THE CONSTITUTION OF THE FLINT GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
As amended at the Annual Meetings in 1974, 1979, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1995, 2007, 2009
ARTICLE I - NAME
The name of this organization shall be "The Flint Genealogical Society".
ARTICLE II - OBJECTIVES AND PURPOSES
This corporation is organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, or the corresponding provision of any future United States Internal Revenue Law - 501(c), to wit:
2. To make donations of money and materials to 501(c) recognized organizations or to public libraries for exclusively public purposes;
3. To procure or publish and distribute historical or genealogical material for educational purposes, the proceeds of which, if any, are to be used exclusively for the expressed purpose of this organization.
ARTICLE III - BASIS OF ORGANIZATION
2. The funds raised by this organization shall be from three sources only, to wit:
(b) Donations of money, including those of members exceeding their minimum membership dues. Donations of materials are to be regarded as inventory of this organization or as donations-in-turn to other qualified organizations referred to in Article II, paragraph 2 of this Constitution.
(c) Receipts from sales of educational materials related exclusively to the purposes of this organization.
3. No part of the net earnings of this organization shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to its members, officers or other private persons, except that the organization shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes set forth in Article II of this Constitution.
4. No substantial part of the activities of the organization shall be the carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the organization shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office.
5. The organization, notwithstanding any other provision of these Articles, shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on:
(b) by a corporation, contributions to which are deductible under section 170(c)(2), both sections of Internal Revenue Code of 1954, or any future Internal Revenue Law.
6. The organization possesses no real property. However, its personal property consists of book inventory, office equipment, computer hardware and bank accounts.
ARTICLE IV - MEMBERSHIP
2. Each current member of Individual, Family, and Sustaining or Honorary membership status, shall have one vote on any motion before the organization in quorum assembled, may hold office, may serve on committees and shall have equal right to the facilities of this organization.
3. Each member, except Organization and Exchange, upon joining this organization, shall file charts of their family lines on which data is then known and shall be willing to exchange freely such data with other persons.
4. All records and data compiled by the organization shall be accessible for inspection and reference to any interested parties.
ARTICLE V - ELECTIONS & OFFICERS
Term (of office) shall be the two-year period between even-numbered year Annual Meetings.
Any additional officers as may be deemed necessary by the current Board of Directors shall be elected by a majority vote at any Membership Meeting.
2. All Officers shall be elected by ballot at the Annual Meeting of each even-numbered year and shall be installed and take office at the next Membership Meeting of that year.
At the 2008 Annual Meeting, two (2) Trustees shall be elected by ballot, for one (1) term and two (2) Trustees shall be elected by ballot, for two (2) consecutive terms. At all future even-numbered-year Annual Meetings, two (2) Trustees shall be elected, by ballot, for two (2) consecutive terms. All other elected officers shall continue in office for one (1) term, or until successors are elected and qualified.
3. A majority of all votes cast shall constitute an election.
4. No member shall hold the office of President for more than two (2) consecutive years.
5. If a vacancy occurs in the office of President the Vice-President shall be raised to President to fill the vacancy of that office for the unexpired term. A vacancy occurring in any other office shall be filled for the unexpired term by a person elected by majority vote of the remaining members of the Board of Directors with a notice of such election having been given one week prior to the regular Board of Director's Meeting.
6. The Board Of Directors of the Flint Genealogical Society shall consist of elected officers and the Immediate Past President. The Board of Directors will provide direction and advice to the Society. They will set overall policy objectives and support their accomplishments.
7. The Executive Committee:
(a) Shall consist of the Board of Directors, the Chairpersons of Standing Committees, and the appointed Voting Delegates to the Michigan Genealogical Council.
(b) Duties shall be to transact the necessary business in the intervals between the Membership Meetings of the organization and such other business as may be referred to it by the organization.
ARTICLE VI - DISSOLUTION
Upon the dissolution of this organization, the Board of Directors shall, after paying or making provision for the payment of all the liabilities of the organization, dispose of all of the assets of the organization exclusively for the purposes of the organization in such manner, or to such organization or organizations organized and operated exclusively for charitable or educational purposes as shall at the time qualify as an exempt organization or organizations under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, or the corresponding provision of any future United States Internal Revenue Law.
ARTICLE VII - AMENDMENTS
The Constitution may be amended at any Annual Meeting by a two-thirds affirmative vote of those members present and voting. A thirty (30) day notice of the Proposed Amendment shall be given.
05 May 2009
Last modified Tuesday, 05-Jul-2011 12:56:08 MDT