Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

MOWER COUNTY GENEALOGY

 

 

Biographies

Mower County, Minnesota

Group File 13

 

W. P. Lambert

b: 1880

W. P. Lambert, restaurant keeper at Austin, was born in Paw-Paw, Ill., in 1880, son of Oscar D. and Clara (Hampton) Lambert. Oscar D. Lambert originally came from Hamlin, N. Y., and in 1878 came west and located in Illinois. In 1886 he came to Minnesota and purchased a farm at Red Rock, where the subject of this sketch, William, assisted his father in farming.

William grew up on this farm, attended the district school in the winter, and later for three seasons took courses in the Southern Minnesota Normal school at Austin. In this way he gained a good business education. In the meantime he had learned cooking as a boy at home and followed this at various times, working his way through school by waiting on table.

During the Pan-American Exposition at Buffalo he worked as a waiter at Niagara Falls. He also worked as clerk at Hirsch's clothing store during the fall and winter of several years, going out each year to act as waiter or cook. Following this manner of employment for some time, he saved enough of his earnings to start in business for himself in 1904, in which year he purchased the restaurant near the C., M. & St. P. station, and since which date the place has increased in popularity and patronage.

Mr. Lambert is a member of the Blue Lodge and of the Commandery in the Masonic order, and he also belongs to the Eagles. He was married September 12, 1906, to Bertha Ames, daughter of Henry and Barbara (Sachse) Ames, and to this union has been born one daughter, Ruth.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Henry Lang

b: 1842

Henry Lang, an old and respected citizen of Austin, was born in Scotland, June 10, 1842. Shortly after his birth, in 1844, he came to this country with his parents, who first located in New York city, thence removing to Taunton, Mass., and from there to Roxbury, Mass., finally settling in Wisconsin, where he received his education.

After leaving school he at once engaged in farming, coming to Minnesota in 1862 and settling on a 240-acre tract in London township, Freeborn county, breaking and developing the land, and building a house and barns. On this farm he followed general diversified farming until 1902, achieving unusual success through hard work and common sense farming methods. He then disposed of this property, and moving to Austin, he purchased a piece of land with a small house, situated on the corner of Oakland street and Kenwood avenue, and soon afterward removed the old house, erecting a fine modern residence on the same site where he now makes his home.

In politics he casts his ballot for the welfare of the community, regardless of party lines. Mr. Lang served fifteen years as clerk of London township, and was also clerk of his school district for many years. The Masonic order numbers him among its loyal members.

May 9, 1866, he was married to Jane Meadowcroft, who died July 30, 1902. Eight children were born to them, six of whom are living: Mary, living at home with her father; Kate, who died March 16, 1903; Edith, living in South Dakota, wife of R. B. McPherson; Margaret, living in North Dakota, wife of D. T. Watkins; George, of Spokane, Wash.; Maude, who died January 18, 1910; Benjamin, living in Canada; and Mattie, living at home, clerk for French & Sasse, attorneys. The family attends worship at the Presbyterian church.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Jens Larson

b: 1873

Jens Larson, mayor of Lyle, is a man of extensive business interests, and is a progressive citizen, always interested in that which tends to the betterment and development of village, township and county. He was born in Norway, June 26, 1873, son of Lars and Tea (Larson) Larson, natives of Norway, now living in Christiana in that country.

Jens Larson received his education in the public schools of his native country, and came to America in 1892. He located in Austin, and after working for the C., M. & St. P. for six years, engaged in the retail meat business in the Third ward.

A year later he sold out and located in Lyle, continuing in the same line of business. He has been successful, and in addition to his retail trade, manufactures lard and sausage and prepares hams and bacon. He is president of the Gilbert Corrugated Culvert Company, of Austin, Minn., and Aberdeen, S. D., and is a stockholder in the Lyle Telephone Company. He belongs to the A. F. & A. M., the B. P. 0. E. and the M. W. A., votes the Republican ticket, and before assuming his present office three years ago served three years on the village council. Mr. Larson was married June 12, 1900, to Martha Nelson, of Austin. Mrs. Nelson died January 30, 1911.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Knute Larson

Knute Larson, now deceased, was born in Norway, but spent the greater part of his years in America, arriving in this country in 1866 with his parents. He lived in Decorah, Iowa, two years, and then came to Lansing township and locating on the land in section twenty now owned by J. D. Sheedy, of Austin.

Mr. Larson remained on this farm nine years and then moved to the southwest quarter of section sixteen, where he spent the remainder of his days, carrying on general farming with considerable success. He died April 6, 1909.

The subject of this sketch was married to Lena Oakland, a native of Norway, and they were blessed with five children: Jennie, Henry, Ella, Tobias, and Carl. Jennie, who is dead, married L. F. Claussen, and they have two children, Francis and George. Henry married Mary Matheson and they have three children, Clarence, Polly and Harry. Ella, who is also dead, married William Henderson.

