Cemeteries of Blue Earth County

The information here is provided compliments of Julie Schrader from her book the History of Blue Earth County.

In the future I hope to have a map scanned in showing the rough locations of the cemeteries.  And maybe, sometime in the far distant future, we'll have an index of all the markers at the cemeteries.  Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?  Actually, the Blue Earth County Historical Society has all the cemeteries indexed on computer, although they don't have it online.


TOWNSHIPS
Beauford Judson Medo
Butternut Valley Leray Pleasant Mound
Cambria Lime Rapidan
Ceresco Lincoln Shelby
Danville Lyra South Bend
Decoria McPherson Sterling
Garden City Mankato Vernon
Jamestown Mapleton


BEAUFORD TOWNSHIP

Beauford Oak Hill Cemetery
Location: SE ¼ of the NW ¼ in Section 9 in Beauford Township
Established: 1879
Platted and dedicated in 1887
The cemetery is on the top of a hill and received its name from the many oak trees in the vicinity.

Beauford (Morrow) Cemetery
Location: NW ¼ of the NW ¼ of Section 24 in Beauford Township
Established: 1870
Platted: 1909

Back to top

BUTTERNUT VALLEY TOWNSHIP

Our Saviorís Lutheran Cemetery
Location: SW corner of the SW ¼ of Section 21 in Butternut Valley Township
Established: 1882 by the trustees of the Norwegian Lutheran Church
Platted: 1900 and the Butternut Cemetery Association was formed.
In 1915 the name of the cemetery was changed to Our Saviorís Lutheran Cemetery.

CAMBRIA TOWNSHIP

Cambria Cemetery
Location: SW ¼ of the SW ¼ of Section 22 in Cambria Township
Established: 1872
Dedicated: October 1881
About twelve people who were buried in the Horeb Presbyterian churchyard between 1856 and 1865 were moved to Cambria Cemetery in 1875.

Back to top

CERESCO TOWNSHIP

St. Johnís Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery/North Cemetery
Location: N ½ of the NW ¼ of Section 36 in Ceresco Township
Established: 1885
Owned by St. Johnís Evangelical Lutheran Church of Willow Creek

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery/Ohio Cemetery
Location: NE ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 31 in Ceresco Township
Established: 1875 as a private cemetery by August H. Gens. Taken over by the chruch in 1898.

Back to top

DANVILLE TOWNSHIP

Danville German Methodist Cemetery
Location: SW ¼ of the SW ¼ of Section 11 in Danville Township
Established: 1869

Deubler Cemetery
Location: SW corner of the SW ¼ of Section 13 in Danville Township
Established: 1868 by George Deubler and family. They were one of the first settlers in the township.

St. Johnís Cemetery
Location: SE corner of Section 33 in Danville Township
Established: the actual use of the cemetery dates from 1865, as the old church of this parish was erected on this site. At the time of the establishment there was burial in the churchyard, (in section 23) and this continued until the church was established in the village of Minnesota Lake in 1884. The cemetery was then abandoned. In 1982 work was started to restore the old cemetery. It is currently owned and maintained by the Roman Catholic Parish of St. John the Baptist, of the village of Minnesota Lake, Faribault County, Minnesota.

St Johnís Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery
Location: NW corner of the NW ¼ of Section 24 in Danville Township
Established: 1868 and dedicated on March 10, 1871.

Oak Grove Cemetery
Location: Section 33 of Danville Township
It is said to be the oldest cemetery in the vicinity. In it are buried people of all religious beliefs, among who are many pioneers and veterans of the Civil War.

Peace Cemetery
Location: SE corner of Section 33 in Danville Township
Established: Used by the Evangelical Church of Peace of Minnesota Lake. The trustees bought the land in 1895 and the deed bears the date of May 14, 1895.

Latourelle Cemetery
Location: SE corner of the NE ¼ of Section 9, Danville Township, in the backyard of the schoolhouse (District #136)
Established: 1860. This abandoned cemetery was owned by the Latourelle family and was discontinued in 1910.

Back to top

DECORIA TOWNSHIP

Decoria Cemetery
Location: SE ¼ of the NW ¼ of Section 21 in Decoria Township
Established: 1878 and platted and dedicated in 1880 Itís the burial site for many of the early settlers of the township.
 

