Search billions of records on

Calhoun Co. Gen. Soc.
Vital & Other Records

Pioneer Obits 1893


 Calhoun Co Pioneer Deaths as reported in 1893 to the Michigan Historical and Pioneer Society (pgs 47-65)



William D. ADAMS – Williams D. Adams died Friday, March 31, 1893, at Marshall, Mich., age 53 years.  William DeForest Adams was born in Burlington, Calhoun county, Michigan, June 5, 1839. His parents, William and Mehetabel Adams, were among the first pioneers of Calhoun county, coming from the state of New York to the territory of Michigan in 1834. His father, who was a man of intelligence and. large influence, located the land and platted the village of Burlington, where William D. spent his childhood and performed the sturdy duties of a farmer's son in pioneer life, attending the district school and experiencing the privations and hardships of those primitive times in Michigan. He was a student of Coldwater high school and at Albion college and acquired a good education but did not complete a full collegiate course of study. He followed the calling of teacher for a time. He was married to Sarah M. SETFORD of Albion, Mich., January 18, 1862, who now survives him. He leaves two children, Miss Lena, of Marshall, and Frank D., a classical student at Michigan University, one daughter having died in infancy.

Mr. Adams possessed a good mechanical talent and had a taste for machinery, but his love of study and intellectual pursuits led him to choose the law as the field for his life work. He commenced the study of his chosen profession in 1863, with Sidney THOMAS of Marshall, and completed his law reading as a student with Hughes and Wooley and was admitted to the bar on the 28th of November, 1864. He immediately commenced his career as a lawyer in Marshall, where he continued in active practice until his death.

Mr. Adams held the office of deputy commissioner of internal revenue and of United 'States commissioner under the federal government. He was four years justice of the peace and two years city attorney of the city of Marshall and was also circuit court commissioner of Calhoun county for six years. In these official positions he discharged the duties with great fidelity and marked ability, thereby reflecting honor upon himself and giving universal satisfaction to the public whose interests he so carefully served. His professional associates, who are the most competent judges, speak very highly of his judicial opinions and decisions, and credit him with judicial qualities of a high order.
As an attorney and solicitor, Mr. Adams has been connected with numerous important cases in the State and federal courts, and has filled responsible positions in the trials and determinations of these causes. Among the number we recall the Perrin-Kellogg cases, the numerous cases growing out of the Perrin and Sibley estates and the Wait-Kellogg cases, which attracted much attention at the time and were contested to the end by the leading lawyers of the State. He had among his clients many prominent business men and concerns, which attest his standing and ability as a lawyer.
Mr. Adams was endowed by nature with a fine physique and a vigorous mind. He was self-reliant in forming his opinions, and independent in drawing conclusions. In short, he thought and acted for himself, and was not accustomed to allow others. to think for him. He was studious in his habits and had a taste for intellectual research. In politics he was a republican but not a blind partisan. Though retiring in disposition and having no taste for formal society, he was genial and warm, hearted to his friends and was esteemed most by those who knew him best. He was sincere and honest as a man and as a citizen and will be greatly missed in Marshall.

Mrs. Maria DYGERT ARNOLD-Mrs. Maria Dygert Arnold, the subject of this sketch, died at her home in Battle Creek, August 9, 1892. She was born in Verona, Oneida county, N. Y., in the year 1837, where she resided during her girlhood and until her marriage to Mr. A. C. Arnold, January 1, 1856. In the year 1857 Mrs. Arnold came with her husband to Battle Creek, Mich., and has lived in this city 35 years. The deceased was well known and very highly esteemed in this community. She was a woman of excellent judgment and good sense and in no way calculated to stimulate anything like malice in the breast of anyone with whom she came in contact. On the contrary she was constituted to win respect and gratitude from all who knew her. She had "malice toward none but charity toward all." She will be especially remembered as the friend of the poor and unfortunate whose interests were very near to her heart, and whose cause she, unselfishly espoused. Her bounty quietly and unostentatiously dispensed often cheered the heart that was ready to faint. Surely, considering her surroundings, her record should stand as a beacon light for others to follow.

Nathaniel A. BARNEY. Nathaniel A. Barney, landlord of the Occidental Hotel, Muskegon, died October 31, 1892, of stomach troubles, aged 68 years. He was born at Silver Creek, N. Y., and with his parents moved in 1833 to Battle Creek. He came to Muskegon in 1868 and went into the hotel business; which he has followed ever since. In his service of nearly a quarter of a century he has seen Muskegon grow from a hamlet to one of the principal cities of the State, and step by step his business has grown with it. Last spring he commenced the erection of a four story stone structure, which is nearly completed and makes the hotel the largest and finest on the shore. Mr. Barney was most favorably known by the traveling public which he had served so long.
Mr. Barney's family was among the earliest settlers in Battle Creek. The old Barney hotel, two miles west of the city, is still standing, and goes. by that name. The deceased will be remembered by all the older citizens.

