1918 Lincoln County Minnesota Mascot obituaries entries

extracted by Becky Davidson

Mrs Bertha Neilson

Mrs Bertha Neilson, wife of Carl Neilson, of Limestone, Lincoln county, died at her home last Tuesday, January 1, 1918. She had been sick only one week, the cause of death being pneumonia,

Besides her father, two brothers and one sister, she leaves to mourn her untimely death a husband and five children. The oldest child is in its ninth year and the youngest about one year old.

Mrs Neilson was a daughter of Mr and Mrs Joseph Arngrimson, formerly residents of Lincoln county, and was born at the family home in the township of Limestone on Dec 20, 1887. On Feb 2nd, 1908, she was married to Carl Nielson. Since their marriage Mr and Mrs Neilson have been living on the old Neilson homestead in the township of Limestone.

Although but thirty years old when she died Mrs Neilson was a recognized leader in many activities of the neighborhood. She was a woman of marked executive ability and when it came to accomplishing things she was of the kind that went ahead and did the work necessary, never complaining, and never shirking. She was not only respected but loved by her neighbors and everywhere they told the same story and that was that it just seemed that there was no one “quite like Bertha

She was an intelligent, well-read woman and she kept herself informed on the current topics. She was a member of the Icelandic Lutheran church of Limestone and was a most faithful worker in the affairs of that church. She was in every respect a noble, Christian woman and the community has suffered a great loss in her death, and it is a loss that it recognized and acknowledged by all.

The sorrow of the husband and the grief of the five little children is too tender and sacred a thing to describe. They have lost their all, as it no doubt seems to them, and the words of sympathy spoken by their friends are but idle, although they are also all that these same friends can offer.

When the funeral will be held has not been decided as we go to press.

William B Graham

William Baird Graham died at his home in Minneota on the first of January, 1918. He had been in ill health for some time so his death was not entirely unexpected.

Mr Graham was 78 years of age and was born in Scotland Aug 15, 1839. He came to America with his parents when but two years of age. The family settled in New Jersey and later removed to New York.

Mr Graham came to Austin, Minn, in the early days and lived there for a number of years. Thirty-eight years ago he came to this locality and took a homestead in the township of Burton, Yellow Medicine county. He was twice married his first wife being a Miss Reed who died in 1891. On June 6th, 1894, Mr Graham was again married, his second wife being Miss Margaret Birkett, who with five children survives him. The children are Agnes, Margaret, Mrs James Bowe, William and Beatrice.

Mr and Mrs Graham came to Minneota to make their home about twelve years ago and have lived here since. During the most of that time Mr Graham has been in poor health and has not been able to work much.

He was a veteran of the Civil War, having enlisted with an eastern regiment and taken part in some of the larger engagements.

During his active years Mr Graham was a man of influence in the community. He was a well posted man and had clear and determined opinions on such matters as he took an interest in. It was not his lot to amass a fortune but he lived an honest life and did the best he could for those dependent upon him. Mr Graham was well thought of by his neighbors and he proved himself an accommodating and considerate man to deal with. He pioneered in two Minnesota localities – Austin and here- and so is one of those to whom the state owes a debt of gratitude for having been among the company of hardy men who proved, in the face of difficulties, their faith in Minnesota.

The funeral was held from the residence Thursday morning of this week, and the remains were laid to rest in the cemetery in Burton. Rev A Longfield officiated.

Sesselja Bjarnason

Mrs Sessalja Bjarnason died at her home in this city after a short sickness from bronchial pneumonia, early last Wednesday [January 2, 1918] morning.

The deceased was born inIceland Oct 12, 1846 and came to America with her husband, Sigurdur Bjarnason, in 1880. They lived for a while in Winnipeg and then moved to North Dakota where they resided for many years. Mr Bjarnason died in North Dakota.

About eighteen years ago Mrs Bjarnason came to Minneota with her two children, who survive her, and since that time has been making her home here. Her children are Mrs O G Olson, of Hinckley, Minn, and Stephen Bjarnason who is making his home in Montana. She is also survived by a brother and sister in Minneota, Vigfus Anderson and Mrs Jardthrudur Gudmundson.

Ms Bjarnason was a very devout woman and obtained a great deal of comfort from her religion. She never missed a service in church and from her scant store she always managed to give something to worthy causes. She lived a quiet life and enjoyed the company of her small circle of acquaintances. She was kind and helpful and sincere and held the good opinion of all her associates.

Johannes A Amundson

Johannes Alfred Amundson died at the Worthington Sanatorium on the fifth of this month [January 1918]. The remains were brought to Minneota and the funeral was held from the Norwegian Lutheran church on Wednesday of this week, Rev Mickelson, of Canby, officiating. The cause of death was tuberculosis, from which he had been suffering for some time.

The deceased was a son of Mr and Mrs Anund Amundson, who were among the early settlers of this locality and who lived on a farm which joins the Minneota corporation on the north. It was on this farm that Johannes Amundson was born on July 2nd, 1884. He grew up on this farm and attended the village school here. Since the death of his parents, a number of years ago, Mr Amundson has traveled a great deal. He has been in the South and in the West and the last six years he spent in Alberta, Canada, where he worked at farming.

As boy, youth and young man John, as he was always called, was well liked by all those who knew him. He was a cheerful, liberal, good fellow and made friends easily, he was always fair and square and he enjoyed the regard of all those with whom he came in contact.

Mrs Elizabeth Sigurdson

Mrs Elizabeth Sigurdson, wife of Einar Sigurdson, died at her home in this village Wednesday [January 30, 1918] night of this week.

Mrs Sigurdson was operated on, for cancer of the stomach, about a year ago and she has since been confined to her bed most of the time.

She was 65 years old last fall being born October 3rd, 1852. She was a native of Iceland and in 1876 was married to Einar Sigurdson, who with her two sons, Einar and Stone survives her.

Mr and Mrs Sigurdson came to America in 1879 and they settled on a farm in Alta Vista, Lincoln county, where they lived until fifteen years ago when they moved to Minneota, where they have since resided.

Mrs Sigurdson was a woman of intelligence. Her opportunities for schooling were limited but she was born with a desire for knowledge that led her early to improve every chance she had for reading and so diligently did she apply herself that she acquired much information on many subjects and conversed interestingly on current topics. Her life while on the farm was that of the average pioneer woman and she bore, without complaining, the hardships incident to that life. She had a keen sense of humor, was exceptionally cheerful and as long as she had her health there was about her an atmosphere of gladness that seemed to fill her home with sunshine and make it a place where friends liked to gather.

Her desire to do good, to be of assistance to those whom she knew were in need, was well known to all her associates and she frequently extended aid far beyond what her means warranted.

Her kindness and cheerfulness were so genuine and sincere that she made all those who came to her home feel that they were really and truly welcome. She was a member of the Lutheran church and died, as she had lived, happy in the simple, childlike faith that trusts and doubts not.

The husband and sons to whom her life was devoted have lost much, as also has the congregation of which she was a member and the community to which she belonged.

The funeral will be held from the Icelandic church in Minneota and interment will be in the cemetery of the Icelandic congregation in Limestone Lincoln county. The day for the funeral has not been set, as it is expected that Rev B B Jonsson, of Winnipeg, will be here to conduct it, but answer to a telegram sent has not been received as we go to press.

Mrs Peter Larson

Mrs Bodell Irine (Peterson) Larson died at her home in Lynd, Friday, January 25th [1918]. Her death came suddenly, being caused by a stroke of apoplexy.

The deceased was born in Sanderstad, Sejiland, Denmark, June 4th 1850. April 3rd, 1869, she was married to Peter Larson, who with eleven children survive her.

Mr and Mrs Larson came to Lyon county, Minnesota, June 19, 1883, and settled on a homestead in the township of Nordland where they continued to reside until 1913 when they removed to Lynd.

The Larson family is well known in Minneota and vicinity and Mrs Larson will be remembered as a woman of high character and many estimable qualities. She was a woman of courage and pluck and worked hard all her life. Those who knew her best are the most liberal with their commendation of her and it is safe to say that she had many warm friends and richly deserved them. She was kind and considerate in her treatment of all and brought up her many children in a manner that did her much credit.

