Thanks to Sheila Wingate for getting permission to use this history and transcribing it.
The Centennial Committees and the City Council would like to thank all the people who helped to celebrate this Centennial.
We thank the following organizations for their participation: 4-H, Courtland Rec Board, Courtland Lions Club, Courtland Fire Department.
We thank the following businesses and people for their donations: Courtland State Bank, Crowbar, Swany's Pub, Courtland Mart, Kollmann Electric, MN Forest Products, Courtland Industries, Renner's Feed, Voges Construction, Pamida, Runnings, Herbergers, Hy-Vee, Telijohn, Manderfeld Lumber, Puhlmann Lumber, Harmening Oil, New Ulm Building Center, Dave's Repair, Wallner Construction, New Ulm Telecom, McDonald's, Hardies, Burger King, Lehthold-Jensen, Wilfahrts, Spelbrinks, New Ulm Furniture, Randalls, Mr. & Mrs. Jerome Harmening and Elton Bode.
We also would like to thank deeply the people who loaned up their pictures to put in this book and to display: Lerone Geisthardt, Violet Petterson, Oscar Reinhardt, Walter Hulke, Mary Krueger, Elton Bode, Wilhelmine Schmidt, Marvin Fiemeyer, Orval Fiemeyer, Duane Fiemeyer, Dorothy Bode, Marietta Zeise Bernice Friederich, Frances Haubrick, Maynard Wiese Dorothy Marten, John Berberich, Larry Hulke, Julius Diedrich, and Tim Renner.
Head of the Centennial Committee:
Cindy Voges, Laura Luepke, and Tim Renner
Lorene Hulsey and Laura Luepke
Lucille Burdorf, Wilhelmine Schmidt, Marian Rengstorf, Elton Bode and Mark Fiemeyer
Sandy Hulke, Marsha Wills and Tami Studtmann
The first people to settle in the Courtland area were the Sioux Indians. Chief Sleepy Eye had a large Indian village on the south shore of Swan Lake (Mara Tonka) between what are now the cities of Courtland and Nicollet.
The Village of Hilo was founded in 1856 but died out before any settler could buy any lots. The Welsh settlement of Hilo became part of Courtland.
The county commissioners of Nicollet County's earliest days had problems much different than those of today must face. Applications to operate ferries up and down the river had to be considered. One was licensed to operate near Courtland in about 1856 (just east of where County Rd 24 crosses the river now). The river was first called St. Peter's River but was changed in 1852 to Minnesota River "Murky or Cloudy Water".
The "City of Courtland" was not incorporated until 1892, so it was in
control of the Township Board. This township is situated in the southern part of the county and borders on the Minnesota River. April 27, 1858 it was set apart for organization and the town meeting held at the Hilo Post Office soon after, at which time Antoine La Chapelle, Luther Morton and Samuel Coffin were Judges of Election. The latter was chosen Chairman of the Town Board. The town was first called Hilo, but changed to Courtland after a town in New York, had the spelling of "Cortland". Notice of Election dated October 31, 1892, petitioned to incorporate as the "Village of Courtland", with the election on December 1, 1892 at the Town Hall in Town of Courtland. Certificate of Inspectors dated December 2, 1892 shows that said lands were incorporated at said election by a vote of "26 For and 0 Against".
The first settlers were Jacob Harmon, Mr. Haresine, John Sidel and Jacob Gfeller, who came in the spring of 1855. In June, E. Hendley, and sons, J. L. and James, followed them.
The first school in the Township was taught in the spring of 1858 in Mr. Kelly's house by Matilda Enfield. There were 5 public schools and 2 private German schools in 1882. In 1892, C. A. Zieske was the teacher at the school and there were 50 pupils attending. On October 27, 1892, the school bell arrived and was raised. During the winter of 1893, the school was closed for a number of weeks due to a scarlet fever epidemic. The school was re-opened on February 22, 1893. On December 17, 1894, the school had entertainment in the Town Hall on a Saturday evening with the proceeds of the entertainment going towards buying an organ for the school. The admission was 15 cents. The school was remodeled and a basement was put in 1934. The school was closed in 1963, and the building moved over by the Zimmerman gravel pit and made into a garage. The building is still there today.
Courtland station (Village of Courtland) was on the line of the Winona and St. Peter railroad, on section 8. At one time there were 4 passenger trains that went through town and 4 freight trains. The train tracks were taken out in 1973.
The first building erected was a warehouse, in 1872. In 1873, C. Bobsin opened a general store. In 1882, there were 3 general stores, 2 blacksmith and wagon shops, a harness shop, a shoe shop, hotel and saloon, about 8 dwellings, a depot and an elevator.
