Clarence Township

 
Township Clerk
27052 R Dr. N
Albion, MI 49224-9448
(517) 857-2288
Cemeteries
Click on hyperlink for more information
 

Brief History of Clarence 

The township was set off and organized from Sheridan Township as "Pinkney" in 1838 by the legislature. The settlers quickly changed the name to Clarence, possibly for Clarence, Erie Co, NY. Benjamin P. Gillette and his family were the first settlers here in 1836. Some early township officials were: Andrew Bell (supervisor), Cook Tyler (clerk), A.M. Green (treasurer and assessor), W.B. Noble (justice of the peace and assessor), C.W. Clapp (justice of the peace), Samuel Sellers (justice of the peace), and Norris Barns (assessor).