Townships, Towns and Villages
and Village information (Park Genealogical Books, Research Notes)
Map of Townships
Part of Pierz township prior to 1874, and after that it was known as Fish
Lake township. In July, 1886 the name was changed to Agram. Towns and villages:
Belle Prairie Township
Organized in 1859. Towns and villages: Gravelville (1876), Freedhem.
Organized 1858. Towns and villages: Royalton (1877), Vawter (1908-1940s).
History of Royalton
and the Surrounding Area
Organized in 1874. Towns and villages: Buckman (1879), Dixville, Little
Belle Prairie, organized in 1859, originally comprised Buh Township. In
July 1895, Buh township was organized out of Pierz township and named after
Father Buh. Towns and villages: West Lastrup, North Pierz.
Named for David Marston Clough, lumberman and former governor of Minnesota.
Organized October, 1890 from land that was originally part of Motley township.
Later on parts of Green Prairie township were added. Towns and villages:
Cut off from Little Falls township in 1870. Pike Creek and Swanville townships
were once part of it. Named after Culdrum, Ireland. Towns and villages:
Originally part of Motley township. Cut off on October 12, 1891. Named
after John B. Cushing, lumber baron and railroad official. Towns and villages:
Part of Green Prairie township until 1868. First organized as Randall township.
Became Darlign township in 1891. Named for William L. Darling, chief engineer
of the Northern Pacific Railroad. Towns and villages: Randall (1890)
Towns and villages: Elmdale (1841), Upsala (1880s).
Welcome to Upsala
Organized in July 1902. Was one time part of Belle Prairie township. Towns
and Villages: East Lastrup (1892), Granite City (1858-1865).
Green Prairie Township
Organized in 1868, utting off from Belle Prairie and comprising territory
from which the townships of Motley, Scandia Valley, Darling, Parker and
Clough were set aside. Towns and villages: Camp Ripley.
Part of Pierz township until July 7, 1902. Named after Mr.Hillman, an early
settler. Towns and villages: none.
Organized in1903 and named after Fred H. Lakin, an early settler. Lakin
township was set aside from territory known first as Oakwood and then Morrill
township. Towns and villages: none.
Organizedin 1908 out of Belle Prairie township. Named after Joseph Leigh,
an early settler. Towns and villages: Hillman (1906).
Little Falls Township
First formed in 1856. Named after the falls in the MIssissippi River. Towns
and villages: Little Falls (1855).
Explore Little Falls
Little Falls Community Information
Organized in 1881 as Oakwood township. It was renamed Morrill in 1885 after
Albert C.Morill, an early settler. Towns and villages: Morrill (1910),
Formed from Green Prairie township in 1879 and cut down in 1895. Towns
and Villages: Motley (1870/1879).
Mount Morris Township
Organized in 1897 from Little Falls township. Towns and villages: none.
Organized in 1880 out of Green Prairie township. Named for its first settler,
G. F. Parker. Towns and villages: none.
Plat Map of Parker Township (Tim Winker, Wink Timber Media Agency)
Organized in1868 and named in honor of Father Francis Xavier Pierz. Originally
included Mt. Morris and Hillman. Towns and villages: Genola (1907), Pierz
City of Pierz
Pike Creek Township
Part of Little Falls township from1856 until 1870, then divided between
Culdrum and Little Falls townships. Organized in 1880. Towns and Villages:
Organized in 1899 and named after the Platte River which runs through it.
Towns and Villages: none.
Named after the Polish General Casimir Pulaski who fought under George
Washington. Originally part of Ripley township. Organized 1899. Towns and
Villages: Harding (1920s).
Rail Prairie Township
Named after Case Rails, one of the first pioneers in this territory. Created
on 8 January 1890 as Rails Prairie township. Towns and Villages: none.
Named after the pioneer Nathan Richardson. Richardson township was created
on 7 January 1903. Before that it was part of Ripley township. Towns and
Created in 1856 and allocated to to be included in the military reservation
of Fort Ripley. Towns and villages: Fort Ripley.
Organized on 7 July 1902 from land that was comprised in Motley township.
Named for Leonard A. Rosing, the democratic candidate for Governor of Minnesota
in 1902. The township was originally called Crow WIng, but on 1 September
1902 it was changed to Rosing. Towns and villages: Gull River.
Scandia Valley Township
Created in1893 from land that was originally in Motley township. Towns
and villages: Lincoln (1893).
Swan River Township
Created in 1874 and named after the Swan River. Towns and villages: Sobieski
(formerly Ledoux) (1890/1918).
Created from the Swan River township on 12 October 1892. Towns and villages:
Two Rivers Township
Named after the Two Rivers streams in the area. Originally in Todd county,
became part of Morrison in 1864. Towns and villages: Bowlus (1907), North
Last updated 13 Dec 2004