Brief History of Newton
First settled by Granville Beardslee, from Rochester, NY in 1834. It was named after
Newton, MA. Set off from Burlington Township in 1837-1838. Early township officials:
Stephen Graham (supervisor), Daniel Merrill (clerk), Granville Beardslee (assessor), James
Dowling (assessor, justice of the peace), John Pearl (assessor), Henry W. Donnelly
(treasurer), Ambrose M. Phelps (justice of the peace), Jonathan F. Noble (justice of the
peace), and Moses S. Gleason (justice of the peace).