Mrs. Louisa H. BEVIER -- Another of the early settlers of Le Roy, Calhoun county, Mich., has passed from earth to heaven.

Mrs. Louisa H. Bevier died of old age, at the home of her nephew, Elon D. BUSHNELL, October 18, 1892. Twenty-three years ago the 15th of October, her husband, Win. Bevier, entered into rest. Her marriage dates back to 1846. She was a New Englander by birth and a native of Connecticut, where she was born on June 11, 1804, and where she lived about 36 years. Her family were of French Huguenot origin, and her early ancestors came from England to America more than 250 years ago, being among the first settlers of Guilford and Saybrook, Conn. She was the daughter of Christian and Prudence Bushnell, and the last of several sons and daughters to depart this life. The family name included at least six ministers, of whom the late Dr. Horace Bushnell, of Hartford, Conn., was one. Her brothers, Rev. Asa W. and Deacon John H. Bushnell, and her sister, Mrs. Dudley N. Bushnell, have long been known to and familiar with the early settlers of Le Roy and adjacent towns. Dudley N. and wife came in the autumn of 1837 and were followed by John H. and wife the following autumn. Then in 1840 the remainder of the family came. Her brother Rev. Asa W. becoming the first regular pastor of the church then known as the first Presbyterian church of Le Roy, but since 1846 has been the first Congregational church of Le Roy. For more than half a century, therefore she has been identified with this church and with the community, Her life has been that of a quiet, consistent christian, a devoted daughter, sister, and wife, a true, trusty and much loved friend and neighbor.

Her money has been given with a liberal hand for the support of the church she loved so much for the various benevolent causes and to bless her friends and neighbors.

Since the death of her sister, Mrs. Dudley N. Bushnell, four years ago, she has made her home where she died, making frequent visits to her own house near by, where her things remained in position just as she used them, so many years. At the ripe age of 88, blind and helpless, she quietly and peacefully "fell asleep in Jesus."

Mrs. Ann THOMPSON BURLAND. Mrs. Ann Thompson Burland, one of the oldest pioneers, died at the home of her son, William, in Eckford, February 7, 1893.

Deceased was born in Rickle, Yorkshire, England, November 28, 1808. She sailed from England June, 1830, with her husband, and three little girls. Eliza, now Mrs. Henry WILLIAMS, of Whitewater, Wis.; Betsey (deceased), wife of Jas. WATROUS, of Marshall; Ann, wife of Augustus TURNER, of Stanberry, Mo.

After a long and tedious journey they reached Detroit, remaining there about a year, during which time a little son was born to them who died at that place. From Detroit they moved to the farm known as the Geo. BENTLEY farm in Marshall township, where their son, William, was born. They next came to Fredonia where Mr. Burland located a large tract of land, he being the first man to break a furrow in that township. Here were born Alice (deceased), wife of Wm. MCCUE, of Plainview, Minn.; Merenda, wife of John BROWN, of St. Louis Mo.

They endured the hardships incident to early pioneer life remaining tit this home until the death of Mr. Burland.

Mrs. Burland was baptized in the Episcopal church of England and was at the time of her death a member of Trinity church, Marshall.

J. Martin CALDWELL --J Martin Caldwell died in Florida, where he had gone for his health, March 8, 1893, aged 63 years.

Deceased was born in Pennsylvania, September 18, 1829. He removed to Michigan with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Caldwell, in 1834, and located in Verona, which was then a rival of Battle Creek. Afterwards the family removed to Battle Creek.

When about nineteen years of age, Mr. Caldwell commenced his business career as a clerk in the drug store of A. T. HAVENS, where the store of E. R. SMITH is now located. Mr. Havens came from Palmyra, N. Y., and had bought out the drug stock of Beach & Taylor. In 1843 Mr. Havens started another drug store across the street in what was known as the old checkered building, where Preston's shoe store is now located. The store was run in the name of Mr. Havens' brother-in-law, Franklin Smith, but Mr. Caldwell had charge of the business. When Mr. Caldwell left the store of Mr. Havens to take charge of the now place of business, Mr. Wm. ANDRUS took his old, position and commenced his career as a drug clerk.

After running this business for several years Mr. Havens discontinued the new store. In 1851, when the gold fever had seized upon the people of the country and all the young men were going to the new Eldorado, Mr. Caldwell made the trip by water. He remained in the golden state several years, engaged in mining, and then returned to Battle Creek. Upon his return to Battle Creek he was married to Mrs. Helen PARKER daughter of the late John NICHOLS.

