REV. HERMAN LEMKE
Portrait And Biographical Record Of Northern Michigan
Containing Portraits And Biographical Sketches Of Prominent
And Representative Citizens
Record Publishing Co., 1895
Rev. Herman Lemke, pastor of the German Lutheran Church of Manistee, is deserving of especial consideration, from the fact that he has spent forty-two years continuously in the ministry, and has served the people at this place for twenty-two consecutive years. Notwithstanding this long period of ministerial work and extraordinary mental activity, he is well preserved and in full possession of his physical and mental faculties. He is a gentleman well informed, not only in church liturgy, but also on general topics. He is one with whom it is a pleasure to meet.
Mr. Lemke was born in the kingdom of Prussia, Germany, November 25, 1828, and spent the years of his boyhood in his native land, where he acquired a good education in the German language. In 1850 he came to America, and soon afterward entered the Capital University at Columbus, Ohio, where he prosecuted his theological studies until 1853. He was then ordained to the ministry of the Lutheran Church, and accepted a call to the church near Monroe, Mich., where he held the pastorate for ten years. Such were his energy and fidelity to the cause that he succeeded in organizing two congregations, over which he presided in addition to his own church.
From Monroe Mr. Lemke was transferred to Roseville, Macomb County, Mich., where he served as pastor of the church for ten years, meantime organizing another congregation and receiving a large number of accessions to the membership. In 1872 he was assigned to the church at Manistee, and here he has since labored, a period of more than twenty-two years. Under his charge there are three hundred and thirty families. This large membership is especially remarkable when we consider that there were but sixty-seven families in the congregation at the time of his arrival here. An extensive addition has also been made to the school connected with the church, there being now three rooms, which are under control of three teachers, whereas until recently one instructor served the needs in this respect.
While a resident of Monroe County, Mich., Mr. Lemke was united in marriage, in 1854, with Miss Mary Buckel, who was born in Bavaria, Germany, June 21, 1831, and came with her parents to Michigan in 1847. Nine children were born of this union, namely: Mary, now the wife of Rev. Torney, pastor of the German Lutheran Church in New Haven, Macomb County, Mich.; John, who is married, and is engaged as a piano tuner and repairer in Oregon; Eliza, wife of Prof. L.F. Brin_mann, of whom mention is made on another page of this volume; Teresa, who resides with her parents; Augusta, wife of C.F. Larsen, a merchant of Manistee; Herman, who is employed in a church school in Sioux City, Iowa; Charles, a teacher in parochial school in Buffalo, N.Y.; William, who is a clerk in a dry goods store in Grand Rapids, Mich.; and Frederick, who died at two years of age.
With all the institutions of our Government Mr. Lemke is in hearty sympathy,and is loyal to the best interests of the nation, though not actively identified with public affairs. He is a close student of standard authors, both German and English and owns a fine library, mostly professional, which many of his leisure hours are passed.