History of St. Clair County, Michigan
by A.T. Andreas
History of St. Clair County
 Riley Township was settled by the Otchipwes of the Riley band of Indians originally. In 1836, the American land buyers flocked thither to purchase the United States lands then brought under notice. In 1835, the Wells, Mansfields and others located on the southern limits of the town and must be considered the pioneers of Riley. The equalized valuation of real and personal property, in 1882, was $477,280. The population in 1845 was 234; in 1850, 311; in 1854, 593; in 1864, 1,075; and in June, 1880, 2,002. The area of the township is 23,800 acres; number of school children, 596.
 EARLY LAND BUYERS.
The land buyers of 1836 were Stephen H. Web, William Blakely, Oliver Tuttle, Supply Chase, Theo. Romeyn, George E. Hand, James Edgerly, George Whiting, Jacob Wintersteen, Moses N. Griswold, John Lown, Jeremiah Thorp, Nathan Thorp, Justin Corey, Charles Sherritt, Ira Babcock, William Butler, R. Seaman, Edward Smith, J.C. Chittenden, Ruth and Elizabeth Hubbard, Alex. Henry, Ann M. Kendrick, William Dunn, J.C. Roberts, Daniel Maginnis, Eliza Ann Hart, Josiah Snow, Julius Day, John LeClair, Andrew Youngs, A.D. Walsh, J. Eldrick, David Mansfield, William Wells, Israel Amsboy, Jeremiah Thorp, Jedediah Welder, R. McMullan, Isaac Garfield, Delos Conklin, Charles Chartrand, Otho Bell, W.W. Wilcox, Lyman Granger, Andrew Sutherland, Levi Parsons, Charles Collins, A.G. Vanderbilt, W.H. Whipple, J.E. Lathrop, William Dake, Jacob Winn, N. Tallmage, Henry and V.R. Hankins, Benjamin Thornton, Syl. DeLand, Susan Thompson, Sarah Francis, and Daniel Hewitt, E. Chamberlain, Ransom Hullier, Lucius Oakes.
Oel Rix, 1842; Amasa S. Welch, 1843; John Lown, 1844-45; Amasa S. Welch, 1846-47; John Lown, 1848; John P. Gleeson, 1849; A.S. Welch, 1850; Henry Rix, 1851-53; Oel Rix, 1854; Henry Rix, 1855; Oel Rix, 1856; Ezra Hazen, 1857-59; A.S. Welch, 1860; Ezra Hazen, 1861-64; Henry Rix, 1865-66; Ezra Hazen, 1867; William Eaton, 1868; Ezra Hazen, 1869; William Eaton, 1870; Constant Simmonds, 1871-82.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
Daniel Hewitt, 1839; Hugh Gregg, 1840; John Grinell, 1841; John Lown, 1842; Daniel Hewitt, 1843; Erastus W. Cross, 1844; John Grinnell, 1845; John Lown, 1846; Daniel Hewitt, 1847; Harry Rix, 1848; Nicholas Meyers, 1848; Henry Rix, 1849; Robert Stewart, 1850; Azel Day, 1851; George W. Chilson, 1853; Henry Rix, 1853; Josiah G. Gooding, 1854; George W. Chilson, 1855; Ezra Hazen, 1857-73; E. Ramsay, 1857; Henry Rix, 1858; John House, 1859-66; Francis Hewitt, 1860; George W. Chilson, 1860-64; Sherman Bishop, 1863; William Eaton, 1868; Joseph H. Dutton, 1868; Benjamin Filker, 1872; Henry C. Mansfield, 1874; Aaron Smoker, 1873-74; Peter Cantine, 1875; Ezra Hazen, 1877; Henry C. Mansfield, 1878; Peter Cantine, 1879; Martin Ellenwood, 1880; Ezra Hazen, 1881; Peter Foley, 1881; Constant Simmons, 1882.
Memphis was settled in 1835, and incorporated as a village in 1865. In 1878, its population was stated to be 800, while at present it is only 600. This village is prettily located on Belle River, on the line between Macomb and St. Clair Counties, twenty-seven miles northeast of Mount Clemens, twenty-two miles southwest of Port Huron, seven miles north of Richmond, and about the same distance northeast of Armada. There are three churches in the village, vix.: The Congregational, Methodist and Adventist, with a graded school.
