Home
Calhoun Co. Gen. Soc.
History
Resources
Vital & Other Records

Pioneer Obits 1889

 

 Calhoun Co Pioneer Deaths as reported in 1889 to the Michigan Historical and Pioneer Society (pgs 70-85)

 
David Aldrich Claudius Beach
Joseph Bently Ezra Brackett
Joseph Buckingham Alfred Clark
James Conklin Jeremiah Cronin
David Farley Erastus Hussey
John Marsters Abner Parmelee
David Patterson Lyman Pittee
Theodore Robertson Joseph Spencer
Mrs. S.P. Tillotson Sylvanus Vroman
Stephen Willis Mrs. H.B. Wolcott

 

James CONKLIN died in Bedford, the 20th of September, 1887. He was born in South Salem, Westchester county, NY in 1807. He was married in Rochester, NY, to Miss H. PADOCK in 1831 and removed to this State in 1836. They came among the early settlers in this part of the State, and became widely known and highly esteemed among our citizens. Mrs. Conklin was a member of the Baptist church at the time of their marriage and was among the early members of that church in Battle Creek. Mr. Conklin subsequently became connected with the same church; and they were- among the intelligent, industrious and economical people who have helped to develop and give character to a large community.

Forty-seven years of their lives were spent upon the farm, five miles north-west of Battle Creek, where they both passed away 'to their rest. They were given six sons and one daughter, of whom only four sons are now living. the daughter, Mrs. E. B. FINLAY, died in Battle Creek in May last. Mrs. Conklin was suddenly called away while watching beside her husband, on the tenth instant, and thus preceded him by ten days, having lived to be five days older than he was at his decease. Mr. Conklin has been seriously sick for many months, but expressed thankfulness that his wife having cared for him so long, and so faithfully, was called away while he was living, instead of being left to close her life in his absence.


David PATTERSON died Friday, June 29, 1888, in Eckford, Calhoun county, Mich., aged seventy--five years. David Patterson was born March 1, 1813, in Centreville, Alleghany county, NY. During his childhood his parents removed to Canadice, Ontario county, NY, where he resided until he removed to Calhoun County, Mich. At the age of eighteen he bought his time and worked on a farm or in a sawmill until he was twenty-one. In the fall of 1834, after farm labor for the season was closed, lie walked to Buffalo, a distance of about 100 miles, took a steamer for Cleveland, and from Cleveland he walked through northern Ohio to Toledo, looking land. From Toledo he came through Jonesville, Homer and Marshall to Grand Rapids, but returned thence to South Albion, and decided to make his future home in Calhoun county. He was unable, however, to go to the land office and locate his land before the close of navigation, consequently lie walked to Detroit, took the last steamer of the season for Buffalo and returned to his home in New York, where he remained during the winter.

In April, 1835, he, married Harriet N. WAITE of Springwater, Livingston county, NY, who now survives him, and immediately returned to Michigan territory, where he located his first farm in what is now the southern part of the township of Albion. This he sold at the end of two years and in 1837 purchased of the government the farm in Eckford where he has since resided. He leaves four children, Louis K. Patterson and Mrs. Electa J. FRENCH of Eckford, Hon. John C. Patterson of Marshall, and Philo D. Patterson, M. D., of Charlotte. When he bought his first eighty acres of land he was obliged to borrow two dollars and a half to complete the $100 purchase price. Arriving at Kalamazoo to locate it, he found such a crowd there on similar business that he was compelled to wait, watching at the window of the land office, two weeks before his turn came to be served. Little by little his later eighties and for-ties were added, with the same hopeful energy, and in the face of obstacles which would have been deemed insurmountable by the majority. His intellectual energy was well matched by physical vigor, and enduring the hardships of pioneer life with unflinching courage, he sturdily converted the forest land of his broad farm to fertile fields.

In politics Mr. Patterson was originally a whig. His first political action in Michigan territory was at the time of settling the boundary line between us and Ohio, when he took decided ground against accepting the terms offered by Congress. At an early age he took radical grounds against the institution of slavery, waged a vigorous warfare upon it as long as it was in existence, and a part of the time voted the abolition ticket. He took a prominent part in organizing the republican party, and in his own community was one of the ablest and most persistent advocates of the restriction of slavery. He was a member of the first republican county convention, at which he was chosen a member of the nominating committee whose report was unanimously adopted. He was also made a member of the district committee of the eastern representative district, and had the honor of calling to order the first republican convention held in that district. He has always remained an earnest republican, but has steadily refused to hold any office.

