Map of Indian Cessions in Douglas County.
Douglas County is outlined in red. The blue line is the border between the Sioux (south and west of the line) and the Chippewa (north and east of the line) that was established by the Treaty of Prairie du Chien in 1825. The border was not very well respected by anyone, Soux, Chippewa, or settlers but did serve to define areas that were later ceded by the tribes.
The area labeled 268 was ceded by the Chippewa in 1847 to be a reservation for the Menominee Indians from Wisconsin. They never moved there and in 1855 the land was permanently ceded to the US Government.
The area labeled 269 was ceded by the Chippewa in 1847 to be a reservation for the Winnebago Indians in exchange for their land in southeast Minnesota and northeast Iowa. The reservation was managed from the Long Prairie Agency. In 1855 Winnebago ceded the land to the US Government in exchange for a smaller reservation just south of Mankato.
The area labeled 289 was ceded by the Sioux in 1851 at the treaty of Traverse des Sioux. They were moved to the reservation along the Minnesota where the troubles that later caused the Indian war of 1862 occurred.
The map is from the 1899 paper, Indian Land Cessions in the United States. It was complied by Charles C. Royce. The paper appeared in the 18th Annual Report of the Bureau of American Ethnology, to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, 1896-97, by J. W. Powell, Director - In Two Parts - Part 2. Printed in Washington, by the Government Printing Office, 1899. The entire map can be found at the USGenWeb map archives. For treaty details you can link to the Library of Congress Indian Treaty web site.