Search billions of records on

Calhoun Co. Gen. Soc.
Vital & Other Records


Pioneer Obits 1883


Obituaries from the 1883 pioneer meeting

Josiah Goddard
Mrs. J.D. Labar
Bartholomew Banks
Henry A. Pierce
Mrs. Elijah Clapp
Edward Cox

Death Of Josiah Goddard

The death of Josiah GODDARD which occurred on the 21st ult., 1882 at his home in Ft. Atkinson, Iowa, is of especial interest to our readers, as the deceased was one of the earliest pioneers of this section, and was prominently identified with the development of our county, during the first sixteen years of its history. lie was a man of large intelligence and striking originality of character, which with the noble and generous traits uniformly manifest in his intercourse with society, and the spirit of enterprise which characterized the more active period of his life, caused him to be a conspicuous figure in our early annals.

Mr. Goddard who died at the ripe age of 91 years and 16 days, was the fifth child of Gardner and Sophia (RICE) Goddard of East Boylston, Mass., where he was born April 5th, 1792. His family are noted for their longevity, as of eleven children all of whom reached mature years, five attained to extreme old age, their ages varying from 80 to 93 years. Two sisters are still living, one aged 80 years at Templeton, Mass., and the other aged 87 years at Southboro in the same State.

The subject of this notice resided in his native township until his 17th year, when he went to Boston where he remained until the opening of hostilities between the United States and Great Britain in 1812, when he entered the army and served his country during the war. He was one of the "immortals" who under the lead of Col. Miller, charged and captured the British batteries at Lundy's Lane. He also bore a part in the battles of Niagara and Plattsburg.

At the close of the war, he came to Detroit where he took up his permanent abode and where he was married on the 14th of October, 1814, to Miss Hannah HARRIS, with whom he lived happily for nearly 69 years, and who survives him. Robert ABBOTT, brother of the first postmaster of Detroit, officiated at the wedding.

Mr. Goddard having resided at Detroit till 1831, became in the autumn of that year, the third settler in this vicinity, having located on Goguac prairie where he resided a few vears and then settled on the farm on Goguac lake, now known as the JENNINGS farm. It is said that his son, S. Calhoun Goddard was the first child born in Calhoun county. He occupied this place with his family until 1849, when he removed to Winneshiek county, Iowa, where he resided up to the time of his death.

Mr. and Mrs. G. were the parents of fifteen children, nine sons and six daughters. Of these children, seven are still living, including six sons in Northern Iowa and one daughter, Mrs. Win. REESE of this city. The descendants number 45 grandchildren, 29 great grandchildren and one child of the fourth generation.

For nearly half a century, Mr. Goddard was a member of the Masonic fraternity and took a deep interest in the welfare of the order. Coming as he did, from Revolutionary stock -- his father having been a soldier in the war of the Revolution -- and having himself served in the war of 1812, "he was," to quote the language of one of the Iowa papers at the time of his death, "of the most thorough American type." He enjoyed a personal acquaintance with Gen. Grant and cast his vote for President Hayes in 1876.

For several years past, he was blind, but retained all his faculties until the very close of his long career, taking the utmost pleasure in discussing the leading questions of the day, whether relating to politics or other subjects.

His death, while it will be deeply regretted, will also awaken pleasant recollections of his career oil the part of our older residents by whom he was so universally esteemed for his manliness, his generous, confiding nature, his patriotic spirit, his obliging kindness as a neighbor, and those qualities which served to distinguish the earliest generations of men in our Republic. For thirty-five years he was a resident of Michigan, and was one of the men who deserve a lasting place in the memory of her citizens, both for his public service and personal worth.

Mrs. J. D. Labar.

The death of Mrs. J. D. LABAR, at her home in Battle Creek, of pulmonary consumption, February 13, 1882, already announced in the columns of the Journal, seems to call for a more extended tribute inasmuch as she had been well and favorably known in this citv for more than a third of a century.