Tobias married Clarese Nicholsen and they have four boys, Louis, Theodore, Elmer and Norman. Carl A. is the youngest. He was reared on the farm, and now manages it for his mother. He married Hanna Monson, and to this union one child has been born, Alma L., now four years old. Gunder and Louisa Monson, parents of Mrs. Carl A. Larson, live in South Dakota. They are the parents of four children, Harry, Samuel, Hanna and John.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Peter Lausen

b: 1863

Peter Lausen, one of the substantial farmers of Lyle township, has made his own way in the world with but little encouragement, and is a fine example of a self-made man. He was born in Ato Schleswig-Holstein, now Germany, then a part of Denmark, September 10, 1863, son of Peter and Anna (Hansen) Lausen, natives of Schleswig-Holstein, but of Danish blood.

The father is still living in the old country, and follows his trade as a shoemaker. The mother died in 1895. Peter received his education in the schools of his native land, and came to this country at the age of seventeen years, arriving in Austin, April 27, 1881. Here he worked out by the month on a farm for a period of five years, and then spent a summer in California, later returning to Austin, where he accepted a position with Oscar Ayers, in his machine shop, remaining with him for five years.

He then accepted a position with the Minneapolis Harvester Company, working with that company three years. Subsequently he engaged with the Interstate Grain Company, as manager of their elevator at Varco, for six years, serving in the elevator winters and working on his farm in the summer.

In 1893 he purchased 160 acres of land in section 1, Lyle township, which he developed and brought to a high state of cultivation. In 1899 he erected a new modern home and buildings, now having a model farm place in every respect. In 1902 he added eighty acres to his farm, making 240 acres in all.

Mr. Lausen is an independent Republican, a member of the Lutheran church, a member of the M. W. A., and has served on the board of town supervisors of Lyle township, a position he still occupies. He also is clerk of school district number 46. When Mr. Lausen came to this vicinity he had $2.80 in his pocket, and since then, aside from acquiring his fine property, he has sent over $1,000 to his parents in the old country. The subject of this sketch was married August 26, 1896, to Randi E. Evenson, and to this union have been born three children: May, born December 23, 1897; Henry, born October 19, 1901, and Minnie, born October 31, 1906.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Clifford C. Leek, M.D.

b: 1873

Clifford C. Leek, M. D., a prominent member of the medical profession at Austin, was born October 28, 1873, in Halifax, Nova Scotia. His early education was received in the public schools of his native city, subsequently attending the public schools of Minneapolis, after his removal there with his parents at the age of twelve, and graduating from one of the city's high schools in 1894.

After graduation he taught in the grade schools of LeRoy, Minn., for one year, prior to taking a short course in a business college. In 1897 he entered the medical department of the University of Minnesota, receiving his degree as doctor of medicine three years later. His first experience in his profession was received during a year as interne in the St. Paul city and county hospital, leaving to engage upon the practice of his profession at Austin in 1901.

Dr. Leek has the well-merited confidence and patronage of a large clientage throughout the city and county. He is an active member of the County, State and American Medical Associations, serving one year as president and two as secretary of the Mower County Medical Society, and one year as county physician. He is now the examiner for Mower county for the State Sanitarium for Consumptives, at Walker, Minn., and local examiner for the Central Life Assurance Society, of Des Moines, and the Mutual Benefit of New Jersey. In politics he gives his allegiance to the Republican party. The Order of Maccabees and the Phi-Alpha-Gamma fraternity count him a loyal member, and he is also identified with the local commercial club. January 1, 1903, he was married to Flora E. Horn, of LeRoy, Minn. They have three children: Ruth M., Paul C., and Robert E. The family worship at the Congregational church. Henry and Ellen (McLeod) Leek, parents of our subject, are natives of Halifax, the father being a builder by trade.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Lee Lewis

b: 1870

Lee Lewis was born in Kendall county, Illinois, May 27, 1870, son of Lars and Martha (Olson) Lewis. The father, Lars, was born January 18, 1821, and in 1858 came to America and located in Illinois, where he farmed for several years.

In the spring of 1885 he came to Windom township, this county, and located on what was known as the Snow farm, five miles east of Austin. Lee Lewis came to Mower county as a lad of fifteen years, and has resided here since. After his marriage he purchased 120 acres in section twenty-eight, where he and his family now reside, being among the substantial residents of Red Rock township.

The subject of this sketch married Alice, the daughter of Marion, born December 18, 1898.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Henry W. Lightley

Henry W. Lightley, an extensive farmer of Austin township, is one of Mower county's distinguished citizens. He has represented the county in the lower house of the state legislature three terms, being elected in 1884, 1889 and 1903. He was appointed chairman of the delegates to the state Republican convention in 1893; was appointed by Governor Van Sant as a delegate to the Farmers' Congress held at Niagara Falls, in 1903; was appointed as a delegate to a later annual session of the same congress held in Lincoln, Neb., October 6, 1910; was elected delegate to the Stock Breeders' convention held at Denver, Colo., in 1904; has served as school treasurer for eighteen years and is now serving as director; and has served as chairman of Austin township for over twenty years.

