Louis B Leland

Louis B Leland died about midnight Wednesday [January 17, 1917] night. He had been down with pneumonia for a few days. Mr Leland was born in Voss, Norway, Dec 11, 1847, and came to America when 18 months of age. He lived in Wisconsin until 1879 when he came to Lyon county and settled in the township of Nordland. On 1871 Mr Leland married Miss Martha Gilderhouse. Mr and Mrs Leland lived on a farm in Nordland for many years and later came to Minneota to make their home.

Mr Leland was a carpenter by trade and an excellent workman. He was upright in his dealings, pleasant in his intercourse with his neighbors, accommodating, helpful and generally well liked.

Beside the widow there survive Mr Leland the following children: Mrs N P Frederickson, Mrs Josephine Christianson, Marvin, Lillian, Beatrice, Maybell and Winfred, also three brothers, E B, Joe and Ole.

The funeral will be held from the Norwegian Lutheran church next Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev Hinderlie will officiate.

Aloisius George Van Overbeke

Aloisius George Van Overbeke, son of Mrs Elodie Marie Van Overbeke, widow of Alphonse Van Overbeke, died from pneumonia last Tuesday [[February 20, 1917] evening. He had been sick only six days. He was born June 11, 1906. He was a bright little boy and very promising in every respect and his sudden death is a great blow to his mother and other members of the family, to whom the sympathy of the community is freely extended. The funeral took place from the Catholic church Thursday morning, Father Stewart officiating.

Knute Erickson

Knute Erickson, son of Mr and Mrs Sever Erickson, of Vallers, died on the 16th of this month [February 16, 1917] in Kansas City, Mo., to which place he had gone to take a course at an automobile school.

The cause of death was pneumonia and the young man had been sick but a short time.

Knute Erickson has lived in this vicinity since he was a little boy and he had a host of friends here to whom his untimely death brings sorrow. He was a bright young man and he was fitting himself for a business career in which he would, no doubt, have succeeded, for he seemed to be equipped with those qualities that make for success.

Knute Erickson was only 19 years old but he had long since learned the lesson that it is work and application that counts and he had determined to make the most of the talents given him and his parents had justly built hopes on his future.

Mr and Mrs Sever Erickson have taken a prominent part in the social and municipal life of the community in which they live and the sorrow that his death brings into their home is shared by a large number of friends, and the sympathy of the community goes out to the grief-stricken parents.

The funeral was held from the St Lucas church on Thursday [February 22, 1917] of this week.

Mrs Fannie Kowalski

Mrs Fannie Kowalski, mother of Ray Stewart, with whom she was living in Minneota, left a short time ago for a short visit with friends in Waterloo, Ia, and while there she was taken sick and died. Mrs Stewart was called and went to Waterloo. The funeral took place Tuesday [February 20, 1917].

From a Waterloo paper we clip the following:

"Came to Waterloo two weeks ago to visit in the Edward Erdenberg home, 309 Lafayette street, Mrs Fannie Kowalski, of Minneota, MInn., took sick with intestinal trouble the day after she arrived and died yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock at St Francis hospital, following an operation, which afforded her no relief.

"Deceased was 44 years of age, being born in Indiana, Feb 22, 1872. Besides her husband, Frank, she is survived by two daughters, Mrs Ray Stewart, of Minneota, MInn., and Mrs Walter Babcock, of New Hampton, Ia., both of whom were at her bedside when she died. She also leaves one sister, Mrs Walter Buxton, of Clymer, N Y.

Mrs Kowalski was a member of the Ben Hur lodge at Mason City and the Yeoman lodge at New Hampton. The remains were taken to the undertaking parlors at Hileman & Gindt."

Louis F Traen

Louis Francis Traen died at his home in the village of Taunton Feb 17, 1917.

The deceased was born in West Flanders, Belgium, May 16th, 1827. He came to America in 1884. On coming to this country he settled in the vicinity of Ghent and lived there for two years. In 1889 he took up his residence in the township of Eidsvold, settling on a farm within one mile of the village of Taunton, where he has since made his home. He is survived by the following children: Henry Louis, Camille Joseph and Rosie Marie (Mrs Archie Coequyt).

Mr Traen is one of the pioneers of this locality and so has gone through numerous hardships incident to the life on the frontier. In the fall of 1887 fire destroyed the barn on the Traen farm, also hay, oats and corn. In the big snow storm of the following January Mr Traen lost 21 head of cattle, having only 1 calf left when the storm was over.

Mr Traen bought his first land in 1900. When he died he left 480 acres of land to be divided among is children. He suffered for a long time and during the whole of his illness he was attended, most attentively, by his children, also there is much credit due to his daughter-in-law, Josie, who most faithfully attend him.

The deceased was a fine man and all his neighbors say that they would not ask for a more honest and accommodating person to deal with. He was a devoted member of the Catholic church. Mr Traen will be long remembered by all those who had any dealing with him and whose privilege it was to make his acquaintance.

Mrs Seraphine Van Eno

Mrs Seraphine Van Eno, aged 78, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs Alphonse Van Dale, on March 22nd [1917]. The funeral was held last Saturday, from the local Catholic church, Father W J Stewart officiating. Mrs Van Eno was born in Belgium and came to America with her husband and family 17 years ago. They first settled in Michigan where they stayed for one year and then came on to Lyon county, Minnesota, and have lived here since. Mrs Van Eno is very highly spoken of by all who enjoyed her acquaintance. She was a faithful member of the Catholic church and a good woman in every sense of the word. She leaves a daughter and two sons.

Eston Rye

After putting up a strong fight against tuberculosis for two and one half years, Eston Rye finally gave up the struggle last Saturday [March 24, 1917]. He died at the home of his parents, Mr and Mrs Andrew Rye, of Nordland.

Eston was a bright boy. He spent most of his life on his father's farm and was both well and favorably known in the whole neighborhood. He attended the local school in his district and later came to Minneota where he finished the grades. He then went to Minneapolis and spent two years as a student at the agricultural school of the state university. Everywhere he was well liked and it was an easy matter for him to make friends. He was a kind, open-hearted, generous and as might be expected, coming from the home that he did and being a member of the family that he was, he was well instructed in the Christian doctrine and lived and died a consistent member of the Lutheran church.

Although his death was not unexpected it was nevertheless a great blow to his friends and relatives. Eston was such a promising young man that it seemed that it was impossible to think of his having to go so soon - just in the morning of his manhood. That the sympathy of the community goes out to the father and mother and the other relatives is but stating a fact that everyone knows and feels.

