William McCombWilliam McComb, a leading photographer and successful business man, long located in Muskegon, Mich., and a genuine artist, enjoying a large and rapidly extending patronage, gives general satisfaction to his custom, and in his style is second to none in the State. Mr. McComb is a native of Canada, and was born in Toronto August 28, 1844. His parents, James and Ann (Thompson) McComb, were born and reared in Ireland, and, the descendants of a long line of honored and useful ancestry, received excellent educations in their native land, where they attained a mature age. Young, ambitious and enterprising, they early resolved to emigrate to America, and later made their permanent home in Canada. The father, a man of means and superior business ability, entered into mercantile pursuits, and, prosperous in his venture, amassed a comfortable competence. While our subject was yet but a young lad, the devoted father and affectionate husband passed away, entering into rest in the year 1858. The mother, surviving about seventeen years, and a woman of earnest purpose and high character, died in Ottawa, Canada, in 1875, mourned by all who knew her. She was the daughter of James Thompson, a man of broad intelligence, respected for his qualities as a man and citizen. Our subject was the ninth in a family of ten sons and daughters, of whom but four now survive. During his early childhood, Mr. McComb attended the common schools of his home locality, but later learned the profession of photography, in which he is now an adept. He acquired his training in art in Ottawa, Canada, and studied under the most skillful artists of the Dominion. In 1878, determined to try his fortune in the States, our subject journeyed to Michigan, and located in Muskegon. He opened a gallery at No. 19 W. Western Avenue, which he fitted up in the latest and most approved style, and in his studio uses the modern appliances and the newest inventions for the exact reproduction of the face and figure. To the public Mr. McCombs offers a choice variety of photographs, varying in size and prices, and is now making some of the finest life-size pictures ever shown in Muskegon or the county. That he has been fully appreciated by the citizens of Muskegon is evident from the number of familiar faces of people of note to be seen at various times in his gallery, as well as through the cabinets sent to friends far and near. From the first of his establishment here our subject met with gratifying success, and as the time passes his reputation as an artist especially successful in posing brings him a new and large variety of custom. In the year 1864 were united in marriage William McComb and Miss Ellen Walker, an estimable and accomplished young lady of Ottawa, Canada, and daughter of James Walker, a lifetime resident of the Dominion. Our subject, fraternally associated with the Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, is a Knight Templar and a member of the Consistory and Mystic Shrine of Grand Rapids. The family residence is pleasantly located at No. 115 Peck Street, in one of the most desirable portions of the city. Mr. and Mrs. McComb occupy a social position of influence, and have made many friends in their adopted home, where our subject is numbered among the prominent business men and substantial citizens.
Wiliam A. Row
Few citizens of Muskegon County are more widely known, and none are more highly esteemed, than the subject of this sketch, who is familiarly known as "Squire" Row. He is the owner of an eighty-acre farm located on setion 14, White River Township, and which, through his efforts during the comparatively brief period of his residence thereon, has been embellished with a number of desirable and valuable improvements. Sixty acres of the place have been cleared and are now under excellent cultivation, yielding each year a bountiful harvest of golden grain.
The parents of our subject, Sebastian H. and Clarinda (Lewis) Row, resided for some time in the township of Windom, Dutchess County, N. Y., where the father followed the trade of a carpenter and joiner. The mother died in Livingston County, N. Y., and her remains now lie buried in the woods. By a subsequent marriage of Sebastian H. Row six children were born, of whom only one now survives: Clarinda, wife of Owen D. Rodgers, of Indiana, and the mother of three children. The only survivor of the children born to the first marriage is the subject of this notice, whose birth occurred in Windom Township, Dutchess County, N. Y., July 13, 1826.
When a mere lad our subject accompanied his father to Livingston County, N. Y., the removal being made with ox-teams, and settlement being made in Portage Township, where the senior Mr. Row erected the first log house ever built in the township. Atb the age of seventeen years William A. accompanied his father to Indiana and settled in Whitley County, upon an unimproved tract of land. At the age of twenty he returned to New York and there engaged in farming, threshing, etc. On the 19th of October, 1848, he married Caroline Elizabeth Hewitt, who was born in Livingston County, N. Y., August 25, 1829, being a daughter of James B. Hewitt, a farmer of that county.
In 1866 Mr. Row removed from Livingston County, N. Y., to Michigan and settled in White River Township, Muskegon County, at the mouth of White Lake. For several years he was employed in a sawmill, after which he located on his present farm, in 1887. His first wife died April 28, 1877, and two of their five children are also deceased. The others are: James Henry, who has been twice married and is the father of one child by his first union; Mary, wife of Frank Coleman, of Montague; and Ella A., who married William Hawks, of White River Township.
May 11, 1878, our subject married Miss Libbie M. Gilbert, who was born in Canada March 4, 1841. She is the daughter of William and Sarah (Sloan) Gilbert, natives respectively of England and Scotland. They were married in Nova Scotia, and in 1861 came to Michigan, settling in Newaygo, where Mr. Gilbert engaged in the wheelwright business. Thence he came to Muskegon and settled at Clay Bank, where his death occurred. His wife is also deceased, having passed away in 1863. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom the following survive: Mrs. Thursa Rose, Mrs. Ellen Dean, Thomas, Charles, Robert and Mrs. Row. The last-named grew to womanhood in Canada, whence she removed with her parents to Michigan.
Socially, Mr. Row is identified with the Patrons of Industry and has served as President of that organization. He is interested in educational matters and has given his children excellent opportunities for acquiring liberal educations, and they have all taught school. While holding the various school offices, he has been enabled to render efficient services in behalf of the educational interests of this district. He was Postmaster at the "Mouth" for ten years, and carried the mail from there to the village of Montague. Politically a Republican, he has always taken an active interest in politics and has frequently served as delegate to county conventions. For two years he filled the office of Township Treasurer, and has also served as Highway Commissioner of White River Township and as Justice of the Peace almost ever since locating here. In 1878 he was elected Supervisor and served for nine years consecutively in that capacity.
Copyright © 2000 by Patti Norton .All rights reserved.