GARDEN CITY TOWNSHIP

Garden City Cemetery
Location: NW corner of the SW ¼ of Section 26 in Garden City Township
Established: 1859 by Mr. T.N. Boynton, who donated two acres of land for the cemetery. Later on more land was donated.
The Garden City Cemetery Association was formed in 1861. The cemetery was platted and dedicated in May, 1863. It is the burial place for many early settlers of the township, war veterans, and the Jewett family, who were murdered by Indians on May 2, 1865.

Gail Family Cemetery
Location: Section 13 of Garden City Township
Established: unknown

Back to top

JAMESTOWN TOWNSHIP

Calvary Cemetery
Location: SE ¼ of the NW ¼ of section 35 in Jamestown Township. On Highway 60 about a half mile east of Madison Lake.
Established: The first burial took place in 1895 on the cemetery was platted and dedicated in 1896. The cemetery is owned by the All Saints Catholic Church of Madison Lake and is operated by the Calvary Cemetery Association.

Sugar Grove Cemetery
Location: NE ¼ of the SW ¼ of Section 19 in Jamestown Township
Established: 1854 or 1855 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, which was located near the cemetery.
In later years the church was moved to Madison Lake and in 1924 the Methodist Episcopal Cemetery Association was formed. The Association was named in honor of the church but not longer has any connection with the church. The church has since been disbanded.

Back to top

JUDSON TOWNSHIP

Holy Family Catholic Cemetery
Location: Section 31 of Judson Township
Established: unknown

Jerusalem Presbyterian Cemetery
Location: NE corner of the SE ¼ of Section 6 in Judson Township
Established: Started in 1858 by the Welsh Calvinistic Church of Jerusalem. The Judson Cemetery Association was formed in 1897.
This is one of the oldest cemeteries in Blue Earth County. Burials took place before the cemetery was formed, but the exact date isnít known.

Lake Crystal Cemetery
Location: 1870. A cemetery association was organized in 1871. In 1877 the association was discontinued and the cemetery was taken over by Lake Crystal. It was dedicated in May, 1871 and rededicated in December 1895.

Back to top

LERAY TOWNSHIP

Eagle Lake Cemetery
Location: NE ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 18 in Leray Township
Established: 1883 by the Eagle Lake Cemetery Association and in 1897 it was platted and dedicated. It is the resting place for many of the early settlers of the township.
 

LIME TOWNSHIP

Boeland Cemetery
Location: Section 21 of Lime Township
Established: unknown
 

Pilgrimís Rest
Location: NW ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 31 in Lime Township
Established: It was originally used as a township cemetery and monuments and markers date back to 1858. It was purchased by the Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church on June 14, 1874. Dedication was held on July 9, 1875.

Back to top

LINCOLN TOWNSHIP

Lincoln Baptist Cemetery
Location: E ½ of the Se ¼ of Section 26 in Lincoln Township
Established: Itís owned by the Lincoln Baptist Church and was platted on June 30, 1894.

Lutheran Cemetery
Location: SW ¼ of the SW ¼ of Section 5 in Lincoln Township
Established: 1877 and owned by the Norwegian Lutheran Evangelical Church. In the earky days it was laid out into family plots.

Back to top

LYRA TOWNSHIP

Barnard Valley View Cemetery
Location: A new cemetery being developed in Section 8 of Lyra Township along County Road 13, 1 ½ miles west of Good Thunder.
The first Board of Directors was formed in 1988 and incorporated in 1989. It consists of Charles H. Barnard, Secretary Ė Treasurer, and William C. Phelps, Director.

Calvary Cemetery
Location: NW corner of NE ¼ of Section 10 in Lyra Township
Established: 1878 and dedicated on September 15, 1878. Itís owned by St. Josephís Catholic Church of Good Thunder.

Lyra Township Cemetery
Location: Section 3 of Lyra Township and lies just north of the village of Good Thunder
Established: July, 1876 and dedicated in November, 1876. The first acre was donated to the Association by Levi Houk.

Prenzlow Family Cemetery
Location: Nw ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 35 in Lyra Township on the east side of County Road 165, south of Good Thunder.
Established: This abandoned cemetery was established by the Prenzlow family.

St. Johnís Lutheran Cemetery
Location: NE corner of the NE ¼ of Section 10 in Lyra Township
Established: 1877 when the first burial took place. Dedicated in 1882 by the Evangelical Lutheran St. Johannes Church of Good Thunder.
This cemetery is the burial place for many people of German Lutheran faith.

