JACKSON COUNTY COURT HOUSE


 

    HOME

    SOCIETY LIBRARY

    MEETINGS, MEMBERSHIP

    JACKSON COUNTY INFO

    PIONEER CERTIFICATE 

    TOWNSHIP RESOURCES

   DEATH INDEX 1886-1899

   DEATH INDEX 1900-1901

JACKSON COUNTY MICHIGAN    

JACKSON COUNTY INFORMATION    
 

JACKSON COUNTY COURTHOUSE BUILDING
312 South Jackson Street
Jackson, Michigan 49201

The Jackson County Courthouse, located at Jackson and Wesley Streets, was constructed in 1927-28 as the Elk's Temple.  It was a very elaborate lodge and a center of recreational activity for several years.  However, because of a decline in the nation's economy and subsequent lack of funds, the building was vacated and remained so for several years.   In 1935, it was purchased by the county from the bond holders for a total of $27,000, which included $17,500 in delinquent taxes. It was remodeled for cost of $360,000, and occupied by the county in the spring of 1937.  Since then, it has served as the seat of government for the County of Jackson.

 

HISTORY OF THE FORMATION OF JACKSON COUNTY

Beginnings of Jackson County

On July 3, 1829 Horace Blackman, accompanied by Alexander Laverty, a land surveyor, and an Indian guide forded the Grand River and made camp for the night at what is now Trail and S. Jackson Street.  They arrived in Jackson on a well-traveled Indian trail leading west from Ann Arbor.  Blackman hired Laverty and Pewytum to guide him west.  Blackman returned to Ann Arbor and then Monroe and registered his claim for 160 acres at two dollars an acre.  Blackman returned to Jackson in August, 1829, with his brother Russell. together they cleared land and built a cabin.  The town was first called Jacksonopolis.  Later, it was renamed Jacksonburgh.  Finally, in 1838 the town's name was changed to simply Jackson.

Jackson County was named for President Andrew Jackson.  It is considered to be one of Michigan's "Cabinet Counties" named for members of Jackson's cabinet.  The Cabinet counties of Michigan are those named after President Andrew Jackson and people who served in his cabinet.  The Michigan Territorial legislature created twelve counties in 1829, naming eight of them after members of the recently elected Jackson’s cabinet.  Jackson County was organized on August 1, 1832.  It was Jackson who, as one of his last acts in office, signed the 1837 bill making Michigan the 26th state.


The cabinet counties in Michigan are:

 

Map of Frequently visited historical locations in Jackson Michigan:


View Jackson Michigan Genealogical Resources in a larger map - Spots on this map include the Jackson County Genealogical Society (JCGS) Library, The Jackson County Courthouse, the Jackson County Department onm Aging where the JCGS monthly meetings are held, and the historical marker "Under the Oaks."

 

©  The Jackson County Genealogical Society, 2014
211 West Ganson
Jackson, MI  49201

webmaster:  JCGS Library Staff

  E-MAIL