Home
Calhoun Co. Gen. Soc.
History
Resources
Vital & Other Records

 

Burlington Township

 
Township Clerk
Burlington Village Office
Marshall Street
Burlington, MI  49029
517-765-2787 or 517-765-2323
Cemeteries
Click on hyperlink for more information
Library
Burlington Township Library
135 N. Elm
PO Box 38
Burlington, MI   49029
517-765-2702
 

Brief History of Burlington 

First settlement was by William and Ansel Adams in 1833. The town was named after the gunboat Burlington which had engaged in the War of 1812 and the Great Lakes. The township was set off and organized in the 1836-1837 legislative session. The village was laid out in May 1842 and in 1843 the first store was opened by J. B. Tucker. Levi Houghtaling was the first postmaster. Early township officials included: Justus Goodwin (supervisor), Otis C. Freeman (clerk), Levi Houghtaling (treasurer and constable), William Adams (assessor), Zelina Sanders, Moses S. Gleason and Justus Goodwin (all justices of the peace). The village of Burlington was incorporated in March, 1869.