Dexter Township, Washtenaw County, Michigan
This data is submitted by Shone Brooks.
Hudson Mills Cemetery is the most tangible local remnant of a pioneer settlement located on the banks of the Huron River. In June of 1841, David and Betsey Dudley sold over an acre of farmland to Dexter Township for a burial ground. The gravestones tell the story of the rise and decline of the community. Here one can see varied cemetery symbolism: clasped hands, weeping willow trees and lambs marking children's graves. The age of the cemetery can be clearly seen in the struggle with nature. The perimeter stones are endangered by the overgrowth of vines and shrubs.