He is a staunch Republican in politics, and affiliates with the Masonic order and the G. A. R. The subject of this sketch was born in Buffalo, Erie county, N. Y., September 28, 1838, son of John and Louise (Maltby) Lightley. He received a part of his education in New York State, and moved with his parents to Wisconsin, in 1855. There he completed his studies.

In 1860 he came to Minnesota with his brother, John, and improved the quarter section in Oakland township, Freeborn county, that his brother had preempted in 1858. Here Henry W. remained for the summer, and in the fall went to the Black river country, where he worked in the pines for $10 a month.

In 1862 he enlisted in the Union army and served until the close of the war as a private and sergeant in Company H, Twenty-ninth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded at the Battle of Sabine Cross Roads, La., and as a result carried his right arm in a sling for some time, but never left the command. He participated in all the glorious campaigns in which his regiment covered itself with glory, and was discharged in Louisiana, being mustered out at Madison, Wis., at the close of the conflict.

Then he returned to Minnesota and purchased 160 acres from a speculator for $5 an acre. On this farm he continued to make his home, working, however, in the pines thirteen winters and two summers. He has added to his land from time to time, until he now has 280 acres all told, and all in a high stage of cultivation, with well tilled acres and fine buildings.

In 1874 he started breeding pure blood Percheron horses, and in addition to this he now takes great pride in his Aberdeen-Angus cattle and Poland-China hogs. Mr. Lightley was married June 25, 1877, at Austin, to Lucy Elliott, daughter of Rev. George Elliott, a clergyman.

Mrs. Lightley died May 30, 1909, her union with Mr. Lightley having been blessed with four children: Bertha E. was born in 1879 and died at the age of ten years; Roy M. was born April 6, 1883; H. J. was born July 17, 1891; Ethel Ruth was born April 4, 1895.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Abraham S. Lott

b: 1832

Abraham S. Lott was one of the pioneers of Mower county, having arrived in Austin in the fall of 1854 with a party of four men, as related at length elsewhere. During the four decades of his residence in this county he watched the county develop and took his share in its progress.

His memory, and the example of his life, will long live in this community. The early life of Abraham S. Lott was an adventurous one. He was born in Painesville, Ohio, July 7, 1832, son of Henry Lott, a native of Pennsylvania, who moved from that state to Ohio at the age of eight years. When Abraham was very young his parents returned to Pennsylvania and took up their residence in Jefferson county. There Abraham received his earlier education.

When he was fourteen years of age his family went to Missouri, and thence to Polk county, Iowa. In 1850 Abraham left the Missouri river, May 8, with a party bound on an overland trip to the gold fields, arriving in California July 22. It is worthy of note that while on this journey Mr. Lott was one of the four men who killed forty buffalo in one hour. After four years' mining in California, Mr. Lott returned by way of the Isthmus and went directly to Rock county, Wisconsin. That same fall, 1854, he came to Mower county with three others, and took a homestead claim in Austin township.

The following spring, 1855, he brought his wife, and here established his home, building a house and developing the land. He added to his place from time to time until he owned 700 acres in this county. He was hard working, conscientious, energetic and well informed, and successfully farmed until old age made his retirement from the active duties of life advisable.

He died December 24, 1894. Mr. Lott married Jane C. Beebe, at Union, Rock county, Wisconsin. She was born in Wyoming county, New York, September 5, 1834, daughter of Guy Beebe, who migrated with his family to Wisconsin in 1846. Mr. and Mrs. Lott were blessed with two children: Colbert H., now managing the old homestead, and Olive M., now Mrs. Riley Brooks.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Colbert H. Lott

b: 1855

Colbert H. Lott, the first boy born in Austin township, first saw the light of day October 10, 1855, on the farm where he still resides, his parents being those grand old pioneers, Abraham S. and Jane C. (Beebe) Lott. Colbert H. attended the district schools and farmed with his father, having had charge of the home place since attaining his majority. He operates about 700 acres of land, and aside from raising large crops, breeds fine Aberdeen-Angus cattle, having a herd of about 125.

He also keeps about a hundred hogs, as well as the usual amount of poultry and horses. He is a Democrat in politics, but has consistently refused to accept the offices which in the estimation of his neighbors, his honored name, his ability and his record entitle him. Being of a helpful nature, he has, however, consented to serve as treasurer of the Rose Creek cemetery for many years, and his interest in the commercial development of the township is shown by the fact that he holds investments in the Inter-State Telephone Company.