The Christian denomination represented his religious belief, but for over thirty years he has made his home with the Free Will Baptist church of Cook's Prairie, having been one of the incorporators of that church. All his life he has been a radical temperance man.

A zealous friend of education, he early developed and encouraged a taste in his children for intellectual pursuits. It was his life-long regret that he could not himself have acquired a. liberal education, and the success of his children was a great satisfaction to him.

Kind hearted, generous and sympathetic, he was a good neighbor, and the warmest and truest of friends. Possessing a broad mind of philosophical bent, combined with great mental activity, he was a persistent investigator and reader, and had few superiors among the pioneers of our county. Of strong convictions and independent ideas, he was fearless and able in advocating his views, took a lively interest in national, social and biblical questions, and few were able, to meet him in argument. A man of progressive ideas, he has been a power in molding public opinion around him, and his strict integrity has given him the deserved confidence of the entire community.

In the distribution of his property he remembered Hillsdale college and also made a bequest to Storer college, at Harper's Ferry, an institution for the education of the freedmen.

Without disease his life had for many weeks been gradually ebbing away, until the veil was so thin between him and the sweet rest awaiting him that he longed to see it drawn aside and to enter it. On the afternoon of a sunny summer Sabbath they laid to rest, in the little graveyard among ripening fields, all that earth could claim of him whose rich life went out like that golden day, among the already ripening harvests of his earlier hopes.


David FARLEY died at his home, three miles south of Marshall, on July 9, 1888, after an illness of only a few days, at the advanced age of 83 years. He was one of the pioneers of this section, a man of industry, integrity, and. respected by a wide circle of acquaintances. He was, born in Lebanon, Hunter-don county, NJ, May 20, 1805. When twenty-three, he, with his father's family, moved, to Palmyra, N. Y., where the,), remained until the following spring, when they took up their abode in Ontario county. In February, 1836, Mr. Farley, full of resolution and energy, struck out alone and on foot for the then "far west." He arrived in Detroit in March. That season he spent in locating land in Ingham, Branch, Calhoun and Clinton counties, for other parties. The same summer his father and family came to Michigan. The following spring he came to Albion and located his farm in Albion township. In the fall of that year, November 23, 1837, in Salem, Washtenaw county, he was married to Miss Rosina BLACKMAR, who survives him. Mr. and Mrs. Farley remained in Washtenaw until March, when they settled upon the farm he had become owner of four years previous, in Albion township, where they have since lived. Their house at that time, like that of many an early settler, was a log shanty. Christmas, 1849, they moved into a new frame house, which has since been their home. The first of August, 1838, Mr. Farley experienced a change of' heart, and soon after made a pub-lie profession of his faith by uniting with the Methodist Episcopal church. For twenty-five years, from 1850 to 1875, he was a class leader. At the latter date he transferred his church relation and connected himself with the church at Marshall. In 1859 be was elected supervisor of his town on the republican ticket and was re-elected in 1860, serving with. ability and satisfaction to those by whom he was chosen to the position. The life of Mr. Farley was a long and useful one.


Mr. Alfred CLARK died at the residence of his son, Richard Clark, in Leroy, on Friday, July 13, 1888. Tile deceased was born in Ulster county, NY, May 8, 1808, and hence had passed his eightieth birthday. Four months before his twenty-first birthday he married Miss Ann CLEARWATER, and they began their home in the community where they were brought up. He was of French ancestry and she of Dutch. There were born to them, in their New York home, five children; the oldest of them, a deaf and dumb girl, died at the age of nine years, and the youngest died in the army. After nearly thirty years of married life, the home was removed, in the spring of 1858 to Michigan. In 1872 he came with his son to Leroy, where he has since had a home. In early life Mr. and Mrs. Clark became members of the Dutch. Reformed church of Esopus, Ulster county, NY, in which they were brought up, and with letters from that church they united with the Dutch Reformed church of Battle Creek, with which they were connected until they removed from its vicinity. Since then they have had church connections with Congregationalists. Their interest in the churches with which they had con-nections was steady and helpful. Nine years ago Father Clark. served on the building committee that carried through the erection of the present Congregational church of Leroy, with great interest and real helpfulness, and he has been for years a helpful member of what is called the Old South Church in Leroy. As his age and infirmity increased lie could not attend its services as constantly as had been his custom, but the warm weather this spring permitted him to participate quite often in its Sabbath morning services. At these services he was always early.