Ludencia G. COLE was born in Herkimer county, New York, June 11, 1828. Her parents, Calvin and Sally Cole, removed in her early childhood to this State, and settled on a farm near Marshall, where most of her youth was passed. April 10th, 1850, She was married to Mr. J. D. Labar. They came immediately to this then village, and located a home on the spot where they have since continuously resided. One child was born to them, a son, Volney C., who, many of the older residents will remember, died after a lingering illness, at the age of about ten years. The memory of this interesting child the parents ever most tenderly cherished, and his loss may have been one incentive to the works of love and benevolence that so characterized the mother in after years.

She loved children, and her sunny disposition made her peculiarly adapted to interest them. She drew about her a society of little girls, meeting weekly at her home to prepare garments for the needy. Many destitute children were clothed by their united efforts and contributions, while the youthful donors were thus receiving lessons in practical Christianity. For many years she continued to devote much of her time and energies to this and kindred Christian labor, visiting the poor and afflicted in their homes, and giving them sympathy and substantial aid. Her kindly deeds to neighbors and friends, and careful watching at the bedside of the sick, will long be remembered.

She possessed fine social qualities, which attracted many friends, and a remarkably cheerful and buoyant spirit, which was specially manifest during her long illness. Though the last few months were marked at times by extreme suffering, she bore all with wonderful patience and fortitude.

Her faith in Christ her Redeemer was her refuge and strength, and finally showed its really complete and triumphing power in providing her mind with most perfect peace and resignation . She welcomed her release. " Don't weep for me," she said. "Rejoice," and at last, when the final summons came, her life went out gently, "even as the flickering of a taper."

The funeral services, held at the residence, were conducted by Rev. E. H. HARVEY, of Augusta, who, as a personal friend, paid a fitting tribute to the life and character of the deceased, alluding to the beautiful floral offerings, as speaking in eloquent though silent language of the love and esteem of friends. Her remains were deposited with appropriate ceremonies, by the side of her beloved child, in Oak Hill Cemetery.

Major Bartholomew Banks

[From The Marshall Statesman, January 25,1883.]

Major Bartholomew BANKS, who had been seriously ill for some time, died at his residence South of the city (Marshall) Monday evening, Jan. 22, 1883. Major Banks was born in 1800, in Richmond, Va., where he lived until 1835. Emigrating to Michigan, he located in Marshall, and worked at his trade, that of a carpenter, for a number of years. He then launched his bark on. the sea of merchantile life by opening a grocery store at the east end of State street. He was moderately successful in his venture, but gave it up ill 1844 to accept the position of station agent for the Michigan Central at this point.

He was the first agent here, and at this time the road was under the control of the State. He was afterwards proprietor of the eating house, in which two positions he was engaged twenty years. It was ill this capacity that he achieved a notoriety in the catering line second to none in this part of the State. He was nearly 55 when be resolved to spend the remainder of his days in the peaceful pursuit of farming. Accordingly he purchased 90 acres of seminary land just south of the city, where he has since resided.

He was a gentleman of the old school, courteous and affable, of strict integrity, and was universally esteemed. He was a very prominent memberof the Odd Fellows' lodge in this State in the early days of its history. Among the offices of public trust to which he was elected was that of city recorder in 1844.

He was a most inveterate hunter, and no year was allowed to go by without a raid on the foxes of his vicinity. His hospitality was proverbial, and it was in the entertainment of his friends that the qualities were best shown that greatly endeared him to his friends.

He leaves four children, Mrs. Emma BAILIE, Miss Mary Banks, John Banks, of Grand Rapids, and Mrs. Anna Hume, of Muskegon. His wife died two years ago.

Prof. Henry A. Pierce

The many Marshall friends of Prof. Henry A. PIERCE will learn of his death with deep regret. He died at his home in Lansingburg, New York, on Dec. 21,1882.