Mrs Larson will always be remembered by her old neighbors in Nordland with the kindest of thoughts. She was a good woman who did the work she was called to in an honest and faithful manner. Her husband and children have reason to be deeply thankful for the devoted wife and mother, whose help and guidance it was their privilege so long to enjoy.

The funeral was held last Tuesday, Rev E J Hinderlie officiating.

The children who survive Mrs Larson are as follows: Fred Larson, Flaming, Minn, Andrew Larson, Lynd, Minn, Chris Larson, Arco, Minn, Louis Larson, Minneota, Mrs N C Anderson, Lynd, Minn, Mrs T S Erickson, Lynd, Minn, Mrs L F Cawny, Conway, N D, Hans Larson, Bonetrail, N D, Henry Larson, Flaming, N D, Anna Larson, Heimdal, N D, Alfred Larson, Lynd, Minn.

Bernard Bot

Bernard Bot died at his home in the township of Grandview last Saturday [February 2, 1918]. Mr Bot was a native of Holland and came to this country when a young man. He had farmed in this locality for many years and was a man of extensive acquaintances and much thought of.

His wife, who was a DeSutter, died a number of years ago. There are four children living: Charles, Mrs C L Buysse, Leona and Theresa.

Mr Bot was in every sense of the term a highly respected citizen; honest and upright in his dealings and fair and friendly with all. He was 60 years old.

The funeral was held from the Catholic church in Ghent last Monday morning at ten o’clock. A number from Minneota attended.

Carl Brecke

On Wednesday [February 6, 1918] morning of last week the home of Mr and Mrs John A Brecke was shocked beyond description when it was discovered that Carl, son of Mr and Mrs Brecke, was dead when called for breakfast. He had retired the night before in good health and good spirits. He had intended to go to Granite Falls for physical examination on Wednesday. He was a promising young man and his sudden death has cast a shadow of gloom over the home and community.

Lars Dovre

Lars Dovre died at the home of his brother, Ole, yesterday morning [February 28, 1918]. His death came so suddenly that the report of it was a shock to the whole community. He was a well man last Saturday and on that day was working as usual around the barn. He had occasion to look at a lamp, that was used for heating purposes under a water trough, and in doing so had to bend down so that his head almost touched the ground. While in this position his foot slipped and his body was wrenched or strained in some manner and it was as a result of this accident that he died.

Lars Dovre was a native of Norway and was born on the 25th of May, 1864. He came to America in 1879 and made his home with his brother, T O Dovre. He has lived in this locality almost all the time since coming here.

Mr Dovre was a very quiet man. In disposition he was winning, very agreeable and his personality was pleasing, making it easy for him to win and hold friends. He was trustworthy in every respect and, as one who has had many business dealings with him has said,” His word was as good as a government bond.” He was in every sense of the term a man of high character and his death is a loss not only to the family but to the community.

He leaves two brothers, Ole and Knute and three sisters, Mrs Andrew Rye, Mrs John Iverson and Mrs Andrina Dovre.

The funeral will be held from the Norwegian Lutheran church in Minneota next Monday at 2 pm.

Benjamin Thorgrimsson

Benjamin Thorgrimsson died at his home in the township of Royal, Lincoln county, last Tuesday [March 19, 1918]. He had been ailing for a couple of months. He was about seventy years of age, probably a little over. He was a native of Iceland and came to America in 1879. In 1880 he took a homestead in the town of Royal and has lived there since. He was married before leaving the old country and his wife was a daughter of Mr and Mrs Magnus Strand, who for many years lived in Minneota. She was also a sister of John M Strand now residing in this city.

Mrs Thorgrimsson died a few years after they took up residence on the Royal homestead, and the following children, from this union, survive their father: Magnus, Arni, John, Carl, Peter, Christene and Leslie.

Mr Thorgrimsson was married again about twenty-four years ago. His second wife was Miss Sigurbjorg Williamson, who survives him.

The deceased was one of the founders of the Icelandic colony in Lincoln county, and like all the rest of his countrymen of that colony he came there a poor man. But he made good. Thirty-eight years of thrift and industry have brought him comfort and financial independence. He was a very quiet man and well liked in the community in which he lived.

The funeral will be held from the Icelandic church in Limestone Saturday afternoon and will be conducted by Rev K K Olafson, of Mountain, N D.

Mrs John L Hanson

Mrs John L Hanson died at her home in this city last Tuesday morning [March 26, 1918], cancer being the cause of death. She had been suffering much since about the first of February and her death had been expected for some time. Her husband took her to Rochester and everything was done for her, in a medical way, that could be done.

Mrs Hanson’s maiden name was Christina Larson and she was born in Norway March 5th, 1876. She came to America in 1892 and the family settled in Canby, where her brother, O R Larson, has been for a long time one of the leading merchants of the city.

In 1905 the deceased was married to John L Hanson and for about a year after their marriage they lived on a farm in North Dakota. The next year they came to Minnesota where they settled at Hendricks where they lived until 1914 when they came to Minneota, where they have since resided.

Mrs Hanson made many friends in Minneota during the time that she lived here and proved herself to be a kind, likeable woman of pleasing manners and disposition. Her untimely death is an irreparable loss to the husband and children to whom she had been the best wife and mother.

Besides the husband there are four children who survive her, two boys and two girls, the oldest 12 years and the youngest 2 years old. She is also survived by two brothers, O R and L R Larson, and two sisters, Mrs Albert O Lokken and Miss Pearl Larson.

The funeral was held from the Norwegian Lutheran church In this city yesterday afternoon, Rev E J Hinderlie officiating.

Mrs Halldora Peterson

Mrs Halldora Peterson died at the home of her son, P V Peterson, Of Limestone, Lincoln county, last Friday [April 12, 1918]. The deceased was 92 years old. She was born in Iceland in October 25 and came to America, then a widow, in 1876, with her two boys, Peter and George.

George went to North Dakota when a young man and is now an attorney in Pembina. “P V,” as he is generally called, is one of the best known farmers in Lincoln county.

Mrs Peterson was a woman of great energy, a good manager and a hard worker. Her first years in America were years of toil and hardship but she had the pluck and endurance to stay by the game and she and her boy, Peter, got ahold of a piece of land in Limestone and they worked hard for many years and now a well improved farmstead stands as a monument to the humnle beginning made by the mother and son away back in the wighties.

Mrs Peterson was kind to all and she dispensed freely of her small store to those who were in need. She was a woman of strong character and she belonged in every sense of the term to that sturdy, honest company that we call the pioneers.

The funeral took place from the Icelandic church in Limestone, Rev E J Hinderlie officiating.

Besides the two sons the deceased leaves three sisters: Mrs Arngrim Johnson, Minneota, Mrs Gudridur Kristjanson, Swede Prairie, and one sister in Iceland.

George Peterson, of Pembina, came down to attend the funeral.

Mrs Katrin Olson

Mrs Katrin Olson died at her home in Minneota last Friday morning, May 3 [1918]. The deceased was born in Iceland Feb 23, 1835 and came to this country a widow, with two children, in 1878. Several years later she married Jonas Olson, and with him she lived on a farm in the township of Limestone, Lincoln county, until eleven years ago when they sold their farm and removed to Minneota. The son and daughter from the former marriage, who came with Mrs Olson to this country, both died while yet young.

Mrs Olson was a woman who went through the hardships and the poverty of the early days in common with the pioneers of that period. First after coming here she worked for fifty cents and board per week. When it came to knowing what poverty meant she knew. After their marriage Mr and Mrs Olson prospered and became well-to-do and this was equally due to the industry and thrift of both.

In Mrs Olson’s character the religious element played a strong part. She was a woman who lived her Christian faith as well as confessed it. There was no opportunity to do an act of kindness ever overlooked by her. She always wanted to do good, to help, to cheer, to gladden the hearts of those who crossed her path. Her life was not without its deep sorrows and its many trials and difficulties and still through it all she “fought a good fight” and it may be truly said that she finished her course “having kept the faith.” She was happy in her home and devoted her every energy to ministering to the comfort of those whom Providence had made the object of her love and solicitation. But her race was run, the final call sounded and she went to her long rest tired and weary, after the burden and the heat of the day, but liked, respected and loved by all who knew her.