He entered into the boot and shoe business in a building on the site of the store now occupied by James GEDDES. The firm was Caldwell & Galloway. Charles PETERS afterwards bought the interest of Mr. GALLOWAY, and the firm became Caldwell & Peters. Subsequently Peters sold out to Mr. Caldwell.
When the old Battle Creek House was destroyed by fire the buildings on the opposite corner, one of which was occupied by Caldwell, were also burned. He lost his entire stock. He then moved into the store in the Andrus block now occupied by Jacobs.

In April, 1876, he moved into the store now occupied by Harbeck & Livingston and continued in business until May, 1891, when he sold out to the above firm and retired from business, on account of his health.
From the above it will be seen that the deceased was not only an old pioneer but a prominent business man, He leaves a wife and one son, Ned Caldwell, two brothers, James T. and Josiah, of Battle Creek, and two sisters, Mrs. Al TICHENOR, of Battle Creek, and Mrs. W. B. BUCK, of Fort Wayne, Ind.
Deceased was a member of the Athelstan Club and the American Legion of Honor.

Mrs. Betsey CROSSETT -- Mrs. Betsey Crossett died February 10, 1893, at the residence of her son, C. D. Crossett, Battle Creek, in the 100th year of her age. Mrs. Crossett was born in Washington county, N. Y., on July 9, 1793, and had she have lived until July this year, she would have been 100 years old. It is very seldom that such age is attained by people whose faculties are unimpaired and who apparently enjoy their life in the last stages as did Mrs. Crossett. While young she married. Daniel Crossett, and together they lived a pleasant and devoted life. For over fifty years Mrs. Crossett has been a widow. She was the mother of four children, and at the time of her death was a member of her oldest son's family. Her other children are Mrs. Betsey Ann LYNN, of Fredonia, N. Y., Mrs. D. L. GREEN, of Chicago, and Benjamin Crossett, of Janesville, Wis. Deceased has been a resident of Battle Creek for over thirty years, and a member of the Baptist church for over eighty-three years. She was a great singer, and the old time hymns were on her lips most of the time while she was busying herself about her self imposed household duties. Her love of music was extraordinarily good, and her last years were passed in song. She had a remarkable voice for one of her age. In the summer, when the weather has been agreeable, she took her daily walk, and appeared to be greatly pleased and interested in all the improvements that came under her observation. She had a horror of war, having lived through the struggles of 1812 and 1861. Her declining years were truly a second childhood, and she looked forward to the future with all the pleasant anticipation that characterizes youth. She was kind, affectionate, and hopeful, and all who had the pleasure of her acquaintance will reverence her memory with love and respect.

Harvey J. DUBOIS -- the death of Harvey J. Dubois, which occurred April 25, 1893, South Battle Creek loses its last old pioneer.

He was born in Saratoga county, N. Y., on the 5th of January, 1825. His parents, Peter and Sallie Dubois, together with their three children, Harvey J., James G., and Esther M., moved to Michigan in 1836, and located on a farm in South Battle Creek, where five years later a second daughter, Anthenette, was born to them. Harvey was eleven years of age when he came to this place, and he has continued to reside here up to the time of his death. Fifty-seven years of life, full of lively interest known only to early days in Michigan, coming here among the first, he has noted the rapid development and its present high position among its sister states. All this goes to make up such a life.

At the age of twenty-eight he was married to Cynthia J. STICKNEY, of his native state. The 7th of April was their 40th marriage anniversary.

To Mr. and Mrs. Dubois were born three children, Charlotte E., L. Louette, and Cayton H.
Mr. Dubois was a successful farmer, careful and judicious in his calculations, keeping well the fertility of his farm, giving to Ills beautiful home a fruitful and prosperous appearance.

In politics he was not partisan. He might be said to be independent; governed always by what he thought was right. All his transactions in life were honorable and upright, even in temper, not passionate or unkind, with none to point, at a single instance where he did them an injustice.

He was interested in the welfare of his brother farmer, and was zealous in bettering his condition as a class. He joined the Grange organization at the first, and continued an active member up to the last few years, retaining unabating interest, but unable to attend on account of his blindness.

Of his family, his wife and daughter, Mrs. L. Louette WOODS, her husband and four little grandchildren are all that remain. Of his father's family, James G. Dubois, of Battle Creek, and Mrs. Anthenette MCCOLLUM, who resides at Lawrence, are all that survive.

Mrs. William GOSS -- Chloe A. NORTON was born in Connecticut, September 27, 1819, soon afterward removing to New York state. In 1836 she came with her parents to Marshall, Mich., and on February 15, 1837, was married to Win. Goss. The same year they located on a farm two miles north and east of 'Bellevue, and in 1839 purchased a large farm in Convis, where they have since resided. A large family of children came to bless their home, only one of whom, Mrs. I. D. Brackett, is now living. Mrs. Goss died February 15, 1893, aged 73 years, 4 months, and 18 days, having lived with Mr. Goss 56 years and 10 days.

