In 1887, the Michigan Central Railroad informed the citizens of Standish that it would
build a new depot on one condition. If local farmers would haul in large stones for the
material, the company would put up the building....
The building is a former Arenac County Courthouse, built in 1890. It was built after
the original courthouse burned to the ground... The paint was barely dry on the
stately structure when the county seat was moved to Standish. The building sat
vacant and abandoned until 1892, when it was purchased by the Masons.