Besides the husband and the son mentioned she is survived by two step-sons, Sigurd and Olafur, the former a farmer in Pennsylvania and the latter living on a farm near Hinckley, Minn.

The funeral took place from the Icelandic church in Minneota last Monday, Rev E J Hinderlie officiating. Rev Olson, of Gimli, and O G Olson, of Hinckley, came here for the funeral.

Sigridur Arason

Miss Sigridur Arason died last Sunday [May 5, 1918] at the home of Mr and Mrs Ole S Peterson, of Westerheim. The deceased was 78 years old, being born in Iceland June 5, 1840. She came to America in the early eighties and had lived in this locality since.

For the last 21 years she has made her home with Mr Peterson. For eleven years she was his housekeeper and when Mr Peterson married she continued to remain with him and his wife. It was her lot in life to remain a servant in the homes of others to the end of her days and she was fortunate indeed that the last period of her sojourn here was spent in a home where she was made as comfortable as she was with Mr and Mrs Peterson. For this lonely woman, without a relative in this part of the country, Mr and Mrs Peterson have done all that they could possibly do. She has been with them as a member of the family and she has shared the home life of the household as if she had been united to the family by ties of blood.

Miss Arason was a woman of independence, she believed in making her own way as far as possible and she was a most faithful servant and any work entrusted to her was always performed to the best of her ability. She was a Christian woman and died rejoicing in the faith that had sustained her during her earthly career.

The funeral was held from the Icelandic church in Westerheim last Tuesday, Rev Carl J Olson, of Gimli, Man, officiating.

Mrs Mary Haugen

Mrs Mary Haugen died at her home in Eidsvold last Saturday [June 8, 1918]. She was 88 years of age and is survived by six children, forty grandchildren and forty-one great grandchildren.

She was born in Norway Feb 14, 1830. Her maiden name was Mary Viker and she was married to Elling Haugen and with him came to America about 1850. They settled in Wisconsin where they lived for some time and then moved to Mower county, Minnesota where they lived until the spring of 1880 when they came to Lyon county and bought a relinquishment of a quarter section in Eidsvold, where the family home has been since. Elling Haugen died in 1890.

Mrs Haugen was a typical pioneer woman and worked alike in the field and the home. She was a woman of strong character and managed the affairs of her household with economy and thrift. Her life in the early days was that of a pioneer woman ot the time, one of difficulties, poverty and hardships. But she was one of those who could stand the acid test of that trying period and she lived to enjoy better days and to see her children comfortably situated.

She was a good God-fearing soul and made fro herself many friends during the years of her sojourn here. She was a good mother and her children loved her and two generations of grand children were fond of her. She was of that sturdy type with which practical, common sense copunts so much.

Mrs Haugen has spent her declining years with her son, Hans, and his wife and that couple have done all that they could do to make the sunset of her life comfortable.

The following children survive her: Knute, Mrs P Peterson, Mrs Jos Alleckson, Hans, Ole and Anton.

The funeral was held from the Norwegian Lutheran church last Tuesday afternoon.

J Edward Jensen

Ed Jenson was the victim of a fatal accident last Monday. He was just getting ready to try a new corn binder and when the machine was thrown into gear the horse took fright and started off on a run. Ed was thrown off the seat and under the binder, a wheel passing over his abdomen. This happened about in the afternoon and he was hurried to the hospital at Marshall but nothing could be done for him and at eight o’clock he passed away.

He leaves a wife and three daughters, Mrs Clarence Melby, Mrs Edgar Newport and Miss Ebba Jensen.

J Edward Jensen was born in Fillmore county, Minnesota, Jan 13, 1862 and was the don of Rev and Mrs Nels Edward Jensen. When he was seven years old his father died and his mother went with the children back to Norway. She is still living and there are also four sisters and two brothers of Ed with her in the old country.

Ed returned to America when he was fifteen years of age and came right to Minneota and for a number of years worked for Mr Jaeger, then Minnetoa’s leading merchant. Ed grew up here and devoted himself to business. He worked for Jaeger and also for T D Seals and for a number of years he clerked at a store in Marshall.

On July 23, 1891, he married Miss Sarah Olson. After that he went into business for himself in Minneota for a number of years and 12 years ago the family moved out on a farm two miles south of Minneota, where they have since lived.

Ed seemed to possess all those qualities that make a man likeable. He was cheerful, pleasing, kind and seemed always to have a good word for all. When he was a clerk in the general stores here it seemed that everybody wanted to trade with Ed. There was something about the young man that made every one like him. And it has always been that way with him, always a friend of everybody – he did not have it in him to make enemies. He had his opinions, his convictions but he did not thrust them on others and he did not bother about what others thought or believed. He was thrifty, careful and saving and was comfortably situated financially.

His sudden and untimely death is much regretted by the whole community and the stricken family has the sympathy of all.

The funeral will be held from the residence at one o’clock this afternoon and from the Norwegian Lutheran church here at two.

Knute T Thompson

Knute T Thompson died at his home in Westerheim last Sunday. He lacked but one week of being eighty-five years old. He had been bedridden for the last three months.

Knute T Thompson was born in North Aurdal, Valdres, Norway, Sept 15th, 1833. His parents were Thedeman Thom and Sigre Dahl Thon. Mt Thompson was married to Annie Olson about sixty-three years ago. They came to America in 1868 and for eight years they lived in Wisconsin after which they moved to Lyon county, Minnesota where they settled on a homestead in the township of Westerheim in 1876. Here they lived and were actively engaged in farming until 1896 when they moved to Minneota. They lived in Minneota for about 12 years when they again moved out on the old farm and erected a small house near the home of their son Ole.

Besides the aged widow the deceased is survived by two sons, Thor K and Ole K, and one daughter, Mrs Sarah Kompelien.

Knute Thompson was one of the leading men among the community builders of the early days and was respected by all. He was a man of industry and unquestioned honesty, he was helpful as a neighbor and kind in his intercourse with all. His life was the life of the average pioneer. Long hours and hard work were his portion but he had faith in the locality and its future and he lived to see the day that justified his faith and brought reward for his labor. Ha was all his life an active member of the Lutheran church and the religious instinct was strong in him. He had faith in God and faith in man and he endeavored to lead a Christian life and to treat his fellowmen with charity, kindness and love. He was a good man and his efforts were always ably seconded by her who for more than sixty years stood by his side as helper, counsellor and friend.

The funeral will be held this, Friday, afternoon from the St Lucas church. Rev E J Hinderlie will officiate.

Ole Rudolph Larson

Ole Rudolph Larson, son of Mr and Mrs John Larson, died at the home of his parents last Friday [September 6, 1918].

The funeral, which was attended by many of the neighbors and friends of the family, took place from the Nore

Lutheran church here last Monday, Rev E J Hinderlie officiating.

Ole Rudolph Larson was born in the township of Nordland in the year 1888 and was thirty years of age at the time of his death. Up to the age of twelve he was a healthy, well-developed boy and gave peomise of a splendin young manhood. However, when he was twelve years of age he was stricken with epilepsy and from that time on he gradually grew worse, each year adding to his helplessness and for the last seven of eight years he was practically an invalid. To him the final rest came as a release from suffering and was no doubt welcomed. He mother and the other members of his family who have done all in their power to administer to his comforts and have shown admirable patience and kindness in dealing with this son and brother who was doomed by this difficult disease to suffer so much and so long.

Mrs Sarah Ann Creeden

Mrs Sarah Ann Creeden, wife of the local section foreman, John Creeden, died at her home in this city, shortly after seven o’clock last Tuesday morning [September 17, 1918]. Pleurisy was the cause of death.

Mrs Creeden had not been well for some time and about two weeks before her death she went to Rochester where she was operated on at St Mary’s hospital. The doctors did not consider her condition serious and so informed her husband, who was down a number of times during her stay at the hospital. Last Sunday Mrs Creeden told her husband that she desired to come home and it was thought safe for her to go. Mr and Mrs Creeden arrived here Monday evening and Mrs Creeden seemed to have stood the trip well and was in good spirits. Father Stewart and others called on her Monday evening and she appeared to be resting comfortably and no one suspected that the end was near.