Eston Rye was born Dec 1, 1891, in the township of Nordland. As before stated he spent the most of his life on the farm with his father. After it was discovered that he had tuberculosis every effort was made to save him. He was finally taken to the state institution at Walker, Minn., last fall, October 18. He remained there but about four months, when he returned home. When he went to Walker he had already had the disease too long to be in condition to be cured.

The funeral was held from the Norwegian Lutheran church last Wednesday and was attended by one of the largest gatherings of people that have been seen here on similar occasions. Rev Hinderlie conducted the service and spoke in both the Norwegian and English languages. The pastor's tribute to the young man and his Christian character was both touching and eloquent.

Jens B Johnson

Jens B Johnson, of Nordland, died at the Luther hospital in Watertown last Friday [March 30, 1917]. He had been at the hospital for about three weeks, and had been in rapidly failing health for about three months. He was 77 years of age.

Jens B Johnson has lived for about 44 years on a farm about a mile out of Minneota. He came here in 1873 and so was one of the earliest settlers in this neighborhood. For kindness and hospitality there was not another home in this settlement, in those early days, that surpassed the home of Mr and Mrs Johnson.

To this day there are people here who speak of the help that this couple extended to the "newcomers" and how they gave of their little store, shared their supply of food and shelter, with the poor and homeless pioneers. Mr Johnson himself came here a poor man. But he was a good manager and a capable farmer and he became, financially speaking, as the years went by, one of the most substantial farmers in this locality.

Mr Johnson was by all the residents in this locality held in the highest regard. He was a man of sturdy character, a man whose word was never questioned and who always lived up to his promises and professions. He was quiet and unassuming and whatever he did was done without any blare of trumpets. He had a kindly, pleasing manner that won for him friends everywhere. Mr Johnson was one of the big men of the pioneer period of this locality and his influence was felt throughout the whole community. He was one of those who laid the foundation of this settlement and he labored here long and faithfully. This community may owe as much to some of the other early settlers, as it does to Mr Johnson but it is safe to say that it owes no more to any other man.

He has been one of the leading workers in the local Norwegian Lutheran church and has been to that organization a most faithful and valuable member.

Mr Johnson's funeral took place from the aforesaid church last Monday and the pastor, Rev E J Hinderlie, paid high tribute to the Christian worth of this man who had been one of the organizers of the congregation and who has for all these years been an active supporter of all the work of the congregation.

The following brief sketch gives more detail the principal events in the life of this worthy man:

Jens B Johnson was born in Thilemarken, Norway, February 14, 1840. His parents, Jens and Engebor (Jacobson) Johnson, were farmers. He attended school until 15 years of age and was then obliged to shift for himself, his parents having died. Until he was 21 years old he worked out at different jobs, and then in 1861 he came to America.

The first home in the New World was the city of Chicago, where he resided a short time with a sister. In Rock county, Wisconsin, Mr Johnson worked at farm labor until 1871; then he rented land in Goodhue county, Minnesota, and farmed two years. The year of Mr Johnson's arrival in Lyon county was 1873. He took as a pre-emption claim the northwest quarter of section 2, Nordland township. On that place he has ever since made his home.

Mr Johnson served a four-year term as a member of the Board of County Commissioners, has been chairman of the Nordland Township Board of Supervisors, and treasurer of school district No. 71. He was a member of the Norwegian Lutheran church.

Jens B Johnson married Annie Kittleson in Rock county, Wisconsin, in July, 1864. She was born in Nommedal, Norway, December 26, 1839. Her parents, Kittle and Beret (Helleckson) Gundvoldson, died in the old country. To Mr and Mrs Johnson have been born the following named seven children: John, Gilbert, Betsey, Mary, Sina, Annie and Engebor, all of whom, with their mother, survive Mr Johnson, with the exception of the last two named.

Carl S G Snidal

Carl S G Snidal died at the Sanitarium at Walker, Minn., last Saturday, April 21 [1917]. He had been suffering from tuberculosis for some time and had been at the sanitarium for several weeks.

The deceased was a son of Mr and Mrs John Snidal and was a native of Westerheim. He was only 22 years of age and was a promising young man and his death at this early age is a matter of much regret to the friends of the family and the many personal friends and acquaintances of the deceased. Carl was a pleasing young fellow and he made friends very easily and he had a large number of associates who thought very much of him. His untimely death is but one more of the daily warnings of the uncertainty of this life, and the many friends of the Snidal family in this locality express to the relatives their heartfelt sympathy. The community has lost a very promising young man and the family has lost one upon whose career there had been much hope built. Carl was a fine young boy and it is with much sympathy and deep concern that the people of this locality hear of his death.

The funeral was held from the Icelandic Lutheran church in Westerheim on Thursday of this week, Rev E J Hinderlie officiating.

Mrs Emma Groff

Mrs Emma Groff, wife of Alfred S Groff, died at the Luther hospital in Watertown, Saturday, April 21st [1917]. The cause of death was appendicitis. Mrs Groff was examined some time ago by the physicians at this hospital and her ailment was pronounced appendicitis but it was claimed that she was too weak to undergo an operation at that time and so she was sent home. She was at home for two or three weeks and seemed to be feeling well. On Tuesday of last week she went back to Watertown with the intention of being operated on. About noon Tuesday she was down town doing some shopping when she was taken with a severe attack. She was brought to the hospital and at eight o'clock Tuesday evening she was operated on and it was found that the appendix had already broken. From that time on she suffered a great deal and at 10 o'clock Saturday night she passed away.

Mrs Groff was born at Frederick, S D, April 2, 1885. Her maiden name was Emma Jacobson. Her family moved to Madison, Minn., when she was a child and it was there that she was brought up. On Sept 27, 1910, she was married to Albert Groff, of Minneota, and has made her home here since.

Seldom has it fallen to our lot to record a death where the element of sadness has been more predominant than in this case. A young wife, only 32 years of age, taken away from a loving husband and two little boys! In the prime of womanhood, in the prime of usefulness, in the prime of an active life, this young woman is taken away! When the news of her death was received the whole community was stirred; there was no one knew her but was moved at the news of her death. Mrs Groff had made friends of all our people, there was not a person but liked her, admired her, and would go out of their way to please her.

She was cheerful, kind, and always willing to take her parting anything that was for the promotion of the best interests of the community, or individuals within the community.

She was a bright woman and took an intelligent view of things and her associates always found it an easy matter to enlist her services in behalf of any cause that had in it the elements of charity and kindness.

