History of St. Clair County, Michigan
by A.T. Andreas
History of St. Clair County
 Casco Township was organized in 1849, with William Hart, Supervisor, while yet its population did not exceed 134 souls. All sections of the township are within easy distance of the St. Clair, and of the Grand Trunk Railroads. The equalized valuation for 1882 is $395,680; the number of acres, 22,755; the population, 2,212, including 863 children of school age. Among the first permanent settlers were A. Tappan, H.A. Allen, Denis Bales and R. Freeman. In the following list of early land purchasers, the names of other old settlers are given.
EARLY LAND BUYERS.
Among the early land buyers in this township from 1828 to 1836, were Gardner Freeman and Andrew Westbrook, 1832; William Tenton, 1834; William Cash, Lot Clark, Stephen Warren, L.B. Mizner, Selden Freeman, Elisha B. Strong, Hiram Smith, W.B. Smith, John Thomas, Charles Cook, Edwin Jerome, Francis Dwight, Dennis Bates, Charles B. Keeler, Henley Smith, Seth Beardsley, John Starkweather, Nathaniel Reed, Ira Porter, Abner Porter, James Seymour, Levi Tuttill, George E. Hanna, Mary M. Gallagher, H.R. Mizner, Richard P. Hunt, H.A. Allen, Charles A. Cook, T.L.L. Brent, Benjamin Raney, Olive Hart, Phineas D. Kinyon, R. Knight, H.F. Daniels, Joseph Hall, Eli Stone, J.M. Flagg, Christian Clemens, J.G. Street, H. Agens, N. Godell, John Webster, S.P. Gill, W.T. Westbrook, Dolorah Hill, T.O. Hill, Patrick Healey, James Seymour, Joseph I. Seidmore, Bayard Clark, George F. Brown, James Edwards, Mark H. Sibley, W.P. Hallett, Wesley Truesdell, Anthony Chortier, Antoine Dronillard [Drouillard?], Andrew Turck, Sylvester F. Atwood, Sylvester Armington, Reuben Moore, John Tellman, Portions of Sections 35 and 36 formed part of the Indian Reservation.
William Hart, 1849; Porter Chamberlin, 1850; H.S. Clark, 1851-52; Mr. Chapin, 1853; Stephen Fenton, 1854-56; H.S. Clark, 1857; S.A. Fenton, 1858-63; J.A. Hirt, 1864; Julius Granger, 1865; J.A. Hirt, 1866-67; Fred Bielman, 1868-71; William Miller, 1872-76; Edward March, 1877; William Miller, 1878-80; Jacob L. Kellar, 1881-82.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
Horan S. Clark, 1849; John P. Hart, 1849; Dennis Bates, 1849; William Fenton, 1849; A. Tappan, 1851; Henry Topping, 1851; Alexander Chase, 1852; Albert Topping, 1853; James Robinson, 1853; F.P. Chapin, 1854; Charles Bremer, 1857; Samuel Reeder, 1858-62; Dennis Bates, 1858; Henry Jonas, 1859; Stephen A. Fenton, 1859-60; Charles Bremer, 1861; Martin Dringle, 1862; Samuel Sparr, 1864; Nathan B. Clark, 1865; William Miller, 1865; J.G. Myer, 1866; Samuel Sparr, 1867; Fred Bidman, 1867; William Miller, 1868; Frank Maedel, 1870; Nathan B. Clark, 1870; Lochl Herman, 1871; William Miller, 1872; F. Maedel, 1873; M. Ruemenapp, 1874; George W. Pelton, 1875-79; William Miller, 1876; John Hubbert, 1877;  Israel Walter, 1878; William Miller, 1880; C. Seurynck, 1880; O. Fenton, 1880; M. Reumenapp, 1881; Isaac C. Burch, 1881; Isaac C. Burch, 1881; George W. Pelton, 1882.
The result of the election of April, 1882, was as follows: Supervisor - Jacob L. Keller, Dem.; Clerk - Martin Ruemenapp; Treasurer - Conrad Marth; Highway Commissioner - Charles Zentgrebe; Justice of the Peace - George W. Pelton; School Inspector - One year, Isaac C. Burch; two years, Henry Kammer; Drain Commissioner - George W. Pelton; Constables - Fred Rohl, Henry Stahlbuck, Michael Shindler, C. Baumgarten.
Casco, in the township of that name, is situated four miles north of Lake St. Clair, and twenty miles southwest of Port Huron.