In 1853, in obedience to the wishes of the school board, Prof. Henry A. Pierce came to Marshall and accepted the position of principal of our public schools. His wife, an experienced educator, was chosen to assist him in the high school room. They were both conscientious workers, and the schools greatly improved under their labors. The Marshall Statesman of May, 1855, gives the result of a visit to the schools by a close observer. He says:

"The discipline of the school cannot be too highly applauded. I have never yet known it excelled, if equaled, by, any school that has come under my observation. It is by close observation and patient investigation that this vantage ground has been gained. The principal of the school, Mr. Henry L Pierce, together with his associates, have not only won laurels for themselves, but imposed the most sacred obligations upon their patrons."

The flattering success of Prof. Pierce and his wife in educating the young led them to seriously consider the question of opening a seminary for young ladies in this city. A number of citizens were interested in the enterprise and the Mansion house, now the residence of Chas. P. DIBBLE, was purchased for this purpose. A brick structure was built just east of it for a school-house, and the Mansion house property was used as a boarding house for the young ladies.

It was formally opened on Oct. 22, 1855, with an able corps of teachers, Charles P. Dibble, Dr. Joseph SIBLEY, and Hon. Chas. T. GORHAM were the three trustees. The institute at once took rank with the best in the State, and the first term closed with 100 young ladies, many from abroad, in attendance. Among the pleasant mementoes of these olden days yet preserved by many of the former pupils are copies of "The Oak Leaf," a semi-annual paper issued from the college. The copy shown us by, Mr. Charles P. Dibble bore date of June, 1857, and was edited by Misses Allie A. Phelps and Jennie E. BURGESS. Drill in vocal music was made a special feature of the daily curriculum, and much proficiency was acquired by the young ladies. Prof. Pierce, who was a fine singer and acted as chorister for years in the old Presbyterian church, was the instructor.

At the end of four years Prof. Pierce and wife left to accept a position in the public schools of Watertown, N. Y., and the institute was discontinued. Chas. P. Dibble purchased the buildings and grounds. The school-house was removed and the former Mansion house thoroughly overhauled and repaired and made to assume its present elegant appearance.

A sketch of his life is given in the Troy Daily Telegram of Dee. 23d, from which we clip the following:

"The death of Henry A. Pierce has caused profound sorrow, not only in the educational circles, but also among the host of personal friends whom he had attracted to himself by his many virtues. Mr. Pierce was born among the beautiful hills of Berkshire county, Mass., in 1826. He enjoyed the stern and rugged training of farm life, and the excellent primary drill of New England common schools. Moved by noble ambition and his innate longing for future usefulness, he began to pave the way to success in his designs by teaching school at the age of nineteen years. By his own unaided energies he accumulated means by which he supported himself as a student in the famous Williston seminary, in Massachusetts, long enough to be well prepared for admission to Williams college. He had already earned such a reputation as a teacher that his services were in great demand, and he was induced reluctantly to forego his cherished plan of entering college, and resumed his place in his profession; but he never failed to be a student, and his scholarship ranked ill due time even beyond that of his more favored schoolmates, who went through college. He soon passed into the ranks of high school teachers, fulfilling his office in Indiana, Michigan, and Now York. In 1869 he was chosen principal of the fourth ward grammar school in this city, in which position he remained three years, when he was transferred to the charge of the Troy high school. Here he continued till the time of his death, which occurred on Thursday afternoon, at his home in Lansingburg. Thus briefly recorded stand the outlines of his life. His characteristics as a teacher were intense earnestness, accuracy, conscientious application, and marked ability to arouse the enthusiasm of his pupils in every subject. He despised shams and pretentious display, and with such modesty did he labor that too few appreciated at its real worth the great work of his life. But the merit of his work became so well known that Williams college conferred upon him, in 1866, the honorary degree of Master of Arts. However much of honor we may concede to him in his chosen occupation, it is well understood by his intimate friends that in the character of husband, father, brother, friend, and humble Christian, he deserved far greater praise. From the heart of every one who knew him will arise the plaudit, ‘Faithful laborer, enter into thy rest.’"

