BACK TO PHOTOGRAPHS MAIN PAGE

 

Safford's General Store
Algansee Village
(3 pictures)
 


A general store in Algansee village known as Safford's Store (built in 1880) was
chosen as the place to have the first library, and thanks to a Kellogg Foundation grant,
the library opened in 1938, with Doris Williams (née Dove) as the first librarian.

Source:  Branch District Library Website

Picture of the old Safford store, which was inherited by Gwen Safford and her husband Leroy Van Dove.
This is how the store got to be known as the Dove Stove in Algansee.  Gwen Safford Dove was a school
teacher and taught at the old Brown School in Algansee.
Source:  David Bickford
bickford@awesomenet.net

 

Source:  Permission obtained from
The Branch County Historical Society from their book
"History of Branch County, Vol. 1", ©1979
 

Source:  Permission obtained from
The Branch County Historical Society from their book
"History of Branch County, Vol. 2", ©1984, p. 57