In other ways he has shown his interest in the county, and has never failed to support movements for the betterment of the community. Colbert H. Lott was married January 20, 1886, to Amelia Ann Goodsell, who has proved a most able helpmeet. This union has been blessed with five children: Effie J., Cora L., Riley W., Ruth A. and Virginia B. Cora L. married Riley A. Brooks, and they have three children: Arthur A., Audrey L. and Mabel I. Mr. Lott is a high degree Mason.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

George B. Loucks

b: 1848

George B. Loucks, one of the supervisors of Frankford township, is one of the well-to-do and progressive men of the community. He is an independent voter, has served as treasurer of school district 17, and is vice-president in the Geyser Threshing & Shredding Company, No. 2, of Frankford township, as well as a stockholder in the Farmers' Store, at Spring Valley. Being of a fraternal nature, he has also allied himself with the Modern Woodmen of America, at Spring Valley.

George B. Loucks was born in Schoharie county, New York, March 18, 1848, son of Harmon and Eva (Bassler) Loucks. He received his education in his native state and was reared to agricultural pursuits. In 1868, on his twentieth birthday, he left New York state, and located in Sparta, Wis., where he remained until fall. Then he located in Spring Valley, in Fillmore county, and remained until 1871. In that year he went to South Dakota and took up land, owning at one time as much as 1,100 acres of land, this being at the time of the grasshopper plague in 1875.

After his father's death, that year, he came back to Minnesota. As he had not complied with all the legal formalities, his claim in South Dakota was jumped. Accordingly he made his home in Spring Valley. Shortly afterward he purchased 160 acres in section 26, Frankford township, and subsequently he became manager of the C. W. Taylor farm of 360 acres in Spring Valley township.

In 1890 he moved onto his farm in Frankford township. At that time only twenty acres were broken. He broke and improved the land, erected suitable buildings, and now carries on general farming, making a specialty of Shropshire sheep and Black Poll-Angus cattle. He has set out many evergreen and other shade trees, and has five acres of apple orchard.

The subject of this sketch was married December 5, 1875, to Delphine Bassler, born in Clinton, Wis., October 13, 1856, daughter of Benjamin and Rachel (Cornwall) Bassler. This union has been blessed with six children: Burdette Royal, Callie E., Mattie E., Benjamin E., George F. and Sadie L. Burdette Royal was born May 28, 1878, married Lottie Tart, lives in Bennington township and has two children, Mildred M. and Helen C. Callie E. was born April 7, 1880, married Henry Kasten, of Spring Valley, and they have one child, Delbert D. Mattie E. is the wife of Frank Clouse, of Bennington township. Benjamin E. was born August 31, 1882, and married Grace Dean. They have two children, Everett and Leon. George F. was born May 16, 1895. Sadie L. was born October 8, 1897.

Harmon Loucks was born in New York state and there, married Eva Bassler, a native of the same state. In 1869 they came to Minnesota and located in Spring Valley, Fillmore county, where they purchased land and engaged in farming until his death, June 27, 1875. His wife is still living. Harmon Loucks was born July 11, 1825, and his wife, September 20, 1827. They were the parents of twelve children: George B., of Frankford; David, of Hamilton; Maria, now Mrs. E. A. Hess, of Frankford; Andrew, dead; Jeremiah, of Frankford; Alexander, of Oklahoma; Anna, now Mrs. Thomas Fryer, of Spring Valley; Irving, of Spring Valley; Elmer, of Austin; Margaret, wife of George Churchill, of Spring Valley; Hattie, dead, and Edmund, of Little Falls, this state.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Arthur B. Lovell

b: 1871

Arthur B. Lovell, auctioneer and merchant of Austin, was born in this city, December 6, 1871, son of B. W. and Mary Ann (Sessions) Lovell. He received his early education in the public schools and at the Madison Business College, and in the meantime obtained considerable experience with his father as a cattle dealer.

At a suitable age he started in this business for himself, but later went into the brick business at Lyle. Here he lost all his money, and consequently took up the buying and selling of horses, going to Montana in 1893 and handling western horses three years. Subsequently he handled live stock for Tomlin & Stafford, of Chicago, for a year in Montana and North Dakota, and then engaged in similar work a year for Thuet Brothers, of South St. Paul.

At the end of that time he came to Austin and engaged in the live stock business for himself until 1904, in which year he started business as an auctioneer, also jobbing new and second hand commodities of all descriptions. Mr. Lovell served three years in Company G, Second Regiment, Minnesota National Guard.

He is a Republican in politics, and affiliates with the I. 0. O. F., the M. W. A., and the F. O. E. He was married at Owatonna, March 11, 1891, to Grace M. Brown, of Nevada township, Mower county. Her parents were Ozni C. and Nancy A. Brown, who came to Mower county in an early day. Mr. and Mrs. Lovell have one daughter, Ardith Lillian, born February 12, 1910.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

B. W. Lovell

B. W. Lovell, an early live stock dealer of Austin, was born in Vermont and married Mary Ann Sessions, of New York state. He received his early education in the schools of his native state, was admitted to the bar, and was engaged in the successful practice of his profession at St. Louis, Mo., at the outbreak of the Civil war.