James W. HATCH -- James W. Hatch, a Calhoun county pioneer of of 1836 type, died at his home in Fredonia, August 16, 1892, aged 63 years. Mr. Hatch was pretty generally known, having resided in the county ever since be first arrived, with the exception of three years which lie spent in California during the gold fever. He was a veteran of the war, enlisting in the 9th Michigan infantry and was afterward transferred to the 18th Michigan. He was a prosperous farmer and a good man His aged wife, nee Julia AUSTIN of Clarendon, survives him, besides three sons, Jesse M. of Marshall, Geo. W. of Chadron, Neb., and Ernest of Fredonia; two daughters, Mrs. Z. ENOS and Mrs. Stephen SMITH, both of Fredonia, and two sisters, Mrs. E. MARBLE of Marshall and Mrs. Robert STARKS of Fredonia. Another daughter Mrs. COBB, died in Dakota about a year ago. Mr. Hatch was a devoted member of the GAR.

Samuel J. HENDERSON -- Samuel J. Henderson died at his residence in Albion on Feb. 21, 1893, aged 74 years. This death, so sudden, so unexpected to nearly all our citizens, brought a shook to the community, and a feeling of deep sadness everywhere. No more familiar figure walked the streets of our city than Mr. Henderson. Bright, genial, companionable, to meet him was always a pleasant incident of a walk down the street.

He was born at Royalton, N. Y., Aug. 25, 1819. At the age of twelve be followed the tide of emigration from the Empire state to the wilds of Michigan, and located at Jackson. At the age of twenty-five, a carpenter by trade, he came to Albion, and resided here continuously from that time until his death. Always a man who participated in public affairs, he has, steadily held some office or other during his entire residence in this city, For more than thirty years he was either sheriff, under sheriff or deputy sheriff. He was elected to the office of sheriff in the fall of 1880, and served one term. He was. elected supervisor of the township of Sheridan several times before Albion became a city, and after that was continuously supervisor of the second ward. An old resident says that Mr. Henderson was a member of the Calhoun county board of supervisors, with scarcely a skip, for twenty years.

Mr. Henderson was married Nov. 30, 1850, to Miss Julia E., daughter of Dr. PACKARD. From this union three children were born. Two of them, Seward and Ellsworth, died at the ages of two and four respectively. The daughter, Dora, is the wife of J. Russell SACKETT, of Saginaw. Mrs Henderson died June 30, 1874. May 25, 1883, he married Miss Anna WHAPPLES who, with her little daughter Ethel, survives him. He also leaves a brother and sister in Oakland, Cal., and a sister in Jackson.

Mrs. Elias HEWITT -- The death of Mrs. Elias Hewitt, which occurred at her home in Marshall on Monday, March 6, 1893, removes a citizen who has been closely identified with Marshall since an early day.

Mrs. Hewitt was born in Cattaraugus county, N. Y., April 24, 1819, and was married June 10, 1841, at Berger, Genesee county, N. Y. Together with her husband she removed to Michigan in 1841, and settled in Leonidas, St. Joseph county. In November, 1846, she settled in Marshall and lived there up to the time of her death.

She was strictly domestic in her tastes and habits and deeply attached to family and home. She enjoyed the love of all who knew her and will not soon be forgotten. Her whole life was of a christian character and she tried to do good to all around her and especially to her family. She leaves to mourn her, death, her husband, Elias Hewitt, Esquire, a daughter, Mrs. M. A. BLUE, and a son, Chas. E. Hewitt, of Detroit.

Russell M. HOWARD -- Russell Marshall Howard, one of the early settlers of East Eckford, and a highly esteemed citizen of that locality up to a few years ago, when be removed to Redfield, S. Dakota, died February 18, 1893, of diabetes. The Redfield Journal-Observer says:

"An old and respected citizen, a kind and loving father has gone to his rest. Russell M., Howard was born in Schoharie county, N. Y., February 10, 1813, and was just 80 years and 8 days old at the time of his death. His boyhood days were spent in New York state and be ,removed with his parents to Oneida county, the same state, and lived there for a number of years. In 1849 he decided to start out into the world for himself and came west, locating in Michigan. He finally settled down in Calhoun county, that state. In 1850 he was married to Emeline MORSE, who died here in October, 1889. He came to Dakota in January, 1883, and located in Redfield. Shortly afterward he took up a homestead in Faulk county, which he finally transferred to his only surviving daughter, Mrs. W. H. SMITH, of Faulk county.