The remains were taken to Vermontville and buried beside those of his wife who died eleven years since. The deceased left two daughters and a son. The oldest of these resides in New Saline, NY, the second daughter, Mrs. Charles HULL, has her house in Vermontville, the son lives on big farm in Leroy, and there are seven living grandchildren and two great grandchildren. -Battle Creek Journal.


Sylvanus VROMAN died at his home in Eckford, Mich., July 13, 1888, aged 50 years, 8, months and 27 days. His parents, Abraham and Rachel Vroman 'were among the first settlers in Eckford. Sylvanus was the youngest of a family of seven children, five daughters and two sons. Sylvanus was joined in marriage to Sophrona D. NEWTON in South Albion, Mich Nov 25, 1885. He was an honest, industrious farmer, who gave his means to support the gospel and who ever intended to act his part in all the walks of life. In the winter of 1885, together with his wife, he united with the Free Baptist church of Cook's Prairie. He was a. consistent and faithful member to the time of his death, and although he suffered much in the last few days of his life lie did not complain, but with Christian fortitude, awaited his change.


Joseph Vining SPENCER was born January 13, 1824, in the town of Clarendon, Orleans county, in the State of New York, and died at his home in Battle Creek, July 24, 1888. At five years of age Joseph came to this county with his father, Michael Spencer who located in Emmett township in 1831, who was a soldier in the war of 1812, who was a representative from this county in 1840, who was one of the founders of the Baptist church in Battle Creek, and who died in 1855 on the farm be had made from the wilderness. Thus at an early age we find our departed friend was a resident of this county, beginning his firs t work with his pioneer father in clearing up a farm, remaining with him until attaining his majority, and having only such scanty advantages for education as were afforded at a district school, in a new country during the winters.

On arriving at manhood's estate he left the farm to mark out a course for himself by first going to school in this city, later learning the mason trade, and subsequently investing his earnings in a plot of ground, now in the eastern part of this city, where he began the building of a home. In 1850 he married M. Elvira STILES at her father's home on the Marshall road, who, with two daughters and one son, born to them, now survives him.

In 1852, being in debt for his new home, and anxious to be independent he left his young wife and infant daughter for California, that land of golden promise, where he wrought in the mines, toiled is a mason, at large wages and came home in 1855, not rich, but with gains enough to clear his home from debt. In 1857 lie began the study of medicine with Dr. Smith Rogers then of this city, went to Hahneman College, Chicago, in 1861, gaining his diploma in 1862, and opening the way for an excellent practice as a homeopathic physician and surgeon, on his return to this city, where he successfully followed his profession until his death, prescribing for many of his patients only two days before his demise. His patients held him in high regard, and he won their full confidence. He never concealed his opinions, even when they were most unpopular., but had the manly courage of his convictions, and was all earnest and active Spiritualist, known as such, and as a strong man worthy of respect and confidence, a person of marked vigor and positiveness, brave and plain spoken, yet tender and compassionate, and ever full of active usefulness.

A visit to his son Fred in Kansas, last summer, somewhat relieved but failed to cure a bronchial weakness which had taken hold upon him, yet he kept busy and was tenderly caring for his beloved wife on her sick bed, until a sharp attack of pleuro-pneumonia compelled him to give up, and his useful career closed calmly.


Claudius H. BEACH died at his residence, in Marshall, Sunday, August 26, 1888, aged seventy-three years.

Mr. Beach was a native of Bloomfield, Ontario county, NY, and first saw the light of day June 19, 1815. When of proper age, lie was apprenticed to a gunsmith, and a proper calling it proved for him. Thinking to better his circumstances in life, he emigrated west in the year 1844, and settled down in Marshall, where he prosecuted his chosen profession with vigor. During the reign of hand-made firearms Mr. Beach's produce was among those which bore national repute. He often made shipments as far west as the Pacific slope, and was regarded as the gun manufacturer of Michigan.