In her death the loss that has been sustained by her husband and two little boys can not be estimated, but as far as the community is concerned it has lost one who was always willing to do her utmost for any cause or any individual where the public good or individual merit made a call for service.

Mrs Groff was a true, good noble woman and it is with the utmost sympathy possible that this community joins with the husband and relatives in mourning her loss.

Besides the husband and two little boys, the deceased leaves six sisters and five brothers.

The funeral took place at Madison, Minn., from the Hauge's Lutheran church, Rev J M Wick, officiating, last Wednesday and was attended by a large number.

Mrs Marit T Johnson

Mrs Marit T Johnson died at the home of her daughter, Mrs E B Leland, last Monday [April 23, 1917] evening. She was 85 years of age.

The deceased was born in North Aurdal, Valdres, Norway, July 23, 1832. Her parents were Mr and Mrs Thor Gausager. In 1852 she was married to Thideman Johnson.

Mr and Mrs Johnson came to America in 1866 and for a while lived in Wisconsin and then moved to New Ulm, where they resided several years. In the year 1871 they again changed their residence and this time came to Lyon county, settling on a farm in Nordland.

In 1887 Mr Johnson was killed in an accident and the management of the farm fell upon the widow. Although the circumstances were difficult beyond description Mrs Johnson showed herself equal to the occasion. She took over management of the farm and with her children worked early and late and managed the affairs of the estate so well and with such skill and efficiency that, as the years went by, she paid off the debts and even bought more land. She lived on that farm until about eighteen years ago when she came to live with Mr and Mrs Leland. Of late years she has been dividing her time between toe homes of her two daughters, staying part of the time with Mr and Mrs J C Larson.

Thirteen children were born to Mr and Mrs Johnson, of whom but four survive their mother. They are Mrs Anna Leland, Mrs Inger Larson, Olaf Johnson and John T Johnson.

Mrs Johnson was well liked and all her neighbors thought very highly of her. She was a woman who went through a great deal of hardships and met every difficulty with a determination to overcome it. There were no "flowery beds of ease" for her and the success that her efforts brought were richly deserved. Well may her children look with gratitude and pride upon the career of this noble parent, who gave to the utmost the full service of a long life in the struggle with poverty and the hardships of the pioneer days.

The funeral of Mrs Johnson will take place from the Norwegian church Friday , April 27, at 2 p m. Rev E J Hinderlie will conduct the services and the following will be pall bearers: N Myhre, P J Hanson, Ole Skogen, M Furgeson, H R Hanson and G Amundson.

Mrs Mary Ellen Dale

Mrs Mary Ellen Dale died at the hospital in Rochester, Minn., last Wednesday [May 2, 1917] following an operation for an umbilical hernia. She had been at the hospital for only five days but had been suffering from this trouble for some time.

Mrs Dale was a daughter of William N Luce and his wife, Nancy A Proper. She was born near Oil City, Pa., Dec 7th, 1865. June 11th, 1882 she was married to A C Dale. Shortly after their marriage Mr and Mrs Dale came to Minnesota and 22 years ago became residents of Minneota and have lived here since.

Mrs Dale has been prominent in the social and church work of this community since she came here. She was a woman of character and force and all those who knew her and were associated with her, always spoke of her in the highest terms. She was of a cheerful disposition and seemed to have a kind word for everybody. She was always ready to do any act of kindness within her power and appeared to be the most happy when she was helping some neighbor or in some way extending sympathy to those in need or trouble.

To testify to her superior qualities as wife and mother she leaves a husband and seven children. It would be impossible for any woman to devote herself to her husband and children with more loyalty and zeal than did Mrs Dale. Literally she spent her life in the service of her loved ones. And these children and the husband have been kind to her. They have done for her all that they could do and this unexpected departure fills them and the whole community with grief.

Mrs A C Dale was a woman of strong character and always had the courage of her convictions. The community has lost, by her death, a most worthy member and the Dale home has been robbed of the leadership of one who was not only capable and efficient but who was also always trying to do the very best she knew how for her loved ones.

Besides the husband, two brothers and one sister, the deceased is survived by the following children: Maud T, William N, Anna, Harriet, Hazel, Earl C and Norma.

The funeral will be held at Lake Wilson next Monday and Rev W J Bell, of Pipestone, will conduct the ceremony.

Mrs Sigurbjorg Peterson

Mrs Sigurbjorg Peterson died at the home of her son, George Benson, May 17 [1917] and her funeral took place from the Icelandic Lutheran church last Tuesday afternoon, Rev E J Hinderlie officiating.

The deceased was twice married, her second husband being the late Sigfinnur Peterson, a well-known pioneer of this locality, who died about a year ago.

Mrs Peterson was 74 years at the time of her death, being born in Iceland May 7, 1843. She was married to Mr Peterson in 1874 and with him came to America in 1878. For a few months, after coming here they lived in the township of Westerheim, Lyon county, but in the spring of 1879 Mr Peterson took a homestead in Lake Stay, Lincoln county and the family went there to live that same spring. They lived on this homestead until the year 1899 when they moved to Minneota where both remained until the time of their death.

Mrs Peterson is survived by five sons, Hall and George Benson, from her first marriage and Frank, Joseph and Sigurd, from her second marriage, also one stepson, Ole S Peterson, and one adopted daughter, Bertha Peterson (Armstrong). There are also a number of children whom she has brought up and been a mother to. Among them may be mentioned Mrs Chas Adler, of Marshall, and Herman Nelson. We understand that besides her own children she has brought up nine others.

The home of the Petersons was a place where the homeless, the friendless and the helpless were always welcome. As far as we know their record for faithfulness, in the matter of furnishing home, care and food to children who were in need is not surpassed by that of any other couple in this locality.

No words of praise that we can add will speak as eloquently as the mere statement just made, about the great mother-heart of this noble woman. To have assisted and mothered nine children besides one's own is to have done good and noble work. Mr and Mrs Peterson never had any abundance of money. On the contrary they were poor. But they were never too poor, it seems, to add another needy child to the family circle. Mrs Peterson was kindness personified and her heart went out to all who came within her circle of acquaintance. Hospitality was second nature with her and the friend or stranger who approached her door always found a hearty welcome.

Through all the hardships and the sufferings of the pioneer period Mrs Peterson Continued the cheerful, efficient and encouraging helpmeet that kept her husband and household content to endure, inspired to hope and satisfied to wait. She was a woman of great faith - faith in the directing care of Providence and faith in the ability of the individual.

We have said that Mrs Peterson was kind, and that is true, but she was also more than that for she was firm, strong and kept her boys in constant remembrance of the fact that there are duties to perform in this life that can not be delegated, and that each and every individual must work out his own salvation, both in this life and for the life to come.