"Mr. Howard always took a great deal of interest in the political affairs of the nation. He was one of the original old line whigs, having been one of the first in the organization of the republican party in Michigan.

"He had been in failing health ever since the death of his faithful companion of many years, whose loss he keenly felt because of physical infirmities.

"As the junior member of Hatch & Howard, he has been in business here for some years, though not actively engaged about the store.

"He leaves a daughter and son to mourn his loss, the former, Mrs. W. H. Smith, of Faulk county, and Chas. T. Howard our honored townsman."

Mrs. Jane I. HUBBARD -- Jane Ives Hubbard, wife of Deacon C. B. Hubbard, died at her home in Battle Creek, May 2, 1893. Deceased was born January 16, 1812, and was in the eighty-second year of her age. She has been a resident of this community since 1842. She leaves four children: H. H. Hubbard and Mrs. Mary SHERMAN, of Battle Creek; Dan. J. Hubbard and Mrs. T. B. SIMONS, of Chicago.

David JEFFERY -- David Jeffery died at his home in Marengo, Mich., September 15, 1892, aged 67 years, 10 months, and 22 days. He was born in Warwickshire, Eng., October 22, 1824, came to Now York in 1844 and. to Marengo in 1845, where he has since resided. Mr. Jeffery was a man of sterling worth, honest purpose, and strong will, possessing all the essentials of a good citizen, neighbor and friend, and as such will be greatly missed. He leaves a wife, one son, Allen D., and two daughters, Misses Ada and Silian G., to mourn their loss.

Dr. Henry L. JOY -- Dr. Henry L. Joy died very suddenly at his home in Marshall, June 21, 1892. Dr. Joy was born amid the beautiful Swiss scenery of western New York at Ludlowville, on the shores of Cayuga lake, January 25, 1822.

He came of sturdy New England stock, his remote ancestor, Thomas Joy, emigrating from Hingham, Norfolk Co., England, with Winthrop in 1630.

His father, Arad Joy, was a leading citizen of western New York, a man of very marked traits of character, who gave to all his children the highest educational advantages to be obtained in this country and at foreign universities.

Dr. Henry L. Joy was educated at the Ovid academy and at the celebrated school at Lenox, Mass., and took a four years literary course at Union college, receiving his decree of B. A. from that greatest of college presidents, Dr. Eliphalet NOTT, in 1844. While at Union college he not only held a good rank. in his studies but he was a prime social favorite, being elected to the highest office in the society of which he was a member. After the completion of his literary course he commenced the study of medicine at Bellevue Medical college, New York City, from which institution he went to the Jefferson Medical college of Philadelphia, at that time with a reputation by far the highest and a faculty the ablest in this country, where he took his degree of M. D., March 28, 1849. After practicing for a short time in what is now upper New York City, he came to Marshall in the fall of 1849, where, with the exception of six months in the winter of 1859 spent in study in the hospitals of New York City, he has continued since to practice with eminent success his profession.

On April 16, 1851, at St. John's church, Buffalo, N. Y., by Rev. M. SCHUYLER, he was married to Caroline Schuyler, youngest daughter of Anthony Day Schuyler.

Though unambitious for official place and of a most retiring disposition Dr. Joy always took an active interest in public affairs, being elected to the office of alderman and mayor of Marshall and was for many terms and at the time of his death, health officer of the city.

He was also at different times president of the United States pension examining board, president of the Calhoun county Medical society and member of the State Medical society of Michigan, and the National Academy of Medicine. Though not a communicant, he was during all his life in Marshall an active supporter of Trinity church and for some years a vestryman.

Dr. Joy was by nature gifted with a clear strong mind, and was always a great reader, student and thinker, not only in his own profession, but in all the fields of thought. He was broad, generous and ever charitable in his judgments of his fellow men, viewing with pain their weaknesses and loving to dwell upon the bright and good side of every man's nature.

Dr. Joy had five sons, of which Dr. Douglas A. Joy died in his bright. promising young manhood five years ago. He leaves his wife and four sons, Clarence, Louis, Charles, and Philip, all of whom are living at the old, home.

George E. LAWTON -- Died at his residence in the town of Pennfield, October 11, 1892, George E. Lawton, of general debility. Deceased was born in the town of Ledyard, Cayuga county, N. Y., October 19, 1814, where he lived until the fall of 1836, when he came to Ann Arbor, this State; was soon after married to Miss Sally BENHAM and settled on a farm near Ann Arbor; removed from there to Battle Creek in 1865. Soon after he purchased a farm in the town of Pennfield where he resided until hi's removal by death to join the great majority.

