|From "1868 - 1968 Maple Plain
Garden Club Past - Present" published by the Maple
Plain Garden Club. Submitted by Claudine Pearson.
BRIEF TOPOGRAPHY OF INDEPENDENCE
RECORDS (Misc. records submitted by Eugene
RECORDS (Misc. records submitted by Claudine Pearson. ClaudeP@aol.com
From "1868 - 1968 Maple Plain & Independence Past - Present" published by the Maple Plain Garden Club. Page 23 ClaudeP@aol.com
|METHODIST - The first religious meeting in Independence was held by Rev. J. J. Camp, Methodist Episcopal minister. A Methodist society was organized in the home of irvin Shrewsbury in 1855. Local preachers were Jacob Batdorf, Irvin Shrewsbury, J. J. Terwill and Abraham Gross. Services were held in the Armstrong schoolhouse until the Methodist Church was built in Armstrong in 1892, and dedicated in June of that year. Later it burned down. It was rebuilt and in recent years was sold to the English Lutheran Church in Long Lake.|
CHRISTIAN CHURCH - The next church to be organized
was the Advent Christian Church. In 1867 Dr. O. R.
Fassett and Mrs. L. E. Fassett arrived in Minneapolis and
shortly thereafter were persuaded by friends to hold a
few meetings at the Armstrong school house. A
church society was organized and a church building was
erected near Lake Sarah, nearly opposite the home of the
Dunwoodys. The Dunwoody house was originally the
Dr. Fassett home. The Armstrong Advent Christian
Church was organized at the home of Sam Briley, Dec 8,
1891. The Church was built in 1892. Elder J.
Nelson Potter was the first pastor and organizer of the
Armstrong work. The first officers were as follows:
Trustees - Sam Briley, G. Johnson and H. L. Bowen
Deacons - Chas. Nelson and W. C. Batdorf
Secretary and Treasurer - W. C. Batdorf
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF INDEPENDENCE was organized
June 4, 1871, by the Rev. CharlesThayer. In 1872-73
a substantial frame building, 26 by 40 ft. was built,
well finished on the inside. Twice since, the
church as been remodeled with additions and is in use at
the present time. The first elders were George W.
Smith and Charles W. Ingerson. The first year there
were twelve charter members, followed soon by seven
more. They were Anthony Yerger, George W. Smith,
Harriet Smith, John B. Perkins, Deborah D. Perkins,
Elizabeth Bradford, Emeline P. Ingerson, Bethia H.
Barnes, Barbara Walker, Mary Fogleman, Eliza Ann Bud,
Rachel P. O. Lily, Mary O. Wapon, Ashbel Ingerson,
Ellenor Yerger, and Sarah Wapon. During most of the
years for 1890-1953 Maple Plain shared a pastor with the
Presbyterian churches in Long Lake and Crystal Bay.
The manse was next to the church in Maple Plain, but this
is now the Christian Education Building. A new
manse was built in 1961 north of Maple Plain.
SWEDISH CHURCH (NOW CHRIST LUTHERAN) was organized in
the home of Jonas Moline, by Rev. Jonas Alm, on Dec 27,
1875. Services were held in the Moline log house
until the church was built, in 1879. At this time
there were twenty-three adult members. The church
was 26 x 22 ft wide. An acre of land was donated by Jonas
Moline. The cost was $194.92. In 1886 the
organ was purchased. In 1890-91 two additions were
built on. IN 1920 a parsonage was acquired.
The charter members of the first Lutheran Church were: Mr. and Mrs. Jonas Moline, J. N. Moline, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Ekstrom, Peter Hogstedt, Mr. and Mrs. John Stromberg, Mr. and Mrs. N. s. Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. John Hillstrom, Mr. and Mrs. John Noreen Mr. and Mrs. A. Noreen, Mr. and Mrs. John Bergstrom, Carl Laurell, Mr. and Mrs. E. Bergman and Mr. and Mrs. Ole Nelson
Up to WWI the services were in Swedish, gradually replaced by English. In January of 1925 it was decided to build in Maple Plain. The corner stone of the new church was laid that same year. The name was changed to Christ Lutheran Church and the first meeting there was held on October 27, 1926. Through the years building improvements have been made. In 1953 the narthex addition was completed and in 1959 a new parsonage was built and dedicated.
No City information available at this time.
If you have Independence genealogical data to contribute to this page, or links other pages, please contact me schumanC@comcast.net
© Copyright 2007-08 by Claudia Schuman
Site last updated: October 6, 2007
Return to Hennepin County, MNGenWeb