Rules for Adopting a Minnesota County
If you would like to adopt a county follow these easy steps:
1) Check the County Selection List to see if your county is available. If it is not available, consider volunteering to assist the person who coordinates the county.
2) Read everything on this page, and the USGenWeb Rules page.
3) If after all this, you agree to everything, then email me and we will get you signed up.
4) For help in setting up your pages you may contact:
Chuck Dakota County
Shirley Dodge & Olmsted County cc
Note: These rules are subject to change at any time without prior notice.
This is your page, have fun, give it your own flavor, but please keep a few things in mind. Make sure you include these 5 elements for Minnesota and all of the USGenWeb required elements.
1) Adopting a county means it is a part of The USGenWeb Project. It is sad to say, but some people adopt counties merely to promote their family genealogy. There is nothing wrong with including your family genealogy on your pages, but please keep it to a dull roar so that folks know this is a USGenWeb page and not a family page. The name of your page should be something like ?? County, Minnesota, USGenWeb (or MNGenWeb), and not My Genealogy Page.
A) The Required links are:
The USGenWeb Project http://www.usgenweb.org
The MNGenWeb Project http://www.rootsweb.com/~mngenweb
A) If the reference material is not in the public domain, you should first check the Authors Who have Submitted Permission page to see if the author has already granted permission, and the Authors who have refused permission page. If they are not on either list you should obtain written permission from the author or publisher of that material and be sure it is on file with USGenWeb. You may obtain a copy of the permission to do lookups form, and instruction on how to file that permission HERE.
B) You should also include the USGenWeb copyright disclaimer on your lookup page and be sure that your lookup volunteers read this disclaimer. Suggested versions of wording you may use can be found here. The complete USGenWeb copyright FAQ may be view at http://usgenweb.org/volunteers/copyright.shtml
There are a few basic requirements that every county page must meet in order to be associated with our project and be included on the Master County Index Page for a state. These requirements may be found here.
FAQ of questions I get asked most
Residence in a county is NOT required! Most county hosts do not live in the counties that they coordinate. They adopt the county because they love it or because they do most of their own research in that county they have a knowledge of it and want to help others.
Knowledge of making web pages is not a requirement. There are many online sources to teach you, and a number of our other county hosts would be willing to help you also.
Updated - January 2015
Return to MNGenWeb main Page