Tuesday morning Mr Creeden went to the station house to give instructions to his men about the work for the day. He returned home a few minutes after seven and went to the bedside of his wife. He saw there was a change. He took her hand and in a few moments she passed away.

Mrs Creeden’s maiden name was Sarah Ann Hogan and she was born in Ireland fifty-seven years ago. She came to America when she was ten years old and lived in the city of New York until 1884 when she came to Altamont, S D. The next year she was married to John Creeden and that same year they returned to New York where they made their home for five years. They then came west again and settled at Altamont where they lived for five years when they moved to Minneota where they have made their home since.

Mrs Creeden was a woman of exceptional thrift and industry. She was a devout Catholic and lived a truly Christian life. Social affairs concerned her but little. Her home and her church furnished scope sufficient for her thoughts, energies and activities. She placed comfort above style, thrift above show and the simple things of life were sufficient unto the needs of her sincere heart.

Mr and Mrs Creeden have no children of their own, but the kind mother heart of Mrs Creeden was not satisfied until she had found two orphan babes upon whom to lavish her maternal affection. The boy, Howard, is now one of our brave lads of our army while the girl, Mary, a loving and dutiful daughter has been the cheer and comfort of the good woman’s declining years.

Mr Creeden is a man who spends all his spare time at his home and he was much devoted to his wife and her sudden departure is a blow that is hard for him to bear. He and the children have the sympathy of the whole community. Besides those mentioned above Mrs Creeden is survived by an aged sister, Mrs Ellen O’Hare, of Rauville, S D.

The funeral took place from the Catholic church here yesterday morning the services being conducted by Father W J Stewart, assisted by Father Van Walleghem and Father Carlin.

Peter H Berghs

Peter H Berghs died at his home in this city last Monday afternoon [September 30, 1918] after having been down with a severe cold that turned into pneumonia, for little over a week. He contracted this cold after becoming over-heated at repairing an engine boiler.

Peter Berghs was 35 years old, being born in Belgium on May 17, 1883. He came to America when eight years of age and his father who was then a widower, took up his residence in Marshall where Peter was brought up.

Six years ago Peter Berghs married Miss Mary Gits and they have made their home in Minneota since, he having been a resident here for several months before his marriage.

He was a blacksmith by trade and a skilled workman. It is at this business that he has worked since coming to Minneota.

It is difficult for us to realize that we are no more to see the pleasant smile nor hear the cheerful voice of Peter Berghs. He was a familiar figure on our streets, a man whom everyone liked, a man who made friends because he was a friend. Pete was always pleasant, always ready to help every good cause, always a booster.

There was always cheer where Peter was because he was happy and companionable and he seemed to radiate good fellowship. He made no enemies for he was always too busy making friends. He was a man of thrift and a hard worker. When there was work to do Pete never knew what time it was. He worked early and late and he gave to his work the best there was in him. In the community he was an enterprising citizen, in the church he was a sincere and earnest worshipper.

In the death of this young man Minneota has lost one who seemed to measure up to the full standard of a Christian gentleman and it is no meaningless conventionality when we say that all the people here feel keenly and personally the loss that they as individuals and the community as a whole have sustained in the untimely demise of one so truly a favorite with all.

Besides the widow there is left to mourn him his aged father, four brothers and one sister.

The funeral took place from the Catholic church here and was attended by many hundred people, Marshall and Ghent contributing to the number who came to show their respects. Father W J Stewart conducted the service and delivered an impressive address in which he gave an elaborate exposition of the Catholic doctrine regarding the state of the soul after death and prayers for the dead.

The remains were taken to Marshall for burial.

Anthony Frost

Anthony Nicholas Frost died at the hospital in Rochester last Wednesday morning [October 2, 1918]. He was a son of Mr and Mrs P J Frost of this locality. He was taken sick about ten days before his death with bleeding of the nose, this developing into aplenic anemia with broncho-pneumonia and hemorrhage. He was first taken to the hospital at Canby and then from there to Rochester. Everything was done for him that could be done.

Tony, as he was called, was born in Iowa September 16, 1897 and was 21 years of age at the time of his death. He came here with his parents three years ago. He was a promising young man and a general favorite in the circle of his acquaintance. His sudden taking away is a great blow for his parents for he was to them all that a kind and considerate son could be. Everything pointed to a promising career for him for he possessed those qualities that make for useful citizenship. To his sorrowing friends and relatives the community extends its sympathy.

The remains were brought here Thursday morning and the funeral is being held from the Catholic church here this morning, Father W J Stewart officiating.

Leo Frost, a brother of the deceased, who is at Camp Grant, Illinois, arrived here yesterday to attend the funeral.

Ollie Moe

Fred Geiwitz

Private Ollie Moe , son of O J Moe, died at Camp Grant, Illinois, from pneumonia, Oct 4th [1918]. He had been sick for several weeks.

Private Fredrick Herman Geiwitz, son of Mr and Mrs George Geiwitz, of Minneota, died at the Overland building in St Paul on the morning of Oct 5th [1918]. He had been sick but a very short while. The message to his father telling of his sickness, preceded the one announcing his death by but 20 minutes, both being received Saturday morning.

The remains of both of these young men were brought to Minneota and a double funeral was held from the norw’Lutheran church Wednesday afternoon. The services were conducted by Rev E J Hinderlie assisted by Rev G Guttormsson. Every seat in the church was taken and about two hundred people stood, or sat in automobiles at the openwindows. The funeral procession was one of the largest ever seen here.

Fred Geiwitz was born in the township of Limestone, Lincoln county, Feb 5th 1892 and came with his parents to Minneota when he was a boy. He went through the schools here and was graduated from the local high school with the class of 1910. He worked in his father’s hardware store here and was well known to all out people. He was industrious and thrifty and he owned a half interest in a farm in Lincoln county, besides other property. He volunteered last July and since enlisting has been at the Dunwoody Institute and was just transferred to the Overland building in St Paul. He was in the aviation section, unassigned.

Ollie Moe was born in the township of Westerheim on Oct 4th, 1893. He came to Minneota with his parents when he was a little boy. At the age of sixteen he entered the Mascot office and up to the time of his enlistment he was with this paper. He was called to the colors in June and since that time has been stationed at Camp Grant. He had but little of this world’s goods, but he was a bright, kind, companionable youth and enjoyed the friendship of a large circle of acquaintances.

Nothing that we can say would add to the esteem in which these two boys were held by the community. They were both fine young men and they were both held in the highest regard by all.

You, the sorrowing relatives of Ollie and Fred, know that Minneota extends to you its hand of sympathy, it sheds with you the tears of sorrow, it rejoices with you in the noble sacrifice made by your sons – and, so help us God, we will never forget the cause for which they died, nor the fact that they died for it!

Jeff H Moe

Oliver J Moe received a message from Camp Dodge, last Sunday that his other son, Jeff, had died there on that day, from pneumonia. It was only five days before that Mr Moe followed the flag covered coffin of his younger son, Ollie, to its final abode.

Jeff was born on a farm in Westerheim on August 30, 1887, and came to Minneota at an early age. He lived here most of the time since. He was a butcher by trade and skilled in the things that go to make a proficient workman in that business.

He was of a very quite disposition and meddled not with the affairs of others. His manner was pleasant and he met his acquaintances with undemonstrative but cordial geniality.

He enlisted this summer under the special service regulations and was sent to Camp Dodge where he has since been. Some time ago he was taken down with influenza which developed into pneumonia from which he died.

Oliver lost his wife many years ago. He was left with three young children, two boys and a girl. His has been a lot not easy. But he breasted the storm and he won. His daughter happily married and his sons manly, self-supporting young men, he was, no doubt, beginning to feel that, for him, the lengthening shadows held no fear nor harbored any regret. And so when, during the sunny summer days of a few weeks ago he bid farewell to these two sons he felt no resentment that his country had called them into its service. No, Oliver was proud of the fact that he had two boys to offer in the service of his country, proud that the great cause was to be defended by boys who were his own flesh and blood.

