Home
Calhoun Co. Gen. Soc.
History
Resources
Vital & Other Records

 

Homer Township

 
Homer Village Manager
130 E. Main St.
PO Box 155
Homer, MI   49245-0155
517-568-4321
Homer Township
386 Grandview Ave.
Homer, MI 49245-1218
(517) 568-4786
Funeral Homes
Homer Chapel, 303 S Hillsdale St, Homer, MI, 49245-1245, 517-568-4401
Tidd-Williams Funeral Chapels, 303 S Hillsdale St, Homer, MI, 49245-1245, 517-568-4401
Cemeteries
Click on hyperlink for more information
Historical Society
Homer Historical Society
505 Grandview
Homer, MI 49245
(517) 568-3116
Library
Homer Public Library
104 South Hillsdale Street 
Homer, MI 49245
517-568-3450
 

Brief History of Homer

The village of Homer was founded by Milton Barney who had a sawmill and grist mill built in 1832, a store in 1834 and an inn in 1835. The township was named after Homer, Cortland Co, NY at the request of James Hopkins and others from that area. The post office began May 7, 1834 with Milton Barney as the first postmaster. The village was incorporated in 1871. Some early township officials: Stephen S. Powers (supervisor), C.C. Lewis (clerk), George S. Letts (treasurer), E.L. Rogers (assessor), John Fabrique (assessor), Anthony Doolittle (assessor), Milton Barney (justice of the peace), Andrew Dorsey (justice of the peace), Freeman Rathburn (justice of the peace), James McGregor (justice of the peace), and S.S. Powers (justice of the peace).

 

Records On-Line for Homer Township

Notes from Homer Index
Includes miscellaneous notes of genealogical and historical interest.  
1872 - 1879
Homer Index Births, Deaths, and Marriages A-K
1872 - 1903
Homer Index Births, Deaths, and Marriages L-Z
1872 - 1903
Civil War-era letters from the Ayling and Archer families of the Homer area