The first effort to reclaim the land now occupied by the village of Memphis was made by the Wells family, one member of which still lives just north of the village. James Wells, the father, was born in Albany, in 1772, a descendant of one of two brothers who emigrated from England and settled in New York shortly prior to the war of the Revolution. His family consisted of three sons and three daughters, of whom one son and one daughter are living. Their house, a comfortable log one, covered with shingles, was the first structure of any kind of to succeed the wigwams of the Indians, and in good old pioneer style, for all purposes of hospitality or for meetings, the "latch string was always out." The family had dealings to considerable extent and learned much of their ways and bear testimony that in nearly all instances they were honest in their dealings and faithful in their promises. Especial mention is made of the good qualities of John Riley, the Chippewa chief. His family and that of Black Cloud with some others were leading spirits among them. At this time (1835), the former owned a tract of land granted by Government, at what is now Port Huron, on the south of Black River. Only two houses, one log and one frame, were to be seen at that point. John Riley was born in the Mohawk Valley, of a German father and Indian mother, and possessed greater intelligence  than the full Indian. He, with many of his tribe, made annual visits to the woods near the village, for the purpose of making maple sugar, coming in February or March and returning when the season was over. In the spring of 1836, he came early for this purpose, and one pleasant Sunday, as he would not allow any work to be done that day, he took a walk in the woods, accompanied by a boy. Coming upon a large hollow log which had the appearance of being the home of some animal, he said to the boy, "Abs-co-in, Hash-a-pun!" (John! a raccoon) directing the boy to crawl in the log and investigate. The young Abos-co-in soon came out with great speed shouting "mo-q-wash! mo-q-wash!" (a bear! a bear!!). Riley drew his hatchet, and as the bear's head appeared, struck her a powerful blow with the edge of the weapon, burying it in her brains. She weighed over 400 pounds, and furnished material for a continuous feast. The Indians gave names to the whites to correspond with some habit or to commemorate some gift. The elder Mr. Wells they called mo-quash (bear), because he was a hunter of that animal. Abram Wells, was caw-ke-chee (porcupine), he had given them a porcupine, the flesh of which they relish. Anthony Wells was mish-a-way (Elk); William Wells, wah-wa-cash (deer); Mr. Welch, mus-co-danse (Indian hole or clearing), from the fact that he bought land on which there was an Indian field, on which there were bearing apple trees when the whites arrived. Riley afterward retired to the Saginaw country, where he died in 1862.
His first wife was buried on land since known as the "Fitz Patrick" place, and as the roads came to be straightened and worked, her body was exhumed and stolen away. One of the chiefs of this tribe, Macompte, went to England previous to this time and performed the feat of shooting an apple held in the fingers of one of the royal family, with his rifle. The bullet pierced the apple, and the hand was unhurt. Tip-se-co, an Indian well known to the settlers of Macomb, also made a visit to the same country. He was a man of great speed and skill in wrestling, his principal feat being to run to a stake ten rods away and return before a horse and rider could make the like trip. This Indian is still living in Isabella County.
The next family in the place was that of Potter, then Welch, Moore, Slater, etc. The first death was that of Bird, the first school teacher, who was buried in a lot a little south of the Congregational Church, which Mr. Wells had designed for a cemetery. The wife of Joshua Eaton was the next to be buried here. Her body was afterward removed, but that of Bird still lies where it was placed.
In the winter of 1836-37, an Indian went out hunting and did not return. A heavy snow storm prevailing at the time, obliterated all trace of him, and although a thorough search was made, he could not be found. One day in spring, 1837, as Hartford Phillips was piloting a few lumbermen through the woods, a gun was discovered standing by a tree, and near by the body of the missing Indian, crushed beneath the fallen tree, which he had chopped down. The Indians identified the body and buried it. Three years later, the little settlement was called to mourn its first fatal accident - the death of Anthony Wells. About this time Carleton Sabin purchased of Wells the 80-acre lot on which the southwest corner of the village is located, and lots were generally sold over the plat. It was discovered that an excellent water power existed here, which was developed in 1840 by Oel Rix and Dr. Sabin. The latter built a saw mill, while the former built a flourishing mill. The nearest post office was six miles distant, at Phillip Cudworth's; but now the Memphians sought for an office of their own, which they did not succeed in obtaining until eight years later. The naming of the village was then taken up. Belle River passes through the northern portion of the village, and so some of the inhabitants urged the adoption of the name "Belleview," others, who admired James G. Birney and his party, desired it should be named "Birney," while others urged the name "Riley," in honor of the Indian chief who resided there. The name Memphis was suggested at length and adopted.
The first physician was Dr. Sabin, who came in 1844, and remained there until 1854. He was succeeded in practice by Dr. Cole.
The first religious services held in the "Wells settlement" was at the house of Mr. Wells, and was conducted by Mrs. Chilson, whose son now lives in the village. This woman was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and having the ability to address an audience in public, she thought herself called to preaching, which she did on many occasions. This was  in the 1837. Soon after this, Elder Simons also preached in the house of Mr. Wells. In 1839, a Baptist Church was formed at the house of William Smith, who lived south of the village. The members of the organization were William Smith, William Wells, George Williams and Deborah Simmons and their mother, Mrs. William Smith, Johanna Eaton, and wife, Solomon Eaton and wife, J. Eaton, Jr., and wife, old Mrs. Wells and Durfee Simmons, who was chosen Deacon. A house of worship was built for the church just formed, in the south part of the settlement, on the east side of the street. This was a small building, and was afterward removed south and turned into a dwelling house. No other edifice of that denomination has since been erected. During the summer of 1837, a Sabbath School was organized, which was not under the care of any denomination, but joined in by all. Sabbath school exercises have been held almost continuously since that time. The Methodist class was the next to be formed, and in 1840, the Congregational Church was formed. This was effected at the house of Deacon A. Gilbert under the advice and direction of Rev. Seth Hardy, of Romeo. Seventeen members constituted the church at its organization, six of whom were from Romeo. Their house of worship was built in 1842. The Methodist house was erected a few years later. The first pastor of the Congregational Church was Rev. Charles Kollog, in 1841. He was succeeded by Rev. W.P. Russell, who labored with the church for the welfare of the community from July, 1848, to the time of his death in 1880. The first school was taught by Mr. Bird, is a small log schoolhouse which stood on the west side of the village in the town of Riley. This man was a great believer in the efficacy of the "birch" in subduing the total depravity of average childhood, and perseveringly applied it on the slightest provocation. The first female teacher was Harriet Stewart. Marriages were undoubtedly celebrated at an early date, but who was first doth yet appear. Miron Sallsbury and Amelia S. Ellenwood were the first couple married by Rev. W.P. Russell, and he did his work in so satisfactory a manner that he was called upon afterward to united the fates of 396 pairs.
