History of Ogemaw Co · Towns · Train Routes · Schools · Cemeteries · Links · First Settlers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Maps/Counties/65-OgemawCoMap.htm

 

Railroad Logging

http://www.geo.msu.edu/geo333/RR-logging.html

 

Michigan Historical Railroad Maps-

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/browse/ListSome.php?category=Maps

 

 

Elbow Lake was on a 5-mile branch off the original D&M (Detroit Mackinaw)mainline. Beginning as a tiny logging shortline in 1878 running west out of Tawas City through National City to Prescott, called the Lake Huron & Southwestern (38" gauge). It was sold to the Tawas & Bay County RR in 1880, and the following year was extended SW to Shearer, just south of the Ogemaw Co. line about 1 mile NE of Turner (Arenac Co). In 1882 it was sold again becoming the Bay City & Alpena RR, and in early 1883 was renamed the Detroit, Bay City & Alpena. That year they continued SW from Shearer to Alger on the old Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw RR (owned and operated by the Michigan Central) and converted to std. gauge. This was their first rail link to the outside world. In 1884 a branch was built from Shearer NW to Bush Lake, 5 miles due west of Prescott, and in 1886 added 2 more miles to the Elbow Lake area. This whole branch closed in 1888, so Elbow Lake only had 2 years of rail service. Meanwhile the whole line became the Detroit & Mackinac Ry in 1894. In 1896 the D&M got a direct route to Bay City by building south from National City. As soon as it was completed, the line from Prescott to Alger was closed, as the trestle over the Rifle River had rotted out.

(info from nicktheboomer on http://members4.boardhost.com/RRHXHistory/ )


 


You are here: Home-Train Routes

Previous Topic: Towns Next Topic: Schools