Mrs Peterson has richly deserved the many kind things that have been said about her by her friends and we know that we voice the sentiments of all those who knew her when we say that this community has lost one of its best friends and most honored citizens in the death of this good, kind, loving Mother Peterson.

Orvin Leslie Melby

Orvin Leslie Melby, son of Mr and Mrs C K Melby, was struck by lightning last Friday [May 18. 1917], while planting corn, and instantly killed.

This is the statement that shocked this village last Friday afternoon. Orvin Melby was a member of the senior class of the local high school but was this spring excused from further attendance in order that he might help on the farm.

As the people of this community will remember, there was a light thunder shower last Friday afternoon and it was at the time that this was passing over this locality that the tragic death, above referred to, occurred. It seems that the death message was communicated by a direct bolt and not through the check wire as has been the case in many other deaths under the same circumstances. The body of this young man was very much burned and his clothing was practically burned off.

One of the horses was also killed and it was the fact that the team was standing still, in the field, that first attracted the attention at the Melby home. C K Melby, the boy's father, was the first one to get to the scene of the accident and it can be better imagined than described how he felt when he found his boy in the condition indicated.

These things baffle human understanding. We know not why such things should be. This boy was a bright, capable young man. He had almost finished his course at the local high school. He was about to step out in to life and begin to make his own way. He was a kind, considerate son and brother and his family had built glowing hopes upon his future. He had so many of the qualities that make for good citizenship and he was a faithful member of the church of his parents. There was every reason to believe that he would develop into a capable and useful member of the community. But in the twinkling of an eye all is swept away. In less time than it takes to write this sentence this young life is taken. Before one has any chance to realize the danger, it is over. We poor, finite beings can not understand the reason for all this. It is impossible for us to make things of this kind square with our ideas of mercy, kindness and love. But back of it all we know there is a just, all-wise and all-merciful father who directs things for the best. If it were not for this knowledge it would be impossible for us to bear these terrible burdens. We do not understand why these things are for the best, but we know that they are - else God could not be a God of love.

Orvin Melby was born April 1, 1899, on the family farm in the township of Nordland. He came to Minneota with his parents when but a child. He has attended the public school here and was a member of this year's senior class in the high school. He was a boy well liked and as stated before he seemed to have before him the brightest of careers.

It is but to repeat as idle common-place to say that the sympathy of the community goes out to Mr and Mrs C K Melby. It is true to the very utmost that their sorrow is shared by all. The community was shocked as it has seldom been shocked before when the news came that young Orvin had met the fate that he had.

The funeral was held from the Norwegian Lutheran church on Monday afternoon and the audience that gathered has seldom if ever been larger than on this occasion. Rev E J Hinderlie conducted the services. His sermon was a studied attempt not to play upon the feelings of the congregation. It was plain that the feeling was so strong that any attempt to picture the sad and tragic elements of the occasion would have brought on a heart-rendering demonstration of grief. The pastor most wisely avoided any reference that would add to the grief and sadness that was felt on every hand.

Martin Langan

Martin Langan died at his home in Westerheim on May 16 [1917]. He was 93 years of age. Until a short time before his death he had been in the best of health always.

The funeral was held from the local Catholic church last Saturday, Father W J Stewart officiating, assisted by Father Van Wallegham, of Ghent, and Father Carlin, of Marshall.

Martin Langan was born in Ireland in 1824. He came to America in 1847. He settled in new York and worked as a day laborer for some time and later became a contractor. He was the oldest of a large family and was the first of the household to come to America. For many years after coming here he worked and saved his earnings and sent them back to Ireland to his mother and finally he was able to get the whole family over to America. His devotion to the family, and the manner in which he denied himself even the comforts of life, while he was saving up to pay the passage of the mother and the other children to the New World, shows better than anything else the loyalty and true worth of the man.

In 1859 Martin Langan was married but his wife only lived two or three years. One child was born to them which died in infancy.

Martin Langan came to Minnesota in 1881 and since that time lived with his brother, Patrick, on the farm that for all these years has been known as the Langan farm in Westerheim.

To his brother's family and to a large circle of friends he has been "Uncle Martin" for all these years. A kinder, more considerate, more upright, or more loyal man than Martin Langan it would be difficult to find. He was always cheerful, always ready to have a good time and never was found wanting when it comes to the characteristic wit and humor of his race. Uncle Martin always had a kind word, a genial smile and a pleasant remark for all.

During the 70 years that Martin Langan lived in America he always took an active part in all those things that go to make up good citizenship. He allowed nothing to keep him away from the polls or any other place where he could discharge the duties of citizenship. He voted for every president since Franklin Pierce. He was a strong supporter of the public schools and one of his last acts, in a public way, was to attend, several months ago, a school meeting in his district in which he took an active part.

He was a member of St Edward's Catholic church and was one of the first trustees of that church. He was strong in his faith and no matter how the weather was or what hindrances there might be, he never allowed anything to keep him at home when there was public worship in his church. He lived a good, clean, Christian life and because of his regular habits enjoyed to the last the very best of health. He was always a hard working man and he knew no other life than one filled with hard, honest toil.

The funeral was attended by friends and neighbors of all creeds and nationalities and pall bearers were: P P Ahern, H J TIllemans' John Finnegan, James McGinn, L McDonald and John Kiley.

Mrs Paul Sigurdson

Mrs Paul Sigurdson died Monday [May 28, 1917] night from epileptic seizure. She had, on several occasions, been subject to seizures of this kind but that her condition was as dangerous as proved to be the case was not anticipated by her people.

The deceased was only 29 years of age and was born in the township of Nordland. She was a daughter of Mr and Mrs Sam Halvorson who are among the early settlers of the township of Nordland.

In June, 1912 she was married to Paul Sigurdson, son of Mr and Mrs Einar Sigurdson, also of Nordland.

Two children survive Mrs Sigurdson, one two years old and the other four years old.

The sudden and untimely death of this good woman is a great shock to her many friends and relatives. She was well thought of by all her friends and neighbors and she had proven herself a worthy wife and most loyal and loving mother. The husband and two little children have in the demise of this woman sustained a loss that nothing can compensate for and the sympathy of the whole community goes out to them and the other relatives.

Mrs Sigurdson was a woman who made friends and deserved them. She was kind-hearted and helpful and did all in her power to make those who came in contact with her happy and comfortable. The sudden taking away of those in their youth and prime is always sad. But when it happens to be the mother of little children the element of sadness is doubly realized.