And now!

The same pride, the same uncomplaining acceptance of what fate has in store, which has charaterised the fathers and mothers of America since first our casualty lists began to shroud in gloom the homes of this country and destroy the fond hopes of parents and friends.

Oliver had but two sons, and he gave them both. He gave the best he had; he gave all he had. The cup of his sacrifice is not only full, but it runneth over.

For fourteen years Oliver Moe has been in the service of the public as a rural mail carrier, he has served his route faithfully and well, he has gone through all kinds of roads, been out in weather that only mail carriers would venture out in,, has exposed himself to every kind of torturing whim of the elements and has lived a hand to mouth life on the scant wage of a mail carrier all that time.

For fourteen years he has been “working for his board” – and all the time he has been growing older. He has given both his sons to his country and fourteen years of his life to the public.

Yes, Oliver, the clouds have indeed descended. The night is dark and we need that “Kindly Light” that will lead us on amid the encircling gloom. But rest assured that the old friends, the friends of the early days, the companions of your hours of gladness, the fellow travelers over the storm swept plains, all bow their heads today and drop a silent tear of sympathy for one upon whose aging shoulders there is laid a burden heavier that it would seem that he could bear.

Words, words, nothing but words! And yet that is all we poor mortals have to offer each other when we meet over the open grave! Jeff and Ollie Moe died for their country. They were boys of this community, part and parcel of our people and it seems that we, as a community, express to the sorrowing father our keen appreciation of the supreme sacrifice of his two sons, and the irreparable loss sustained by him. Your country, but especially your community, owes you a debt of gratitude that can never be paid!

Leon Wimer

Leon Wimer died Thursday morning [October 17, 1918] of this week. He was taken with the influenza ten days ago and it turned into pneumonia from which he died.

He was born in Minneota on July 16, 1893 and was thus but 25 years of age. He was a son of Mr and Mrs C J Wimer, of this city and was associated with his father herein the drug business. He was married in December 1913 to Miss Sue Mullen, who with a little daughter survives him. Besides his father and mother he is survived by three sisters and a brother who is in the navy.

Leon went through the local school but quit before graduating from the high school in order to take up a course in Highland Park College, Des Moines, Iowa, from which institution he was graduated in 1913.

Leon was one of the rising young business men of Minneota and he enjoyed the good-will of all and the close friendship of a large circle. He was a product of the community, a boy whom we all had watched grow to manhood right among us. We had watched him at play and at work and we knew his characteristics, were acquainted with his likes and dislikes and we had learned to admire him and to like him and to feel that in him the community had one of its substantial men of affairs.

He was bright, full of life and one who loved fun and frolic and entered in to a good time with zest and enthusiasm. He loved life, was fond of his family and friends and entered into the social activities of the community with interest.

He was his father’s right hand in business matters and took a very keen interest in the business in which they were engaged.

It is hard for us to realize that this young man is no more and the grief that has come over his father, mother, wife and other relatives is one that is felt and shared by the whole community. It is at times like these when we feel how much like a family we the inhabitants of the community and how, when one member is taken away it is the loss of all. Leon’s death is a distinct loss to us all and we can only regret, all of us, that we can not more adequately express to his sorrowing wife, parents and kindred the way we feel. But let them rest assured that their sorrow is shared by all their old friends and that at this hour thoughts of friendship, sympathy and love center upon the Wimer families.

Col Gus Knutson

Col Gus Knutson died at his home in this city last Friday morning [October 18, 1918]. He had been down with the influenza since the previous Sunday. He had been out of his head most of the time and pneumonia set in early and it was from this that he died.

He leaves a widow and two children, also two brothers, Thor and Knute, both located here and two brothers in Norway, Ole and Ingebret, and his parents, both of whom are living in Norway.

Mr Knutson was married to Miss Edna Williams, of Glencoe, in June 1906.

Gus Knutson was born in Norway May 10, 1876 and when 17 years of age he struck out for the New World, all alone. He found a home with some acquaintances in Illinois and there he lived for four years, afterwards he went to Iowa and made his home there for some time. After having been in this country for a number of years he went back to Norway for a visit, remaining about a year with the folks “at home.” He then came back to his country and we think it was about sixteen years ago that he came to the Minneota locality. He worked on a farm in Swede Prairie for some time and then came to Minneota where he went into the saloon business, in which business he was engaged for a number of years. He sold out his saloon business and went into the meat business which he later disposed of and engaged in the restaurant business in which he was at the time of his death.

But for the last twelve of fourteen years Col Gus Knutson was best known for his auctioneering. He was considered the foremost farm auctioneer in this part of the state and he had more sales than almost all the rest of the auctioneers of this territory put together. His ability was recognized and regardless of cut rates or anything else they all wanted Gus.

He was the most happy when crying a sale. He felt that he was then doing that for which he possessed ability beyond the average and he enjoyed it. He was in his element when leaning over the auction block as he was nowhere else, and we are told that his last days, the days that he was out of his head, he was talking auction all the time and the last word he spoke was “Sold!”

Kind, good-natured happy Gus! A friend of everybody, a man who would share his last crust of bread or divide his last dime with someone who needed it! Everybody has a good word for Gus and he enjoyed the esteem of the community. It is difficult to realize that this healthy, strong, active, ambitious young man has been taken away from us right in the midst of his usefulness and vigor.

The memory of Gus Knutson will live in the hearts of his friends and we dare say that they will keep that memory green to the end of their days.

He was a man who started life with nothing but health and what native ability he possessed, and if ever a man made the most of his opportunities Gus did. He had no school advantages but he had a good stock of common sense and he had energy and he was not afraid of work.

He was a booster for the community in every way that he knew how. There was not a subscription list but Gus was on, there was not an entertainment for charity or patriotic purposes but Gus was on the job to do his bit. The Red Cross, the Soldiers’ Relief Association, every patriotic organization always had his services to commend free of charge for any function. Gus always boosted and never knocked. It was not in his nature to throw cold water or go about with cold feet. If anybody wanted to get something done Gus was for helping him do it. We do not think that it is on record that Gus ever turned down an appeal for help where it was in his power to render it. He was far too generous for his own good, far too willing to neglect things of his own that he might find time to boost the schemes of others.

The ambitious record of fame will not write his name among the great of the state or nation, but in the humble annals of the common folks, among whom he lived, there the name of this man, who was true to his friends and helpful to his community, will live as long as memories last.

There was no hypocrisy about Gus. He did not pretend to be socially bigger or morally better than he was. With the poor, with the workingman he was right at home and he could also associate with those who were rich, those whose station in life placed them at an advantage. Rich or poor it was all the same to Gus. He seemed to have the faculty of appealing to every man, on the human interest side of his nature, and he made friends in every walk and station alike.

A half a million dollars probably represented the value of goods put by him over the block in the course of a year. There was many a chance for favoritism in that volume of business, but Gus never showed that even a temptation crossed his mind in that direction. It was one of his strongest holds upon the public that everyone knew that he would get an absolutely fair deal from Gus. He worked for the man who was putting on the sale from the moment he began until he was through and it is not on record that he ever favored a friend in the matter of knocking a thing down to him. When on the auctioneers stand he had only one friend and that was the man he was selling for.

But Gus was cut down in the prime of his usefulness and the community has lost by his death one whom it will be difficult to replace. He was one of exceptional character and Minneota will long have occasion to regret his untimely demise.

S M S Askdal

S M S Askdal died at his home in this city on the 17th of this month [October 1918]. He had been confined to his bed for nearly four months and had been ailing for a year or more. The cause of death was tumor of the brain.

Sigurdur Matusalem S Askdal was born in Iceland Nov 7th 1861. When he was 21 years of age he came with his father to America and they arrived in Minneota in the fall of 1882. Since that time Mr Askdal has made his home in this locality. He learned the carpenter trade and for a number of years worked at that.

October 19th 1892 he married Miss Finna Gunlaugson and he then bought a farm in the township of Westerheim and from that time until about three years ago he operated this farm. Three years ago le moved to Minneota and has been living here since.

