As you discover more information about your St. Clair County roots, you might find some locations are difficult to locate on a map. This page is to help give you an idea where these events occurred. Any additional information can be emailed to me. To discover more information, you may access the St. Clair County Rootsweb "History & Geography" page. The local newspaper, The Times Herald, offers some history and current information on these places at their website under the Communities section, including a very good area map and other township maps. Website addresses for further sources can be found below. My latest find is a county map from 1988, which plots the lesser known hamlets. From this, I have extracted the crossroads, east/west & north/south.


Abbottsford, (Town of) - Kenokee & Clyde Twps - Crossroads: Bryce & Cribbins - "A station on the Saginaw division of the F. & P. M. railroad, in Kenockee township, nine miles northwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Adair, (Town of) - Casco Twp - Crossroads: St. Clair Highway & Palms - "A station on the Michigan Midland division of the Michigan Central railroad, in Casco township, eight miles west of St. Clair, and twenty miles southwest of Port Huron. It has three stores, a blacksmith shop, a church and a schoolhouse. Population about 150," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Algonac - First settled in 1805 - Originally called Pointe du Chene (Oak Point), then Manchester. Indian agent Henry Rowe Schoolcraft coined the name Algonac from the Algonquin Indian tribe and the suffix "ac", meaning place - Incorporated as a village (1867) and as a city (1967) - Crossroads: River Road (M-29) & Stone

Allenton, (Town of) - Berlin Twp - Crossroads: Almont & Capac

Almont (Lapeer Co) - First settled in 1827 by James Deneed - Originally named Bristol, after Oliver Bristol, the second settler - Renamed Newburg in 1836 - In 1846, James Thompson donated the town clock and had the town name changed to Almont to honor the Mexican general, Juan N. Almonte. Almont is located in the southeastern corner of Lapeer County, near the borders of St. Clair, Macomb and Oakland counties.

Anchorville, (Town of) - Ira Twp - Crossroads: south of Short Cut on Church - "A village on the north shore of Lake St. Clair, in the township of Ira, ten miles west of Marine City, and thirty southwest of Port Huron. It has a store, saloon and Catholic church," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Applegate (Sanilac Co) - This village began when George Pack built a sawmill here in 1856. Applegate was named after General Jesse Applegate, the leader of the pioneers who opened the southern road into Oregon in 1845.

Argyle (Sanilac Co) -

Armada (Macomb Co) - (ar-MAY-dah), is located in northern Macomb County in Armada Township - Originally called Burke’s Corners, and later Honeoye, after Honeoye Falls, New York - Accidentally named "Armada" in 1867, when in a drawn-out meeting to officially organize the town, Hosea Northrup, one of the town elders, abruptly got up and said: "It will be Armada," and everyone went along with it because they wanted the meeting to adjourn.

Atkins, (Town of) - [Times Herald article, 2004] - Clyde Twp - Crossroads: just north of Carrigan on Wildcat - "Known as Kingsley station on the Sand Beach division of the F. & P. M. railroad, in Clyde township, eleven miles northwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Austin (Sanilac Co) -

Avoca, (Town of) - Kenokee Twp - Crossroads: Avoca & Kilgore - "A station on the Saginaw division of the F. & P. M. railroad, in Kenockee township, fourteen miles northwest of Port Huron. It has about ten stores, a hotel, a grain elevator, and a schoolhouse. Population estimated at about 300," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Baker's Corners - Berville / an old settlement in Berlin Township

Bedore, (Town of) - Clay Twp, Harsens Island

Belle River - Marine City

Belle River, (Town of) - Columbus Twp

Belle River Mills, (Town of) - China Twp

Belle River Village - Berlin Township - "Belle River. - On the bank of Belle river, in Berlin township, five miles southeast of Capac, and twenty-six miles west of Port Huron. It has a store, a blacksmith shop, schoolhouse and saw mill. Population about 50," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Berlin Twp - Incorporated as a village (1839)

Berville, (Town of) - aka Baker's Corners - Berlin Twp - Crossroads: Hough & Berville - "A station on the Almont division of the F. & P. M. railroad, in Berlin township, twenty-five miles west of Port Huron. It has three stores, a hotel, blacksmith shop, grain elevator and schoolhouse. Population about 125," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Blaine, (Town of) - Grant Twp - Crossroads: Burtch & Wildcat - "A station on the Sand Beach division of the F. & P. M. railroad, in Grant township, fifteen miles northwest of Port Huron. It was formerly known as Grant center. It has three stores, a blacksmith shop, two churches and a schoolhouse. Population estimated at 150," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Bridgehampton (Sanilac Co) -