Josiah LEPPER -- In the death of Josiah Lepper, which occurred at his home on September 10, 1892, Marshall loses one of the men that has been identified with its history since the early days of 1832. In that year Mr. Lepper arrived here and a year or so later settled on the land which is now the fine farm of J. R. BENTLEY, just north of the city. In 1835 lie went east and married Miss Charlotte HASKIN, of New York state, and in 1836 returned here with his wife. In company with Lansing KINGSBURY Mr. Lepper bought of Sidney KETCHUM a portion of the Rice Creek water power, including a half acre of land, between the present malt house site and the creek, for $750, and there they built the first furnace the county ever had, making a specialty of manufacturing castings for "breaking-up" plows. They hauled their --al all the way from Detroit. Mr. Lepper was in business in 1855 a few months with the late Geo. B. MURRAY and in 1858 with S. V. R Lepper he engaged in the dry goods business, which was continued up the time the firm sold out to H. M. & P. Hempsted some fifteen years ago. From an early day up to the fifties Mr. Lepper continuously operated a brick yard, and was the first man to engage in that line in the county. The brick for the Baptist church, the Marshall House and other pioneer structures came from his yard. He was a whig up to the organization of the republican party, of which he became a member, and it was a matter of considerable pride to him that he never missed voting at a general election of any kind. Mr. Lepper was 83 years old.

Mrs. Ephraim MARBLE -- Mrs. Ephraim Marble died February 9, 1893, at her home in Marshall.
Mrs. Marble was a daughter of Y. M. HATCH, a native of Connecticut. Her grandfather, Timothy Hatch, was also a native of that New England state and was a soldier of the Revolution. He removed from Connecticut to Cayuga Co., N. Y., where he was a farmer until his demise.

Y. M. Hatch carried on farming in Now York until 1837, when he brought his family to Michigan and bought land in Clarence township, this county, thus becoming one of its earliest settlers. He built in the woods and clearing the land around him, improved a choice farm and became one of the most successful farmers of his community. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Hannah SWIFT, was a very energetic woman and had much to do with his success.

Mrs. Marble was the eldest of five children and was born in the township of Wolcott, Cayuga county, N. Y., Dec; 2, 1825, She was twelve years, old when the family came to Michigan and has been a witness of most of the growth of Calhoun county. She was given superior educational advantages, pursuing a good course of study in a select school at Marshall and later at Olivet institute. She, was but sixteen years old when she began teaching and followed that profession some eight years. December 6, 1849, she was united in marriage with Ephraim Marble who one year before had returned from serving his country in the Mexican war. Five children were born to them all of whom have grown to manhood and womanhood.

Possessing true culture and refinement she understood the art of making her home beautiful and attractive.. While her husband was fighting his country's battles during the late civil war, she was left alone with the care of four small children. In that trying situation she showed no small business ability in looking after the farm and financial interests, and bravely endured the constant. anxiety for her husband. Her character and training united with a loving disposition made her a devoted wife, an affectionate mother, and a kind and sympathizing friend and neighbor.

Samuel W. MCCREA ---Samuel W. McCrea died at his home in Battle Creek, March 14, 1893. Mr. McCrea was born April 18, 1819, at Ballston Springs, Saratoga county, N. Y. When 12 years old his father, who was a Presbyterian minister, moved with his family to Dover, Ohio, and afterward to Westfield, Medina county, Ohio, where his mother died. While the family were living in Ohio, Mr. McCrea was sent to Poughkeepsie, N. Y., where he received his schooling.

August 7, 1846, he was married to Miss Frances M. PORTER, at Mt. Jackson, Pa. In April, 1847, he removed to Battle Creek and engaged in the manufacture of hats with a Mr. WINTERS. The next spring he bought out a stock of groceries of Charles LYON. and embarked in that business. Subsequently he bought out Win. H. COLEMAN'S interest in the dry goods firm of Coleman & Brinkerhoff, and conducted the dry goods in connection with the grocery business.

In company with George MORTON, Mr. McCrea built a block in Decatur, Illinois, and started a grocery store, putting it in charge of Fred PARKER. Subsequently Mr. McCrea went to Decatur, when his building and stock were destroyed by fire.

Mr. McCrea was for a time in St. Paul, Minn., and in Leavenworth, Kan. In 1859 he returned permanently to Battle Creek and bought Wm. RAYMOND's interest in the grocery store of Raymond & Sweet, located in a building on the site of L. STRAUSS store. Subsequently he bought the interest of Lucius SWEET, and conducted the business alone. When the old Battle Creek House was burned the flames swept across the street and destroyed the building and stock of Mr. McCrea. After the fire be moved into the old Angell building where Trump is now located. From there he moved to South Jefferson street in the store adjacent to Caldwell & Baker's; thence into the store now occupied by Preston; thence into the store now occupied by Reynolds & Ashley. He continued in the grocery business for seventeen years in the last store.

On May 16, 1891, he retired from business permanently selling his grocery to two of his clerks, REYNOLDS & ASHLEY.

