MANISTEE LODGE, F. & A. M., No. 28,
was first organized in the Summer of 1867, but it was not duly chartered
until February, 1868. On the evening of February 3, a public meeting was
held, and the following officers installed:
W.S. Kendall, W.M.; G. Shackelton, S.W.; R.P. Thurber, J.W.; George W. Bullis,
Sec'y.; E.N. Salling, T.; D.W. Mowatt, S.D.; A.O. Wheeler, J.D.; H. Ellis,
S.; L. Lucas, S.; W. Coots, T.
The lodge has always been very prosperous, and there are at the present time
about ninety members. The present officers are: William Wente, W.M.; D.W.
Mowatt, P.M.; B.W. Kies, Sec'y; William Brain, Treas. Regular meetings occur
MANISTEE CHAPTER, No. 65,
was organized in 1869. The present membership is about fifty. The present
H.P. is Allen McKee.
MANISTEE COUNCIL, No. 46,
was organized in 1879. The first presiding officer was Wm. Dunham. The membership
is about twenty. The present officers are as follows: T.I.M., L.E. Morris;
D. W. Mowatt; P.C. of W., Allen McKee; C. of G., William Wente; Steward,
S. Bedford; C. of C., A.O. Ward; Recorder, John Kinsley; Treasurer, R.R.
Blacker; Sentinel, H.T. Thorp.
MANISTEE COMMANDERY, No. 32,
was organized in 1881. The membership is about twenty-one. The presiding
officer is A.H. Wagent.
BEACON LODGE No. 121, I.O.O.F.,
was organized in 1869. The regular meetings are held every Wednesday evening.
The following are the present officers: N.G., Andrew Blaser; V.G., John Higgins;
R.S., Jerome VanSickle; P.S., John Kinsley; treasurer, E.A. Hornkohl; trustee,
The GERMAN MUTUAL AID SOCIETY
is a prosperous and beneficial institution. Their hall was burned in the
fire of 1871, but was rebuilt in 1872. Their present officers are: President,
M. Ciechanwsoky; secretary, August Guhse; treasurer, Christian Hauser.
THE ROYAL ARCANUM
was organized in 1878, with about twenty members. The following are the present
officers: Regent, William Hurd; V.R., N.W. Nelson; Orator, Joseph Brouillet;
secretary, L.E. Morris; collector, C. Waal; treasurer, Dr. George LaMontagne;
chaplain, P. Marsh; guide, Benjamin Burr; warden, P. Cook; representative,
The KNIGHTS OF HONOR LODGE
was organized in 1877. It is known as Washington lodge, No. 700. The following
are its present officers: D., F.W. Chandler; V. D., E.A. Hornkohl;
A. D., M. Daly; reporter, L.E. Morris; Fin. Rep., John Kinsley; treasurer,
Christian Hauser; chaplain, E.E. Douville; guide, William Bear; guardian,
C. Wenzel; sentinel C.W. Conat; representative, L.E. Morris.
MANISTEE ENCAMPMENT No. 66, I.O.O.F.
was organized in 1874. The present officers are as follows: C.P., M.C. Cox;
H.P. Charles Germer; S.W., E.E. Douville; scribe, A.J. Barty; treasurer,
MANISTEE WORKINGMEN'S MUTUAL AID SOCIETY
was organized in 1875, and corresponds with the German Aid Society. Its meetings
are held the first Saturday evening of each month. The present officers are
as follows: President, E.E. Douville; secretary, H.T. Thorp; treasurer, Christian
The WOMAN'S CHRISTIAN TEMPERANCE UNION
is an outgrowth of the great temperance agitation and crusade of 1874. Its
membership has comprised a large number of the leading ladies of the city,
and is one of the most powerful organizations in the city. This association
built the Temperance Hall and still owns the building and ground upon which
it stands. The present president of the association is Mrs. M.M. Reynolds.
THE SCANDINAVIAN SOCIETY
was organized in 1872. Its object is to promote social intercourse. It has
a very large membership, and had a large hall, which burned last August.
TEMPLE OF HONOR
was organized in 1868. William Fry was the first presiding officer.
