Lake of the Woods Logo
TOWNS AND POPULATED PLACES
  "historical" designates a ghost town or place which no longer exists
Angle Inlet
Arnesen
Bankton Post Office (historical) Old Railroad Station
Baudette Baudette is the county seat of Lake of the Woods County. It was named after Joseph Baudette, a trapper. Thomas Cathcart was the first settler in 1893. The town was incorporated in 1906. Burned in the Great Fire of 1910. In 2003 the estimated population was 1044. The elevation is 1086'.
Birch Beach
Blaise Post Office (historical)
Carp Old Railroad Station along the Canadian Railroad, established circa 1901 when the railroad came through.
Cedar Spur Post Office (historical) Old Railroad Station along the Canadian Railroad, established circa 1901 when the railroad came through. Burned in the Great Fire of 1910.
Clementson Helic Clementson established his home at the mouth of the Rapid River in 1896. His brother Ole soon joined him and started a store around which the community of Clementson grew.
Clover Point Post Office (historical)
Faunce
Fort Saint Charles
Graceton Old Railroad Station along the Canadian Railroad, established circa 1901 when the railroad came through. Burned in the Great Fire of 1910.
Hackett Old Railroad Station
Hiwood Post Office (historical)
Judy's East Side Trailer Park
Knutson Post Office (historical)
Le Claire Post Office (historical) LeClaire, a small community, grew around two fisheries at Oak Point on the east end of Curry’s Island on Four Mile Bay. This was the first truly American settlement in the county and the site of the first post office and customs house.
Long Point
Lovedale Post Office (historical)
Lude Post Office (historical)
Oaks Corner
Oak Island Post Office (historical)
Penasse
Pitt Old Railroad Station along the Canadian Railroad, established circa 1901 when the railroad came through. Burned in the Great Fire of 1910.
Rako Post Office (historical)
Spooner Post Office (historical) Burned in the Great Fire of 1910. Combined with Baudette in 1954.
Sugar Point Post Office (historical)
Wabanica Post Office (historical)
Wheeler's Point
Williams In 1901 with the arrival of the Canadian National Railroad across the county, the county got its first settlement boom. William Mason and George Williams followed the track roadbed to stake claims at the site which would become Williams. The town was incorporated in 1923.
Zippel Post Office (historical)
 
Return to Home Page

© 1998 to 2011 by Michael Andrews for the benefit of the Minnesota GenWeb Project
© 2011 to present by Vikki Gray for the benefit of the Minnesota GenWeb Project