Then he left his office, went to Michigan, was enlisted in a Michigan regiment. While at Chattanooga he was put at work with the rest of his company carrying heavy timbers, and this proved so great a strain that a great tumor appeared on his shoulder, seriously endangering his health.

After the war he came directly west, located in Northwood, Iowa, a short time, and then came to Austin, where he opened a dairy farm, and also engaged in the sale of fruit trees. Later he started dealing in live stock, shipping the first car load ever sent out from this vicinity. In this line he continued, handling on an average of 325 car loads annually. He died in October, 1890, and his wife is still living on the old home place.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

John Magee

John Magee, eldest son of James Magee, was born in Lyle township, September 25, 1873, received his education in the Austin public schools and in an Austin business college. After this he returned to the home farm, where he remained until 1899, when he purchased 120 acres in sections 8 and 17, where he built his home, and now follows general diversified farming.

He was married April 4, 1899, to Alma Dearborn, and they have one child, Myrtle, born December 14, 1900. Mr. Magee is a Republican, a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and is serving his eleventh term as assessor of Lyle township, much to his honor and to the credit of the town.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

John Mahoney

b: 1848

John Mahoney, now deceased, for many years a farmer of LeRoy township, was born in County Cork, Ireland, November 5, 1848, youngest child of John Mahoney, who came to America in 1859, located in Mower county in 1866, and died in 1878. John, the subject of this sketch, came to America with his father at eleven years of age, living for a time in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, and then coming to Mower county in 1866.

He acquired the southwest quarter of section 7, LeRoy township, broke and improved the land, erected buildings, and a fine home, increased his holdings from time to time, and carried on general farming until his lamented death. He was well thought of in the community, and was a member of the Masonic Lodge and chapter and commandery at Austin.

The subject of this sketch was married April 15, 1877, to Sarah L. Smith, daughter of Charley and Fannie (Rawley) Smith, and this union was blessed with three children: Fannie E., Mary E. and Iva R.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

John Mahoney

b: 1846

John Mahoney, now deceased, was for many years a prominent farmer of LeRoy township. He came to LeRoy as a poor man, and by good management and hard work accumulated a handsome property. He held the esteem of the community and was beloved for his many excellent traits of mind and character. He was born in County Cork, Ireland, November 15, 1846, youngest child of John Mahoney, the elder, who came to America in 1859, located in Mower county in 1866 and died in 1878. John, the subject of this sketch, came to America with his father at eleven years of age, living for a time in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, and then coming to Mower county in 1866.

He acquired the southwest quarter of section 7, LeRoy township, broke and improved the land, erected buildings and a fine home, increased his holdings from tine to time, and carried on general farming until his lamented death, April 19, 1902, when he was killed by being thrown from a vehicle by a pair of runaway horses.

Mr. Mahoney was well thought of in the community and was an enthusiastic member of the A. F. & A. M. at LeRoy and the commandery at Austin as well as of the Eastern Star. He was married April 15, 1877, to Sarah L. Smith, born at Yorksville, Pa., March 17, 1855, daughter of Charles and Fannie (Rawley) Smith, natives of Pennsylvania.

They came west to this county in 1866, purchased 160 acres of land in LeRoy township, one mile west of the village, lived there a short time, and then sold out, immediately purchasing the adjoining 160 acres, where they erected a pleasant home and conducted general farming the remainder of their days, Charles Smith dying January 28, 1893, and his wife May 18, 1893. Mr. and Mrs. Smith were the parents of six children. James P. died at two years of age; Milton, Alvin, Lucy J. and Charles E. died within the same month, all of diphtheria. Mrs. Mahoney is the only surviving member of the family. To Mr. and Mrs. Mahoney were born three daughters. Fannie E. is now Mrs. Adolph Bhend, of Le Roy township. She is a graduate of the Le Roy high school and before her marriage taught school. Mary E. graduated from tie Decorah Business College, and is now an able stenographer in Mason City, Iowa. Iva R. lives at home and attends the Le Roy high school. Mrs. Mahoney still owns the old homestead of 240 acres aside from twenty acres of timberland. Since the death of Mr. Mahoney, she has rented the farm and purchased a fine residence in Le Roy where she now lives. She has taken great pride in the education of her children.

The family faith is that of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. and Mrs. Mahoney were charter members of the Eastern Star at LeRoy, and Mr. Mahoney was treasurer of his school district for over thirty years.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Edwin W. Marsh

b: 1867

Edwin W. Marsh, treasurer and manager of the Austin Cement, Stone and Tile Company, was born in Mason City, Iowa, April 2, 1867, there received his education, and then took up contracting and building at Mason City, following this for ten years, at the end of which time he entered into the retail meat business for four years.

He came to Austin and took up the meat business here for ten years, after which he became interested in cement products, and helped to organize the company with which he is at the present time connected. Mr. Marsh resides at the corner of College and Greenwich streets.

