Search billions of records on

St. Clair County, Michigan
              Genealogy on the Web

Historical Port Huron

Gazetteer of Michigan, 1839
Port Huron (formerly Desmond), St. Clair County statistics per census
Population 824. A grist mill, 2 saw mills, 6 merchants.

A village in St. Clair county, at the confluence of Black River with the St. Claire, two miles from Lake Huron.  Here is a post office, a steam saw mill, a steam flour mill, tannery, and 12 stores; a printing office from which a weekly newspaper is issued, sub-collector's office, 3 lawyers, and 2 physicians.  It is situated on the Fort Gratiot Turnpike, and it is expected that the railroad, to be constructed from Lewiston to London (Upper Canada) will be extended to opposite this place.  The northern rail-road has been located to commence here.  It is a thriving village, and, being the central point for the lumber business, it is considered the most flourishing of any in the county.  It posesses excellent facilities for ship building, and furnishes an abundance of the best material, especially spars, for that business.  The lumber business, and the good farming country around it is its principal support.  It is healthy, and well supplied with excellent water.  Distant 12 miles from Palmer, and 57 north-east of Detroit.

Submitted by Gordon Case

Email the county coordinator any obituaries, photographs, marriage records or other materials you wish to have posted at this site.

St. Clair County MIGenWeb Pages

Biographies  |  Cemeteries  |  Churches  |  Family Group Sheets  |  Family Pages  |  First Nations  |  History Home  |  Libraries, Museums, Societies

Lookup Volunteers  |  Maps  |  Obituaries  |  Photographs  |  Researchers  |  Resources  |  Tombstones  |  Site Map

This page was last updated Thursday, July 12, 2007