Woodlawn Memorial Park
Location: NW ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 10 in Lyra Township
Established: January, 1938

Back to top

McPHERSON TOWNSHIP

Immaculate Conception Cemetery
Location: N ½ of the NE corner of the NW corner of Section 17 in McPherson Township
Established: The first burial took place in 1864 and was dedicated in 1874. Itís owned by the Immaculate Conception Church of St. Clair.

Bunker Hill Cemetery
Location: SW corner of the SE ¼ of Section 24 in McPherson Township
Itís owned by the township.

St. Johnís Lutheran Cemetery
Location: NE corner of the NE ¼ of Section 17 in McPherson Towenship
Established: 1902 when the first burial took place. It was platted and dedicated in 1905 and is owned by St. Johnís Lutheran Cemetery Association.

McPherson/Union Cemetery
Location: Se corner of the NE ¼ of Section 7 in McPherson Township
Established: 1868 when the first burial took place. It was platted and dedicated in 1874 and is owned by the McPherson Cemetery Association.

Back to top

MANKATO TOWNSHIP

Good Counsel Cemetery
Location: SW ¼ of Section 5 in Mankato Township
Established: February 12, 1914 and dedicated at the same time. Itís the private burial ground for Catholic nuns.

Masonic Cemetery
Location: Se ¼ of the NW ¼ of Section 5 in Mankato Township
Established: Purchased in 1857 by the Mankato Masonic Lodge #12. It was later abandoned and on September 26, 1935 the Lodge deeded the cemetery to the City of Mankato. It was also called the Rural Grove Cemetery.

Calvary Cemetery
Location: NW ¼ of the SE ¼ of Section 5.
Established: It was purchased by St. Peter and Paulís Catholic Church of Mankato in January, 1857. In 1885 the cemetery was abandoned and sold to the city. Many of the bodies were moved to the new Calvary Cemetery, which is just east of the old cemetery.

Woodland Hills Memorial Park
Location: Section 24 of Mankato Township
Established: April, 1938 and platted June, 1938. It was formerly known as Grandview Memorial Park.

Mt. Olivet Cemetery
Location: NE ¼ of the SE ¼ of Section 17 in Mankato Township
Established: The Cemetery Association purchased the land on November 26, 1898 and dedicated it on December 17, 1898.

Burgess Cemetery
Location: SE ¼ of the SE ¼ of Section 13 in Mankato Township
Established: 1859. Named in honor of the Burgess family, who donated the land. In 1900 the cemetery was deeded to the Christian Church of Eagle Lake.

Calvary Cemetery
Location: SW ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 5 in Mankato Township
Established: Land was purchased on November 2, 1885 and was platted in July, 1886. The first burial was recorded on November 5, 1886. A chapel in the cemetery was started in 1981 and completed in 1894. Both the chapel and the cemetery were dedicated on November 2, 1895. The basement of the chapel contained crypts in which priests were buried until November, 1927, at which time the bodies were moved to graves.

Glenwood Cemetery
Location: NE ¼ of the NW ¼ of Section 17 in Mankato Township
Established: Land was purchased on June 16, 1869 and platted in 1870. The first burial took place on March 31, 1870. The mausoleum was completed in 1912 and was dedicated along with the cemetery on September 12, 1912. Itís owned by the Mankato Cemetery Association.

Trivoli Cemtery
Location: SW ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 25 in Mankato Township
Established: The first recorded burial was 1866. It was platted and an association formed in 1867 and dedicated on September 9, 1870. Leslie Morse donated land for expansion in 1952.

Back to top

MAPLETON TOWNSHIP

Old Mapleton Cemtery
Location: NE corner of the NW ¼ of Section 18 in Mapleton Township
Established: 1856 and abandoned in 1875 when many of the burials were moved to the new Mapleton Cemetery.

Calvary Cemtery
Location: SW corner of the NW ¼ of Section 4 in Mapleton Township
Established: 1877 by the Catholic Church of St. Theresa. The Calvary Cemetery Association was formed in May, 1878 and the cemetery was platted and dedicated on May 29, 1878.

Chase Cemetery
Location: SE ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 4 in Mapleton Township
Established: Itís first burial was in 1861 and the Mapleton Cemetery Association was formed on April 20, 1868.

