[St. Clair County Marriges & Deaths]
History of St. Clair County, Michigan
by A.T. Andreas
History of St. Clair County
 Grant Township was organized in 1867, with Thomas Dawson, Supervisor. Its area is 19,072 acres, watered by Black River, Silver and Plum Creeks. The population of the township in 1845, with Burchville, of which it formed a part, was 358. In 1880, the population of the town, separately, was 1,357. The equalized value is $412,240. Among the first permanent settlers were John McGill, Cyrus and Nelson Potter, H. Cadwell and William Bice. Gratiot Centre and Jeddo are the only villages in the township.
EARLY LAND BUYERS.
Among the first land buyers in this district were Jonathan Burtch, James E. Bettney, Charles H. Carroll, Silas Dean, Joseph Granger, J. M. Geel, Lemuel Palmerly, T. Jones, F. Stephens, W. Truesdail, Hugh M. Moffat, C. M. Hayward, Arden H. Bullard, Lorenzo M. Mason, Eben Batcheller, Nelson Potter, Horace Cadwell, Hiram Birch, Asa O. Robinson, C. L. Gage, Nathan Ward, Samuel Swift, Sheldon Thorp, Allen Fish, J. L. Kelsey, Hiram J. Witherell, Daniel B. Harrington, Cummings Sanborn, Timothy J. Wheaton, Alvah Sweetser, John Beard, Cyrus Moore, H. W. Delevan, William Steele, Elisha Dowd, L. A. Whitford, George Brown, Patrick Brady, Alonzo Crittenden, William J. Edson, John McDonald, James Smith, Allen R. Atkins, James Cooley, James Beard, Louis Thibault, B. White, George N. Bower, the Gagnion brothers, Charles Peltier, Ai Beard, Clift Comstock, William Atkins, Charles Farr, Abner Coburn, W. P. Barber, Owen Ransom, A. A. Bradley, William Hoffman, Hugh Robinson.
Thomas Dawson, 1867-69; John McGill, 1870-72; D. G. Finlayson, 1873-74; John McGill, 1875-80; Clark Strevel, 1881-82.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
John Hickey, 1874; Nelson Potter, 1875; John McGill, 1876; Michael Myron, 1877-81; John Hickey, 1878; D. F. Finlayson, 1879; John McGill, 1880; Thomas Myron, 1881; John D. McDougall, 1882.
The officers elected in April, 1882, were: Supervisor - Clark Strevel; Clerk - Eugene Carey; Treasurer - Michael Myron; Highway Commissioner - Nathaniel Kerr; School Inspectors - Two years, William Myron, Jr.; one year, N. D. Campbell; Justice of the Peace - J. D. McDugald; Constables - James O'Connor, William Burns, John Cure, William Elliott.
 Jeddo, in Grant Township, seventeen miles northwest of Port Huron, is in the midst of a good agricultural district.
The biographical sketches which follow deal with the personal history of many of the pioneers, together with that of old settlers and others, whose history is closely identified with this township:
N. R. Avery
Neil D. Campbell
William Henry Carey
Smith Walter Downs
D. G. Finlayson
William J. Gardner
William H. Lynn
Daniel J. Pray
John A. Ross