Emanuel M. Duttenhofer
Emanuel M. Duttenhofer, the energetic and enterprising superintendent of the Eagle Tanning Works , Whitehall, Muskegon County, Mich., is a native of Ann Arbor and was born December 16, 1865. His parents Christian and Gertrude (Schuh) Duttenhofer, were among the early settlers of the Wolverine State. The father was born in the Province of Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1835, and was the son of Christian Duttenhofer, a lifetime resident of the Fatherland and a stonemason by trade. The paternal great-grandfather was an honored Lutheran minister, and with his sons and daughters spent his entire life in his native land. The grandfather having but very limited means, his children early fitted themselves for the battle of life. The father of our subject enjoyed but the most limited opportunities for an education in the Old Country and when quite young went into a machine-shop, where he remained until he was nineteen years of age. Young and ambitious, he finally decided to try his fortune in America, and with but a small capital crossed the broad Atlantic and, safely landing in the United States, proceeded directly to the State of Michigan. Desiring to locate in Ann Arbor, he was obliged to borrow twenty-five cents with which to pay the expense of the last few miles of his journey.
Christian Duttenhofer at once received employment in a tannery, and, learning the trade, worked at it steadily for two years, then spent the succeeding two years in different places in the West, but at last returned to Ann Arbor. In this latter city, in 1859, were united in marriage Christian Duttenhofer and Miss Gertrude Schuh, also a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, born in 1840. The mother came to this country when a child with her parents and settled in New York State, where her father tilled the soil and remained until his death. Previous to this event, however, the estimable mother of our subject made Michigan her home. Mr. Duttenhofer owned a small farm near Ann Arbor, and there he and his wife settled and together side bu side aided each other up the hill of life. For twenty-five years the father of our subject continued at his trade, and five years of this time he was proprietor of a tannery, which he built upon his farm. In 1878 he removed to Ypsilanti, where he operated a tannery for a time, and in 1882 came to Whitehall, where he is engaged in the duties as foreman of the yards of the Eagle Tanning Works, of which his son, Emanuel M. has the full charge.
The father is a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a man of high principle, is a staunch Prohibitionist. His brother William was a soldier in the German army and later, emigrating to America, journeyed to California and was lost sight of by the other members of the family. Of the brothers and sisters who gathered in the home of the parents, Julia, the eldest, married August Coors, a Methodist preacher at Clare, Mich. Henrietta married Uriah Tower, who is a merchant and the Postmaster at New Duluth, Minn. Nellie, a graduate of the High School, and Gustavus Adolph, a bright student, are both with their parents. Emanuel M., our subject, was educated in the High School of Ann Arbor, and assisted his father on the farm, later learning all the details of his present line of business in the tannery at Ypsilanti. In 1882, he made Whitehall his permanent location and for four years was employed in the tanning works of which he is now the valued superintendent, and in which responsible position he has given faithful service for the past seven years. Mr. Duttenhofer is justly numbered among the rising young business men of Whitehall. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and active in religious work and enterprise. Fraternally, our subject is connected with the Ancient and Free & Accepted Masons and politically is a Prohibitionist. for four years he has been a member of the Board of Equalization and possessing executive ability, has in this official work given great satisfaction to the general public. Our subject is yet unmarried and makes his home with the other members of his father's family, all of whom occupy positions of usefulness and command the high regard of many friends.
John J. Bither
John J. Bither, a leading business man and enterprising proprietor of the Union Tea Company of Muskegon, Mich., carries a complete line of the choicest teas handled in the United States. He also deals largely in the best grades of coffee, likewise offering a handsome stock of queensware. Catering to the demands of a large city trade, our subject enjoys an extended custom, reaching out into the surrounding country. Mr. Bither, from his childhood intimately associated with the growth and upward progress of the Wolverine State, is a native of Columbia County, N. Y., and was born January 30, 1857. His father, John Bither, a native of Germany, reared and educated in the Old Country, had arrived at mature age before, bidding adieu to the familiar scenes of youth, he emigrated to the United States. He made his home in New York until about thirty years of age, and, a man of industrious thrift and enterprise, ws numbered among the substantial residents of Columbia County. The mother, Frances (Spath) Bither, born in Germany, was the descendant of a long line of self-reliant usefulness, was well fitted when she arrived at womanhood to assume the cares and responsibilities of married life.
Children blessed the pleasant home of the parents, and in Columbia County Mr. Bither received his first schooling in his home district. John J. completed his studies in the public schools of his new home, and in 1877, beginning life for himself, located permanently in Muskegon. He received a training in the handling of merchandise in the store of Albert Towel, and continued in his employ for two years, making a wide acquaintance and gaining a knowledge of business methods. For a twelvemonth after he worked for Frank Alberts, and then received a position in the grocery house of W. H. Fletcher. In 1866, Mr. Bither ambitiously embarked in business for himself, then opening a fruit bazaar at No. 12 Jefferson Street. During the latter part of 1886, our subject engaged in his present business in partnership with Mangold & Hess, the firm name being Mangold, Hess & Bither. the partnership profitably endured until 1889, when the present firm of Mangold & Bither bought out Mr. Hess, and have since been prosperously conducted a tea and coffee business, one of the best in its line in the county.
In 1887, John J. Bither and Miss Dema Lampman, of Allegan, Mich., were united in marriage. the estimable wife of our subject, an attractive and accomplished lady of worth and high intelligence, posses the confidence and esteem of a wide circle of friends. the pleasant home on Western Avenue has been cheered by the presence of a bright little son, Lyman. Financially discharges the duties of Treasurer for one year and for eight years served to the satisfaction of the entire community as Justice of the Peace. Although Supervisor but for a short time, he has ably demonstrated his fitness for the responsible position and thoroughly commands the esteem and confidence of a host of friends.
Copyright © 2001 by Patti Norton. All rights reserved.