1916 Minnesota Mascot obituary entries

extracted by Becky Hanson

William Moses Nevins

William Moses Nevins, who died at Dawson on January 11th [1916] and was buriedoin the Dawson cemetery on January 14th was born November 17th, 1839 in Macoupin county, Illinois, residing there until 1861 when he was married to Louise McGinnis. To this union seven children were born of whom one preceded the father in death.

In 1893 Mr Nevins made a profession of religion and joined the M E church at Medors, Iowa. In the fall of 1913 he moved to Dawson, Minn and there joined the M E church.

He leaves to mourn his loss a wife, six children and two sisters.

Methusalem Johnson

Methusalem Johnson, who died of pneumonia at his home on the town of Royal, Lincoln county, Feb 9th [1916], was a native of Iceland. He came to America with his family in the summer of 1878 and settled on a homestead of 160 acres where his home has been ever since.

The family left to mourn the loss of a good husband and father, consists of the aged widow and five children whose names are, Stephen, Carl, John, Bertha and Sarah.

The earthly remains were laid to rest in the cemetery of the Icelandic Lutheran church in the township of Limestone, on Feb 12. Rev Fridriksson, of Minneota, conducted the services which in spite of a severe snowstorm, were attended by a large number of people anxious to express by their presence the respect they found due a man who could always be depended on as a staunch friend and a self-sacrificing neighbor.

Mrs Norris K Farnum

Mrs Norris K Farnum, nee Edith Isabel Downing, died at her home near Taunton, on March 13 [1916], from pneumonia.

Deceased was 57 years of age and was born in Wisconsin Feb 13, 1859. When a child she moved with her parents to Illinois and later to Iowa. In June 1878 she was married to N K Farnum and that same year Mr and Mrs Farnum came to Minnesota and settled on a farm in this neighborhood, where they have since lived.

Mrs Farnum's parents were Mr and Mrs John Downing. Mr Downing survives his daughter. She is also survived by her husband and the following children: Mrs H T Lindsay, Marshall, E R Farnum, Beach, N D, Mrs John Penkert, Taunton, and Mrs Ed Nan Derbrak, Orange City, Ia.

The funeral was held from the residence and the services were conducted by Rev E H Goodell, of Marshall.

Mrs Farnum was a woman of many exceptional and commending qualities. She showed marked ability in the administration of household affairs and proved herself a devoted wife and mother. She early gained and ever held the respect and esteem of her neighbors and in the endurance of the pioneer hardships and difficulties she proved herself a worthy member of that great band of sturdy men and women who braved the pioneer privations and laid the foundation of this, now rich and prosperous community.

Daniel Johnson

On Saturday, March 18 [1916], the summons of death came to one of our young men, Daniel Johnson, who died of tuberculosis at the home of his brother, M D Johnson, in this village. The deceased was born Dec 2nd, 1889 in Limestone township, Lincoln county, and lived there until three years ago. Since that time he has made his home with his brother, with the exception of four months which were spent in search of improvement of health last fall, at a sanitarium in Denver, Colo. This attempt to escape the grip of the dreaded "white plague" proved futile, and he returned to Minneota in January to await the end, which he knew then was to be but a short distance away.

Daniel Johnson possessed a quiet and steadfast character, and approached the inevitable with a calmness but seldom witnessed in one so young, indicating strength of soul unaffected by ailments of the body.

The funeral services were conducted at the Norwegian Lutheran church Tuesday afternoon, by Rev E J Hinderlie in the presence of an assemblage that taxed the seating capacity of the church.

Near relatives left to mourn the departed are five brothers and one sister all now residing in Minneota.

Mabel Hammer

Miss Mabel Hammer, daughter of Mr and Mrs Gilbert Hammer of Nordland, died Wednesday afternoon from inflammatory rheumatism. The disease attacked the heart and the end came after a sleep of several hours, from which it can hardly be said that there was any awakening. Her father sat by her bedside during the last afternoon and at the time of her passing held her hand, but so gently did death do his work that the father hardly knew when life had ceased.