The funeral of Mrs Sigurdson was held from Hemnes church on Thursday afternoon of this week, Rev Christianson officiating.

Pjetur Pjeturson

Pjetur Pjeturson died at the Hofteig home in the township of Westerheim last Tuesday [May 30, 1917] morning. He had been sick since last October.

The funeral will be held this (Friday) afternoon, at 2 o'clock from the Icelandic church in Westerheim, Rev E J Hinderlie will officiate.

Mr Pjeturson was 81 years of age, being born in Iceland Feb 21, 1836. He left his native country when quite young and spent a number of years in Copenhagen, Denmark. In 1873 he came to America and for two years made his home in Wisconsin. In 1875 he joined Gunnlaugur Peterson and family and with that well known pioneer struck out for Minnesota, making the trip by ox-team. They arrived here on the Fourth of July 1875 and were thus the first people of Icelandic birth to settle in the state of Minnesota. Gunnlaugur Peterson settled on a claim which in later years has been known as the Riverside farm, while Pjetur Pjeturson took a claim joining this on the south. The latter sold his land to Gudmund Henry a short time afterwards and from that on worked out as a farm laborer.

Mr Pjeturson was never married. He was of a very quiet disposition and if there ever was a man who did not meddle with the affairs of others he was that man. He was a well informed man and a great reader. He took a keen interest in poetry. He never forced his ideas or opinions upon others and so what he thought and what he liked, only his ost intimate associates knew. He was generally known as "Pjetur Farmari" or "Peter the Farmer," among his countrymen, although the reason for this name is not apparent.

He was a man of great energy. His walking feats, in the pioneer days are to this day told of by the early settlers. He was always busy, always working. He was faithful in the execution of that which he undertook, to the very minutest detail. Assign him a task and it would not be necessary to look after it any more, he would perform as instructed in prompt and intelligent manner.

He had no home of his own, and so made his home wherever he chanced to be working. For the last forty years he was with the Hofteigs, where he died.

He seemed to enjoy life in his own quiet way and never complained about his lot. He demonstrated that in this matter of living there is a vast difference between what we need and what we want. He lived the simple life, and was satisfied with his situation and for all that could be seen enjoyed life quite as much as those who were more in the eyes of the world.

It seemed that Pjetur Pjeturson learned, early in life, that most important of all the lessons of the philosophers, namely that the wants of man are in proportion to his desires and that peace and contentment depend upon the within, not the without, of man.

Miss Emerence Claeys

Miss Emerence Claeys, a daughter of B F Claeys, died at the home of her parents last Sunday [May 27, 1917].

Miss Claeys had been suffering from tuberculosis for about a year. Everything was done for her that could be done, in a medical way. She was sent to the Walker sanitarium last fall and remained there until last February when she returned home. It was quite evident at that time that the end was approaching and when she passed away last Sunday the relatives were not unprepared for the coming of the end.

But if they were not without warning of the approaching death it may with equal certainty be said that the young lady was looking for it - even looking forward to it. She was reconciled to go. Her faith in the Hereafter and her anticipation of finding the life to come the blessing and the glory that she had been taught to believe, made her look forward with unfaltering trust, supreme hope and keen anticipation to a time when she might enter the presence of the Redeemer and the saints. Her whole life was devoted to the service of her home, family, church and such persons as she could lend a helping hand to.

A more kind and devoted daughter than was this young ladt it would be difficult to find. She was devoted to her parents, her family and her friends, in a manner that endeared her exceptionally to all. Her death has been a great shock to the family and the sympathy of the whole community goes out to the grief-stricken relatives.

Miss Emerence Claeys was born Oct 20, 1896 and so was not yet 21 years of age. Her untimely death removes one who gave every evidence of a bright and useful career and it is with concern and regret that the many friends of the young lady and her relatives learn of her demise.

The funeral was held from the Catholic church in Ghent last Tuesday. Father Van Wallegham officiated and was assisted by Father Schaefer and Father Stewart. The last named preached the funeral sermon.

Mrs Josefa Ledell

Mrs Josefa Ledell died at the home of her son, Gustav Ledell, last Saturday [June 2, 1917]. The deceased was 74 years of age. She had been in poor health for many months.

Mrs Ledell was a native of Norway and was born Oct 27. 1843. She was married to Ole Ledell and they came, in 1866, to America and settled in Wisconsin. They lived there for four years and then they moved to Iowa where three years were spent, after which they came to Minnesota and settled, in 1873, on a homestead in the township of Nordland, Lyon county. Ole Ledell died five years ago.

Mrs Josefa Ledell was a woman if strong character and was by nature well endowed for the pioneer life. She possessed the sturdy qualities that made our generation of pioneers the pillar of strength that it was in dealing with the difficulties of the days when neighbors were few and the elements uncompromising. She was a faithful member of the Lutheran church and was affiliated with the Norwegian congregation of this city. There are many friends who will remember this woman's kindness and there are six children who will never forget the love and care of one who was to them most dear.

The following are the surviving children: Gustav, Mrs H R Hanson; Nellie, Adolph, Mrs C N Bang and Mrs Gus Peterson.

The funeral took place from the Norwegian Lutheran church last Tuesday afternoon, Rev Hinderlie officiating.

John Ross

John Ross, of Taunton, died last Tuesday [June 19, 1917] at the hospital at Marshall. The cause of his death was injuries he received last Thursday, when, as the result of a race, or an attempt to pass another car, his car was turned over and he received internal injuries that were beyond the skill of medical science to cope with. He was taken to the hospital immediately. John Ross has lived in Taunton for many years and has been well thought of and has proven himself a good citizen and a good neighbor. He has always had a reputation for fast driving and never liked to be passed on the road. The accident was a most unfortunate one as the deceased leaves a wife and six children. The funeral took place from the Catholic church at Taunton yesterday morning.

Mrs Emma Kompelien

Mrs Emma Kompelien, wife of Thorvald Kompelien, died at the hospital in Canby yesterday morning, July 5th [1917], the cause of death being diabetes. Mrs Kompelien had been suffering for some time although she had but recently gone to the hospital.

The deceased was a daughter of the late Berger Johnson, of Limestone, Lincoln county, and is survived by her mother and five brothers and three sisters, also her husband and a son two years of age.

Mrs Kompelien was born in the township of Limestone, Lincoln county, Feb 28, 1888. She was married to Thorvald Kompelien in February 1914. They have lived on a farm north of Minneota since.