Deceased took interest in the welfare and prosperity of our city and in 1878-9 was alderman from the fourth ward, and during his term, of office served the city well and faithfully.

He was a man of good business ability, sterling integrity and honesty; a worthy citizen and a kind and affectionate husband and father. He leaves a wife and three children, John W. and Miss Ida McCrea, of Battle Creek, and Harry McCrea, of Denver, Col.

H. G. MONROE -- H. G. Monroe died at the home of his son in LeRoy, aged 83 years.
Mr. Monroe came from New York to Detroit 56 years before; from Detroit he went to Prairieville on horseback, and settled at South Haven, being the first white settler at that place.

Mrs. Orlin PUTNAM --Mrs. Orlin Putnam died at her home in Eckford, March --, 1893, aged 78 years.  She was born in Rome, Oneida county, N. Y., June 6, 1815, her maiden name being BROWN. In 1837 she came with her parents to Michigan, locating in Clarendon, and in the year following was united in marriage to Mr. Putnam.

Mr. and Mrs. Putnam resided in Clarendon until 1856, when they removed. to the farm in Eckford where she lived to the time of her death. 

She was the mother of nine children, six sons and three daughters, all of whom, with her husband, survive her. The children are Charles, Frank, George, Henry, John Edwin, Louana, now Mrs. GRIGGS, Fanny now Mrs. VAN BUREN, Eliza, now Mrs. PANDY.

Mrs. Fidelia REED -- Mrs. Fidelia Reed, widow of the late Asa W. Reed, died at her home in Albion, on February 15, 1893, in her sixty-fifth year. Mrs. Reed came to reside in the township of Sheridan as early as 1836. She was married to Asa W. Reed nearly fifty years ago. They lived together in Sheridan until last August, when he died. She then moved into Albion. She leaves a sister, two brothers, seven sons and, two daughters. One of the sons, Prof. M. 0. Reed, is teaching at Deer Lodge, Mont.

Wm. T. SHAFER  -- Wm. T. Shafer, one of the pioneers of Battle Creek, died at his home, March 9, 1893, of heart trouble. He had been sick only three weeks and his death was entirely unexpected by his friends. He was born in the state of New York, September 19, 1822, consequently was in the seventy-first year of his age. He worked for Nichols & Shepard when that firm was located in Marshall and removed with them to Battle Creek in 1848, and has since been a resident of that city. He assisted in the building of the Nichols & Shepard shops on West Canal street now occupied by V. C. Wattles and worked for that firm for many years, For a number of years past he has been engaged in doing city teaming. He leaves a wife, one daughter, Mrs. Ida A. DAMOTH, and one son, W. R. Shafer, both of Battle Creek.

Julius A. SQUIER  -- Julius A. Squier died at his home in tattle Creek, June 2, 1893.
He was born in New York state and was 65 years of age.
He was a private in Co. I, eleventh Michigan Infantry and was an active member of Farragut Post No. 32, G. A. R.

For many years he was engaged in the ice business in Battle Creek, and was well known and highly esteemed. He leaves a wife and one son, Arthur.

Wallace W. STILLSON -- Wallace W. Stillson died at his home in Battle Creek, March 6, 1893, aged 52 years.

Deceased was born in Keating, Pa., April 28, 1841, and moved with his parents at an early age to Michigan. February 18, 1862, he was married to Miss Amelia NICHOLS, and soon afterward enlisted in Co. C, 21st Michigan Infantry, and served three years honorably and, meritoriously. He was in the employ of Nichols & Shepard Co. for twenty five years, twenty years of which time he was foreman of, the engine paint shop. He served in the old volunteer fire department of Battle Creek, being a member of Union hose company No, 1, and a member, of the running team. He was a member of Farragut Post No. 32, GAR., Security Lodge No. 44, A 0UW, Battle Creek Lodge, Modern Woodmen of America, and the Vibrator Workingmen's Society.

Deceased leaves a wife and three children, Fred C., Helen, and Wallie W.

Mrs. Henrietta C. THOMPSON -Mrs. Henrietta C. Thompson was born in Lyons county, N. Y., April 29, 1817 and entered into rest at the home of her daughter, Mrs. ODEKIRK, Homer, Sunday evening, January 22, 1893. 

Her maiden name was THORP. In 1837 she was united in marriage to James Thompson and removed with him to Port Gibson, New. York. Six children blessed their union, three Of whom survive. In 1866 they came to Homer where she has since resided. She was converted in 1836 and united with the Methodist Episcopal church, of which she continued a true and faithful member until transferred to the church triumphant. Fifty-seven years a christian, her faith grew stronger and brighter through all life's added years.

