Roman Catholic Church
Services were held as early as 1835 at the Lasley home by Father Vizoski of Grand Rapids. Services continued occasionally until 1856 when construction began of St. Mary's Church. The first resident priest was Father Stonehouse.
Services were first held at the boarding house of a Mr. Ryerson in 1843.
Alternate Sunday services began in the spring of 1850 with Rev. Reynolds (from Lamont) officiating. The services were held in the schoolhouse. The first resident pastor was Rev. Payson in 1857 and remained until 1859. In March, 1859 the Rev. A. St. Clair located in Muskegon and in 1863 the Congregationalist Church was built costing $7,000.
Building of the first Methodist Church began in spring of 1857 after Rev. J. M. Pratt settled in Muskegon. The church dedication was held June 9, 1859 with Rev. J. K. Gillett being the pastor. Building costs including the bell were $11,600.
Dutch Reform Church
The original Dutch Reform Church was built in 1859. The large Dutch Reform Church was built in 1865 and the Dutch Reform Church on Terrace Street was built in 1866.
Other Demoninations Began Contruction
St. Paul's Episcopal Church-1873
Also seePart 5-Churches and Y. M. C. A. of Advantages of Muskegon, MI and Surrounding Area for more information on Muskegon Churches
Link to Muskegon Area Chamber of Commerce list of Churches
Return to Home Page