Union Cemetery
Location: W ½ of the SW ¼ in Section 4 of Mapleton Township
Established: April 4, 1881

Back to top

MEDO TOWNSHIP

Medo/McPherson Cemetery
Location: NE ¼ of the NW ¼ of Section 5 in Medo Township
Established: March, 1870 and dedicated in October, 1870. Itís owned by the Medo/McPherson Cemetery Association.

Medo Central Cemetery
Location: Section 9
Established: The Medo Central Cemetery Association was formed on March 14, 1876. The land was purchased from Walter J. and Sara Atcherson; one acre at a cost of $20.00. The Association Officers were C.B. Bates, S.E. Stebbins, C. St. John, S.H. Brooks, F. Atcherson, J. McKebbin, and T. Hoverson.
The first meeting minutes were written August 5, 1905. The president was Mrs. Mary Jane Atcherson, Mrs. Leona Groll (1st Vice President), Mrs. Ella Axtell (2nd Vice President), Mrs. Jennie Atcherson (Secretary), and Mrs. Clara Aldrich (Treasurer). At this meeting they voted to have and annual fee of $1.00, payable at the annual meeting. It was voted that the secretary buy books for herself and the treasurer, a lunch consisting of not more than five articles to be served at each meeting for which a fee of 10 cents be charged, letters be sent to those who own lots and are living at a distance to invite them to join the society or assist in the work.

This was a group of about 25 or 30 faithful women who held meetings each month.They spent the afternoon sewing quilts and other things to be sold at social gatherings. In 1906 a box social was held at which time they sold tickets for the quilt for 10 cents each. By the end of the year, March 18, 1907, they had a total of $101.22. The dues and 10 cent lunches added up.

The expenses that year were 17 cents for gas, $12.00 for lawn mower and sickle, $25.00 for mowing labor, $7.90 for canvas, plus grass seed and material for the quilt. Ed Tolan worked for half a day for 50 cents. In the Spring of 1911 they paid $375.60 for a fence and in 1912 a tool house was built for $30.70. In November, 1917 a permanent fund was started with each one paying $10.00 per lot.

In November, 1910 a resolution was made to enlarge the grounds and to replat the cemetery. A committee was appointed consisting of F. Atcherson, G.N. Ackerman, J. Faley, and W.F. Brooks, Blue Earth County Supervisor. Willis and Emma Weaver sold land 42 feet wide east to west on the west side of the cemetery for $1.00.

On September 20, 1980 it was voted to combine the womenís group (Medo Central Cemetery Improvement Society) and the menís group (Medo Central Cemetery Association). There were to be seven members on the board and one president, one vice president, two secretaries, one treasurer, and two directors. On September 4, 1986 the Medo Central Cemetery Association purchased the township road south of the cemetery owned by Eva Pestka (approximately ½ acre), 58 feet wide on the south side of the cemetery and 425 feet from east to west, for $600.00. Willis Ward is president, Jim Reasner vice president, Elmer Goodrich recording secretary, Erma Juliar, secretary, June Juliar, treasurer, John Stroeble, director, and Beth Walker, director.

A new gate was made from two sections of fence and the old gate. The old gate sign was erected out in front of the fence by Elmer Goodrich.

Medo Lutheran Cemetery
Location: NW corner of the NW ¼ of Section 25 in Medo Township
Established: 1876 and platted and dedicated in 1878 by the Medo Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church. The land was donated to the church by Sjur N. Vieg, a charter member of the church.

Back to top

PLEASANT MOUND TOWNSHIP

St. Johnís Lutheran Cemetery/South Willow Creek
Location: NE corner of the NE ¼ of Section 2 in Pleasant Mound Township
Established: 1874

Back to top

RAPIDAN TOWNSHIP

Calvary Lutheran Cemetery
Location: Section 8
Established: 1874 and dedicated in 1885

St. Johnís Lutheran Cemetery
Location: SE ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 16 in Rapidan Township
Established: 1890 and dedicated in 1893

Stratton Family Cemetery
Location: Section 35 off County Road 66 (Dean Ulrich property)
Established: There are about 15 graves with dates of death ranging from the 1860s to the early 1880s.

