and water tower at Alger. In the late 1800's, this station served as a junction point for the Detroit, Bay City & Alpena Railroad (which later became the Detroit & Mackinac Railway). This may be why the station rated a trackside standpipe locomotive water pipe, rather than just pulling up to the tower. Such standpipes were unusual for a town as small as Alger.
nem_4.jpg The 1949 Alabaster Baseball Team. Even though this is an Alabaster team, the players are all from Arenac County. Top row left to right are Ervin Felsing, Harold Rowland, Patrick Erickson, Elmer Erickson, John Erickson, John Bollen. Bottom row left to right are Bernie Hill, Joe Roberts, Joe Martin, ___________, Pete Rescoe, Harold Delosh.
arenac_eastern_class_1948_49.jpg The 1948-49 8th Grade Class at Arenac Eastern High School.
On Floor:
Richard Nowak, Floyd Holland, Arthur Swartz, Jim Hull, Robert Dewald, Jim Steward, Jack Savage, Stanley Strelecki, Clinton Greanya.
Seated: Florence Poole, Joann Hopp, Ruth Garrison, Lavena White, Clara Spencer, Edna Whipple, Gayle Weishuhn, Sue Hemingway, Esther Harris, Nancy Bronson.
3rd Row: Mrs. Moffatt, Virginia Kozlow, Doris Leiber, Betty Nuttall, Richard Payea, Wayne Bell, Ralph McCormick, Bill Case, John Bellows, Delbert Dewald, Patsy Dzaglonous, Goldie Jarsey.
Back Row: Chuck Stamm, Helen Mae Stabeler, Joan Fisher, Pauline Folcik, Stanley Reid, Kathryn Doran, Mary Clark, Nancy Bouchard, Ann Osier, Kay Williams.
deford_school.jpg Deford School – Date unknown. Deford School was located in today’s Clayton Township at the corner of what was later known as West Main and Reed Roads.
deford_school_class_1931-32.jpg A Deford School class of 1931-32.

Back Row:
Ada Keely, Sherman Reed, Seymore Cunningham, Frank Goodman, Teacher: Zelda Christie Triechel, Melvin Sheffer, Wallace Carson, Phyllis Browne, Marjorie Bourgeoise, Esther Kline.
Middle Row: June Reed, Ruby Kline, Alberta Cunningham, Alfred Cunningham, George Sheffer, Alice Reed, Madeline Sheffer, Aletha Miller, Ellen Page, Doris Greene, Marjorie Goodman.
Front Row: Harold Carson, Jimmy Page, Morrison Miller, Irene Kline, Eleanor Cunningham, Joe Anton, Donna Sheffer, Marilyn Greene, Deloris Misener, Lois Misener, Junior Bourgeouise, Lois Wilson.
laundrie_school_class_1947.jpg A Laundrie School class of 1947. Laundrie School was located in today’s Whitney Township at the corner of what was later known as Stowell and Mason Roads.
cedar_valley_school.jpg Cedar Valley School Class – Date unknown. Cedar Valley School was located in today’s Mason Township at the southeast corner of what is now Fire and Maple Ridge Roads.

Proceed to Page 7

Up to Top

Arenac County Historical Society; 304 East Michigan Avenue; P. O. Box 272; Au Gres, Michigan  48703-0272;  989-876-6399

Last updated:  01/18/2010.   Content 2005-2010 by the Arenac County Historical Society