HISTORY OF MANISTEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN
With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
of Some of Its Men and Pioneers.
Published 1882 by H.R. Page & Co., Chicago
Manistee County was erected by act of Legislature in the Winter of 1854-'55 and organized in the Spring of 1855. The territory comprised Towns 21, 22, 23 and 24 north, Ranges 17, 16, 15, 14 and 13 west. The county was divided into three townships, Manistee, Stronach and Brown; the name of the first being that inherited by this region, or rather the river, from the Indians, and the last two after their first settlers.
Manistee County is situated on the east shore of Lake Michigan and is in the very heart of the famous Michigan fruit belt. Its superior advantages of location and soil will be treated farther along in the work. The county is at present divided into twelve organized townships, viz.: Arcadia, Cleon, Bear Lake, Brown, Filer, Manistee, Maple Grove, Marilla, Onekama, Pleasanton, Springdale, Stronach, with a total population in 1880 of 12,525. Total number of acres assessed in 1881, 312,024.07, having a total equalized valuation of $1,224,417.
There is more to this chapter, but very little of genealogical nature. It
hydrographical features of the county.
Return to History of Manistee County Index
Return to Main
Manistee County MIGenWeb