While in Mason City he served five years as a member of Company A, Sixth Regiment, I. N. G., and for four years served as chairman of the Democratic County Committee of Cerro Gordo county, Iowa. He was married February 7, 1888, at Mason City, to Esther Hurlbert, and this union has been blessed with one daughter, Beryl E., born August 31, 1889, now a school teacher. The family faith is that of the Baptist church.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Andrew P. Martin

b: 1856

Andrew P. Martin, one of the foremost citizens of Nevada township, has been chairman of the township board for many years, and before his elevation to his present office served several terms as a member of the town board of supervisors.

He has also served in other positions of public trust and honor. Andrew P. Martin was born in Nevada township, this county, October 21, 1856, son of Peter and Anna (Anderson) Martin, the pioneers. He was reared on the home farm, attended the district schools and has devoted his life to agricultural pursuits, now carrying on general farming on 160 acres of well-improved land.

He votes the Republican ticket and is a trustee and prominent member of the Six Mile Grove Lutheran church. The subject of this sketch was married, March 14, 1880, to Julia Enerson, and this union has resulted in five children: Alma, Thea, Gilbert, Philip and Malvin. Alma is the wife of Oliver Meyer, of Roberts county, North Dakota, and Thea is the wife of Alfred Austinson, who resides in Nevada township. Gilbert, Philip and Malvin live at home.

Peter Martin, the pioneer, was a son of Martin Hanson, and the three, Peter Martin, Martin Hanson and Andreas Anderson, came to Nevada township in June, 1854, coming from Norway, via Dane county, Wisconsin, and Calmer, Iowa. Peter Martin lived one year with his father, after his arrival here, and then built a house on his claim in the southwest quarter of section 21. Peter Martin was born in Norway in 1832. He attended school until eighteen years of age and then worked on the farm.

In 1853, in company with his parents, left his native land and came to America, landing at Quebec, after a voyage of ten weeks. The family first located in Dane county, where they remained eleven months, then started with ox teams for Mower county, and settled in the town of Nevada, as before stated. He was twice married.

His first wife, to whom he was married in 1853, was Anna Anderson, a native of Norway, born in 1826. She died in October, 1870, leaving four children, named Martin, Andrew, John and Maria. He was married in 1873, the second time, and by this marriage there were two children, Clara and Albert. In March, 1888, he went to Lincoln county, Washington, where he now resides.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

John Mathieson

b: 1833

John Mathieson, who was an honored resident of Lansing for over fifty years, was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, March 14, 1833, son of Charles and Margaret (Riach) Mathieson, also natives of Scotland. The father died about 1844, and in 1853 the subject of this sketch came to this country and engaged as a shoemaker in Kenosha, Wis.

A year later the mother came over and brought her two daughters, Violet and Ann. The former was married. In 1855 the family, in company with John and James Morrison, came to Lansing township, the Mathieson family settling on sections twenty-three and twenty-six, on a farm of 142 acres. A sister, Ann, taught school in Lansing township three years, and died shortly afterward.

Mr. Mathieson continued to live on the home farm, which he conducted until he retired and came to Austin to live. He has now practically retired from active life, but still spends his time in looking after his various interests in the county. He has been a member of the town board of Lansing and also has served as town clerk. In 1884 he represented his district in the legislature. Mr. Mathieson is a Mason, and is the fifth oldest member of the Austin lodge.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Albert F. Mattice

b: 1845

Albert F. Mattice, who died June 30, 1907, honored and respected by all with whom he had come in contact, was born in Fulton, Schenectady county, New York, April 13, 1845. At an early age he came to Waterloo, Wis., with his parents, receiving his education in the public schools of that place.

Though but sixteen years old at the outbreak of the war, he enlisted September 2, 1861, in Company C, Eleventh Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, serving the entire four and a half years of the war, and rising from private to second lieutenant, these promotions attesting tot an excellent record. Returning to his home in Waterloo, he worked in the commission house of his father for a time, and then entered into railroading for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, first acting as brakeman, then as fireman, and in 1873 was made an engineer, in which capacity he remained with the road until his failing health compelled his retirement in 1906.

An equal to his record as an engineer is seldom met with, not an accident marring his thirty-five years of service. In his death Austin lost an old and respected citizen, our country a valiant soldier of the Civil war, the railroad a trusted and tried engineer, and his family a loving husband and father.

In politics he was an adherent of the Democratic Party. He was a prominent Mason, a Templar, and a member of the Eastern Star order for seventeen years, and was also associated with the Grand Army of the Republic and the B. of L. E. March 4, 1874 he was married to Elizabeth Furtney, daughter of Joseph and Charlotte (Hilker) Furtney, of Austin, the father a farmer.