Death Of Mrs. Elijah Clapp

Our citizens are again apprised of the death of a well known lady, whose long residence among us has made her face familiar to all, and whose many acts of charity and Christian love have endeared her to not a few.

Mrs. Elijah CLAPP died at the family residence, No. 28, North avenue, Sunday, after a long illness, the last two months of which she was confined to her bed. Her complaint was an affection of the liver, and it has been painfully apparent to the relatives and friends for some time, that the end was fast approaching.

Susan Elenor CARR was born in Fayetteville, New York, May 26, 1826, and moved to Battle Creek in 1843, since which time she has been a resident of this city continuously.

Deceased was married to Elijah Clapp March 16, 1848, by whom she has had four children, three of whom, William C., Julia V., and Florence L., together with their father, survive her.

Dr. Edward Cox

From the Battle Creek Journal.

The death of Dr. Edward COX was announced in our yesterday's issue as having occurred at half past nine o'clock in the morning of that day, Sept. 19,1882.

As for nearly half a century, the deceased has been a conspicuous member of our community, having been prominently identified with our city during the far greater share of its history, and long recognized as one of the leading physicians of the State, it is fitting that his career should receive especial attention in our columns.. county

Dr. Cox was a native of the Empire State. He was born on the 6th of January, 1816, at Cambridge, Washington county, N. Y., the same county which gave birth also to Jonathan Hart, a distinguished Pioneer of this city. His parents were Silas and Abigail Cox, both of whom spent the evening of their days in Battle Creek and enjoyed the unbounded respect of our citizens for their sterling qualities Of character, and their active usefulness as members of society.

In 1819, when Edward was three years of age, his parents removed to Onondaga county, where after suitable literary preparation, he studied medicine in the offices of Dr. Benjamin TRUMBULL of Borodino, and Dr. C. CAMPBELL of South Butler, N. Y. He afterward pursued his studies. at Geneva Medical College, at which institution he took his medical degree in January, 1839, with distinguished honors and entered upon his profession with a high promise which was fully realized in his subsequent career.

He commenced practice in Wayne county, N. Y., where he remained but six months, and in September, 1839,  forty-three years ago this very mouth -- he arrived in this city, then a village of but a few hundred inhabitants, and permanently established himself as the second regular medical practitioner of the place; Dr. Wm. M. Campbell with whom he associated himself in professional practice, being the first. At that time the young physician and the community in which be cast his fortunes, had a future to be made by their own enterprise and energy. The town was just emerging from a rivalry with Verona, as the business centre of this section. Its first grist mill had been in operation but a little more than two years. Only three years had elapsed since its first framed building had been erected and the advantages of the little hamlet for a professional career largely consisted in promise, Here, however, Dr. Cox cast his lot, and soon with his associate, Dr. Campbell, built up an extensive, and for those days, a lucrative practice. With characteristic energy and public spirit he identified himself with measures for the growth and improvement of the place and soon not only took a prominent position in his profession, but came to be regarded as one of our foremost citizens.

For many years he continued practice in connection with Dr. Campbell, and at one time Dr. S. S. FRENCH was associated with them in professional labor. To his profession he ever showed the most constant loyalty, and devoted himself to the researches of his favorite science, both old and new, with unremitting enthusiasm. He welcomed and availed himself of all the recent discoveries and improvements in medicine and surgery, while stoutly maintaining his allegiance to the regular school in which lie was educated. For many years, and to the close of his life, he was one of the leading members of the Calhoun County Medical Society, and was a member of the State Medical Society from its formation, serving on its most important committees, and in 1879, was honored by being made its president. At the time of his death, he was one of the State Councillors of the Detroit Medical College, a position to which he was appointed by the trustees. Dr. Cox was also a member of the American Medical Association, having represented his State in that body, as also in the International Medical Congress convened at Philadelphia in 1876,

Dr. Cox was an able and incisive writer oil medical topics, and prepared many important papers to be read before medical societies, besides contributing articles to medical and other periodicals, which for their practical and scientific value, attracted wide attention. It was an especial aim with him to maintain a high standard for his profession, and he resolutely opposed every tendency to its degradation to mere mercenary designs and uses. Some of his more recent productions were devoted to the awakening of an interest in this purpose, both among'the medical fraternity and the public at large. One of these contributions was extensively copied, and elicited the strongest commendation from the leading medical journals and physicians of this country and Europe.

