July 4, 1917 - Gateway Park Flagpole
In 1914, Monument Chapter’s first project began. It was an endowed flagstaff as a monument to President George Washington.
This flagpole is all that has survived into the 21 st century from Gateway Park at Hennepin and Washington Avenue in Minneapolis. The flagpole was dedicated and presented to the Minneapolis Park Board on July 4, 1917.
Endowment income provides the funds for the purchase of some of the twelve by eighteen foot flags. The inscription on the base reads, “Presented to the city of Minneapolis as a tribute to George Washington by the Monument Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution – July the 4 th AD 1917. He built his monument in our hearts. He united us under one flag. Vindicate our rights with firmness and cultivate peace with serenity.”
A medallion with a profile of George Washington is also included on the base. The first of the four 75 lb bronze eagles that originally adorned the base was stolen in July 1961.
(44 degrees 59'00.93"N 93 degrees 15'59.23"W)
During Monument Chapters centennial celebration, the base of the historic Gateway Park flagstaff was restored. The stonework was tuck pointed, and the inscription was redone.
The Chapter charter was also restored and framed. The Chapter Charter hangs in the home of the current Chapter Regent.
1928-29 – Fort Snelling Chapel in Hennepin County
A marker on a pew, which is 5th from the back on the left side as you face the alter, indicates that the pew was donated by the Monument Chapter.
The pew marker reads:
“Commemorating service in the World War of our soldier sons, Monument Chapter D.A.R. 1929.”
(44 degrees 53'09"N 93 degrees 10'41"W)
June 14, 1935 - Sibley House Flagpole
The flagpole originally stood on a knoll near the Dupuis House in Mendota Heights. Monument Chapter had been responsible for painting the metal flagpole.
The flagpole blew down in about 2000. Because the knoll was identified as being a possible Indian Mound, the flagpole was removed and the plaque moved to a different flagpole next to the nearby Sibley House.
The plaque reads:
“Presented by the Family of Judge John F. McGee through Monument Chapt. D.A.R. Dedicated June 14, 1935”
(44 degrees 53'16.62"N 93 degrees 09'57.64 W)
1973 Southdale Library Flagpole & Flag
The Edina plaque reads:
“In recognition of Southdale Library’s service to the families of Hennepin County, this flagpole was erected in 1973 by the Monument Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. This memorial plaque was placed here in honor of the Monument Chapter’s Centennial. 1900 – 2000”
The American Flag was also given to the Southdale Library - the plaque reads: "Presented by Monument Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution November 18, 1973"
7001 York Ave. S., Edina, MN
(44 degrees 52'29.91"N 93 degrees 19'11.74"W)
1987 – A granite boulder donated by Monument Chapter stands in Tupa Pk, Edina.
It is inscribed:
“We The People – Commemorate the Bicentennial of the U.S. Constitution 1787 – 1987 Presented by Monument Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution”.
4918 Eden Ave., Edina, MN
(44 degrees 54'37.75"N 93 degrees 20'56.25"W)
Normandale French Immersion Elementary School Flagpole
The Edina plaque reads:
"Education, Patriotism, Historical Preservation. This flagpole was dedicated to the Normandale French Immersion School by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Monument Chapter, May 2003."
5701 Normandale Blvd., Edina, MN
(44 degrees 53'52.22"N 93 degrees 21'05.14"W)
June 14, 2004
On Flag Day 2004, the Monument Chapter dedicated the flagpole at the new Edina Library
The plaque reads:
“Donated by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Monument Chapter May 2004.” The flag is 60" x 90". Support for the flagpole was also provided by the Friends of the Edina Library and the City of Edina.
(44 degrees 54'29.04"N 93 degrees 21'21.78"W)
June 11, 2009
Monument Chapter donated a new 30 ft flagpole for the historic DuPuis House in replacement of the 1939 flagpole at the site which blew down in approx. 2000.
The above 1939 plaque was then set into the concrete base for the new flagpole along with the new plaque, which reads:
"Donated by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Monument Chapter, and Dedicated on June 11, 2009."
Sibley Memorial Hwy.
(44 degrees 53'16.62"N 93 degrees 09'57.64"W)