Mrs Kompelien was a woman of many good qualities and her friends and acquaintances always spoke very highly of her. Her untimely death is a matter of regret to all and the sympathy of the community goes out to the husband and the son who are thus early deprived of the cheering companionship of this worthy wife and mother.

The funeral will be held next Sunday afternoon, from the house at 1:30 and from St Lucas church at 3:30.

Mrs Gudrun Bjornson

Mrs Gudrun Bjornson, wife of E Bjornson, of Westerheim, died at her home last Friday morning, July 6th [1917]. She was sixty-four years of age and had been in poor health for the last three years and had been confined to her bed for many months preceding her death.

Mrs Gudrun Bjornson was born in Iceland July 20, 1853. She was married to Eyjolfur Bjornson in 1877, and with him came to America in 1880. She is survived by her husband and one son, Adalbjorn.

The funeral was held from the residence at 1 o'clock last Monday, the funeral procession going from there to the Icelandic church in Westerheim where the services were held. Rev B B Jonsson, of Winnipeg, conducted the service and was assisted by Rev S Olafson, of Blaine Wash. Rev Jonsson preached the funeral sermon. He had been Mrs Bjornson's pastor for twenty years and the tribute that he paid to the character of the deceased was both touching and beautiful. His affectionate commendation of the life and work of this woman struck a responsive chord on the hearts of the several hundred friends and neighbors present, who so well knew the truth and appropriateness of what was said.

The life-story of this woman is uneventful. It was hers to walk the common path of the common people. Her lot was on the level with the toilers and she knew what it was to labor and be heavy laden with the burdens of the daily task. For thirty seven years Mr and Mrs Bjornson have lived in the farm in Westerheim, where they settled, on coming from the old country in 1880. Like all of the early settlers they went through the privations, the difficulties and the hardships of those early days, and like so many others they weathered the storm and some time ago arrived at a state of comfort and ease, as far as financial matters are concerned. A beautiful modern home, probably the best in the township, years ago replaced the simple habitation of the earlier period and Mr and Mrs Bjornson have for many years enjoyed comfort.

In the limited space of a newspaper article it is not possible to say all that one would like to say about a woman like Mrs Gudrun Bjornson, the mere mention of a few things must suffice. In this woman the desire to be of service, the wish to help, was a dominant characteristic. Her heart seemed to be attuned to any suffering or need that came within, or touched, the circle of her experience. If it was possible for her to do so, she wanted to help, and she generally found a way. Like all noble characters she was opposed to all forms of publicity in the matter of any act of kindness that she performed. But many are those who have had occasion to feel grateful to this woman for material assistance, and for that which is even of greater importance, the sympathetic heartbeat of a sister-soul.

The main highway of the community, a highway that has borne the traffic of a large territory since the early days, runs right by the door of the Bjornson home. Many a footsore traveler upon this dusty highway has halted at this home and partaken of the refreshing hospitality that has ever been the portion of those who have sought its shelter. Mr and Mrs Bjornson have always kept an open house and friends and strangers have been alike welcome.

In disposition Mrs Bjornson was cheerful and happy, but her manner was quiet. She was a woman of great firmness and strength of character, but she stated her opinions and took her stand without harshness and with the evident desire to hurt as little as possible the feelings of those who were contrary minded. She was a member of the Lutheran church and lived and died a faithful Christian. In home, in community, in church she was an ideal woman and her memory will long be kept green in the hearts of the many friends, who knew, understood and loved her.

The pall bearers were: S M S Askdal, John Williamson, P P Jokull, G A Dalmann, A Johnson, Vigfus Anderson.

H P Johnson

H P Johnson died at his home one mile west of Badger, Minn., on the morning of July 4th [1917]. The cause of death was cancer of the stomach. Mr Johnson had been in poor health for about one year and the last month of his life was bedridden.

Mr Johnson was for nearly forty years a resident of this locality living on a farm near Taunton.

The deceased was born in Norway, his native town being Skien, in Nedre Thelemarken, on September 3rd, 1849. He came to America in 1867 and for five years made his home in Boone county, Iowa. In 1872 he left Iowa and came to Minnesota and homesteaded a quarter near Minneota. On this farm he lived until 1911 when he moved with his family to Roseau county, Minnesota, settling near Badger.

On Nov 1, 1875, he married Miss Jennie Anderson, of Lake Benton. Besides the widow there are nine children who survive him. They are: Mrs F J Kruger, Arco, Mrs C J Ningen, of Taunton, John P, Hanry A, Nels C, Mrs Walter Reed, and Miss Lyla, all of Badger, Mrs William Reed, of Crookston, and A C Johnson, of Emerson, Man.

Mr Johnson was well known in Minneota having farmed here for two score years. He was a hard-working, pioneer settler and did service in helping to lay the foundation of the community. When he left here in 1911, and went to Roseau, to begin the work of pioneering, he took with him the best wishes of many friends - people who had stood shoulder to shoulder with him in the struggles back in the seventies and the eighties, for Mr Johnson had, that which is the most valuable asset that any man can have - the good opinion of his neighbors.

The remains were brought from Badger to Minneota and arrived here last Friday evening. The funeral was held last Saturday from the Norwegian Lutheran church, Rev E J Hinderlie officiating.

The relatives who accompanied the remains were: Mrs H P Johnson and J P Johnson, both of Badger, and A C Johnson, of Emerson, Man.

Miss Ragnhild Rye

Miss Ragnhild Emelia Rye died at the home of her parents, Mr and Mrs Andrew Rye, of Nordland, Thursday, July 12 [1917], at two o'clock in the afternoon. The deceased was nearly sixteen years of age and had been suffering from tuberculosis for some time.

The funeral was held from the Norwegian Lutheran church in Minneota last Saturday and was conducted by Rev E J Hinderlie, assisted by Rev Storaasli, of Clarkfield. The former spoke in Norwegian and the latter in English. A large number of people attended the service.

This is the second time within a few months that death comes to visit this home. It is only about three months ago that Mr and Mrs Rye lost a very promising son from the same disease, and this second visitation of the Grim Reaper seems to be laying the burdens of sorrow unusually heavy upon this worthy family. The boy was just entering upon the period of young manhood and the girl stood on the threshold of young womanhood. They were both excellent young people and dearly beloved by all their relatives.

Young Ragnhild was especially promising. She was a good genial and cheerful girl and she enjoyed life and was most happy in her surroundings. That death should have for her a fatal message is one of those things which quite surpass the understanding of man. There seemed to be so many things for which she was fitted and which she could have done, had she been spared, that her untimely death must be felt as a blow, in not the home alone but in the community as well.

