Ogemaw County was once part of Cheboygan, Midland and Iosco Counties.
April 15, 1873
The first election had the following officials
Sheriff- W. H. Hosier
Clerk-Dr. C. L. Nauman
Register of Deeds-Allan S. Rose
Judge of Probate-Zenas H. Wright
Prosecuting Attorney-A.P. Lyon from Bay City
Coroners-A.L. Cumming and Zenas H. Wright
In 1876 there was an election to see where the county seat was to be located,
Ogemaw Springs or West Branch.
West Branch won the election.
The first Courtouse was built in 1880 at the cost of $10,000. It was a
two story wood building with a basement. The basement held the jail, on
the ground floor were offices and the living quarters for the sheriff, the
second story held the court and committee rooms.
Before this time the trials were held in Tawas City.
1887 a fire destroyed the courthouse. Luckily this happened in the
middle of the day as the vaults which held all the county's records were not
fireproof. All of the records were saved.
1888 a new courthouse was build. This one was a handsome brick
building. The plans for it were prepared by Pratt & Koeppe from Bay
This building had large furnaces in the basement, the ground floor- offices
for County Clerk, Judge of Probate, Register of Deeds, and the County
Treasurer. Large fireproof vaults were connected to each of the
The upper story- courtroom, two jury rooms, a judges room, and a
The jail and sheriff residence was in a separate brick building. The
jail had ten cells for the male prisoners, the female prisoners were in a cage
in the attic.
The courthouse and jail/sheriff residence had water supplied from a tank in
the upper story of the jail. A windmill supplied the water to the
This was situated on a full block which is a 2 1/2 acre site.
Ogemaw County Poor Farm was located just outside the village of West
Branch. It was on 120 acres of land on section 20 in West Branch
Township. The buildings were wood, well constructed, roomy and
The paupers have always been treated kindly and humanely.
Ogemaw Agricultural Society was formed in 1885. They have continued to
have annual fairs. The fairgrounds were located on 20 acres at the
Northend of the Village.
Today the fairgrounds are located on Rifle River Trail, south of M-55.
You are here: Home-History of Ogemaw Co
Next Topic: Towns
Subtopics: Twps.1873-1886 Twps.1887-1914