Among the latest of his efforts with the pen was the preparation of a series of obituary articles written at the request of the County Medical Society. These embraced biographical. sketches of several of the pioneer physicians of the county, and upon them the deceased bestowed great care and the most affectionate interest. Most, if not all of them, were published in the columns of the Journal at the time, and excited much commendable remark for the conscientious and pains-taking accuracy with which they were prepared.

Frequently within the past few years, has Dr. Cox, in the hearing of the writer of this notice, been heard to express his deep interest in his profession, and to declare that it chiefly circumscribed his ambition. He stated that its honors were those which he most highly valued, and grateful as might be to him the expressions of public confidence bestowed by his fellow- citizens, political distinction and partisan prominence were far less prized by him than usefulness, success, and good standing in his chosen profession.

In accordance with this sentiment, a few days before his death, he expressed the desire that the words "Practicing Physician for 44 years," should be inscribed upon his coffin as declaring the leading work and purpose of his life, and embodying the essential feature of his career, which he desired to leave impressed upon the memory of his follow men.

But the life of Dr. Cox would be only partially sketched without allusion to his political character and his traits as a party leader. He was first most actively identified with the politics of the city and State, a little less than forty years ago. About 1844, he became conspicuous as ore of the young democracy, who began to assert themselves and to assume prominence in the place of the older members of the party, Sands MCCAMLY, Moses HALL, John CHAMPION, Michael SPENCER, John ROGERS, G. F. SMITH, Colonel John STUART, Wm. M. Campbell, and others who bad previously con trolled party affairs. In lieu of these, arose not indirect antagonism, but seeking to make their influence more positively felt, Dr. Cox, Benjamin F. GRAVES, Thomas H. THOMAS, Abner E. Campbell, Major GILBERT, William A. Coleman, Joseph BARTON, the Stillsons, and others-to whom may be added Alonzo NOBLE and T. W. HALL, who, though somewhat the senior of the rest, were identified with them in action. Among these, Dr. Cox soon took marked prominence. Ardent, resolute, tenacious, and aggressive, he eminently possessed the qualities requisite for leadership. From this time forward, his tact and judgment rendered him peculiarly influential in the counsels of his party, until he became at length its most prominent member in this section. When his party was in power, he was ranked with the more liberal, progressive element, but after the ascendency in the county, State, and nation had passed to other hands, his caution in regard to Accepting new and untried methods for restoring its supremacy caused him to take rank as a conservative, and he has for many years been regarded as amongthe most stalwart leaders of the democracy.

Dr. Cox received frequent marks of party confidence and honor. Besides the various positions held in his own city and county, he was at one time a member of the State central committee, and in 1872 was a delegate to the democratic national convention at Baltimore. He was offered nominations on the State ticket, but invariably declined.

So far as his own city was concerned he abundantly shared its honors, having been president of the village in 1853; one of its first aldermen, a position which he held for six years; and mayor for two years, in 18 73-4. He was also at one time a member of the school board, and has been connected with numerous organizations for the public benefit. For many years past he has been a member of the cemetery board, of which he was president at the time of his death.

Whenever be was a candidate for office, notwithstanding he was an earnest partisan, he received many votes from the opposite party, showing that he had great popular strength outside of the membership of his own political faith.

During the war Dr. Cox volunteered his service as a surgeon, and in response to a call from Gov. BLAIR, spent several weeks in Virginia caring for the sick and wounded after the battle of Petersburg.

In the Masonic order, Dr. Cox held a foremost position in the State, having been Master of the lodge in this city, a Knight Templar, High Priest of the Royal Arch Chapter, and Grand Master of the Council of Royal and Select .Masons.

