Heart O'Lakes Genealogical Society
Resources in the Museum Archives
Housed in the Becker County Museum. We provide many genealogical records for patrons of the museum to utilize.
Assistance from the museum staff is required to make use of the following resources:
- Cemetery Records
- Church, City, and Township Commemorative Books
- High School Yearbooks - 1947-1968, 1970, 1972, 1974, 1979, 1980, 1985, 1986, 1988-1994
- Northwest Technical College Yearbooks - 1968-1991, 1993
- Newspapers - dating from 1888 to the present for Detroit Lakes. Other towns in the county are represented by scattered years. All newspapers are bound or are on microfilm.
- Photographs - "Original" photographs, museum staff has computer list.
- Video tapes, typewritten, and audio cassettes of oral histories.
- Family Histories - many written by local genealogists, most histories have some connection to Becker County.
- Plat Books for Becker County - 1892, 1904, 1911, 1929, 1961, 1971, 1975, 1980, 1992
- Plat Books for Ottertail County - 1884, 1912, 1925, 1960, 1974
- Death, Birth, Marriage and Land Transfer Records
- Local Histories
- Hinton Roll
- GSA 6751 Forms - for inquiries sent to the National Archives on military records
- List of the National Archives publications
- Various National Archives' publications
- Fire maps of the city of Detroit Lakes - 1892, 1899, 1914
- Local Scrapbooks
- Term papers - on various businesses, schools, and activities.
- War Records - war histories for Revolutionary, Civil, WWI and WWII. Indexes of Becker
- County Soldiers in - Civil War, WWI, and WWII.
- Census: On microfilm Becker County US census 1800, 1900, 1910, 1920
- Census: Also have the State census records for 1885, 1895, 1905 on microfilm.
- Census: have a few files on Ottertail, Douglas and Faribault counties.
- Telephone Directories for Detroit Lakes various years from 1924 to present.
- Surname files: Have a list of people doing research in Becker County on various names.
- Naturalization Records: Becker County 1872-1948 on microfilm.
- Church Directories from local churches.
- Family Histories.
- A wide variety of resources from various locations.
Holdings list compiled Feb. 1995
This page last updated on 18 August 1998