Her life work is done, but her influence still lives and the memory of her consecrated life is embalmed in the hearts of her loved ones and friends.

Rev. Ira R. A. WIGHTMAN -- Rev. Ira A. Wightman, for the past six years presiding elder of the Albion district of the Michigan Conference, died, at his home in Albion, December 10, 1892. The immediate cause of his death was heart failure. 

Ira R. A. Wightman was born at Trenton, N. J., March 30, 1836. He was a well educated and self-made man, as shown by the fact that his school life was limited to six terms. He was converted and joined the M. E. church at Frankfort, N. Y., in September, 1854. He came to Michigan in April, 1855, and was licensed as an exhortor the next year. He obtained a license as a local preacher at Holly, June 15, 1856, and was ordained a deacon at Battle Creek by Bishop E. R. Ames October 6, 1861. He was ordained an elder at Hillsdale, September 9, 1863, by Bishop M. SIMPSON. He was married to Harriet A. BARNARD, November 30, 1862. Three sons and one daughter resulted from this marriage, all of whom, with the mother, survive him. The deceased had made Albion his home for the past six years, coming from Niles, where he held a three years appointment.

Edwin WILLIAMS -- Edwin Williams, an old resident of Homer, died December 29, 1892, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Albert LAKER.

Mr. Williams was born at Great Barrington, Mass., November 25, 1814. When seven years of age he came with his parents to New York state, where he lived until he came to Michigan 43 years ago.

Two sons and a daughter survive, him, Erastus, who resides at Allegan; Willard, whose home is in Butler, and Mrs. Albert Laker, of Homer.

A. J. VAN DUSEN -- A. J. Van Dusen, a son of Jacob Van Dusen, was born at Canajoharie, Montgomery county, N. Y., July 12, 1813. Death, came February 25, 1893, at the age of 79 years, 7 months and 13 days.

In the spring when but 19 years old, Mr. Van Dusen came to Michigan, settling then at Augusta, Kalamazoo county, where he remained until he moved to Marshall 55 years ago. When but twenty years old he was married to Miss Hannah AUSTIN, of Galesburgh, Mich. To this union was born their only son, Jerry Van Dusen, whose death less than a year ago was a great shock to his father. The death of his first wife occurred thirteen years ago.

He has owned, bought, and sold twenty-seven houses in the city of Marshall. He was united in marriage to his second wife, Miss Cicely C. PERKINS, of Beloit, Wis., September 17, 1882, who now is the widow; also of those to mourn, there are three grandsons, with their mother, the widow of the late Jerry Van Dusen. Two brothers of the deceased are yet living, residing, so far as is known, in New York state. Joseph Van Dusen is in the old home in Charleston, N. Y., where his father resided until death.

John P. VANHORN -- John P. VanHorn, engineer on the Michigan Central railroad, who died at, his home in Marshall August 16, 1892, was born in Marshall, Calhoun county, Mich., August 18, 1842, and was the son of John A. and Mary Ann (CLEMMENTS) VanHorn; father a native of Germany and a pioneer of Calhoun county; mother a native of Vermont. Mr. VanHorn was raised on a farm, working summers and attending school winters. When 17 years of age he went to Niles where be worked driving dray, and in 1863 commenced on railroad as fireman; in 1867 was promoted to engineer, which position be filled up to the time of his death. Since he took charge of an engine he never injured a passenger or pinched a brakeman's fingers. He married Miss Sarah DAVIS, daughter of William Davis, of Niles, Mich. There were two children, Charles, born November 21 1868, and John R., born July 19, 1872. Mrs. VanHorn's parents were also early settlers of Michigan. Mr. VanHorn was a member of Jackson lodge No. 17.

Mrs. Catharine W. VANTUYLE -- The subject of this article, Mrs. C. W. VanTuyle, finished her earthly career at her late home, near Crowville, La., September 27, 1892, in her forty-eighth year. She was born December 18, 1844, in Scipio, Hillsdale county, Mich., and at seven years of age came with her father's (Wm. MINOR) family to Battle Creek township in the 'neighborhood now known as "North Le Roy," where she remained a citizen over forty years until in November, 1890, when they went south. Twenty-nine years ago she was married to James W. VanTuyle, who with four sons and two daughters remain to realize their loss. Her sons, James C., George C. and Wayne D., are in Battle Creek township and city, Mrs. Ruby COLE, Willie, and Irene VanTuyle are still in Louisiana. Her brother, E., H. Minor, of North Le Roy, now owns the old homestead where her childhood and school days were passed, and from which she went a bride, into a new home across the way. Her oldest child, Freddie,, while in infancy, preceded her to the heavenly home. In early life she embraced christianity, and was ever active in every good work. She was the founder of the North Le Roy Missionary society and a prominent member of the Farmers' Alliance .