For many years he held the position of vestryman in St. Thomas Church, having been strongly attached to the doctrines of the Christian faith as held by the Protestant Episcopal Church.

The deceased was twice married. His first wife was Esther Ann STARKWEATHER to whom he was married Sept. 2, 1840, and was the first adult person buried in Oakhill Cemetery.

On the first of May, 1845, he was married to Miss Sarah ADAMS, of Pennfield, with whom he lived most happily, and who survives him. Three children were born to him, one by the first wife, a daughter who died at the age of eight years, and two by his second wife, who died in infancy.

Three sisters of Dr. Cox survive him, Mrs. Dr. S. S. FRENCH, who has been confined to her room for the past year by illness; Mrs. T. C. GARDNER of Port Huron; and Mrs. M. H. Joy of this city.

During his long and painful illness the suffering endured in the sick-room was alleviated by the constant and skillful attention of his brother-in-law, Dr. S. S. French, and other physicians whose confidence he bad enjoyed, and with whom he had consulted for many years.

In closing this notice' of a citizen so distinguished and widely known, there is scarce need that we should endeavor to present any summary of his qualities, Dr. Cox possessed strong and bold traits of character. Of quick and broad intelligence, positive convictions, great readiness of resources and alertness in action, he was born to make a mark in whatever community he might live, Among the people of Battle Creek he had long been a familiar personage, being virtually a stranger to none.

With a heart as tender as that of a child, he was devotedly attached to children, and they returned the attachment in large measure, so that he will be missed by the members of the rising generation, almost as much as by those who have known, honored, and loved him for more than a generation now past. His long and useful life in our midst is in itself an imperishable monument to his memory.


The funeral obsequies of the late Dr. Edward Cox took place at three o’clock Thursday, September 21, 1882, from the family residence on West Main street, the Rev. Dr. CORBETT officiating.

The services, in compliance with the often expressed wish of the doctor, were simple, the solemnly beautiful and impressive burial service of the Protestant Episcopal Church only, being read at the house.

A choir consisting of Mrs. T. J. Joy, Miss Louise SKINNER, Mr. B. T. SKINNER, and Mr. Frank PERRY, sang "There is a Light in the Valley" in a very impressive manner, after which the procession to the cemetery was formed in the following

Order of Procession:
Officiating Clergyman
Cemetery Board in Carriages
Visiting Physicians
Family and Relatives
City Physicians

The attendance was very large, and embraced not only the late doctor’snumerous friends from the city and vicinity but very many physicians from all over the State, who came to register their last mark of respect to their deceased brother’s remains.

The arrangements throughout were purely civilian, none of the orders or the profession to which the deceased belonged taking any leading part, but were participated in alike by all the people to whom his useful life and long residence had especially endeared him.

Upon the conclusion of the ceremony at the grave; the funeral cortege returned to the city, where the members disbanded to attend the informal memorial services, which occurred at St. Thomas church.

Memorial Services

Immediately after the return of the funeral procession from the cemetery Thursday afternoon, the numerous friends of the late Dr. Cox assembled at St. Thomas (Episcopal) church, in all informal way, to express their high appreciation of the character and life-work of the deceased. The meeting was opened by a solo, " Nearer, My God, to Thee," which was sung in a most effective and touching manner by Miss Louise Skinner, accompanied by Prof. ABLE, of Detroit, on the organ.

Rev. Dr. Sidney Corbett then made some very appropriate remarks eulogistic of the deceased, and was followed by George WILLARD and Judge B. F. GRAVES, of this city, Dr. 0. C. COMSTOCK of Marshall, Prof. A. B. PALMER of Ann Arbor, Dr. RANNEY of Lansing, Dr. JOHNSON of Grand Rapids, Dr. Milton CHASE of Otsego, and Dr. Leartus CONNOR, editor of the Detroit Lancet.

The addresses, given as they were by warm personal friends of Dr. Cox, all took the character of affectionate tributes to his memory, and gave expression to the very great esteem and regard which his admirable career as a citizen and as a physician has deservedly called forth in the community in which he had so long lived, as also throughout the State.