Bristol (Lapeer Co) - Almont (Lapeer Co)

Broadbridge Station, (Town of) - Cottrellville Twp - Crossroads: River Road (M-29), just north of Broadbridge

Brockway Center - Name changed to Yale (1889)

Brockway, (Town of) - Brockway Twp - Crossroads: Metcalf & Emmett (M-19) - "A village located in the southeast corner of Brockway township, five miles south of Yale, five miles north of Emmet, and twenty miles northwest of Port Huron. There are several stores, a hotel, a blacksmith and carriage shop, flouring mill, and other industries. It is connected with the Michigan Bill (sic) Telephone lines. Population estimated at 300," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Brockway Twp - Incorporated as a village (1848)

Brown City (Sanilac Co) - This village began as a station on the Port Huron & Northwestern Railroad. Founded in 1879 by Robert and John Brown, it was built on Robert Brown's farm.

Buel (Sanilac Co) -

Bunt's Creek - a few miles south of Port Huron

Burnside (Sanilac Co) - Name changed to Brown City

Burtchville Twp - Incorporated as a village (1842) - [Michigan Place Names, p 89] "Lumberman Jonathan Burtch settled here in 1840 and became the 1st supervisor when the township was organized in 1862 and was named for him; this former village in it, on the Black River, was given a post office on Jan. 20, 1846, with Hannibal Hollister as its first postmaster, but the office was transferred to Lakeport on June 19, 1857."

Canada Settlement - located roughly on Mayer Road between Frith and Yager Roads in the St. Clair Twp - Columbus Twp line area. The cemetery is all that remains. There was a school there but it is long gone. The cemetery is abandoned and overgrown; transcribed and available on the St. Clair Genweb Page, under Williams Cemetery.

Canova - Village of Brockway Township - Settled in 1866 - Important in lumber trade - 24 miles northwest of Port Huron

Capac, (Village of) - Founded by a group from Romeo, Capac was named by Honorable D.C. Walker. Some believe the Judge named it after Huayna Capac (d. 1527), head of a Peruvian line of Inca Indian emperors. However, local historians dissagree and feel that it was Manco Capac, the first Inca ruler, that gave birth to Capac's name. Incorporated as a village (1873) - one time lumbering community - Crossroads: Bryce & Capac

Carsonville (Sanilac Co) - Arthur Carson built a store here in 1864, a larger one in 1872 and a grain elevator in 1881. The village, originally known as Hall's Corners, was renamed for him in 1884.

Casco, (Town of) - Casco Twp - "A post office in Casco township, eleven miles northwest of Marine City, and twenty-eight miles southwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Casco Twp - southwestern area of St. Clair County, just north of Ira Twp and New Baltimore

China Twp - Organized March 17, 1834 - "A post office in China township, seven miles northwest of Marine City, and twenty-three miles southwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Clay Twp - Incorporated as a village (1828)

Clays Landing, (Town of) - Clay Twp, Harsens Island

Clyde Twp - Organized March 17, 1834 - Incorporated as a village (1836)

Columbus, (Town of) - Columbus Twp

Columbus Twp - just east of Richmond and Macomb County border - According to Michigan Place Names by Walter Romig, page 128, its settlement followed the cutting of Gratiot Turnpike in 1832 and first settlers included Peter Kilroy, James Mallory, George Bathey and Benjamin Weeks. Andreas' History of St. Clair County, 1883, gives the village brief notice on page 733: "...it has its churches, schools, and a manufacturing industry in the shape of a good grist mill." The grist mill, now long gone, had been owned and operated by Davis Donihue for 20 years; in fact, sometimes the village was known locally as "Donihue's Mills." The mill believed to be located just to the south of the present bridge. The present day Columbus on Rattle Run Road, was at that time the village of Hickey. Hickey's post office changed to Columbus in 1909, as its former namesake melted away into history. (Suzanne Frantz message to MISTCLAI mailing list)

