Cook County

 

Cemeteries


Chippewa City
Chippewa City Cemetery
Parish of St Francis Xavier Church and cemetery.  Located about 1/8 mi. north of Hwy. 61 just east of the church.  Grand Marais.  The church is now owned by the Cook County Historical Society and is on the National Register of Historic Places.  The church is open to the public during the summer.

Colvill
Colvill Community Cemetery

Grand Marais
Poplar Grove Cemetery
Established about 1909 by Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church.

St John's Catholic Cemetery

Maple Hill Cemetery A- K, L - Z
The first burial here was in 1899.  Located just north of the "four corners" junction on Co. Rd. 12 (Gunflint Trail) 4 mi. north of Grand Marais.  An early Swedish Protestant Church, on the National Register of Historic Places until it burned.  It was rebuilt faithful to the original and is located at the cemetery.  Information is available from the United Protestant Church in Grand Marais.

Grand Portage
Holy Rosary Cemetery
This cemetery was located in front of Our Lady of the Rosary Church and originally contained both pagan and Christian burials, as well as traditional Chippewa wooden grave houses.
- Published information includes "Holy Rosary Cemetery, Grand Portage, Minnesota" in Cousins et cousines 7:3-4 (8-11/1984), p 238.

Mt Rose Cemetery
Located on Hwy 61 going east after you pass the lodge exits.

Traditional Cemetery

Hovland
Old Settlers Cemetery
Established in 1894.

Trinity Lutheran Cemetery
Established in the fall of 1913.

Mineral Center
Mineral Center Cemetery
Established by United Congregational Church of Mineral Center.
First used June 2, 1920. The Cook County Historical Society has the church records, as the church no longer exists.

Lutsen
Lutsen Cemetery
Established about 1908.

Schroeder
Schroeder Cemetery

Established 1922
Directions: Right hand side of Cramer Road approx. 3/4 mi. north of Hwy. 61 in Schroeder.

Tofte
Tofte Cemetery
Established June 30, 1916.
Directions: Rear of church up the hill.

 

 


Index

11/17/14