He died March 12, 1903, at the age of eighty-three years, and the mother, September 22, 1903, at the age of eighty-one. The five children of Mr. and Mrs. Mattice are as follows: Oscar A., an engineer on the Hastings & Dakota division of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, located at Aberdeen, S. D., a Knight Templar and Shriner and a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen; Lydia L., wife of Harry Van Pelt, of Missoula, Mont.; Albert J., living at home, a brakeman on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, and a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the order of Owls, and the B. R. T.; Clarence W., living at home, a callboy in the employ of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad; and Helen G., also living at home. The family attends worship at the Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Mattice is a member of the order of the Eastern Star, the W. R. C., the Degree of Honor, and the G. . A. Alston F. and Sally A. (Garrison) Mattice, parents of our subject, were natives of New York, later coming to Milwaukee, where the father was engaged as a commission merchant, continuing in the same line after their removal to Waterloo, Wis. In 1883 they migrated to Clark, S. D., where the father died, April 25, 1902, at the age of eighty-seven years. The mother passed away, February 15, 1904, aged ninety-two years.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Joseph Mayer

b: 1835

Joseph Mayer, an estimable citizen living in Austin, was born in Germany, Kingdom of Wertenberg, in 1835, son of Florian and Magdaline Mayer, both natives of Germany.

The subject of this sketch came to America in 1869, landing at Castle Garden, New York, August 26, of that year. He came directly to Austin with his family and has since been a resident of this city, working for the railroad seven years, and being engaged in various labor the remainder of the time.

He married Magdaline, daughter of Michael and Magdaline (Shaub) Effinger, and to this union have been born six children: Michael, John, Mary, Theresa, Susan and Joseph. Michael, Theresa, Joseph and Susan, the latter of whom is now Mrs. Adolph Glassel, live in Austin. John lives in Kansas City, Mo., and Mary, who is now Mrs. Fred Bradbury, lives in Oakland, Cal. Mr. and Mrs. Mayer and their daughter Theresa make their home at 1405 East Water Street, where they have lived since 1888.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

James D. McCormick

b: 1856

James D. McCormick, a courteous and highly efficient conductor on the Iowa & Minnesota division of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, was born in Edgerton, Rock county, Wisconsin, in 1856, son of Thomas and Mary (Malley) McCormick, the' father and mother both being natives of Ireland.

James D. passed his early life at home and in 1873 came to Austin, and clerked in the old American house for a time. Then he took up railroading. His attention to work, his honesty and his efficiency won him gradual promotion through the various grades of service until he attained his present honorable position.

He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and of the Brotherhood of Railway Conductors. The subject of this sketch was married in 1880 to Sarah M. Smith, daughter of Matthew and Sarah (O'Brien) Smith, early settlers of Rock county, Wisconsin, who had five children: Mary, now Mrs. Edward Ford; Matthew, living in Dakota; Patrick, deceased; Catherine, now Mrs. Andrew Cullen, and Sarah, now Mrs. J. D. McCormick.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Frank Howell McCulloch

b: 1862

Frank Howell McCulloch, a commercial printer, was born at Shabbona, Illinois on August 5, 1862. He was the son of Harrison G. and Mary P. (Ketcham) McCulloch, and was educated in the De Kalb, Illinois schools until fourteen years of age.

He Learned the printing trade at Rochelle, Illinois, and worked at it in different parts of Iowa; editor of Scranton (Iowa) Journal, 1881; established a commercial printing house in Albert Lea, Minnesota in 1890. Frank relocated to Austin, Minnesota in 1892, and established the F. H. McCulloch Printing Company, contracting printers and publishers, which company was incorporated November 1, 1908, and of which he is president and manager.

Frank was married in Scranton, Iowa, to Miss Luella Goodyear in 1882. He was a member of Austin Commercial Club, Woodmen, Court of Honor and Odd Fellows.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

John Liesenfeld

b: 1829

John Liesenfeld, a native of Prussia, was born in 1829. When about twenty-five years of age he went to McHenry county, Illinois; then he came to Minnesota in 1856, and lived in Mower county for four years. Then, in 1860 he settled in Sigel.

He was married in 1856 to Catharine Kripsburch. Eight children have been born to them; only three are living: Mary, Katie and Anna.

History of the Minnesota Valley, 1882

 

 

H. C. Sutherland

b: 1833

H. C. Sutherland, born in Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1833, came to Minnesota in 1860. He enlisted in the Ninth regiment of this state and served three years. Removed from Austin, Mower county, to Hastings, where he engaged in farming for four years, but in 1878 took a farm in Big Stone county and came here the next spring.

He was married in 1863 to Miss L. Carter; the have five living children.

History of the Minnesota Valley, 1882

 

 

W. H. King

b: 1840

W. H. King, a native of Pennsylvania, was born at Wilkesbarre, in 1840. In 1849 his parents moved to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, then to Marquette county; he engaged in lumbering at Grand Rapids, and in 1860 went to St. Louis, Mo.

On June 1, 1861, he enlisted in Company K. Seventh Missouri infantry. On October 1, 1863, he was promoted to first lieutenant in Company C, Fifth U. S. artillery; was promoted to captain in same company and discharged May 20, 1866.

