Iosco County Townships & Towns
- Alabaster Township
-- formed on 31 March 1866
- Au Sable Township--
formed on 16 February 1857
- Baldwin Township
-- formed on 06 March 1869
- Burleigh Township
-- formed on 01 May 1877
- Grant Township
-- formed on 21 January 1867
- Oscoda Township
-- formed on 17 March 1869
- Plainfield Township
-- formed on 15 October 1867
- Reno Township
-- formed on 15 January 1885
- Sherman Township
-- formed on 15 October 1877
- Tawas Township
-- formed on 16 February 1857
- Wilber Township
-- formed on 20 February 1878
Iosco County Ghost Towns
- Ausable, MI - first settled by fisherman
at the mouth of the AuSable River in 1849, considered the first settlement
by white men in the county. The population was stated to be 1500 in 1872. A financial disaster
and the 1911 fire destroyed the town and it became part of Oscoda.
- Doan, MI - settlement's mail came to AuSable.
- Edson, MI - located in Grant Twp., it once
had a sawmill to support it. One source says the p.o. closed in 1905 and
another in 1918.
- Five Channels - Located on the AuSable River
- post office was 1912-1913
- Mark's Station - located in Section 5 of Alabaster Twp., it was a mail stop on the Detroit and Mackinac RailRoad. It was named for Leopold Marks (1860-1930) who came from Germany to Sterling in Arenac Co. in 1881, then relocated to Alabaster about 1890.
- Ogemaw, MI - located in Grant Twp. in 1877.
The post office was open from 1868 to 1875.
- Robinson - mail was through Alabaster about
- Serradella - N.E. of Tawas on the D &
M Railroad line - had a post office in 1918
- Siloam, MI - located in Reno Twp. The first
post office opened in 1889. Called Cooper's Crossing by the railroad.
- Slingerland - mail also came through Alabaster
- Spenser's Mill - Plainfield Twp. - had a
sawmill in 1876
- Taft - was a flag station for the Detroit
& Mackinaw Railroad in 1894
- Turtle - was a flag station for the D &
M Railroad - post office from 1901 to 1908
- Vaughn - was also a flag station for D &
M Railroad - no dates found
- Wilber, MI - listed as having a population
of 200 in 1890, only 20 remained by 1918.
©2000, 1999 by Vicki Bonasse