Ideas for Interviews
Local/Family Interview Questions
- Please share one memory of your mother.
- Please share one memory of your father.
- Please share one memory of each brother.
- Please share one memory of each sister.
- Please share one memory of your mother's parents. ?aunts, uncles
- Please share one memory of your father's parents. ?aunts, uncles
- What was the location of your house? Is it still standing? What
did it look like?
- Do you remember your grandparent's houses? Where were they? Are
they still standing? What did they look like?
- Were you often into mischief as a child? How strict were your
- What chores were assigned to you to do? Did you receive any
spending money? If so, what did you do with it?
- What were your most vivid memories of your childhood?
- Where did you attend school? How far was it from your home? How
did you get there?
- What subjects did you like best? and least?
- Who were your best friends at school?
- What memories stand out about your school days?
- What did you do during the summer when you were not in school?
- Did you ever visit and spend the night with friends or
- What were your favorite toys? games?
- What was your favorite song? TV show? Movie?
- Were there any unusual events in your childhood ie. moving,
storms, floods, fires, etc.?
- When did you start dating? What rules were imposed at your house
regarding dating ie. chaperone, how late you could stay out, where you could go?
- When you went on a date, what did you do?
- What were the rules in your house regarding the following:
playing cards, going to movies, dancing, eating with the adults, girls wearing slacks to
school, and "proper manners."
- What neighborhood gatherings do you recall?
- Did you attend a church? Where was the church? What was it like?
- Were there any special "religious" events in your life
- Did you have a favorite verse? hymn/song?
- Do you recall an experience with death as a child or teenager?
- Did you participate in any type of recreation or athletics?
- Did you or any of your family sing or play musical instruments?
- Did you like to read? What were your favorite books as a child?
- Did you learn a hobby or craft as a child or teenager? Did you
continue to use it as an adult?
- What was your first job? Where? What did you do? How much did
- How did you meet your spouse? Tell me about your courtship,
proposal, and engagement.
- When and where did you get married? Describe the wedding.
- How did you decide what to name each child?
- What stands out about each of your children as a small child,
adolescent, and teenager?
- What houses have you lived in since marriage? Where? Describe
- What job/s did you/your spouse have to support your family?
- Did you continue your education after high school? Where? What
- What trips have you taken as a family? Which have you enjoyed
the most? Any special memories?
- What holiday traditions did your family share? Eating certain
foods, meeting in certain places, gifts, those invited, etc.?
- Do you enjoy participating in music, art, gardening, needlework,
sewing, carpentry, mechanics, etc.? Which members of the family did these activities?
- What was your first car? How much did it cost?
- Name other cars you had over the years. Which was your favorite?
- What inventions have particularly changed your
- What do you consider your special talents or abilities? What do
you do best?
- Are there any "words of wisdom" you would like to pass
down to future generations?