Fillmore County Minnesota
In keeping with the USGenWeb policy of providing free genealogy information on the Internet, the following cemetery data may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than as stated above must contact the submitter or the Fillmore County MNGenWeb Project coordinator.
Return to Cemetery Transcriptions Online
The Wisel Cemetery is located on private property in a farm pasture in Preble Township. These photos were taken May 10, 1998.
One stone surrounded by an ornate but falling down wrought-iron fence.
All of whom perished
The Wisel marker has been broken in two and cemented back together. Cement obliterates the writing on the line "in the f____." It most likely said "in the flood" as this family died in what is known as the "Wisel Flood" on Aug. 6, 1866. There is a small American flag and a veteran's marker for Ezra who died earlier as a soldier in the Civil War. David Wisel's wife Jerusha was the only one who survived the flood. David Wisel and family came to Preble Township in 1854 from Cattaraugus County in western New York state.
Outside the fence about 20 feet to the southwest is another stone.
Today this surname Lerohl is spelled Lerol.
From Bruce Larson September, 2003:
Directions to the cemetery are S of Mabel on Hwy. 43 about 8 miles to Fillmore Co. Hwy. 12. West on 12 about 3½ miles. (½ mile east of Amherst Twp.) Then S through a cow pasture ½ mile. GPS coordinates: N 43° 37.899' W 91° 50.397'. According to local residents, there used to be many more tombstones in the cemetery. Perhaps 10 to 12. Maybe they are still there but not noticable. This was probably a very early cemetery used by the locals prior to the church cemeteries being established. The two stones there now, the Wisel stone and the children of Knud Knudson Lerol are about 70 feet apart leaving room for plenty of graves. Knud Lerol, at least in 1896, lived a couple of miles west of the cemetery.
You are the 10665 visitor to this page.
Copyright Marge Utley 1998