The territory embraced within the limit of this township, with Almena, Waverly, and Pine Grove, formed the old township of Clinch. It became Waverly in 1842, Bloomingdale in 1845, and by the erection of Pine Grove, in 1849, assumed its present proportions.
During a fire which occurred in the village of Bloomingdale, Aug. 23, 1878, the township records were completely destroyed, and it is now a matter of impossibility to ever compile a complete list of the township officers.
Bloomingdale comprises the territory designated
the United States survey as township No. 1 south, of range No. 14 west,
which, with the present township of Pine Grove, was organized as
The soil is a sandy and clay loom, fertile and well adapted to the culture of fruits and the cereals.
There are twenty-two small lakes in Bloomingdale township, with a total of about 1000 acres. Some of the lakes are Great Bear (which also extends into Columbia township), Muskrat, Sweet, Twin, Three-Legged, Mud, Lake-Mill, Max, Little Brandywine, Thayer, and Smith's.
History of Berrien and Van Buren Co's Michigan - D. W. Ensign & Co., 1880
VillagesReturn to Township Page