HEAVY TAXPAYERS OF MANISTEE
The following is a list of tax payers who pay $100 or over taxes in the city
L. Sands, $4,652.14; M. Engelmann, $3,266; Rietz Bros., $2,450.31; John Canfield,
$2,369.30; Ruddock, Palmiter & Co., $1,745.40; Canfield & Wheeler,
$1,674.51; S. Babcock, $1,500.; T.J. Ramsdell, $1,261.81; Nettie L. Ramsdell,
$241.68; E.E. Benedict, $123.65; Boom Company, $214.84; Canfield Tug Line,
$584.21; A.O. Wheeler, $219.11; Wheeler & Johnson, $185.89; J. Baur,
$610.97; C.F. Ruggles, $752.70; Buckley & Douglas, $241.94; Seymour Bros.,
$381.35; Horace Taber, $144.46; Dempsey, Cartier & Co., $534.19; James
Dempsey, $185.76; Carrie Filer, $161.13; Larsen Bros., $200.75; A.B. Leonard,
$182.63; Lucas & Nungesser, $159.80; J.A. Johnson, $238; Haines &
Bemiss, $161.13; O. Kitzinger, $288.79; W.W. Chapin, $283.86; C.B. Lewis
& Son, $381.88; D.W. Lewis & Co., $419.33; J.H. Shrigley, $254.93;
S. Bedford, $115.73; E.N. Salling, $268.07; R.R. Blacker & Co., $279.59;
Davis, Blacker & Co., $623; S.W. Fowler, $287.01; R.G. Peters, $671.45.
The MANISTEE LIGHT GUARD
was mustered into service at the engine house in the city of Manistee, Wednesday
evening, May 31, 1876, by Adjutant General Robinson, for the term of six
years. The first officers were as follows: Captain, Byron M. Cutcheon; first
lieutenant, William Nungesser; second lieutenant, James B. Delbridge; orderly
sergeant, George A. Hart. The company still maintains a successful organization.
The present officers are: Captain, George A. Hart; first lieutenant, Byron
W. Kies; second lieutenant, F.B. Baldwin; orderly sergeant, R.W. Hulbert.
The lumbermen of Manistee had felt the necessity of some organization whereby
they might act in unison for the protection of their interests, but no positive
action was taken until the present season. Their action was hastened by the
receipt of a communication early in the Spring, from the secretary of the
Chicago Lumber Exchange, asking that the lumbermen of Manistee take such
steps as would enable Chicago dealers to form intelligent opinions of Manistee
inspection and measurement, which would conduce to the benefit of both buyer
The first meeting was held on the 24th day of May, when a committee consisting
of Messrs. E.D. Wheeler, E.G. Filer and G. Wilborn was chosen to frame a
constitution and by-laws.
On the 7th of June, another meeting was convened to receive the report of
the committee, when the constitution and by-laws, as reported, were adopted.
On the 26th of June a meeting was held, when Messrs. Wheeler, Filer and Wilborn
reported that they had procured a sufficient number of members to comply
with the act for incorporation of boards of trade and chambers of commerce,
approved March 19, 1863.
The meeting then proceeded to the election of officers, resulting in the
election of the following:
President, John Canfield; vice president, R.G. Peters; treasurer, E.G. Filer;
secretary, James Roberts.
Directors - E.G. Filer; M. Engelmann, John Canfield, C.B. Lewis, Edward Buckley,
E.D. Wheeler, Louis Sands, G. Wilborn, R.G. Peters.
Committee of Arbitration - R.R. Blacker, E. Salling, W.E. Sawyer, W.R. Thorsen,
Committee of Appeals - S. Babcock, William Magill, N.W. Nelson, William Wente,
John F. Nuttall.
Members - John Canfield, E.D. Wheeler, M. Engelmann, W.R. Thorsen,
S. Babcock, Charles Rietz, E.N. Salling, Louis Sands, C.B. Lewis, G.
Wilborn, William Wente, James Dempsey, W.S. Newson, W.W. Chapin, E. Buckley,
W.E. Sawyer, R.A. Seymour, Jr., D.W. Lewis, John Sweet, E.G. Filer, William
Magill, Gus Kitzinger, R.G. Peters, James Roberts, D.A. McCormick, N.W. Nelson,
H.A. Tiffany, R.R. Blacker, John F. Nuttall.
The directors leased the rooms formerly occupied by the First National Bank,
and furnished them with all the appliances necessary to the transaction of