He came to Minnesota and bought a farm in Mower county, which he sold and went to Kansas in 1871; returning to Austin in 1873, and in 1878 came to this town. In 1868 he married Eliza Stone. Their children are: Eva M., Frank Julius, Sarah Edith, Mabel Caroline, Hulda Viola and an infant.

History of the Minnesota Valley, 1882

 

 

C. E. White

b: 1845

C. E. White, born in 1845, in Dorchester, Massachusetts, removed when ten years old with his father to Mower county, Minnesota, which was his home till he came to this town. He came here in 1876, and began making improvements on his land; has lived here since 1878.

In 1862 he entered Company I, Fifth Minnesota and served two years. He was married in 1878 to Ella Hudson; they have two children.

History of the Minnesota Valley, 1882

 

 

William McFarland

b: 1849

William McFarland, now of Austin, was for many years a prosperous farmer in Nevada township. He was born in Illinois, November 20, 1849, son of Jonathan and Cinthia A. (Trout) McFarland, the former of Scotch and the latter of Dutch descent, both being born in Ohio.

He left Illinois with his parents at the age of six years, and the family then settled in Delaware county, Iowa, moving after a short time to Mitchell county, Iowa, and, then in 1857 to Nevada township, this county, which at that early date had been but recently settled.

William grew to manhood on the farm, worked with his father for a time, then bought and still continued on the home place after his father had moved to Oregon, remaining on the farm twenty-eight years. He is now engaged in repairing and looking after the county bridges.

On March 18, 1874 he married Ella H. Bowen, who was born on June 16, 1852, in Vermont, the daughter of Mark and Sarah L. (Harris) Bowen, the former of Welsh and the latter of English descent, both being born in Vermont.

Mr. and Mrs. William McFarland were the parents of four children, Mark B, deceased; Albert J.; Nellie C., deceased; and Sadie A. Albert J., who, with his father, has various interests outside of his road and bridge repairing, married Winifred Ballard, of Kansas, and they have one child, William H. Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan McFarland had issue as follows: James, deceased; Margaret, now Mrs. Stephen Webb, living in Illinois; John, deceased; Theisa, deceased; William, living in Austin; Lucinda, now Mrs. John Thayer, living in California; Albert, now living in Oregon; Lydia, now Mrs. Irvin Barbre, living in Oregon; Libbie, deceased, and Charles, living in Oregon. Mr. and Mrs. Mark Bowen were the parents of six girls and one boy. Of these four are living: Mrs. Fanny Waldo, of Vermont; Mrs. Carrie Fairbanks, of the state of Washington; Mrs. Louise Ballard, of Kansas, and Mrs. Ella H. McFarland, of Austin, Minnesota.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Harvey M. McIntyre

b: 1849

Harvey M. McIntyre, postmaster, prominent official and merchant of Lansing village, was born in the town of Saranac, Clinton county, New York, March 6, 1849, son of Hosea and Harriett (Morrison) McIntyre, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of New York state. Harvey M., who was the fifth of seven children, received such education as the schools of his neighborhood afforded, and as a young man commenced clerking in a store near his birthplace.

After about three years, at the age of nineteen, he went to Illinois and spent a winter near Chicago. Then he spent a year at Utica, in LaSalle county, Illinois. From there he went to Helena, Iowa county, Wisconsin, and stayed there until the spring of 1873. From that year dates his residence in Lansing. Upon his arrival here he engaged in the mercantile trade with John Bartlett under the firm name of Bartlett & McIntyre.

In the fall of 1883 he purchased his partner's interest, and since that time has carried on the business alone. In 1876 Mr. McIntyre was elected town clerk, and when the village of Lansing was incorporated he became recorder of the new municipality, a position he held as long as the municipality was in force. He was appointed postmaster under John Wanamaker in 1889, which position he still maintains.

Mr. McIntyre was married at Helena, Iowa county, Wisconsin, August 20, 1873, to Ada C. (Saxton), who was born May 3, 1854, and to this union five children have been born: Herbert E., deceased; Albert H., deceased; Clarence; Harry S. and Hattie L. Clarence is married and living in New York city. He graduated from a commercial college at Austin. Harry S. is in the store clerking for his father. He is a graduate of the Owatonna high school and of Carleton College. Hattie L. is a music teacher and lives at home. She graduated from the Austin high school and attended Pittsburg Academy at Owatonna.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

C. H. Metgaarden

b: 1845

C. H. Metgaarden, a Lansing township farmer, now living in the city of Austin, was born in Norway in 1845, came to America in 1887, located in Ward county, Iowa, and there remained until 1903, when he came to Lansing township and purchased the Jensen farm. Later he took up his abode in Austin.

He married Mary Knudtson, and they have four children: Holiver; Rena, now Mrs. Jacobson; Knute and Christianna.

HISTORY OF MOWER COUNTY, 1911

 

 

Webization by Kermit Kittleson
©2008 MnGenWeb