Church records say that the land for the church and cemetery was given by Thomas Roth who settled in Freedom Township in 1833. A deed recorded 4 Nov 1850 indicates that land was also given to the church by John George and Christina Maser. A quit claim deed for property was executed in 1965 by the Haab and Bigge families.
Very few of the verses are printed because they are often illegible and lengthy, being mostly in German. Special thanks goes to the Rev. Paul Puffe, pastor of the church and Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Weidmayer, members of the church for their help. Additional informationwas taken from the church records. For those whose names appear in these records there is often extensive information. There are no family plots in this cemetery. Burials are in rows in order of death.A collection of badly deteriorated stones is found under a large pine tree." - Taken from July, 1981 reading performed by the GSWC.
This reading was done on June 6, 2000. Many of these stones are now barely legible, so without the previous reading many of these stones would be unknown.
Alter - Age Auf Wiedersehen - Until we meet again Ehefrau - Wife Ertrunken - Drowned Frieden - peace Gattin - Wife Geboren - Born Gemortert - Killed, murdered Gott - God Hier - Here Jahre - Year Monate - Month Ruhet - Rest Sohn - Son Tage - Day Tochter (Tocht) - Daughter Unser - Our Vater - Father Von (v) - of