He leaves, besides the widow, the following children: Sigurd, now in the army, Harald, who will go on the next call, Lilja and Jonas, both of whom are in school. He is also survived by his aged father, three half-sisters, Runa, Margaret and Mrs Elmer Olson, and one brother, K S Askdal.

The funeral was conducted from the home last Sunday, Rev G Guttormsson officiating.

Mr Askdal always took a very keen interest in municipal affairs and he held positions of trust in the municipalities where he lived.

He was a Mason of many years standing and was always loyal to that order.

He was a man of very strong convictions and he exerted an influence wherever he interested himself.

Mr Askdal was a man whom but a few knew intimately. His was a nature that seemed to prefer to dwell alone. He was a man who thought a great deal and he was a student of history and literature. Mostly did his reading cover the literature and sagas of his native land. He enjoyed the study of the ancient lore of the Norseman and he was, for one self-educated, well versed in the language and literature of Iceland.

His enjoyments all seemed to be of the intellectual kind. Above all things he enjoyed to get into an argument and never was he more keenly entertained than when he was matching wits in an altercation upon the floor of a public gathering. He enjoyed debating and always welcomed every opportunity to try conclusions with those who differed from him in matters of opinion. He had a keen insight into things and he was not an easy man to down in an argument.

The ideals that shaped his character and the sources from which he drew his inspiration were all from the Golden Age period of the Saga Land – the land he loved so well. Here his youthful heart, with characteristic hero-worship, found the shrines at which to offer his devout enthusiasm for kin and country. Here stood revealed to the eyes of his soul the heroes of the northland, in all their cold, Stoic indifference to pleasure and pain. They became the idols of his youth which passing years modified into ideals. But while Mr Askdal had in him a great deal of the cold aloofness of the Norseman, he was not without the fire of the Celt. Both racial strains go to make up the Icelandic nationality and Mr Askdal had the characteristics of both.

He was a man who hated shams of all kinds and it would not be to overstate the case to say that he frequently became cynical in his comments upon men and things that seemed to him to be parading as something that they were not.

Mr Askdal was a writer of some ability and, in his younger years especially, he wrote a good deal for Icelandic papers and periodicals. He enjoyed a controversy with his pen quite as much as he did an oral one and many is the newspaper battle in which he has engaged. However, of late years he had given up writing for the papers and seemed to devote his spare time entirely to the reading of his favorite authors.

He was a carpenter by trade and worked at that for a number of years, but upon his marriage he went to farming and it was at that vocation he labored up to the time that he rented his farm and came to live in Minneota. In his trade he was a skillful workman and he took pride in doing his work well. When he farmed he did so with the same pride and the same industry that he did other things. His farm was well cultivated and well kept. He was full of energy and was always active and busy.

He was a fine-appearing man, raven black hair and mustache, straight as an arrow with the stride and bearing of a soldier. His eyes were piercing and there was a challenge in his look. There was about him an atmosphere of independence and one could not help thinking that the Viking-born haughtiness of a thousand years ago had found its way down the centuries to adorn the brow of this loyal son of the land of Leifur and Grettir and Gunnar and Njal.

He was a loyal friend and a fair enemy. He took pride in the things that were sturdy. Strength and manliness appealed to him and never to complain and never to give in were with him matters of religion.

Camiel Ligneel

Camiel Ligneel died at his home in this city on the 18th instant [October 18, 1918]. Pneumonia following influenza was the cause of death.

The deceased was a native if Belgium and came to this country about six years ago. He was a single man and was 35 years old.

Mr Ligneel was a large, strong, fine looking man and was a cheerful, friendly good natured fellow who made friends easily. He had lived here since coming to America and he got along well with his neighbors and was liked by all who knew him. He was a dat-laborer and worked mostly at farm work.

He leaves two brothers, Gus and Jules, both of whom are in the army. When the was broke out his parents were living in Belgium but since that time no word had been received of them, and it is not unlikely that they have fallen victims to the terrible Hun. Another brother Prosper lives in Minneota and there are also some half brothers and half sister.

Edward A Ewen

Edward Albert Ewan died on Wednesday of this week [October 23, 1918] from influenza. He had been sick for over a week.

Mr Ewen was a stranger here having come here but recently. He was engaged in work connected with a ditch that is being put through this vicinity.

The deceased was born in Illinois July 6, 1894, and so was but 24 years of age. He was married and his wife’s people live at Glencoe, Minn, to which place the remains were taken for burial.

His mother, Mrs Wanning, and sister, Mrs Watson, arrived here from Presco. Ill, the day before he died.

Those who made the acquaintance of this young man speak of him in high terms and his young wife and family have the sympathy of the community.

Mrs Henry Rye

P J Hanson received a message last Monday announcing the death of his daughter, Mrs Henry Rye, at a hospital in Saskatoon, Sask, Canada. [no date given for death, but obit was in the November 1st edition of the Mascot.]

Mr Hanson sent a message to have the remains shipped here but the regulations at present do not permit the shipping of bodies over the line.

The maiden name of the deceased was Paula Hanson and she was married to Henry Rye in July 1913. They lived in Minneota for a year after their marriage and then moved to Rochester where they lived for some time and some over a year ago went to Canada.

Paula was a daughter of Mr and Mrs P J Hanson and was born in Nordland September 27, 1894. She was 24 years and one month old when she died. Two children survive her, Elwood, 3 years old and Doris, 5 onths old. She was brought up in Minneota and went to school here and graduated from the local high school with the class of 1913.

Paula was a favorite with the people here. She was a bright, genial, good girl and liked by all who made her acquaintance. Why those two little children, who so much needed her loving care, and her devoted husband, should be deprived of her ministering presence at this time is something that we mortals can not understand. She was a woman of fine character and had a good mind. She was industrious and determined to make a success of anything that she undertook. Her many good qualities endeared her to the people here and the news of her death was received with regret by all who knew her.

Sigurjon J Wonpford

Sigurjon J Wopnford died at the house of Mrs Sigurbjorg Johnson, in the township of Royal, Lincoln county, last Sunday morning, Oct 17yj [1918].

He had been down with the influenza for some time and was getting better but appears to have gone out too early and so suffered a relapse and died suddenly.

Mr Wopnford was a native of Iceland and was 47 years of age. He came to America about twenty years ago and has made his home in this locality since then. He was a brother of the Mr Wopnford whose tragic death from exposure, after being run into by a freight train, while in the discharge of his duties as a section hand, on the Minneota section, on a stormy winter’s day some years ago, is still fresh in the memory of most of our local people. Also he has a brother in Winnipeg, C J Wopnford, who was for many years a resident of Marshall and later made his home for some time in Minneota. His mother also survives him and is living in Winnipeg.

Sigurjon Wopnford was a day laborer. He was industrious and thrifty. He was never married and during the life of his brother who died he helped him and his family materially and his considerate kindness to his mother has always been greatly to his credit.

He was happy, cheerful and genial and wherever he worked he made friends. He did the work assigned to him to the best of his ability and his employers always seemed to be satisfied with his efforts. He was kind to everybody, willing and helpful. He was neat in his personal appearance and his demeanor was quiet and pleasing.

In a was he was alone in the world, as the expression goes, and his parting was of the nature wished for by the poet who said, ”And may there be no sadness of farewell when I embark.” Simplicity, kindness, gentleness has characterized him during his life, and while he was still many years removed from that period when the feebleness of age would render him a supplicant at the door of pity or friendship, we believe that it was agreeable to him to step out upon Death’s ferry, while yet it was day, and before the shadows came and the night fell on when he would have to seek a hand to lead him. He gave to life the best he had – and to death as much as a king.

His remains were laid to rest in the cemetery of the Minneota Icelandic congregation and the funeral was conducted by Rev G Guttormsson.

Louis Fonteyn

Louis Fonteyn died from the influenza last Friday, Oct 25th [1918]. He had been sick but a short time.

The deceased was a native of Holland, coming to this country several years ago. The last four years he had been in the employ of Leo Hennen, on the latter’s farm. He was only 26 years of age and was a fine, promising young fellow. He was a steady, industrious young man and is spoken of in the highest of terms by his employer and those who knew him. That Death should so soon force collection of Nature’s debt against him is not only a matter of regret to all but it is also a loss to the community in which he gave so much promise of becoming a citizen of worth and consequence.