Cottrellville Twp - Organized April 12, 1827

Croswell (Sanilac Co) - One of the leading trading, industrial and shipping centers in the Thumb at the turn of the century. Lumbering was the main occupation. The Black River was used to transport millions of feet of timber to Lexington just five miles away. Today, Pioneer Sugar represents the sugar beet industry which became Croswell's leading industry after the Great Fire of 1881. Croswell's famous 139 foot Swinging Bridge, built in 1905, is the only suspension bridge in Michigan

Custer (Sanilac Co) -

Deckerville (Sanilac Co) - The village of Deckerville was named after Charles Decker who started his lumber business here in 1870. Mr. Decker built a sawmill and a grist-mill which helped to populate the area. Deckerville was incorporated as a village in 1893.

Delaware (Sanilac Co) -

Delude - Franco-Indian village near Indian Creek / Black River

Desmond - Black River - Settlers present 1828 - Name changed to Port Huron 1835 or 1837

Doyle, (Town of) - Riley Twp - Crossroads: Bordman, between Riley Center & Egling - "A station on the Almont division of the F. & P. M. railroad, in Riley township, four miles west of Memphis, and twenty-three miles west of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

East China Twp - Organized February 12, 1859

East Greenwood - Greenwood Twp - "A post office in Greenwood township, seven miles southeast of Yale, and twenty-two miles northwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Elk (Sanilac Co) -

Elliott - "A post office in Lynn township, seven miles northwest of Yale, and thirty-two miles northwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Elmer (Sanilac Co) -

Emmett Twp - Named for Robert Emmett, the Irish patriot, and was organized in 1850. The pioneers included Patrick Kennedy, Dennis Gleason, Patrick Fitzgerald, James Cogley, David Donahue, and Henry P. McCabe - Irish Catholic roots

Emmett, (Village of) - First named Mount Crowley, although the area was very level. Later the village name was changed to Emmett, taking the same name as the township. Incorporated as a village (1883) - Crossroads: Brandon & Kinney

Evergreen (Sanilac Co) -

Fair Haven, (Town of) - Ira Twp - Crossroads: Dixie Highway (M-29), between Meldrum & Hessen - "A village on the north shore of Lake St. Clair, in the township of Ira, eight miles southwest of Marine City, and twenty-eight miles southwest of Port Huron. It has a large stave mill and one general store, both owned by the Fair Haven Stave Co. There are Michigan Bell Telephone and Western Union Telegraph offices. Population estimated at 300," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Fairfield - original name of Ruby

Fargo, (Town of) - Greenwood Twp - Crossroads: Hewitt & Fargo - "A village in Greenwood township, eight miles southeast of Yale, and twenty miles northwest of Port Huron. It has eight or ten stores, a hotel, saloon, flour mill, saw mill, blacksmith shop, a church and a schoolhouse. Population about 300," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Farrand Mills - Lakeport / Burtchville Twp

Flynn (Sanilac Co) -

Forester (Sanilac Co) -

Forestville (Sanilac Co) - Named for the heavily timbered area, Forestville was first settled by Alva Kelley who bought land here in 1853. Captain E. B. Ward built the first sawmill in 1854. It was incorporated as a village in 1895.

Forster, (Town of) - Clay Twp, Harsens Island

Fort Gratiot Twp - Organized June 13, 1866

Fort St. Joseph - St. Clair City - Du Luth's second Fort St. Joseph (1686), located on the south bank of Pine River, ten rods from its confluence with the St. Clair

Fremont (Sanilac Co) -

Gardendale, (Town of) - Fort Gratiot Twp - Crossroads: Keewahdin, just East of State Road - "A post office in Fort Gratiot township, five miles northwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Goodells, (Town of) - Wales Twp - Crossroads: Webb & Goodells - "A station on the C. & G. T. railroad, in Wales township, twelve miles west of Port Huron. The county farm and poorhouse are located near the station," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Grande Point, (Town of) - Clay Twp, Harsens Island

Grant Twp - Incorporated as a village (1866) - (extracted from Nelson Potter's biography, Andreas' History, p 753), "He has lived in the town of Desmond, the town of Clyde, then Lexington, Burtchville, and the town of Grant -- five different towns and has never moved."