Miss Mabel Hammer was a student in the normal Department of the local high school and was taken ill during vacation week about a fortnight ago. She graduated from the Minneota High School with the class of 1915 and was fitting herself for teaching. She had an excellent school record and was a good student and a hard worker.

She was born January 3, 1897, in the township of Nordland and was confirmed in 1911 by Rev E J Hinderlie and was a member of Hemnes Lutheran church.

During the years she spent in school here she attended the local Norwegian Lutheran church and was a teacher in the Sunday School of that church. She was a goodm Christian girl and lived up to the religion she professed.

Mabel Hammer was a general favorite in this community and during her stay in town had made friends of all who came in contact with her. Her disposition was pleasing and her quiet and kindly manner endeared her to all who knew her. She was thorough and pains-taking in her work and could always be relied upon to perform the task assigned her with skill and intelligence.

This is a sad hour for Mabel was dear to the heart of every member of the household. Death is almost always sad because it severs the earthly ties with which love binds heart with heart, but it is doubly sad when it takes away a life just entering upon the bright morning of its usefulness. And for Mabel it was a bright morning indeed, for God had richly endowed her with the gifts that are ever an earnest of a true and noble life. But He who rules the worlds and shapes the destiny of nations knows when it is best that the "silver cord be loosed and the golden bowl be broken," for what matters the ealy hour of departure to them who have "remembered their Creator in the days of their youth?" To one so prepared it does not matter, but the relatives and friends who loved will be filled with sorrow, nevertheless; and to them the freely given sympathy of their friends is a small consolation - and yet the tear of sympathy is the holiest offering on the altar of friendship. Mr and Mrs Hammer, this community feels deep concern in your great sorrow!

The funeral will be held from the Hammer home in Nordland Saturday, May 6 , at about noon. Services at the Hemnes church at 2 o'clock p m. Rev Christianson will conduct the service and Rev E J Hinderlie will assist and speak in English.

Adam Kockelman

Adam Kockelman died at his home in the township of Omro, Yellow Medicine county, Thursday, May 11, 1916. He was 74 years, 7 months and 14 days old and had been down with pneumonia for about two weeks.

The deceased was born in Germany September 27, 1841, and came to America in 1878.

Mr Kockelman and a Mr Roller, now deceased, were the founders of the German settlement on the St Leo neighborhood. They both built their pioneer shanties in April 1878. The first shanty built was that of Mr Roller and the next day that of Mr Kockelman. It did not take long to build a "residence" in those days and every man was his own carpenter. The party that built these two shanties consisted of the following: Clo McPhail, who was a surveyor and located all settlers in those days; George Geiwitz, now residing in Minneota; George Kile, father of A J Kile, of this city; Fred Meinzer, Tom Martin, Mr Roller and Adam Kockelman.

From the place where these two shanties were put up there was not a human habitation to be seen anywhere.

Here, then, and under these conditions Mr Kockelman and his wife began in the "new world." They were young and strong and they worked hard. They possessed the thrift and energy and stick-to-it-iveness of the German and they soon began to prosper. Other families began to move into the locality opened by Kockleman and Roller abd it was not long before a prosperous settlement was to be found here.

[incomplete obituary]

John Pennington

John Pennington, formerly of this place, died at the home of his son, Harry, in Glendive, Mont, last Sunday [June 11, 1916]. The remains were brought to Minneota and the funeral was held from the Catholic church Thursday morning of this week, Father Stewart officiating.

John Pennington was born in England 80 years ago and came to America with his family in 1883. He settled on a farm in Eidsvold and for 30 years was a well liked and much respected resident of this community. Several years ago he lost his wife and three years ago he went to live with his son Harry, at whose home he died.

