Breedsville was established in 1835 and is the oldest settlement in the
northern part of the county. In 1880 Breedsville had one church -
the Methodist Episcopal - and today in 1998 the Methodist church
still is the only one in town. There were lodges, Masons, Knights
of Pythias, and Odd Fellow's. One commodious hotel,
stores of general merchandise, one grist-mill, one saw-mill, one
tannery, several small mechanical shops, and about 350 inhabitnants.
The original ownsers of its site were Barnard M. Howard, Miss Laura
Amos S. Brown, Sr., Rev. Jonathan N. Hinckley, and Samuel Watson.
Thomas P. Page kept the first tavern, and Lorenzo Painster, Woodson
Co. opened the first store. Previous to their establishment of a
store here they had brought in goods and exchanged with the early
for shingles, produce, etc. The grist-mill was built by Wells G.
Brown in 1873.
TO COLUMBIA PAGE
TO TOWNSHIP PAGE
TO VAN BUREN PAGE