The speakers from abroad who took part in this expression are among the leading representatives of their profession, and accordingly the testimony borne by them to the high standing of the deceased, and. to the estimation in which his professional qualifications and attainments were held by the members of his own fraternity, were exceedingly gratifying, as they were felt by all to be sincere, and to be no more than just. The memorial addresses were a fitting utterance of the general feeling of the great loss sustained by the community and by the profession, in the death of Dr. Cox, and abounded throughout with a sympathetic tone and an elevated sentiment thoroughly in keeping with the occasion.

At the conclusion Hon. W. W. WOOLNOUGH, after speaking of the deceased in terms of the most appropriate eulogy, presented the following resolutions which were unanimously adopted by the assemblage:

Whereas, It hath pleased the kind and all-wise Creator to call from this life our eminent fellow citizen and distinguished physician, Doctor Edward Cox, therefore,

Resolved, That In his death we painfully recognize the loss to this city, county and State of a valued citizen; to the medical profession, one of its ablest and noblest representatives; to suffering humanity, one of its warmest and most earnest sympathizers; and to his family a kind and indulgent supporter and protector.

Resolved, That as a citizen his chief aim was the public good, his mature judgment and practical sagacity being never at fault, either in originating or such enterprises as might contribute to that end, and out of his purse flowed such aid as was necessary in the case.

Resolved, That as a physiclan, he contributed largely to maintain for his profession a high standard of excellence as well as practical utility; that his contributions to its literature have been numerous and marked by distinguished ability, and have attracted wide attention among medical and scientific men throughout the country, and some of the foremost publications in foreign lands have been honored by their republication.

Resolved, That the warmest sympathy of the people of this city goes forth to the relatives of the deceased in the irreparable loss they have sustained in his death; but to them is commended the consolation afforded by the reflection that though he will no longer be present among them, the remembrance of his good deeds and sterling worth abideth with them forever.

The seats of the church were well filled, and among the physicians from abroad we noticed the following:

Dr. Leartus Conner, Detroit, editor " Lancet."
Prof. A. B. Palmer, Ann Arbor
Dr. H. Van OSTRAND, Albion
Dr. 0. C. Comstock and Dr. MONTGOMERY, Marshall
Dr. KAZARTY, Ceresco
Dr. H. 0. HITCHCOCK, Kalamazoo
Dr. Johnson and Dr. SHEPPARD, Grand Rapids
Dr. SEELY and Dr. LOVELL, Climax
Dr. FOOTE, Nashville
Dr. Milton Chase, Otsego
Drs. Baker and Ranney, of Lansing
Dr. SPALDING, Lyons.

The physicians from our own city were also in attendance, making a large body of the profession who thus honored one of the most esteemed of their number.

The bearers at the funeral in the afternoon were also all physicians, being Drs. TOMLINSON, ALVORD, FAIRFIELD, VAN OSTRAND, Montgomery, and Johnson.

The chancel of the church was most tastefully decorated by floral emblems, beautifully arranged for the occasion by the ladies of St. Thomas parish, suggestive of the immortal hopes that lie beyond the Shadow of death.

Resolutions Of Condolence.

The board of trustees of Oakhill cemetery, at a meeting held on September 20, 1882, adopted the following preamble and resolutions in reference to the death of Dr. Edward Cox:

Whereas, Dr. Edward Cox, one of the trustees and a charter member of the Oakhill Cemetery Company, and for six years one of the board of auditors, and five years president thereof, has been removed from our number by death, therefore,

Resolved, By the surviving members of said board, that in his death we have lost, not only our presiding officer, but also a most efficient and earnest worker, a reliable and trusted adviser who devoted his time and energies to the Interests of the corporation, that It is with profound sorrow that we consign his remains to the grounds he took so large a part in improving and beautifying

Resolved, That we offer our sincere condolence and sympathy to his widow and relatives because of their Irreparable loss.