Greenleaf (Sanilac Co) -

Greenwood Center - Greenwood Twp

Greenwood Twp - Incorporated as a village (1855)

Hard Scrabble - Kenockee

Harsen's Island - Clay Twp

Hartsuff - "A post office in Greenwood township, eight miles southeast of Yale, and eighteen miles northwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Hawthorne, (Town of) - East China Twp

Hay's Corners - aka Merrillsville - old settled village of Brockway Township, two miles north of Brockway Center

Imlay City (Lapeer Co) - In 1862 a settlement was started at Blacks Corners - Ten years later Imlay City was incorporated and given it's name by Charles Palmer, chief engineer of the railroad who purchased a tract of two hundred and forty acres of land - Considered the "Gateway to the Thumb."

Indian Village - Previous name of Romeo (Macomb County)

Ira Twp - Incorporated as a village (1837)

Jeddo, (Town of) - Grant Twp - (According to Michigan Place Names by Walter Romig [Jeddo, page 290-291],) A. H. Potter settled in Jeddo in 1840 and the settlement was subsequently called Potter's Corners until its post office was established in 1859 and called Pottersburg. Also according to Romig, Pottersburg was renamed Jeddo in 1964 to avoid confusion with Petersberg, MI.; Romig states that Nelson Potter was the first postmaster, but his relationship with A. H. Potter is unclear after reading the Romig and Andreas books. - Crossroads: Jeddo & Wildcat - "A station on the Sand Beach division of the F. & P. M. railroad, in Grant township, twenty miles northwest of Port Huron. It has three stores, flour mill, grain elevator, church and schoolhouse. Population about 200," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Kenockee Twp [Andreas] - Incorporated as a village (1855) - "A post office in Kenockee township, twelve miles southeast of Yale, and fifteen miles northwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Keewahdin, (Town of) - Fort Gratiot Twp

Kimball, (Town of) - Kimball Twp - Crossroads: Dove & Pine River Road - "A station on the Almont division of the F. & P. M. railroad, in Kimball township, eight miles west of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Kimball Twp - just west of Port Huron Twp

La Belle Riviere - Marine City

Lakeport, (Town of) - Burtchville Twp - Settled in 1848 - Platted in 1852 - Crossroads: Burtch & Lakeshore (M-25) - "A post office in Burtchville township, on the shore of Lake Huron, ten miles north of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Lambs, (Town of) - Wales Twp - Crossroads: Lambs & Cove - "Lamb. - A station on the Almont division of the F. & P. M. railroad, in Wales township, fifteen miles west of Port Huron. It has two stores, a lumber and flour mill, blacksmith shop, and church. Population about 50," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Lamotte (Sanilac Co) -

Lapeer (Lapeer Co) - Located between Flint and Port Huron - Once a rural farming community

La Reviere aux Cignes - New Baltimore

La Reviere aux Pins - St. Clair City

Lenox (Macomb Co) - Ridgeway

Lesterville, (Town of) - Berlin Twp - Crossroads: Belle River & Sperry

Lexington (Sanilac Co) - In the 1830's, Lexington was the first settlement on the shore of Lake Huron north of Port Huron - First town to be settled in Sanilac County - First county seat, a distinction it lost over a horse race about 125 years ago - Boasts a charming colonial village, with a 116 year old general store - Early fishing and lumber port - Three permanent boat docks were erected by 1870 and initially lumber, then agricultural products including fruits were being shipped. A big storm destroyed these docks in 1913. Consequently, the population which had grown to over 2,000 dwindled to 326 by 1940.

Lynn Twp - Incorporated as a village (1828)

Manchester - Clay Twp - village laid out in 1836 - renamed Algonac

Mapleleaf, (Town of) - Clay Twp, Harsens Island

Maple Valley (Sanilac Co) -

Marine City [Andreas] - First called Yankee Point because it was first settled by eastern Yankees, Marine City is at the mouth of the Belle River - One of three international crossings to Canada in St. Clair County. It has regular car and passenger ferry service to Sombra, Ontario - Incorporated as a village (1865) [As Village of Newport] - and as a city (1887) - early records may be listed under Cottrellville. Also sometimes referred to as Belle River. - Crossroads: River Road (M-29) & Plank

Marion (Sanilac Co) -

Marlette (Sanilac Co) - Marlette was first settled in the mid-1800's by people from Ontario who had heard that land with tall timber and fertile soil was nearly free for the asking. The city was named after a family of settlers named "Marlatt" who had carved their name on a log shanty.

