Wirock, is a village located in the northeast quarter of Section 24 in Iona Township. Wirock was named after Herman and Amelia Weirauch. In 1906 Weirauch deeded two acres of land to the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad for a side track. He deeded seven additional acres in 1907 for a town to be built. If the town failed to become a reality the land would return to the Wirock Farm. Streets and alleys were drawn out, named and filed at the courthouse. It was named Wirock because it was thought that Weirauch would be hard to pronounce.
Peter Brynes built the first elevator in 1907. The present elevator was constructed in 1913.
Charles Wendling, who lived on the Gerben Cuperus farm, owned the first grocery store in Wirock in 1909. The building in which the store was located was converted into a house and moved to Slayton. The second store that was built was larger and not only served as a general store but also was a produce and cream station. A Mr. P. J. Nelson put in the first stock of groceries and dry goods. Charles Morse was the manager and first owner of the Wirock Store. Operators in later years were the Tebbe Basche, Reiner Bruns and Vance Scott.
The depot and blacksmith shop were built about the same time as the second grocery store building, around 1920. John Uttech operated a blacksmith shop, hardware store and post office in the first home north of the Wirock Store. After Uttech left, the post office was moved into the store building.
The story is told that there were some who called Wirock "Buttinsky" because they felt that Wirock was organized to "butt in" on Iona and Fulda.
Wirock, Murray County's youngest village, suffered in the general decline of other small communities.