In his wife, whose maiden name was Mary MCKAY, and whom he look as a life partner October 10, 1838, Mr. Beach was possessed of a model and loving helpmeet. Three children were the fruit of the union.

It is a few months over forty-three years since the Beach family took up their residence in the same house which is now made lonely by absence of the old and familiar form of its master, who seemed almost a part of the place. The death of his wife occurred in 1878.

Mr. Beach was not a member of any church organization, yet he possessed all the qualities of a loyal and conscientious Christian. He was blunt in manner and eccentric in ideas, but nevertheless a true friend and a mail of sterling integrity.


Joseph BUCKINGHAM died in Marshall, September 6, 1888.

The deceased was the son of Joseph and Sarah Buckingham, and was born March 15, 1807. He was twice married, first to Eveline WEST, who died April 27, 1855. His second marriage was to Abbie SILVER, January 30, 1867, who still survives him. He was the father of eight children, five of whom are living.

He was born in New Milford, Conn., resided some time in Steuben county, NY; came to Marshall in 1830, and for a time followed the boot and shoe business. Subsequently he purchased land and improved a farm in Marshall' township, on which he resided until six years ago, when he sold and settled in the city. During all these years lie has been an important factor in the Methodist Episcopal church of Marshall. With his presence, with his influence and with his money, he has stood faithfully by it.


David ALDRICH, whose death occurred at his home in Marshall, on the morning of Oct. 11, 1888, was born in Uxbridge, Winchester county, Mass., Oct. 25, 1798.

Up to the time he retired from active life, several years ago, he was constantly engaged in farming, and it may be truly said that he was among the most successful tillers of the soil who ever plied that vocation in Calhoun county. In the year 1833 he settled in Fredonia, and a few years later, when the office of register of deeds was first created in the county, he was elected to that position. He represented his town on the board of supervisors several terms, served as town treasurer for quite a long period, and in the capacity of justice of the peace he dispensed equity for many years.

Upon his fortieth birthday Mr. Aldrich took unto himself a wife in the person of Miss Mary BLOSSOM, of Rochester, N. Y. Mrs. Aldrich was called to her reward Jan . 23, 1866.

Mr. Aldrich commanded the confidence and esteem of the community at large. A kind husband and father, an exemplary citizen and a careful, conscientious man of business, he lived a long and useful life.


Died, at his home in Albion township, Oct. 13, 1888, Mr. Stephen H. WILLIS, aged 83 years and 9-1/2 months.

Mr. Willis was the third child of Matthew and Sarah Willis, who formerly resided in Connecticut, but afterwards moved to the town of Green,* Otego, county, NY, where Stephen was born Jan. 5, 1805. They were once quite wealthy, but lost all their property, when Stephen was ten years of age, and. were turned into the street in extreme poverty. He being a cripple, was bound out., but-received such ill usage that he returned home. At the age of seventeen, he with his parents and a large family of children, moved to Clyde, NY. He remained at home until he was twenty-four years of age and assisted his father to purchase a farm. He then started out for himself and worked for a time in a glass factory. He then went onto the canal, and afterwards to the lake, to Rochester, and to East Bloomfield, NY. In the spring of 1835, in company with his future brother-in-law, he came to Albion, making his home a portion of the time with Judge OLIN. At that time there were no farm houses in this township, Marshall or Battle Creek. In the fall of 1835, Mr. Willis took up 160 acres of land, receiving his parchment title from the government. It was signed by the President of the United States, and it has always been a treasured keepsake. He exhibited his "sheepskin," as he called it, with considerable pride, for there has never been the scratch of a pen against it, and there is, we believe, but one other of the kind in the vicinity, namely, that possessed by Mr. Amos BABCOCK. In May, 1837, he returned to East Bloomfield, where he was married to Miss Thankful CASE. She came back with him and as soon as possible they established a home upon the land he had taken up. They were compelled to endure the hardships of a pioneer life, but did it resolutely, making the best of whatever came in their way. Their means were extremely limited, and he said it was often a difficult matter to raise money enough to send letters to the friends left behind, with postage at twenty-five cents, as it was then. Two children were born to them, a son who died in infancy, and a daughter now living.