Ragnhild Emelia Rye was born on the Rye farm in Nordland August 3, 1901. She had been at home practically all her life, having just finished the common school of the district. After her sickness developed she went to Walker, Minn, where she entered the state institution for consumptives. But it seems the disease had such a hold on her that nothing could be done to save her.

The following out of town people, relatives of the Rye family, attended the funeral: Rev and Mrs Storaasli, and Miss Julia Ristvedt, of Clarkfield; Mrs Ustrud and daughters, Idella and Florence, and Mr and Mrs Elmen Ristvedt, Wallace, S D; Mr and Mrs A Rukstad, Mr and Mrs A Ristvedt, H Ristvedt and Andrew Rear, all of Florence, S D.

A T Muhl

A sturdy pioneer and a respected citizen passed to his reward on Thursday of last week [August 2, 1917] when August T Muhl, after an illness of one day, breathed his last in the hospital at Marshall following as operation. The cause of death being strangulated hernia. Deceased was born in Tromso, Norway, August 12, 1838. He came to America in 1850, and for 13 years lived in Muskegon, Mich. During his residence there he married Miss Anna Olsdatter Kaas. They moved to Story county, Opwa, in 1863 and eleven years later came to Lyon county, Minnesota, settling on a homestead in the township of Island Lake. From there they moved to Minneota in 1900, where they enjoyed the fruits of the industry and thrift which marked their career and guided them to victory through the trying struggles of pioneer life. In May, 1915, Mrs Muhl passed to her long rest, leaving her life's companion to their children which were ten in number, but of whom only two are now living they are, Mrs H P Hanson, of Minneota and Edward Muhl, of Ghent.

The funeral service, conducted by O L Christensen, of Hendricks, was held Sunday, August 5th, from Hemnes Luth church of which the Muhl family had been active and faithful members.

The pallbearers were John Larson, Emil Wahlstrom, L S Teigland, T Heggeseth, John Enga and Ole Myrvik.

Out of town people present at the obsequies were: Mrs Sarah Patchett and four children, of Oskaloosa, Iowa; Mr and Mrs August Hanson, of Clearbrook, Mr and Mrs J Nelson, of Hendricks, and Mr and Mrs Fred Weiwitzer, of Ferndale, Wash.

Thorbergur Gudbrandson

Thorbergur Gudbrandson died last Saturday [September 29, 1917] after four days of sickness. Pneumonia was the cause of death. He did not suffer much at any time during his short illness and death came to him very gently and he passed away as one falling asleep.

He was 71 years of age, being born in Iceland October 12, 1846. He came to America in 1877, has lived in Minneota and vicinity since and never married. He has lived in Minneota for nearly 30 years.

Everybody, young and old, knew him and to all he was "Beggi." We dare say that not half of those who met him and greeted him every day knew that he had any other name. He was neither eccentric, peculiar nor odd. He was just a quiet man who had been old since he was young. Not an enemy did he have in the world, that we knew of - and we knew him probably better than did anyone else. It may also be said that his intimate friends were not many; but this we believe, that, in the hearts of all who knew this old man there was that going out of a feeling of good will which, if it can not be elevated to the position of friendship, nevertheless constitutes that foundation without which there is no true friendship. Everybody liked "Old Man Beggi."

He was not much on society. He did not cultivate its ways nor bother about its conventions. He wore clothes because he found it was necessary to do so - not for any improvement that they might make in his looks, and most of the time his clothes were of a style and assortment against which the sin of vanity could not be charged. He never attended any public gatherings, except an occasional trip to church. He could not have told you what theology meant but he could have told you how to treat your dog. He could not have given you no help in the matter of deciding what cut of frock to wear at a pink tea, but he could have given you a few pointers on being faithful to your trust. He could not have told you anything about the causes that brought on the European was but he could have given the German Kaiser a few lessons in decency. His education was limited, and his knowledge of world politics would not have qualified him for a diplomat; but when it came to the so-called everyday virtues he was well qualified to speak. In other words, when it came to the things that greed, ambition and vanity of man place as among the highest and most desirable, old Beggi was not well versed, but it is safe to say that "he had a middlin' tight grip, sir, on the handful o' things that he knew."

He had two outstanding qualities and these were faithfulness and honesty.

His faithfulness was of the primitive kind - the kind that will stake all and, if need be, lose all in the performance of a duty. To the utmost of his ability you could depend on upon him performing in the service of an accepted task or obligation. Were the task to sweep a floor or build a fire you could depend upon it that it would be performed on the minute and with the most painstaking detail. A shirker and a slaker were to him an abomination. And when it came to honesty we know that it is the current opinion of this community that there never was a man more honest residing among us. In the words of the poet it may be said of him: "He never flunked and he never lied - I reckon he never knowed how."

For many years he was a caretaker in saloons here, but although he would get down and sweep out at almost any time after one o'clock in the morning no one ever gained admittance to anu grag-shop that he had the key to until after the legal opening hour. With him law was duty. He liked his "nip" but he was not sparing in his denunciation of the abuse of the use of liquor. A bloated booze-fighter was to him no better than a warped and dried up prohibitionist.

And so he lived his life, never bothering anyone, never abusing anyone, being pleasant to all, being kind to all and enjoying the good-will of all. He was uncultured but instinctively polite; he was uneducated but by nature endowed with that which decades of education cannot bring; he had no wife and children, but he received and returned the love of several dogs.

The above is but a brief appreciation of a character that the like of which we never again expect to know, and we feel that in closing it we may take the liberty of taking a few liberties with a stanza written, about another character, by the Honorable John Hay, America's most refined and cultured Secretary of State. The stanza, which we have changed a little to suit the purpose, is this, and we want it to express out sentiments about this departed friend:

He weren't no saint but at judgment I'd run my chances with him,

Longside some pious gentleman that wouldn't shook hands with 'em.

He seen his duty - a dead sure thing -

And stood for it - and stood pat-

And Christ ain't a-goin' to be too hard on a man who lived like that.

Beggi is survived by one brother, A P Gudbrandson, who lives at Clarkfield and it is probable that there is one or more sisters still living in the old country.

The funeral took place from the Icelandic church in Minneota last Monday and was conducted by Rev E J Hinderlie. The funeral sermon was just the kind that we think Old Beggi would have liked. It spoke to the living, with no reference to the dead and it was filled with that spirit of true, genuine Christianity that never fails to strike home.

The pallbearers were: V Anderson, A Johnson, J E Johnson, Fr Gudmundson, John Williamson and J H Frost.