The funeral was held from the church in Ghent, Father Van Walleghem officiating.

Mrs Arnthruder Sigurdson

Arnthruder (Jonsdottir) Sigurdson died at the home of her daughter, Mrs John Williamson, last Friday [November 1, 1918]. The deceased had reached the remarkable age of 95 years, 4 months and 16 days.

She was born in Iceland June 15, 1823 and in 1849 was married to Sigurdur Sigurdson, who survives her. Their wedded life extended over a period of 69 years.

They came to America in 1879 and with their son, Sigbjorn, settled on a farm in Limestone, Lincoln county. The deceased is survived by three children: Einar Sigurdson and Mrs John Williamson, both of Minneota, and Sigurdur Sigurdson, whose home is in Canada. The late O G Anderson’s first wife was a daughter of the deceased so the well known Minneota businessmen, Gustaf and Carl Anderson are her grandsons as well as S E and Stone Sigurdson.

The deceased was very much attached to her grand daughter, Bena Sigurdson, who became Mrs P G Thorsteinson and now is Mrs Larson and after the latter’s marriage her grandmother made her home with her for some time. Before that the old folks made their home with their son, Sigbjorn but the last few years have been spent with their daughter, Mrs Williamson. Since 1908, until two years ago, they have lived in North Dakota.

Mr and Mrs Sigurdson were both nearing the sixties when they came to America so the most active part of their lives was spent in the old country. Though not rich they were always comfortably situated and their home was a place frequented by friends and a stranger within their gates was always welcome. Mr and Mrs Sigurdson were both leaders in the community and their home was the center for a large circle of friends who spent many happy occasions with them. Their hospitality was renowned and they were always happy when there was a chance to entertain a visiting friend or a wayfaring wanderer.

Mrs Sigurdson was an excellent housekeeper. Everything about her home had to be clean, neat and orderly. In the days of her girlhood she was considered the most charming young lady in her district and even unto the days of old age there was about her a grace and personality that always pleased.

She was a thrifty, hardworking woman and ruled her house with love and firmness. She was brought up in the religion of her people, the Lutheran, and was all her life a faithful member of that church.

Ninety-five years is a long time to live, and when, as in the case of this woman, the last twelve of them have been spent mostly in bed, it would seem release from nature’s crumbling house of clay is a blessing to be welcomed – and so it was with her. She was ready to go, glad to go, for with the snows of nearly a hundred winters upon her brow and the sunshine of nearly a century of summers at her back, she could look to the future and say with the apostle, “I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I’ve committed unto him against that day.”

The funeral was held from the Williamson residence last Sunday afternoon.

Mrs J Gus Johnson

Mrs Lina Christina (Peterson) Johnson died at her home in this city last Saturday [November 2, 1918]. The cause of death was pneumonia and other complications. She had been in poor health for some time.

The deceased was a native of Sweden, where she was born June 14, 1846. She came to America in 1869. She was married to J Gust Johnson April 15, 1881, having been previously married and her first husband having passed away.

She is survived by eight children and her husband. The children are as follows, the first four being from the second marriage: Mrs Clara Wallender, Mrs Josephine Nelson, Oscar Johnson, Mrs Selma Erickson, Mrs Charlotte Stromer, Alfred Swenson, Anton Swenson and Mrs Emilia Franzine.

After their marriage Mr and Mrs Johnson took up their residence in the township of Swede Prairie where they soon became leaders in the organization of the Swedish congregation which later built the Swede Home church. They were among the founders of this congregation and have been members of it ever since. Mrs Johnson was a very religious woman and she took special interest in all things that would further and promote her church. She was a faithful worker in the ladies aid society of the church and helped in all the work of the congregation. She managed well her household and whatever she did she did it with a determination to make a success of it. She was highly regarded among her neighbors and had a large circle of friends.

For the last fifteen years Mrs Johnson had been in poor health and her husband did his very best to seek her medical aid and to administer to her comfort. Several years ago Mr and Mrs Johnson gave up farming and moved to Minneota.

The funeral was held from the Swede Home church last Wednesday, Rev Shollander, former pastor of the church, officiating, assisted by Rev Volberg. It was Mrs Johnson’s last request of Rev Shollander, when he left here, that he should come back and officiate at her funeral.

John TIllemans Jr

John Tillemans Jr, son of John Tillemans, of this city, died last Friday [November 1, 1918] from pneumonia. He had been sick for three weeks from the influenza and had put up a very hard struggle. Some days it was thought that he was getting better and then again he would sink so that it was thought many times that he would die any minute.

John was sixteen years old and was born in the township of Nordland. He was a quiet, industrious lad and well liked by his associates and elders. He was of the thoughtful and considerate kind and was much thought of in his home. That his young life should so soon be taken is indeed a sad thing. He gave so much promise for the future and he was so much to his father and other members of the family that his demise has stricken with sorrow this happy home.

The funeral was held from the home Friday afternoon, Father W J Stewart officiating.

N M Nelson

Nels Magnus Nelson died last Sunday at the Swedish hospital in Minneapolis. He had been in poor health for some time and went to the hospital for treatment. He had been there but three days when he died.

He was born in Sweden Sept 18, 1850 and came to America in May 1880. He was married to Kristina Pearson before leaving Sweden and she with two sons, Nels J and Alfred C, survives him.

Mr and Mrs Nelson settled on a homestead in the township of Swede Prairie upon their arrival here and have lived there since.

Mr Nelson has always been considered one of the leading citizens of the community and he had as many friends as he had acquaintances. He was always jolly and good natured and he wanted to make others happy and comfortable. He was an honest, hard working man and we believe that he tried hard to live up to the rule of doing unto others as he would have them do unto him. He was free with his means when it came to charity, and no worthy cause came to him without receiving support according to the means at his command. “N M,” as he was generally called, was happy when with his friends. He enjoyed the society of those whom he liked and he was a most companionable man in every respect. The township of Swede Prairie has lost on his death a man who was always willing to do his part, always ready to put his shoulder to the wheel, and one who did not begrudge any service to friend, neighbor or community.

The funeral was held from the Swede Home church yesterday, Rev Volberg, of Clarkfield, officiating.

Mrs Sigurd Sigurdson

Word was received this week that Mrs Sigurd Sigurdson, of McLean county, N D, died from the influenza last Tuesday [Nov 12, 1918].

The deceased was a foster daughter to Mr and Mrs N B Nelson of Minneota. Her maiden name being Magnina Johnson. Her parents died when she was a child and Mr and Mrs Nelson took her into their home and were to her as father and mother until she married, nearly twelve years ago.

She was a very bright woman, and was a school teacher for a number of years before her marriage. She could read and write three languages fluently. Mrs Sigurdson was thirty-four years of age at the time of her death. She leaves, besides her husband, a brother and sister and five young children.

Although this woman had not been a resident of this community for a number of years, she was very well known here, and looked upon by many of our people as a Minneotan. She was born and brought up here and had very many friends in this locality. She was liked by all and her untimely death has caused sorrow among a large circle. To the husband and children there goes out the deepest sympathy in this their hour of sorrow.

John Williamson, of this city, is an uncle to the deceased.

Edwin Rye

Another gold star has been added to the service flag of Minneota.

Edwin Rye, who enlisted in July, died from influenza at Camp Wadsworth, South Carolina. His death occurred on Tuesday [Nov 19, 1918] of this week and the message announcing it was received here on Wednesday. The remains have been ordered shipped home for burial.

Edwin Rye was born in Minneota, Sept 16, 1888. He was 30 years of age last September. He was the son of Mr and Mrs Arnie Rye, his father dying many years ago and his mother now being Mrs Joe Alleckson. He is survived by his mother and four sisters and one brother, as follows: Mrs G W Sweet, Mrs N J Nelson, Mrs E W Nelson, Miss Luella and Ludvig.