Albion used to be known as the "Forks," but upon the petition of Mr. Willis and Mr. Amos Babcock, to the legislature, the charter was obtained for a change of name, they bearing the expense. "Albion" was selected because it was the name of a town near Mr. Willis' old home in "York State."

He was always an industrious man, and as a result of his industry and prudence, he has left a farm, of 400 acres, which he broke with his own hard labor, besides other property. he was one of the workmen employed in building the mills in this city, and also those in Marengo and Burlington, and the marks of his handiwork are seen in many other enterprises and land-marks in this vicinity. He leaves no family except a. widowed daughter, Mrs. Hannah M. BRYANT, who has cared for him most faithfully and cheerfully in his declining years, leaving nothing possible undone that would add to his comfort and happiness, or relieve his sufferings. His wife, who had so nobly assisted and cheered him., died about seven years ago.

Three years ago Mr. Willis fell and broke his hip, but although he recovered sufficiently to get about with the aid of a crutch. He has never been well since that time. For some time he has been afflicted with a swelling of a cancerous nature. He had a slight shock of paralysis, which affected his face only, then in abscess broke in his throat., after which he was unable to take any solid food. He retained his consciousness to the last, and died in the presence of his relatives and friends. When asked his thoughts of the future, he replied: "My case rests with the Almighty; I trust in Him." A short time before his death he told his daughter that she must travel alone, hereafter, as he must go to the beyond.

Mr. Willis was a member of a family whose longevity is something unusual, the combined ages of himself and a brother and two sisters now living, being 319 years. He was a member of the old Pioneer Society of Michigan. His parents were strict Presbyterians and he also united with that church when he was quite a young man. He was, greatly interested in the Baptist church of this city and donated largely to it, giving besides money, a window which bears his name. In consideration of his generosity, his Baptist friends surprised him on his eightieth birthday and presented him with an easy chair, which has afforded him much comfort during the past three years. He was always generous with a deserving person or cause, to the truth of which many can bear testimony. He was a man of strict integrity true to what he believed to be right, energetic and persevering, doing well whatever he undertook to do. In short, he was known to everybody as a good old man, and we have yet to hear the first word against his character. He was a great reader and possessed of more than ordinary intelligence. His first vote was cast for Jackson and lie ever remained a staunch democrat. He has done much good to the cause of his party in this vicinity and every election found him at the polls. His presence will be greatly missed, but his good example and wise counsels will not soon be forgotten.


Died, at Marshall, Oct. 17, 1888, Joseph BENTLY.

Mr. Bently was born in England, Sept. 22, 1811. At the age of seven years he came with his parents to New York.

In 1836 he came to this State and settled in the town of Convis, where he resided until 1865, when he came to Marshall, where he has since lived.

He has been a prominent figure in the social and business life of Marshall. During his entire residence in Calhoun county he has been prominent in its affairs, having for several years been supervisor of his township. What-ever business he engaged in he showed himself capable of success without descending to the "tricks of trade," or dishonest rivalry. He has lived a long and useful life and left an unstained reputation.

He was a man of few words, but a safe counselor, benevolent and kind, but unostentatious. He was a friend and supporter of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he and his wife for a considerable portion of their lives were members.

He was married to Louisa RYANT, Oct. 10, 1841. They had five children, three daughters and two sons, The daughters died young. Four years ago the companion of his life suddenly passed away. While resigned and trusting in the great Father, and living in hope of the reunion of the future, life has been lonely, his health feeble until he quietly and sweetly slept in Jesus.


Hon. Erastus HUSSEY died at his residence, corner of Washington and Manchester streets, Battle Creek, Jan. 21, 1889, aged 88 years, one month and sixteen days.

Erastus Hussey was born at Scipio, Cayuga county, NY, Dec. 5, 1800. His ancestry can be traced far back in English history, Christopher Hussey the first of the name to come to this country, being a refugee from religious persecution at an early date in the history of this country. The family characteristics are marked, and embrace sociability, benevolence and generosity, combined with a strong love of freedom and equality. These characteristics, were very noticeable in the subject of this sketch, and were the prime incentives that prompted him to come to the then wilds of Michigan territory.

