INCORPORATED AS A CITY
HISTORY OF MANISTEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN
With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
of Some of Its Men and Pioneers.
Published 1882 by H.R. Page & Co., Chicago
An informal meeting of citizens was held at the office of the county clerk, January 8, 1869, to consider the question of securing a city charter.It was decided to have Manistee incorporated after the general plan of the charter of Bay City, and to include all of Sections 11 and 12 and 1 and 2 lying west of Manistee Lake, and the northeast quarter of Section 13, the line to extend into Manistee Lake fifty rods from the shore. It was also decided to divide the city into four wards.
The matter was taken to Lansing, and the charter granted by the Legislature the first week in March. On the 12th inst. there was a people's caucus and a Democratic caucus, and on the 13th the Republican's held a caucus.
The first charter election was held on the 15th inst., and resulted in the election of the following ticket:
Mayor, George W. ROBINSON, 115 majority;
The board of canvassers for the city met at the office of the county clerk, March 18, and declared the result of the first charter election as above stated. The board was composed of W.B. Horton, S.W. Fowler, B.W. Kies and W.S. Kendall.
The first meeting of the common council was held at the office of M.S. Tyson & Co., march 23, and the amount of bonds to be given by the recorder, treasurer and street commissioner fixed. At the second meeting, which was held March 30, the following officers were elected:
Street Commissioner: George A. SHACKELTON
At the end of the year the aldermen voted themselves $50. each for their services, and still there was money left in the treasury.