During all the years that he lived in this locality Mr Pennington enjoyed the respect of the community. He was a pleasant man to meet and always cheerfuland ready with some pleasantry. He was an honest, hard-working man and as a pioneer of the prairies went through the usual hardships and difficulties. All the old-timers here remember John and none of them but have a good word for the pleasant, kindly neighbor who so long lived among them.

Three sons survive Mr Pennington, they are: Harry, James B and Joseph A.

Ingibjorg Austdal

At her home, a short distance from Ivanhoe, Lincoln county, on June 20, 1916, Mrs Ingibjorg Austdal, aged 76 years, answered the summons of death. The cause of death being cancer of the stomach.

The deceased was born in Iceland, Dec 12th, 1839. Came to America, a widow with thess children in 1878, and in 1879 married Th G Austdal, settling in Lake Stay township, Lincoln county where they have lived ever since.

Besides the aged husband she is survived by three sons from the first marriage. They are: J P Gudmundson, Of Limestone, Thor Gudmundson, of Ivanhoe, and S G Gudmundson, of Russel. The two daughters born to the second union are: Mrs Walter Gudmundson, of Lake Stay, and Mrs L D Shible, of Granville, N D.

The departed was in poor health since early in the spring, but bore her cross of sickness and the natural fragility of old age with a Christian fortitude that won the admiration of all who visited her bedside.

The funeral took place June 21st from the Icelandic church in Limestone township, and interment was made in the cemetery of that church. Rev Fr Fridriksson, of Minneota, pronouncing the last rites in presence of a host of friends and relatives.

Jul Ranum

A message to Ole E Rye from Manfred, N D, received on Thursday of last week, announced the death of his uncle, Jul Ranum.

The brothers, Ole and Andrew Rye, and Mr and Mrs C K Melby, left immediately for Manfred to attend the funeral.

Jul Ranem was 81 years old and was for many years a resident of this locality. He was born in Valdres, Norway, and came to America about 1870. For a short time he lived in Wisconsin and then moved to Northfield, Minn, where he remained for about six years. In 1878 he came to Lyon county, Minn, and settled on a homestead in Grandview. He lived there until 1898 when he sold the place and bought a small farm in Nordland. He lived in the latter town until 1909 when he removed ro Manfred, N D, to live with his son, Ole Ranum, who is postmaster at that place. Besides this son Mr Ranum is survived by his aged wife.

Mr Ranum's long residence in this locality gained for him an extensive acquaintance here and he is well remembered by all the older residents. He was a man who made friends easily and one whose fine character and honesty were respected by all who knew him.

John Peter Boulton

John Peter Boulton died last Thursday, July 6 [1916]. He was 80 years old and was one of the early settlers in this locality. Mr Boulton was born in Westmoreland, England, Mat 2, 1836 and came to America in 1868. In 1864, four years before leaving England, he married Mary Pennington. Mr and Mrs Boulton settled first in New Jersey but soon moved to Pennsylvania. At Raven Run , Pa, Mr Boulton was for many years an engineer in the coal mines. He was an engineer of high standing and recognized by his employers and fellow tradesmen for his ability.

In 1880 Mr Boulton felt the "callof the West" so strongly that he determined to abandon hiw work as an engineer and came to Minnesota to farm. He arrived here that year with his family and took a homestead in Alta Vista township, Lincoln county. The winter of 1880-1881 was Mr Boulton's first year in Minnesota; it was also the famed "snow winter" so he was duly and properly initiated, right from the start. But Boulton was not a man easily discouraged. He pitched right into the pioneer life and work and soon made a win of it. For several years he was engineer for John Swenson (later the famous Canby banker) in the latter's mill in Canby. He also took up grain threshing and for many years was one of the most efficient and best known threshers of this part of the state. He was an active, wide-awake man and things had to "go" whenever he took a hand.

He was a king hearted man and very hospitable. It has been said of him that he fed and housed more wayfares than any other man in his own and adjoining counties. No one was ever turned away from the Boulton home.

With his neighbors Mr Boulton was popular and wherever he went he made friends. He was possessed of much native wit, quick at repartee and an excellent story teller.