Edwin Rye was a Minneota boy in every sense of the term. He was born here, his father was the popular and sturdy village blacksmith, Arnie Rye. Edwin went to school here, grew to manhood in this locality and practically all his life was spent right here in his native community

Everybody knew Edwin. He was a quiet, kindly young man and his friends were many. He was strong, healthy and fine appearing and looked as if he could stand all manner of hardship.

But it was not to be his lot to come back and receive the welcome of friends and loved ones. It was not to be his lot to hear the cheers of the home people when the soldier boys come “marching back.”

No, his was the lot to lay his life while still in the service of his country. In the service flag of his native village his service star has turned to gold. His life has been offered upon the altar of freedom and his name will go down in history engrossed upon the scroll that contains the names of those who have given their lives in this great struggle.

To his mother, his sisters, his brother and his other relatives and friends, has come a deep sorrow. One dear to them has been removed by death. Never again are they to hear the voice of this loved one. The lips from which they expected to hear the story of camp-life and soldiering come back to them sealed in death. It is the old, old story of sorrow and loss.

But the mother may feel proud that she has given to her country so fine a boy. It pleased God that the sacrifice should be a supreme one, and this mother, with thousands of other mothers, is learning the hard story of a son sacrificed upon the altar of patriotism. But American sons would not be the brave and noble lads that they are were it not that they have brave and noble mothers. The mothers of America, whose sons have made the supreme sacrifice, are the real sufferers from this war, in this country. Ever since their boys went to war they have been looking forward to the home-coming – and for so many that homecoming is never to be. What is inconvenience, discomfort, the loss of a few dollars compared with the loss that a mother sustains when her boy is taken away from her!

It is to the mother of Edwin Rye, it is to the mothers of America who have given their sons, that community and nation bring their sympathy and gratitude.

Thomas G Haugen

Thomas G Haugen was killed in action October 10th [1918]. This message came to Mrs Emma Haugen last Monday. Tom Haugen reached France in August.

Thomas Haugen, as far as we know, is the first one from the Minneota territory to be killed in action.

He was a son of Mr and Mrs N E Haugen, of Eidsvold, and was born in that township May 28, 1893. His father died several years ago but his mother is still living. He is also survived by two brothers and two sisters, Herman, Nels, Mrs Mary Mattson and Miss Eliza.

Tom Haugen has spent all his life in this community. He was worked on the home farm and been one of the promising young men of the neighborhood. Tom was well liked and had meny friends and was in every respect a man whose death is a loss, not only to his family but to the community as a whole.

Olafur G Arnason

Olafur G Arnason died from an attack of measles, followed by pneumonia, Nov 9th [1918]. This message came to Mrs Maria Arnason last Wednesday.

Olafur was in France, getting there about October 6th.

Olafur Arnsaon was a son of Mr and Mrs Ingjaldur Arnason, of Swede Prairie. He enlisted June 14 last and was for a while stationed in St Paul. He was sent to France in September, arriving there Oct 6yh.

Olafur was born in Iceland Dec 25, 1886. He came with his parents to America in 1891. For a short time the family made its home in Canada but most of the time have lived right in this community.

Olafur was a carpenter by trade and there are a number of artistic and well built houses in this community to attest to his skill in that line. He was a very quiet fellow, a man who thought a great deal – and kept his thoughts mostly to himself. He worked on several inventions and procured a patent on one ot two.

Wherever he went he was liked. He was one of those men who listen to advice but keep their own counsel. He was an upright young man for whom the future held bright prospects. He has a brother C W Arnason, in the service, and another at home, Clark.

Oscar Thompson

Oscar Thompson died Nov 21st [1918] old age and infirmity of long standing were the cause of death.

Oscar Thompson was born in Telemarken, Norway, in May 1829, and so was 89 years of age at his death.

He came to America in 1861 and for some time lived in White Water, Wis. In 1875 he came with his family to Lyon county, Minnesota and took a homestead in the township of Westerheim. Here he lived until about fifteen years ago when he and his wife moved to Minneota. His wife died in 1915. Since last spring he has been making his home with Mr and Mrs Joe White, Mrs White being his granddaughter. Much credit is due Mrs White for the excellent manner in which she has taken care of her grandfather during the period he has been with her, four months of which he was confined to bed.

The following childen survive Mr Thompson: Thomas, Carrie, Bell, Oscar, Albert and Johanna. The late Mrs J C Rogde was also a daughter of his.

Mr Thompson was a high type of sturdy, honest Norse character. He was one of the founders of the now prosperous settlement of Westerheim and he went through the founding and up-building period of this locality and with the other pioneers did the great and noble work of establishing a permanent community upon the then sparsely settled prairies, when neighbors were few and far between.

He was a man whose word was always as good as his bond. He was quiet, industrious, thrifty and filled his place as husband, father, friend and neighbor in a manner that endeared him to his family and made him a respected member of the community.

He was a man of strong religious convictions and a like long member of the Lutheran church. The funeral services were held from the White home last Sunday afternoon, Rev Christenson, of Hendricks, officiating.

Out of town relatives who attended the funeral were: Mr and Mrs O H Spark, Marshall, Mrs Carrie Fuhrman, Mrs Wickstrom, Thomas Thompson, all of Minneapolis, and Albert Thompson, of St Paul.

Mrs Ida Vynche

Mrs Ida Vynche , wife of Leonard Vynche, died at her home in the township of Burton Monday [Nov 25, 1918]. Cancer was the cause of death. She had been sick for a long time and had suffered a great deal.

The funeral was held from the home Tuesday, Father W J Stewart officiating.

The deceased was 72 years of age and was a native of Belgium where she was born Aug 30, 1846. Mr and Mrs Vynche were for a short time residents of Minneota and recently moved the the John Peppersack farm in Burton, where Mrs Vynche died.

Mrs Vynche was twice married and Joseph Dhaese, who died here on the 14th of October, was her son from her first marriage. Mrs Firmin Jacxsens is also a daughter of hers.

We have not been able to secure more data for a sketch of the deceased. Those who knew her tell us that she was a woman of high character and well liked.

Mrs Kristin Arngrimson

Mrs Kristin Arngrimson, wife of Joseph Arngrimson, died at the state hospital at St Peter the first part of the week. She had been a patient at the hospital for a number of years. Mr and Mrs Joseph Arngrimson were former residents of the township of Limestone, Lincoln county and were among the pioneer settlers of the Icelandic colony of Lincoln county. Mr Arngrimson has of late years been making his home part of the time on the coast and part of the time in North Dakota. Besides the husband the deceased is survived by two sons and one daughter, all of whom are in North Dakota. The late Mrs C P Nelson, of Limestone, was also a daughter of the deceased. Mrs Arngrimson was a woman greatly admired for her many good and pleasing qualities, and the sickness that mastered her mental faculties, was a shocking blow to her family and friends. We understand that the remains have been shipped to Ivanhoe and that interment will be in the Icelandic cemetery in Limestone.

Mrs Amanda Hammer

Mrs Amanda Hammer, wife of Edwin Hammer, of Nordland, died from the influenza Dec 19th. Her husband had been at the hospital in Marshall, where he was operated on for appendicitis, and Mrs Hammer went down to see him, returning from Marshall Sunday Dec 15. She was not feeling well when she came from Marshall and went to bed that same day. From that on she kept getting worse and died on Thursday.

The deceased was 33 years old. She was born August 21, 1885, in the township of Limestone, Lincoln county, her parents being the well known pioneer couple, Mr and Mrs Jens Willman.

Amanda Willman and John Hammer were married in 1906 and have lived on a farm in the township of Nordland since. Three children have been born to them, two of which are living, one girl nine years old and another seven years old.

The funeral was held last Monday, Rev Christenson, of Hendricks, officiating. Interment was in the Hemnes cemetery.

Mrs Hammer was well known in this community and was a woman who enjoyed the friendship of a large circle. Those who knew her speak of her very highly and the sympathy of the whole community is with the young husband and his two little daughters in this their hour of deep sorrow and great loss.

Out of town people who attended the funeral were: Mr and Mrs Arthur Owen, of Minneapolis, Ole Peterson, of Minneapolis, and Gilbert Magnuson, of Osseo, Minn.