Marysville [Marysville Chamber of Commerce] - In 1843, Edward P. Vickery bought land here and built a sawmill. The place was known as Vickery's Landing, then Vicksburgh. The name was changed to honor Mary Mills, wife of a local sawmill owner, Nelson Mills. In the early 1920s, the "Wills Ste. Clair" automobile was manufactured here, with approximately 14,000 cars built. Only 80 of these cars are known to exist today. The Marysville factory is currently owned by the Chrysler Corporation - Incorporated as a village (1921) and as a city (1925) - history of salt making and auto manufacturing - Crossroads: Gratiot (M-25) & River Road (M-29) - "A village on the bank of St. Clair river, five miles south of Port Huron, on the town line between Port Huron and St. Clair townships. The large lumber mills of N. & B. Mills furnish employment to a large number of men. A large general store is conducted by the same firm, in which are located the offices of the Western Union Telegraph and Michigan Bell Telephone companies. The village also has a hotel, church, schoolhouse, etc. Population about 300," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Melvin (Sanilac Co) - The first building here in 1862 was the saloon. Melvin was a station on the Port Huron & Northwestern Railroad.

Memphis - Memphis is one square mile and was named after Memphis, Egypt, "the City on the Nile." Memphis straddles the county lines of north Macomb county and southwest St. Clair County. Memphis was established in 1835 - Located on a bluff overlooking the Belle River - Incorporated as a village (1865) and as a city (1953) - Crossroads: Bordman & Kinney

Merrillsville - Hamlet of Brockway Township - aka Hay's Corners - two miles north of Brockway Center

Mill Creek - Village of Ruby

Miller, (Town of) - Clay Twp, Harsens Island

Minden (Sanilac Co) - The village was founded in 1855 by Philip Link, who named it after his native Minden, Germany. Alfred Gunning opened the first store in 1859. He sold it in 1861 to William Donner who became the first postmaster of Minden. Minden was given a station on the Pere Marquette Railroad in 1880. The village was renamed Minden City in 1883.

Moore (Sanilac Co) -

Mount Clemens (Macomb Co) - Mount Clemens is located in eastern Macomb County on the Clinton River, about four miles from Lake St. Clair. It is the largest city in Macomb County, and was assigned as the county seat by Governor Lewis Cass in 1818. Mount Clemens was first surveyed in 1795 by Christian Clemens, who settled there four years later. Clemens and his friend, John Brooks, built a distillery, which helped settle the area. Brooks and Clemens platted the land, and the town was named after Clemens in 1818. It received a post office in 1821, with John Stockton as the first postmaster. It filed for incorporation as a village in 1837, but it was not acted upon until 1851. It was later incorporated as a city in 1879.

Mount Salem - "A post office in the township of Emmet, twenty-four miles west of Port Huron, and six miles northeast of Capac," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Muirs, (Town of) - Clay Twp, Harsens Island

Mussey Twp - Incorporated as a village (1855)

Muttonville, (Town of) - Casco Twp

New Baltimore - Pierre Yax first settled this area in 1796. In 1820 the first government Fabian Robertjean made land purchase. Alfred Ashley, who came here from Mount Clemens in 1845, built the first sawmill and the first dock. In 1851, he platted the village as Ashley, and on September 20, 1851 was given a post office called Ashleyville, with him as its postmaster. On March 7, 1855 the post office was renamed New Baltimore. This settlement was incorporated as a village in 1867 and as a city in 1931 - Ira Twp, St. Clair County and Chesterfield Twp, Macomb County

Newburg (Lapeer Co) - Almont

Newport - Name changed to Marine City

North Lakeport, (Town of) - Burtchville Twp

North Street, (Town of) - Clyde Twp - Crossroads: south of Carrigan on North Street - "A post office and flag station on the Sand Beach division of the F. & P. M. railroad, eight miles northwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Palmer - Named after Thomas Palmer, of Detroit, who bought the land where St. Clair stands; Name changed to St. Clair (1846)

Paris - Port Huron - Village platted (1837), by Maj. Thorn

Pearl Beach, (Town of) - Clay Twp - Crossroads: River Road (M-29), between Audubon & Ainsworth

Peck (Sanilac Co) - Nathaniel Vannest became the first settler here in 1852. He built the first building, the Globe Hotel, in 1859 and the first store in 1868.