Mr Boulton was independent in thought and action. He was a sturdy character, of strong convictions and had ample courage to back up any stand he took. He was honored by his neighbors with positions of trust in the municipality and everywhere acquitted himself with credit.

Born an Englishman he was proud of this fact, but no man could be more loyal to the country of his adoption than he was. He was a member of the Catholic church, true and loyal to its teachings and gave liberally to promote its enterprises. We are told that he was among the largest donators to the building fund of the local Catholic church.

The funeral took place from St Edward's church last Saturday and was attended by very many people. Father Stewart officiated. The pallbearers were: T P Culshaw, P P Ahern, M F Ahern, Camille Traen, Joseph Bukuski and J B Culshaw.

Mrs Julia Prelwitz

Mrs Julia Prelwitz died at the home of her son, William Prelwitz, in the township of Alta Vista last Monday [July 10, 1916]. She was 80 years of age and for the last two months had been bedridden.

Mrs Prelwitz was born in Germany May 9, 1836, and there married Ludvig Prelwitz. They came to America in 1879 and for 8 years they lived in Wisconsin. In 1878 they came to Lincoln county, Minnesota and settled on a homestead in Alta Vista. Ludvig Prelwitz died about 15 years ago.

Mr and Mrs Prelwitz were prominent pioneers in the township of Alta Vista and with characteristic German thrift and industry made for themselves a comfortable home and won the esteem and respect of all their neighbors.

Three sons and one daughter survive Mrs Prelwitz. They are: Gustav, who lives on the state of Washington; William, who lives in Alta Vista, Lincoln county; Herman, at Bellingham, Minn, and Mrd Ed Buttke, of Thompson, N D.

Mrs Julia Prelwitz was a woman of high character, strong mind and exceptional executive ability. She was a born manager and the affairs of her household were constantly under her watchful eye. To her good management and excellent business sense her husband owed no small amount of his material success.

During her declining years Mrs Julia Prelwitz made her home with her son, William, and his wife, and they have ministered to her need and comfort in a very creditable manner.

The funeral was held Thursday of this week from the Prelwitz home and interment was made in the Alta Vista cemetery.

Fred Rockwell

Fred Rockwell died at the home of his daughter, Mrs Georgie Towner, in Bristow, Oklahoma, last Sunday, July 23 [1916]. Mr and Mrs Rockwell, who have livedin Monticello since leaving here, were visiting their daughter at the time of Mr Rockwell's death.

Fred Rockwell was born in Nova Scotia about 80 years ago and came to the state of Wisconsin with his parents, when a mere child.

When he was about 25 years old he was married to Miss Isabell Anderson.

In 1877 Mr Rockwell filed on a homestead in Burton, Yellow Medicine county, and in 1879 he brought his family here. He lived on this place in Burton until about 1900 when Mr and Mrs Rockwell gave up farming and came to Minneota to live. Three or four years later thay disposed of their property here and moved to Monticello, MInn, where they have since been lining.

All the older residents of this village and vicinity will remember Fred Rockwell. He was a quiet man and got along with his neighbors without trouble. He was well liked and everywhere his honesty and good intentions were recognized.

Two children survive Mr Rockwell, they are: Monty Rockwell, now located in California and Mrs Georgie Towner, Bristow, Okla.

The funeral was held this week, the remains being brought to Brownsdale for burial.

Helen Foulon

The community of Ghent was shocked Wednesday morning to learn of the death of Miss Helen Foulon, daughter of Mr and Mrs Chas Foulon of that village.

Miss Foulon had been spending several weeks visiting friends in Montana and on her return was taken ill at Mankato and from there went to Rochester to consult the Mayos.

Tumor of the brain was discovered to be her trouble and it seems that nothing could be done for her. She remained at Rochester for nine days before she died, her death occurring on Tuesday, Aug 8 [1916].