The first frame building was a barn erected for Anthony Wells. The first house was a small frame one, by Mr. Rix, but the first substantial residence was that of Lewis Gilbert, in 1840, which is doing good service still. The first store was that of Oel Rix, who had a small stock of goods to meet the needs of his workmen. Among the first settlers of Memphis still living among us may be mentioned Hartford Phillips, who was born in Chenango County, N.Y., in 1809, and came to Memphis in 1836, having lived here continuously since that time. His wife, Polly Wade, of Rhode Island, a descendant of Roger Williams, of Puritan fame, died in 1879, at the age of seventy-three years. There are others also who have given the helping hand to all the industries and improvements of our village, and to them all we say, peace to the closing days of life and joy in the bright hereafter.
The village of Memphis was incorporated in the south schoolhouse on the 4th day of April, 1865. The name was given some ten years previously. A portion of the citizens wished the young village to have the name Birney, after J.G. Birney; others wanted the name Belleview, as the Belle River passed through the place. The name Memphis, however, prevailed, which was given after the Egyptian city, and custom has made firm the name then suggested. An election was held on the date above given, at which the following were chosen: Sherman S. Eaton, President; Lewis Granger, Linus Gilbert, Oel Rix, Solon Spafford, Joseph M. Beach, Hiram Burk, Trustees; L.G. Sperry, Clerk; Orrin Granger, Treasurer.
The principal village officers from 1866 to the present time are as follows:
|1866 - Sherman S. Eaton, President; Clark B. Hall, Clerk; Orrin Granger, Treasurer.|
|1867 - W.P. Russell, President; Ezra Hazen, Clerk; G.L. Perkins, Treasurer.|
|1868 - R.B. King, President; Joseph H. Dutton, Clerk; Orrin Granger, Treasurer.|
|1869 - Lewis Granger, President; Joseph H. Dutton, Clerk; H.C. Mansfield, Treasurer.|
|1870 - Augustus M. Hodges, President; H.C. Mansfield, Treasurer; J.H. Dutton, Clerk.|
|1871 - A.M. Hodges, President; J.H. Dutton, Clerk; H.C. Mansfield, Treasurer.|
|1872 - Hiram Burk, President; J.M. Dutton, Clerk; H.C. Mansfield, Treasurer.|
|1873 - Sherman Eaton, President; J.H. Dutton, Clerk; H.C. Mansfield, Treasurer.|
|1874 - Sherman S. Eaton, President; J.H. Dutton, Clerk; H.C. Mansfield, Treasurer.|
|1875 - George L. Perkins, President; H.C. Mansfield, Clerk; Chester S. Gilbert, Treasurer.|
| 1876 - G.L. Perkins, President; J.H. Dutton, Clerk; H.C. Mansfield, Treasurer.|
|1877 - Francis E. Spencer, President; J.H. Dutton, Clerk; H.C. Mansfield, Treasurer.|
|1878 - Sherman S. Eaton, President; J.H. Dutton, Clerk; H.C. Mansfield, Treasurer.|
|1879 - Sherman S. Eaton, President; George W. Carman, Clerk; Chester S. Gilbert, Treasurer.|
|1880 - Joseph H. Dutton, President; George H. Carman, Clerk; Chester S. Gilbert, Treasurer.|
|1881 - J.H. Dutton, President; G.W. Carman, Clerk; C.S. Gilbert, Treasurer.|
The Memphis Post Office was established in 1848, with Harry Rix as first Postmaster. His successors in office were: F.E. Gilbert, C.S. Gilbert, Thomas Robson, George Robson, S.P. Spafford, Joseph M. Beach, William Jenkinson, Orrin Granger, H.C. Mansfield, and George W. Carman, the present Postmaster.
In the following sketches of pioneers and leading men of the township may be found many instructive and entertaining incidents of settlement. The foregoing historic sketch embraces much subject of a valuable character; but to prevent, as far as possible, the repetition of facts, nothing has been fully treated in the biographical collection, is introduced into the historic sketch of the township.