In keeping with the USGenWeb policy of providing free genealogy information on the Internet, the following cemetery data may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than as stated above must contact the submitter or the Fillmore County MNGenWeb Project coordinator.
Burials in Oakwood (Sherwood) Cemetery
1. Child of G.A. Hayes, 1871- no visible marker
2. Elizabeth Sherwood born May 13, 1841, died Oct 27, 1873 - a large marker with the top part now toppled over.
3. C.M. Ferris died Oct 15, 1865, age 49yrs, 3 mo, 9 days. The stone for C.M. Ferris is very new. It was probably set there in the fall of 1996 or the spring of 1997. (Write to me if you know about this new stone!!) It is attached to an old base that is set in the ground.
There are no other markers to be seen and maybe never were any, but there should be two other people buried there.
Charles Sherwood owned land in South Rushford which is in Rushford Village, about one mile south of the city of Rushford. He was going to sell cemetery plots there for $5 and had a small tract of land platted for 25 graves. The cemetery was named Oakwood Cemetery. There are stone pillars in the corners of the cemetery with a heavy iron fence wire running through the pillars.
This Charles Sherwood is the same C.D. Sherwood who was Lt. Governor of Minnesota in 1864 and the man who worked to bring the railroad to southeastern MN. Before coming to Rushford, Sherwood lived in Sumner Township. Note that the land for Sumner Cemetery came from G.A Hayes, whose baby was the first burial in the Sherwood plot in South Rushford. George Hayes owned land in South Rushford next to Sherwood's land. Mrs. W.W. Beers was an early burial in the Sumner Cemetery. Her husband also came to the Rushford area after leaving Sumner Township and is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery in Rushford. Oak Grove is on the northwest side of the city of Rushford.
C.D. Sherwood was born in New Brighton, CT in 1834. He came to Sumner Township in western Fillmore Co in 1856. He was a member of the state legislature in 1859 at age 25 and Lt. Governor in 1864 and 1865. In 1866 he came to South Rushford. In 1879, Sherwood, along with families Ferris, Knapp and Hudson moved to Tennessee where he founded the town of Sherwood.
You are the 11696 visitor to this page.
copyright Marge Utley, 1997