Erastus Hussey's boyhood and early manhood were, spent on a farm, on the east shore of Cayuga lake. His educational advantages were limited, only reading, spelling, writing and arithmetic being taught in the schools he attended at certain seasons of the year. He had access, however, to a library of well assorted books on historical and other subjects, of which he availed himself to the full extent, at his leisure, and thus attained a good knowledge of profane and sacred history, which prepared him for a teacher. By his profession lie earned the then munificent sum of $225, with which he started for Buffalo on foot, where he shipped for Detroit, arriving at the latter city Sept. 25, 1824. He became the first actual settler in what is now Plymouth, the northwest township of Wayne county. Returning subsequently to New York State, he married Sarah E. BOWEN, daughter of Benjamin Bowen, also, of Cayuga county, and whose family, like his own, dates back to the early settlers of New England. Mrs. Hussey survives her husband. After a journey back to New York State with his family, Mr. Hussey disposed of his 160 acre farm at Plymouth, which now contained seventy-five acres of wheat land that he himself had cleared, and decided to make Battle Creek his home. He came to this place in September, 1838.

Having been formerly engaged in the manufacture of shoes, he entered ,into partnership with Platt GILBERT in that business and groceries, continuing one year. In 1839 he fitted up a store and engaged in the dry goods business. This he continued several years. In 1843 Henry B. DENMAN became his partner, and afterwards married his daughter. The firm of Hussey & Denman continued until 1847, when it dissolved by mutual con-sent, Mr. Hussey closing up the affairs. During this same year he built the union block, the first brick stores ever built in this (then) village. He was the first to advocate the propriety of schools supported by general tax, thus making education free.

Mr. Hussey was a trustee of this school system and a director three years. In 1847 he became editor of the Michigan Liberty Press, an organ of the liberty party in the State, printed by Woolnough & Daugherty, but after-wards established on a basis of its own with Mr. Hussey in entire charge. The motto of the paper was "Eternal enmity to all kinds of oppression." The responsibility was great, as, the press and public opinion waged war against any one who interfered with the rights of slaveholders. In politics Mr. Hussey was a whig, and his first vote was cast for John Quincy Adams.

He took charge of the underground railroad which passed through this section and was a means of running runaway slaves beyond the reach of their masters. In this movement lie was very prominent, and became well known the entire length of the line by his indefatigable zeal in the objects of the institution. In 1849 the Liberty Press and all its fixtures were destroyed by fire, and after issuing a few numbers in Marshall, Mr. Hussey discontinued the paper.

Mr. Hussey was active in the political field, was a good debater, and was often called upon to preside at public meetings. In 1849 the free soil party elected him to the legislature, where he introduced the bill incorporating the village of Battle Creek, which was passed. In 1850 he was elected county clerk by a union of the whigs and free soilers. In 1852 he was nominated for lieutenant governor, on the free soil ticket, but was defeated. In 1854 he presided over a free soil convention,- at Jackson, which is said to have given birth to the republican party. In the fall of the same year Mr. Hussey became a member of the State senate.

In 1859 Battle Creek became a city, and Mr. Hussey was one of the first aldermen. In 1867 he was elected mayor. In 1873 he sold his home, the site being now occupied by the Advent College, and the following year he moved into the present home. Deceased was a member of the Society of Friends, and believed in the inward light, as taught by George FOX that the grace of God was preached to all men, teaching the denying of ungodliness, and that they may live soberly, righteously and godly in this present world. He believed that God teaches men directly; that revelation has not ceased, and that all men have a knowledge of right and wrong in themselves through the eternal principle, Christ. For no man knoweth the Father but the Son, and him to whom the Son revealeth Him.

Mr. Hussey's eventful and busy life has ended, and at the ripe age of 89 he lays down the cross to accept the crown. With Mr. Hussey's life disappears one of the living testimonials of Michigan's territorial existence, its experiences and hardships and the rewards which it granted to those who submitted to its early inconveniences and privations. His life was closely identified with the early history of the State and this locality in particular.