Rapidan Holberg Cemetery
Location: Section 2, approximately two miles south of the Red Jacket Bridge on County Highway 66. At the top of Strand Ravine Hill turn east on the township gravel road (by Marcia T. Schuster).
Established: October, 1878. An epidemic of diptheria struck the Rapidan area and the two daughters of Olaf and Bertha Holberg, Mary (six) and Cora (eight), were victims. They were buried on a hillside which was part of their fatherís pasture. I early November four children of Mr. And Mrs. Olaf Anderson also died of diptheria: John (four), Anna (eleven), Martha (seven), and Mathilda (age unknown). They were buried on the same hillside near the Holberg children.

On June 13, 1879, Olaf Holberg deeded a parcel of land to be used as a cemetery, including the graves mentioned above, and the Rapidan Cemetery Association was formed. In 1915 the Association was incorporated. In 1921 and additional ½ acre was purchased for $100 from Adolph Grieger to enlarge the cemetery. No lovelier spot could have been choosen: itís surrounded by trees and is heavily planted with peonies, which bloom around Memorial Day. Itís beautifully kept up by the Association.

There are over seventy graves here, including one civil war veteran and two veterans of World War II. One lot holds members of four generations of the same family. Names are predominately Scandinavian and several tombstones are inscribed in Swedish. There was one death in 1911 of typhoid fever and another, undated, caused by "consumption." One James Smith, age 29 and a native of England, died of influenza and was buried on Christmas Day, 1918. Three month old Darrell Leatherman died of "complications and flu" in the same epidemic.

Money to carry on the work of keeping the grounds up was raised in many ways. A Perpetual Care charge was established and there were membership fees. Collections were taken at each Association and Womenís Association meetings and five cent fines were levied on those failing to attend. The Womenís Association was very effective in raising funds. Income from their socials seems high, especially considering prices 65 years ago. On February 20, 1908, a Box Social brought in $37.84. On July 19, 1909, $23.85 and On May 26, 1910 $59.78. An Ice Cream Social on June 10, 1911 brough in $43.37.

In 1917 rules for the operation of the Cemetery were adopted, specifying the size of the graves, planting of trees, payment, etc. and it was the duty of the Actuary to see that they were enforced. Rule 8 is an example of times gone by: "Horses shall not be driven on the grass nor fastened to trees nor left within the grounds without a driver, except when hitched to posts provided for that purpose."

Back to top

SHELBY TOWNSHIP

Pleasant View Cemetery
Location: NE ¼ of the SE ¼ of Section 28 in Shelby Township
Established: 1868 and dedicated in 1870

Old Willow Creek Cemetery
Location: N ½ of Section 6 in Shelby Township
Established: 1860

St. Paulís Lutheran Cemetery
Location: SE corner of the NE ¼ of Section 22 in Shelby Township
Established: The deed for this cemetery was registered on November 3, 1892.
 

SOUTH BEND TOWNSHIP

Spring Island Cemetery
Location: SW ¼ of the SW ¼ of Section 28 in South Bend Township
Established: 1871 and platted and dedicated in 1874. It was abandoned in 1906 and some of the burials were moved to other cemeteries.

Minneopa Cemetery
Location: Section 16 of South Bend Township, about 5 miles west of Mankato and directly north of Minneopa State Park.
Established: It was started about 1871 by the town board of South Bend Township and was operated by them until March 6, 1917, when the Minneopa Cemetery Association was formed.
The first burials took place about 1867, before the cemetery was started. It was dedicated in 1904.

Back to top

STERLING TOWNSHIP

Sterling Cemetery
Location: Section 15 of Sterling Township
Established: unknown

Jackson Lake Lutheran Cemetery
Location: S ½ of Section 30 in Sterling Township
Established: 1865 and dedicated in 1879
 

VERNON CENTER TOWNSHIP

St. Matthews Cemetery
Location: NW corner of the NW ¼ of Section 26 in Vernon Center Township
Established: And platted in 1912. Dedication was held in October, 1912

Vernon Center Cemetery
Location: in the corners of Sections 34 and 35 in Vernon Center Township
Established: 1869. The Vernon Center Cemetery Association was formed in 1873.

St. Peterís Lutheran Cemetery
Location: Section 26 of Vernon Center Township
Established: unknown
 

Back to top

 This page was last modified on Thursday, 17-Aug-2000 20:52:34 MDT.
Actual mileage may vary.