Miss Helen Foulon was born in the township of Grandview on March 21, 1893, and for the last six or seven years has been assistant cashier in her father's bank in Ghent. She was a girl of winning manners and cheerful disposition and she made friends of all the patrons of the bank. She was her father's right hand in all matters of business and proved herself capable of taking complete charge of the institution whenever necessary, as was frequently proven in her father's absence from the business.

Miss Foulon was a general favorite, not only in the business circles of her community, but in society as well. Wherever she went, wherever she came in contact with people, she made friends and her unaffected, natural manners and her kindly disposition won for her a way to the hearts of all. She was indeed a young woman of much talent and many admirable qualities and the sympathy of hundreds of friends and acquaintances goes out to Mr and Mrs Foulon in this their great sorrow.

Miss Helen Foulon was a young lady who gave every promise of a most useful career. She was a girl who had learned to make herself useful both at home and in the business world and because of her many qualities in the direction of usefulness was onewhomparents, friends and community will naturally miss beyond the ordinary.

The funeral will be held on Friday of this week at 10 o'clockin the morning, the following priests will conduct the services: Father Van Wallegham, Father W J Stewart, Father Van der Velden, Father Schaefer and Father Carlin.

Mrs William Nevins

Mrs William Nevins died at the home of her daughter, Mrs O A Burlingame, of Minneota, after a lingering illness of some 4 months duration.

Mrs Nevins (nee Miss Louise McGinnis) was born March 30, 1845 in Macuopin Co, Ill., where she resided until 1861 when she was married to William Nevins, who only preceded her in death by scarcely seven months. He died January 11, 1916 at their home in Dawson, Minn. To this union seven children were born and all living with the exception of Mary and Isalona, who died in infancy. The others were all with her at times during her long sickness and are as follows: Mrs T M Wolfe, of Healdsburg, Ca., James A, of Bartlett Neb., John H, of Dawson, Charles G, of Taunton, Elmer G, of Porter, Mrs O A Burlingame, of Minneota.

Besides these children she also leaves five sisters and three brothers to mourn their loss.

Mrs Nevins gave her heart to Christ in 1860 and kept her faith to Him throughout the remainder of her life uniting with the Methodist and Baptist churches.

Mr and Mrs Nevins moved from Illinois to Medora, Iowa, and in 1901 they moved to Ported, Minn., and later to Dawson, where she lived until her last sickness.

Mrs Nevins has been bed-ridden since about April 15, when she came to be cared for in the home of her daughter, Mrs O A Burlingame, where all was done for her that loving hands and willing hearts could do.

She bore her continued and severed pain with great patience and her faith in the Redeemer was steadfast and bright, often with the wish on her lips that death might come soon.

Services were conducted by Rev Shock in the Presbyterian church, August 12. The body was laid to rest in the Dawson cemetery.

Olive Anderson

Miss Olive Anderson died at the home of her mother, in this city, last Monday at 11:45 am. The cause of death was accidental poisoning, through taking by mistake a tablet of corrosive sublimate, also known as bichlorid of mercury, thinking that it was a headache tablet.

This fatal mistake was made on the morning of Sunday, Sept 10. Miss Anderson awoke early with a severe headache and got up to look for some headache tablets, but, in the dim light of the early dawn, she picked up the poison tablets instead and as the two tablets are very much alike she never suspected the deadly nature of the innocent looking tablet she swallowed. She had procured the bichlorid of mercury some time during the early spring or summer and used them, dissolved in water, as a skin wash. She was bothered somewhat with eczema and it was an attempt to cure this that she used the wash prepared from the tablets.

Bichlorid of mercury works slowly, so that while Miss Anderson was sick right after taking it and continued so, it was not until Thursday night that the nature of her sickness was discovered. The family physician was called and an examination confirmed the fears entertained, that a mistake had been made in the matter of the tablets. Besides the family physician, Dr Sanderson and Dr Kilbride of Canby were called, but nothing could be done, for it hardly known in medical annals that anyone recovers from a dose of this poison. Miss Anderson suffered a great deal at times, but was for the most part conscious, except the last days when she was in a state of coma most of the time, from which she could, however, be aroused to consciousness if talked to. From the very first her physician gave no hope and said she would not to exceed ten or twelve days. She died on the ninth day after taking the tablet. The tablet had in it poison enough to kill four men.