Abner C. PARMELEE died at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. H. E. PHELPS, in Marshall, Feb. 9, 1889. He was born Jan. 3, 1806, in Benson, Vt. In 1834, while living in Buffalo, N. Y., where he was engaged in mercantile business, he came to Marshall and married Miss Delia, daughter of Dr. Luther W. HART, and sister of Mrs. Charles T. GORHAM. Taking his bride to Buffalo they resided in that city two or three years. Then returning here Mr. Parmelee soon joined a company organized in this city to operate at Hastings, Barry Co., and went there to live, thus becoming one of the earliest pioneers of that place. He remained there eight or nine years during which he represented that district in the State legislature two years and. held many other public offices, among them that of register of deeds for two terms. From Hastings he returned to Marshall in 1846, and engaged with John EASTERLEY in the hardware trade. Since marrying two daughters had been born to him and he was indeed happy in lavishing a father's love upon them, but soon after returning to Marshall the oldest was taken by death from the family.

In 1849 he sold his interest in business, and went with a company organized here, by the overland route to California, then the Mecca of ambitious men. Within a year after leaving, his wife sickened and died, and as his only remaining child had an excellent home with her aunt, Mrs. Gorham, he concluded to stay. In 1862 he secured a position in the treasury department, at Washington, and came east again. After being in the treasury department for many years he was transferred to the patent office. with which he was connected until last year, when old age and declining health compelled him to give up work. He came back to Marshall in June last and has since made his home with his daughter, where he had every attention which thoughtfulness and love could prompt.


Died, in Marshall, February 24, 1889, Jeremiah CRONIN, Jr.

Mr. Cronin was born February 16, 1831, in Dryden, Tompkins county, N. Y., being the fifth child of his parents' family. In the fall of 1835 the family removed to Michigan, stopping at Ypsilanti for some months, but settling permanently in Marshall, in June, 1836. His father was of an industrious, thrifty nature, and gave his children the full advantage of such schools as this then new country afforded. But young "Jere" had inherited a disposition for accumulation and he early began work, serving successively as boy and clerk for Albert D. SMITH, Horatio N. BANKS, Andrew MCMAHON, and Michael HARRIGAN, until, in 1850, when less than twenty years old, he had saved sufficient to establish himself in the grocery business, which he did, opening in the south end of the old Comstock block on Exchange square; he continued at that place until 1853, when lie removed to the corner now occupied by William MARTIN, and in 1857, to the present location. Under his personal management his business always prospered, and in 1872 realizing that he could not accommodate his constantly increasing trade in the cramped quarters afforded by the old building, he moved that and the smaller frame just west of it to their present positions; and erected the three story double brick block, both stories of which he has since occupied. For years his business has been the largest of any one mercantile establishment in our city, and he was always in charge himself until something over a year ago, when his illness -- which had been troubling him for nearly six years, and which was finally decided to be Bright's disease --compelled him to relinquish the business to the control of his son, Charles J.

Mr. Cronin was married October 9, 1855, to Miss Susan E. KELLEY, of this city. Nine children have been born to them, three of whom died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Cronin resided for many years in a small but pleasant little home, until, in 1873 they erected the beautiful and spacious residence which has since been the happy home of themselves and children, and at which their genial and social natures have always made their friends realize that the cordial greeting and handsome entertainment so often extended was more thoroughly genuine than' is often met with.

Since childhood Mr. Cronin has been an earnest and consistent member of St. Mary's Catholic church; a member of their cemetery board since the establishment of the separate burial ground, and a member of the building committee, having in charge the construction of the new church now in process of erection.

In politics a democrat, yet he felt that his neighbor could be of any other political belief and still be his friend. He was a trustee (alderman) in 1857, of the then village but although often solicited to accept his party's nomination for various honorable positions, he has always refused further political preferment.


Mr. Lyman PITTEE, whose death occurred in Battle Creek, Feb. 27, 1889, after a lingering illness, was born in Pike, Wyoming Co., NY, Feb. 19, 1821. His youth was spent in his native State. In 1843 he came to Michigan and settled in Battle Creek. He at once entered upon the business career which in time made him one of the men of work our community. What he lacked in means he made up in push and perseverance. He met with business reverses and repeated losses by fire, but met them in that brave, determined spirit which plucks victory from the jaws of defeat, and while he never fully recovered from these losses he did what was far better, and rare under the circumstances, he maintained his honor and paid his honest debts. He took a deep interest in the prosperity of Battle Creek, and did what he could to advance its interests materially and morally. He was all active member of the Methodist Episcopal church,, and for more than forty years was connected with its officiary either as steward or trustee. He held the latter office at the time of his death.

