Portrait and Biographical Record
of Muskegon and Ottawa Counties, Michigan
Biographical Publishing Company,
G. Hopkins, M. D.,
a prominent physician and surgeon, residing
at No. 171 Pine Street, Muskegon, Mich., has been intimately associated
with the growth and history of the State for more than a half-century,
and is in fact one of the medical pioneers, well known and highly regarded.
Our subject is a native of the Empire State and was born in Washington
County September 3, 1819. His father, Martin Hopkins, a native of Rhode
Island, passed away in New york, at the age of seventy-eight years. He
was a brave soldier of the War of 1812, and by occupation was a farmer,
prosperously tilling his fertile fields. The Hopkinses came of a long line
of distinguished English ancestry, whose descendants, locating in the United
States, have with ability filled many important positions of trust. The
mother, Mary (Pettis) Hopkins, died when Asahel G. was but six years of
age. She was the daughter of Matthew Pettis, and a woman of efficiency
and fine character. Dr. Hopkins was educated in his birthplace and completed
his preparatory studies in Shelby Academy, Washington County, N. Y., and
later read medicine with Dr. Savage and Dr. Freeman Hopkins. In 1840, emigrating
to Michigan, he settled in Otsego, Allegan County. After arriving in the
Wolverine State, he read medicine with Dr. Carr, of Whitehall, and took
a course of medical lectures in Detroit. In 1846 he moved to Kalamazoo
and followed contracting and building.
Some time later, during
1873 and 1874, our subject took a second course of lectures in Detroit,
at the Homeopathie College, and from 1876 to 1877 studied in Cincinnati
Ecletic Medical Institute. In 1861 Dr. Hopkins, in connection with C. C.
Weeb, enlisted in the services of the Government and joined Company E,
Thirteenth Michigan Infantry, organized by Col. Charles C. Stewart, and
was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. Our subject was commissioned Lieutenant
of a company which he had recruited, and with the command actively participated
in the battles of Vicksburg Landing and Shiloh, and was injured July 7,
1862, on the march between Moorville and Decatur. On that account he was
assigned by Gen. Buell, in September, to the camp and barracks at Nashville,
Tenn., and remained there until honorably discharged, May 16, 1863. At
the close of the war returning to Kalamazoo, he then located in Decatur,
but in 1866 made his home at Whitehall, Muskegon County, where he engaged
in merchandising and was elected Justice of the Peace, at the same time
studying medicine under Dr. Carr. After graduating from the college in
Cincinnati, Ohio, the Doctor located in Decatur, Mich., where he remained
in general practice until 1882, when he removed to to Muskegon, conducting
a general practice, and making a specialty of chronic diseases. In 1884
our subject erected the Invalids' Home at Muskegon and superintended the
institution with great success until 1891, when the building was destroyed
by fire, May 16.
Dr. Hopkins immediately
rebuilt on the same site and established the well-known and prosperous
Hopkins' Sanitarium, conducted on eclectic-electro homeopathic principles.
The building has a fine frontage of forty-four feet and is eight rods in
depth, well lighted, and conveniently arranged for the care of the sick
and suffering. Our subject is a valued member of the State Medical Association
and is likewise a member of the American Association of Official Surgeons.
Fraternally, he is connected with the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons,
belonging both to the Sir Knights and the Royal Arch Masons. He also affiliates
with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is a member of the Good Templars,
and was associated with the first Grand Lodge of the order. Politically
a stalwart Republican, he cast his first Presidential vote for Gen. William
H. Harrison and also voted for Benjamin Harrison. In February, 1841, were
united in marriage Asahel G. Hopkins and Miss Charity S. Brown, of Lyons,
Wayne County, N. Y., and a daughter of Ephraim Brown, a native of Connecticut.
August 8, 1890, the estimable wife of our subject passed away, mourned
by many friends. She was the mother of five children, three of whom are
living, two sons and one daughter. Olin is located in Muskegon, Asahel
G., Jr., was the fifth-born; Frankie is the wife of Benjamin Bray, of Idaho.
Dr. Hopkins has a store of interesting reminiscences of the early days
when he settled in Kalamazoo, before there was a railroad in the county.
Known throughout the State, our subject commands the confidence and
best wishes of a host of friends, many of whom have recuperated from ill-health
under the faithful care. November 5, 1892, our subject was married to Miss
Isabella Boughton, a native of New York.