Perch, (Town of) - Ira and Clay Twps

Peru - Port Huron - First village plat (1835), by Edward Petit

Peters, (Town of) - Casco Twp - Crossroads: between Springborn & Meisner, on Palms

Plainfield - organized in 1822, renamed Clay in 1828.

Point Tremble Prairie - Clay Twp

Pointe Aux Tremble, (Town of) - Clay Twp

Pointe du Chene (Oak Point) or Pointe Du Chesne - Algonac

Port Huron - One of the oldest settlements in the state of Michigan. In 1686, the French built Fort St. Joseph to guard against possible British incursions into their fur trade. The Blue Water Bridge and the new Second Blue Water Bridge links Port Huron with Sarnia, Ontario at the point where Lake Huron empties into the St. Clair River. Thomas Edison spent his youth in Port Huron. Later, in 1891, it was home to the first electrified underwater railway tunnel - Named changed from Desmond (1835 or 1837) - Organized April 8, 1838 - Incorporated as a village (1849) and as a city (1857) - Crossroads: Lapeer & (M-25)

Port Huron Twp - Incorporated as a village (1827)

Port Huron Village - Platted (1835), by Harrington & White

Port Sanilac (Sanilac Co) - Around 1840, some Detroiters came here to make tan-bark and built a bark shanty. Passing sailors gave the place the name Bark Shanty Point. Later the citizens petitioned and the village was renamed Port Sanilac after the county.

Potter's Corners/Pottersburg - According to Michigan Place Names by Walter Romig [Jeddo, page 290-291], A. H. Potter settled in Jeddo in 1840 and the settlement was subsequently called Potter's Corners until its post office was established in 1859 and called Pottersburg. Also according to Romig, Pottersburg was renamed Jeddo in 1964 to avoid confusion with Petersberg, MI.; Romig states that Nelson Potter was the first postmaster, but his relationship with A. H. Potter is unclear after reading the Romig and Andreas books.

Rattle Run, (Town of) - St. Clair Twp - Crossroads: Gratiot & Rattle Run - "A post office in St. Clair township, twelve miles southwest of Port Huron, and three miles southeast of Smith's Creek," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Richmond (Macomb Co) - Located in northeastern Macomb County - Founded in 1835 by Erastus Beebe who, along with his family, came here with a group of men from Richmond, Ontario County, New York. Impressed with land situated along a ridge, Beebe purchased it, naming it Beebe’s Corners. That same year, two other communities, named Ridgeway and Cooperstown, were also formed. In 1838, the surrounding township was named Richmond, for the New York community, by ex-New York resident Philip Cudworth, who later became the area’s postmaster in 1840. In 1879, Beebe’s Corners, along with Ridgeway and Cooperstown, incorporated under the name of "Richmond" as a village. The arrival of the Grand Trunk Railway in the 1850’s from Detroit along the eastern coastline helped assure the town’s economic survival

Riley Center, (Town of) - Riley Twp - Crossroads: Masters & Riley Center - "Riley Centre. - A village on Belle river, in Riley township, twenty-six miles west of Port Huron. It has three stores, blacksmith shop, saw mill, two churches and a schoolhouse. Population about 200," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Riley Twp - Incorporated as a village (1838)

Roberts Landing, (Town of) - Cottrellville Twp - Crossroads: Roberts & River Road (M-29) - "A post office in Cottrellville township, on the bank of St. Clair river, five miles below Marine City, and twenty-five miles south of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Russell Island - Clay Twp - southeast of Algonac

Ruby, (Town of) - [Times Herald article, 2004] - Clyde Twp - Crossroads: north of Imlay City Road, on Brott - "A post office in Clyde township, on Mill Creek, twelve miles northwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

St. Clair - In 1818, James Fulton became the sole owner of land here and named the village after the lake adjacent to it. The lake was first named St. Clare by LaSalle who entered it in on Aug 12, 1679, the feast day of Ste. Clare. Later the spelling was changed for General Arthur St. Clair, first general governor of the Northwest Territory - The world's longest freshwater boardwalk - Incorporated as a village (1850) and as a city (1858) - salt making - Previously named Palmer (1846) - Crossroads: River Road (M-29) & Rattle Run

St. Clair Twp - Incorporated as a village (1827)

Sandusky - Founded and named by lumberman Wildman Mills (1870) who was instrumental in moving the Sanilac County seat from Lexington to Sandusky - Mr. Mills named the town after Sandusky, Ohio, which was founded by his grandfather.