He was a man of strong convictions politically; originally a whig, he very naturally, became a republican when that party was organized, and to that party he remained true to the last. The only time he was out of his house for six months prior to his death, was when he was taken in a cab to the polls to vote for General Harrison.

He had his share of domestic affliction, having lost two wives and three children by death. His second wife and her only child, a bright little boy, died within two weeks of each other.

His strong frame and indomitable will held death at bay for many months; he only yielded to the inevitable. A man of less strength and resolution must have succumbed long, before. He was brave and patient throughout his long illness.


Died, at Marshall, March 16, 1889, Mrs. S. P. TILLOTSON, aged 82 years, 2 months and 4 days.

Samantha PHELPS was born in Cortland county, NY, Jan. 12, 1807. Was married at her father's home in Geneva, Ontario county, to which town the family had previously moved, to Zenas Tillotson, Jan. 12, 1823. Four children were born to them in New York State, and four after coming to Michigan in the spring of 1835. In early life Mrs. Tillotson united with the Presbyterian church, but soon after coming to Marshall became one of

the original members at the organization of the Episcopal church in this city, and always retained her membership here, although she has resided in distant places at different times. Her husband died in September, 1876, and she has since that time made her home with her son Henry A., of Marshall.

But three of her children survive her, all of whom were present at her death-bed. Mrs. Tillotson was a faithful and affectionate wife and mother, a kind neighbor, a consistent Christian, and always filled a prominent place in the best social circles of this vicinity until the past few years, during which ill health and advanced age have compelled her to remain at home most of the time.


Ezra BRACKETT died at his residence in Convis, Friday, April 26, 1889.

In the death of Mr. Brackett Calhoun county loses one of its oldest pioneers. He was a son of Capt. Ezra Brackett, of the 112th Inf't. in the war of 1812. He was born in Elbridge., Onondaga county NY., Oct. I8, 1805.

In early life he was engaged in the construction of canals and railroads in the United States and Canada, and built the thirty-ninth mile 'of rail-road in the United States, which was called the Camden & Amboy Ry. in the State of New York.

After actively engaging in these enterprises for a few years, lie was joined in marriage, in his twenty-seventh year, to Miss Mary DAVISSON, of Trenton, NJ, still following his occupation for a few years: He removed with his young wife to the then newly admitted State of Michigan, in April, 1838, purchasing the farm which he afterwards cleared and resided on until his death, making fifty-one years on the same farm.

Politically Mr. Brackett was a republican. He voted for Harrison in 1840 and although in feeble health last fall he exerted himself to go to the polls and cast his vote for Benjamin Harrison. During the fifty-one years of which he was a resident of Convis the last spring's election was the first in which he had failed of casting his vote.

Deceased leaves five sons, all of whom were present at the funeral which was held from the old homestead, and was largely attended.


April 25, 1889, Mrs. H. B. WOLCOTT died in Albion, at the age of fifty-nine years. Although the youngest of the three she was the pioneer of them all having come to Michigan when only three years old, with her parents, who in 1833 settled on Cook's prairie, near Homer. At ten years of age she was left an orphan and had to support herself; at fourteen she taught district school. When eighteen she married H. B. Wolcott and moved onto a farm in the town of Sheridan, three miles from this city, where they have since lived. She was the mother of the Wolcott Bros., of the Union Windmill Co., on of whom was lately mayor of this city.


John L. MARSTERS died April 26, 1889, in Albion. He was born in Norfolk county, England, July 4, 1818. Came here about the vear 1837. While employed as a miller in the stone mill, his right arm got caught in the machinery and he lost it. Subsequently he purchased what is known as Newburg mill just east of the city, built by E. H. JOHNSON and Marvin HANNAHS both deceased. He belonged to the Masonic fraternity, who attended the funeral in a body.


Theodore ROBERTSON died April 28, 1889, in Albion, aged eighty-three years.