Ambros Amundson

Ambros Amundson died at his home in Minneota last Monday, October 1 [1917]. He had been failing in health for a number of years, but death came suddenly and he passed away without any warning and without any suffering.

The deceased was born at Haugen, Hitterdal, Tellemarken, Norway, March 6th, 1845. He came to America in 1872, and on February 15th, 1879 he was married to Miss Gunhild Sheldrew. They began their married life on a homestead in the township of Grandview, Lyon county, and after several years moved to the township of Nordland where they resided until some years ago when they came to Minneota to live.

Mr Amundson was 72 years old at the time of his death and is survived by his wife, three sons and one daughter. The children are: Oliver, Alfred, Arthur and Mrs M D Johnson.

As the above sketch indicates, the deceased was one of the early settlers of this county. He went through the trials of the early days on the prairies and often demonstrated his fitness for the pioneer life by putting up many and hard struggles with adverse circumstances. He was a man of standing and influence in his community and held the respect of nis neighbors, as well as their good will and confidence to the last. He was a successful farmer and his efforts were blessed with achievement in many directions. He was a member of the Norwegian Lutheran church and was a man of strong convictions and unquestioned honesty.

The funeral was held from the Norwegian Lutheran church Thursday afternoon, Rev E J Hinderlie officiating.

The pall bearers were: Gilbert Hammer, Andew Stenerson, Henry Furgeson, John E Johnson, N B Nelson and Ole Skogen.

Mrs Halvor Skogen

Mrs Christi Skogen, wife of Halvor Skogen, died last Saturday, Oct 6 [1917].

The deceased was a native of Norway and was born on the 17th of May, 1846. She came to Lyon county, with the family of Lewis Anderson in 1873, having come to America several years before and lived in Iowa.

In the fall of 1878 the deceased was married to Halvor Skogen and they have made their home in this locality since.

Besides the husband the deceased is survived by the following children: Mrs J T Johnson, Mrs Herman Rockensock, Mrs Adolph Anderson, Miss Annie Skogen and Ole Skogen. She is also survived by three sisters: Mrs N E Haugen, of Minneota, Mrs Julia Olson, of Hawley, Minn, and Mrs Annie Mellington, whose home is in Montana.

The funeral of Mrs Skogen was held from the Norwegian Lutheran church here Wednesday, Rev E J Hinderlie, officiating.

Mrs Skogen enjoyed the esteem of all her neighbors and during the forty-four years that she lived in this community she proved her worth and kindness of heart in many ways. She was liberal in her dealings with the poor and she desired to contribute to the happiness of all that came within her circle of influence. She was a hardworking woman, a good wife and a kind, devoted mother.

Miss Mary Schonenbach

Miss Mary Schonenbach, of Canby, died on the 20th of this month [November 1917] and her funeral took place last Thursday. The deceased was well known to many in Minneota and vicinity, and the following went up from here to attend the funeral: Mr and Mrs Robert Boulton, T P Culshaw and Miss Mary Culshaw.

The Canby Press gives this sketch of the deceased:

"Miss Mary Schonenbach was born in Plattsville, Wis, September 29, 1868. She came to Canby with her parents in 1896, and has since made this her home. Her father, John Schonenbach, died here March 24, 1904.

"She leaves to mourn her an invalid mother, Mrs Emily Q Schonenbach, of this city; six brothers and two sisters: John, of San Francisco, Cal; Frank, of Plattsville, Wis; Eugene, of Portland, Ore; Dave, of Bridgeport, Ohio; James, of Wheelock N D; Will, of Green Valley, Minn; Mrs C M Davidson, of Ottumwa, Iowa, and Mrs James Lory, of Plattsville, Wis.

"The death of Miss Schonenbach closes a chapter in the Book of Life filled with benevolence, charity, love and sacrifice. She was one of those rare characters who found the greatest happiness in making others happy; no sacrifice was too great could she but contribute to the relief of those in affliction and distress. She was always an earnest worker in the church and led a devout Christian life. No eulogy from our pen could do justice to such a character.

"Besides the loving mother, who has been an invalid the past ten years and who has had the constant care of her devoted daughter during all these years, and her brothers and sisters, the deceased leaves a host of friends to mourn her death and lovingly cherish her memory."

Christopher C Johnson

Christopher C Johnson died at his home in this city [Minneota] last Friday [November 30, 1917]. He had been in rather failing health for some time but was sick only three days before his death.

The deceased was born in Norway in 1833 and was 84 years old. He came to America in 1866. While yet in Norway he married Miss Bertha Christopherson, who died in this locality some years ago.

Mr and Mrs Johnson settled in Wisconsin first after coming to this country. In 1874 they moved to Lyon county, Minnesota, and took a homestead in the township of Westerheim. They lived there until age compelled them to give up active farming and they came to Minneota to live.

Four children survive Mr Johnson. They are: Martin, Gilbert, Mrs Carrie Halvorson and Mrs Clara Thorson. Martin lives in Minneota and Gilbert lives at Hendricks. The latter came over to attend the funeral which was held last Tuesday from the Norwegian Lutheran church, Rev E J Hinderlie, officiating.

During the last years of his life Mr Johnson lived alone and mingled but little with other people. He was a man of strong convictions and when he once made up his mind it was not easy to change him. He was not a man tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine. The things he had faith in he held onto with an iron hand, and he believed in being square and doing right. His career was the usual pioneer career, filler with toil and difficulty, and it is not unlikely that his weary heart was glad to cease its troubled beating, when at last the summons came for him to leave his little shack by the side of the road, and begin his journey into that far off country "from whose bourne no traveler returns."

Louis R Hanson

Louis R Hanson, whose home was in this village, died at the City Hospital in Minneapolis last Sunday [December 9, 1917], from typhoid fever.

Mr Hanson had been in Minneapolis for about two months. He had been at the hospital for ten days.

The deceased was the son of Rasmus Hanson of this village and was born in the township of Westerheim February 22, 1880. He left the farm about seven years ago and after that made his home in Minneota, most of the time. He was at one time in the livery business here.

Besides his aged father he leaves three brothers and three sisters, they are: Hans, Olaus, John, Mrs Gigstad, Mrs Dave Fleming and Mrs Marvin Leland.

Louis spent all the years of his life in this locality and we think it is safe to say that he did not have an enemy antwhere. He made his living at manual labor and was a good workman. He was well liked among his associates, was of cheerful disposition, liberal and kindly disposed.

H R Hanson, a brother of the deceased, went to Minneapolis and brought the remains to Minneota Tuesday evening. The funeral took place from the Norwegian Lutheran church, Rev E J Hinderlie officiating.