These are in brief the facts, the material things in connection with this tragic death - but they tell not the story of the hearts that ache and bleed; they weigh not the burden that has crushed the mother-heart. Almost a week the faithful mother nursed her sick child only to learn that a deadly and unconquerable foe was slowly but surely doing its work of destruction, ready to defy alike the skill of the doctor and the love of the mother. Mrs Gudrun Anderson has seen much of sorrow. When about eighteen she lost her mother. Since that three sisters and a brother, her husband, a step daughter and a step son have been called away, and now this tragic death of her only daughter, just upon the threshold of womanhood, comes as a climax in a series of deep sorrows.

Miss Olive Anderson was born in Minneota Sept 4, 1895, and so was just 21 years and two seeks old when she died. She was a daughter of the late O G Anderson, the well-known Minneota merchant who died in 1904, and his wife Gudrun (Jokull) Anderson.

Olive grew up a favorite in her home and among her playmates and associates in the community. She was cheerful, happy, full of the vigor of youth and the joy of life. She was graduated from the Minneota high school in 1914 and the school year of 1914-1915 taught a country and in the fall of 1915 took a course in the Mankato Normal and remained in that institution until the spring, of 1916 when a severe attack of the grip forced her to give up her studies and return home.

Miss Anderson was a girl of great executive ability. She worked hard to finish any task she undertook and all her work was done with enthusiasm and characteristic vim. She loved life and action and the dull and humdrum was not welcome to her. She was a child of the breeze and the sunshine and song and laughter spoke to her a native language.

But though so full of the gladness of youth she was not frivolous. There was too much to her than that. She had a quick, active intellect and it was easy for her to learn. And her learning was not all book learning, either, for she was well skilled in all manner of housework and in the different "arts" that go to make up that "higher education" which a girl gets under the guidance of a good mother, and which fits her for the practical side of life much better that any of the things taught in the schools and colleges. Seldom has it been our privilege to know a girl where there was so much promise for the future, so much positive strength, so much capacity to accomplish, so much energy, so much force, so much that is characteristic of the men and women who do big things in life.

But the sliver cord is loosed and the golden bowl is broken! The life so full of promise has gone to a land where promises give way to fulfillment and hope meets realization. Why did this tragedy happen? Why! Yes, and echo answers, why? It may be that some of the little things of existence are within our grasp, but when it comes to the great "whys" of life and death the book is sealed. Fortunate he who can, on such occasions as these, say, as did the New England poet,

"I know not where His islands lift

Their fronded palms in air:

I only know I cannot drift

Beyond His love and care.

The deceased leaves, besides her mother, the following brothers: Gustav, Carl, Peter, Herbert and Theodore.

The funeral was held from the home at 9:30 Thursday morning of this week and from the Icelandic church at 10 o'clock. Rev K K Olafson, of Mountain, N D, conducted the service and spoke in Icelandic while Rev Hinderlie assisted and spoke in English.

Mrs Marie Ostul

Mrs Marie Ostul died at the home of her son, Martin, last Sunday [9/17/1916]. She was nearly 76 years old being born in Norway Oct 30, 1840.

She was married to John O Ostul and came to America in 1867. They settled in Wisconsin where they lived eleven years. In 1878 they came to Lyon county, Minnesota, and settled on a farm in Nordland township. They farmed here for many years and were among the foremost pioneers of the locality.

Mr Ostul died many years ago and Mrs Ostul has been making her home with her son, Martin, who is farming the "old home place."

Mrs Ostul was a woman of strong character and worked hard and faithfully in discharging her duties to her family. She was a kind mother and gave her children as much of the comforts of the pioneer period as her unselfish efforts in that direction could bring forth under the then commonly adverse circumstances.