Sanilac (Sanilac Co) -

Sans Souci, (Town of) - Clay Twp, Harsens Island - Crossroads: South & Lacroix

Smith - "A station on the Almont division of the F. & P. M. railroad, six miles south of Capac, and thirty miles west of Port Huron. It has four stores, a hotel, saw mill, flour mill, elevator, blacksmith shop, church and schoolhouse. Population about 200," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Smiths Creek, (Town of) - Kimball Twp - Crossroads: between Smiths Creek & Yager and Burns & Richman - "A station on the Detroit division of the G. T. railroad, in Kimball township, twelve miles southwest of Port Huron. It has five or six stores, hotel, blacksmith shop, elevator, church and schoolhouse. It is surrounded by a good farming section, and is the largest hay market in the county. Population about 250," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Snyderville, (Town of) - Columbus Twp

South Park, (Town of) - Port Huron Twp - Crossroads: Moak, west of 32nd Street

Sparlingville, (Town of) - Kimball Twp - Crossroads: Griswold & Allen

Speaker (Sanilac Co) -

Starrville, (Town of) - Cottrellville Twp - Crossroads: Broadbridge & Starrville - "A post office in Cottrellville township, five miles west of Marine City, and twenty-five miles southwest of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Stromness Island - Clay Twp

Sunnyside Station, (Town of) - Kimball Twp - Crossroads: between Lapeer & Flinchbaugh and English & North

Swan Creek - Ira Twp - settled prior to 1796 - four miles west of New Baltimore

Tappan, (Town of) - Port Huron Twp - Crossroads: Griswold & Michigan Road

Thornton, (Town of) - Kimball & Wales Twps - Crossroads: Sparling & Mayer - "A post office in the township of Kimball, ten miles west of Port Huron," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Tremble Creek - Settled about 1798 - on Ridge Road

Valley Center (Sanilac Co) -

Vicksburg / Vixburg - Name changed to Marysville

Wadhams, (Town of) - Kimball Twp - Crossroads: Lapeer & Wadhams

Wales, (Town of) - Wales Twp - Crossroads: Lambs & Wales Center - "A station on the Almont division of the F. & P. M. railroad, in Wales township, thirteen miles southwest of Port Huron. It has two stores, hotel and blacksmith shop," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).

Wales Twp - Incorporated as a village (1841)

Wards Landing - Marine City

Washington (Sanilac Co) -

Watertown (Sanilac Co) -

West Tappan, (Town of) - Kimball Twp

Williamsburg(h) - St. Clair Twp

Worth (Sanilac Co) -

Yale - This village on Mill Creek was founded in 1851 by Nathan White as Brockway Center. However, in 1889, it was renamed Yale at the suggestion of B. R. Noble, honoring Yale University. Yale is has been the home of first-class bologna makers since 1906. T.J. Minnie first sold his Minnie's bologna from a small shop on Main Street. Today, C. Roy & Sons carry on the tradition - Incorporated as a city (1905) - woolen mill & bologna - Crossroads: Yale & Brockway

Yankee Point - Marine City - "It was a beautiful peninsula, with St. Clair River on one side of it and a pretty inland stream, Belle River, on the other side...After Uncle Sam (Ward) and the people he took had been there a while, the place was called Yankee Point, because the new settlers were all Yankees." - Emily Ward

Zion - "A station on the Sand Beach division of the F. & P. M. railroad, twelve miles northwest of Port Huron. It was formerly known as Saginaw Junction," (St. Clair County Directory, 1893-4).


Sources:

History of St. Clair County, Michigan - by A.T. Andreas - contributed by Suzanne Frantz

Michigan History & Genealogy - Sanilac County

Michigan Place Names by Walter Romig - contributed by Suzanne Frantz and Alice Laidlaw

MultiMag Michigan

Rootsweb St. Clair County Mailing List

St. Clair County Directory (1893-94)

St. Clair County GenWeb - History & Geography

The Times Herald

Ward, Emily - The Way Things Were, An Autobiography