Mrs Ostul was a member of Hemnes church and a good, God-fearing woman. The old friends, of the old days, when this locality was younger and times and conditions different, speak of Mrs Ostul as one who understood and appreciated difficulties and was ever ready to lend a helping hand to the full extent of her ability. Truly it may be said that good woman has gone to receive the reward of a well spent life.

In the presence of a very large gathering of friends and neighbors Mrs Ostul's funeral was held from Hemnes church Wednesday afternoon, Rev O L Christianson conducting the service assisted by Rev E J Hinderlie.

The following children survive the deceased: John, Martin, Emma, Mrs John Rockensock, Mrs Betsy Rockensock and Mrs Bell Weltz.

Mrs Carrie Hanson

Mrs Carrie Hanson, wife of Rasmus Hanson, of Minneota, died at the home of her son, O R Hanson, last Friday [November 24, 1916]. The deceased was 76 years of age, being born in Norway June 4, 1840.

The funeral was held from the Norwegian Lutheran church, of this city, Wednesday of this week and was attended by many of the friends and acquaintances of the deceased. Rev E J Hinderlie conducted the services.

Mrs Hanson's maiden name was Carrie O Moen and she was married to Rasmus Hanson, in Norway, in the year 1862. They came to America in 1868 and settled in Fillmore county, Minneaota, where they lived about five years. In 1873 they came to Lyon county, Minnesota, and settled on a farm in Westerheim, where they lived until a few years ago when they came to Minneota, where they have made their home since.

All those who know Mrs Hanson speak of her in the very highest terms. She was woman who made friends of all who came in contact with her and she was helpful to her friends and neighbors in every way she could. The year 1873 is an early date in the history of this settlement and Mr and Mrs Hanson were among the very first settlers in this locality. The story of the help that this couple rendered the early settlers will, in all probability, never be told, but it is safe to say that they contributed largely to building up of this section of Lyon county and did much to help and encourage the early settlers.

Mrs Hanson was a faithful member of the Lutheran church and missed no opportunity to worship with that congregation, the Norwegian Lutheran, of this city. She was a woman who commanded the esteem and admiration of those who best knew her and there is no doubt she deserved all the regard and good will that she enjoyed.

Besides her husband she is survived by the following children: Hans R, Olaus R, John, Louis, Mrs David Flemming, Mrs Andrew Gigstad and Mrs Marvin Leland.

Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson, aged twenty-seven, son of the late Methusalem Johnson, of Limestone, Lincoln county, died last Tuesday [ December 5, 1916].

The circumstances surrounding this death are tragic in the extreme. The young man was called up by a neighbor,at about nine o'clock in the morning, and asked to come over. He went. At noon his sister and younger brother went over to get him. He was found dead on the floor of the house he had gone to. The legal authorities of Lincoln county were called and we understand that the coroner pronounced it a case of death from overdrinking, or alcohol suffocation. This drinkfest, and the tragedy resulting from it, took place at the home of John Poposki, a neighbor of the Johnsons.

Carl was a fine boy and a promising young man and his family is one of the leading pioneer families of Limestone township. He is survived by his mother, two brothers and two sisters. Relatives, friends and acquaintances alike join in expressing the sorrowing family their heartfelt sympathy in this hour of deep sorrow.

The funeral will be held from the Johnson home this, Friday, morning at 10:30. Rev E J Hinderlie will officiate.

My name is Becky Davidson and I am doing research on the Icelanders that settled in the Lyon-Lincoln counties area by going through old copies of the Minneota Mascot year by year and extracting news tidbits about them.. Along the way I am finding information that may help other researchers, so I am extracting obits and marriages to post to the GenWeb site.  I am also available to do look ups. I live near the Twin Cities and am a member of the Minnesota History Center, so have access to tons of material. I would like to see the two counties web sites become packed with good info for researchers.

--Becky Davidson, of Hammond, Wisconsin