During the Indian outbreak, 9 residents of this township were killed, among them Gotlieb Gerboth, William Sonnenburg, Mr. Richter and son.
January 3, 1893 the first Council meeting of the Village of Courtland was held. President (Mayor) was J. H. Doty. Trustees (Council members) were: A. Corbit, H. Peter Hausen and Herman Fechner. Fred Bobsin was Treasurer. John R. Bowen was recorder (clerk). And W. A. Garboth was Constable. John Schlekau, Karl Pauling and Fred Bobsin each applied for liquor licenses. They paid C. R. Davis a $30 fee for incorporating, and M. M. Craw $12 for surveying the Village limits.
April 17, 1895 William Gerboth was in business in the Meat market. Courtland was provided with the weather services received from James Bennet, druggist of St. Peter, who received his predictions from Headquarters. Christian Bobsin the Courtland Postmaster displayed the forecast for the public in the Post Office.
May 3, 1906, the City donated $52.50 to the San Francisco sufferers.
May 1, 1920, the City sold bonds of $2,500 for the purpose of a lighting plant to provide electricity for the Village.
May 5, 1938 Theo Ofterdahl of Pemberton showed free Picture Shows on the west outside school wall. These Shows were still being showed in 1955 by the Courtland Businessmen's Association for 12 weeks each summer.
October 21, 1941 a Special Council meeting was called because property in the Village had been damaged and the owner of the properties demanded that Council do something to bring the guilty parties to justice. After everyone denied doing the damage, the meeting was closed and re-opened the next evening. After awhile, Roger Hinderman, Donald Drill and Hilary Koreis admitted to tipping over the outside toilet of Carl Paulson on October 16th. Then Marvin Olson, Armin Fiemeyer, Jr. and Gerald Feiser admitted to the other in question. They all agreed to settle for damage done and personally apologize.
Courtland grew quite rapidly and from about 1900 to the 1920's the following business places were established: saw mill, feed grinding place, lumber yard, 3 elevators, cattle yard, Standard Oil bulk station, 3 saloons, 2 hotels, 2 garages, butcher shop, harness shop, creamery, 5 general stores, depot, schoolhouse, restaurants, photography studio, bank, 2 service stations, hardware store, barber shop, 2 blacksmith shops, theatre, 2 implement dealers and 2 car dealers.
In January 1966, the only businesses left were the Courtland State Bank, elevator, 2 taverns, café, 2 service stations, creamery, 1 general store, combined hardware store and post office, a blacksmith and welding shop, garage and implement dealer.
Census - 1900 -174; 1910 - 207; 1960 - 239; 1970 - 310; 1980 - 399; 1990 - 412; 2000 - 538;
Some Early Pioneers
Fred Baumgarth, a native of Germany, was born in 1852. He came to the United States in 1877, and after farming 6 months in Wisconsin; he worked at his trade, harness maker, one year at Sauk City and the same length of time in Milwaukee. In 1879, he migrated to the state of Minnesota, and after working in Mankato about one year he came to Courtland Village and established the only harness shop in the place.
John Bobsin was the father of Christian, Fred, Sr., and Mrs. C. Stege. He died in Courtland on April 2, 1890 at the age of 84.
Anna Bobsin was born on August 11, 1868 at Green Garden, Illinois and came to Minnesota with her parents about 1878 and settled in Courtland. She married G. W. Schlottmann on March 8, 1888 at Courtland. They had 9 children: Mrs. John Rockvam, Mrs. William Marks, Mrs. August H. Christensen, Grant, Mrs. Paul Wiese, Mrs. Emanuel Gieseke, Franklin, Garnet and Gordon. She died on November 27, 1941 of bronchial trouble.
Christian Bobsin was born near Plau, Mecklenburg Schwerin, Germany, May 4, 1838. He came to America with his parents in 1857, and settled in Madison, Illinois. There he was married in the year 1864 to Maria Spoering (she died on April 23, 1911). Shortly after their marriage they came west and settled on a farm in the Courtland Township. In 1873, he purchased a tract of land in the present Village of Courtland and opened a store, which he conducted with success until the time of his death. He was in reality one of the Founders of Courtland being its FIRST resident, and instrumental in having it platted. He was the first Postmaster of the village and held this office for 20 years, of which 16 years were consecutive. They had 14 children (2 names are unknown): Mrs. Gustav Krueger, Mrs. Albert Zimmermann, Henry, Fred, George, Bertha, Anna, Mrs. George Schnackenbert, John, and Mrs. Otto Kock. Christian Bobsin died on July 8, 1914 at the age of 76, in Courtland due to kidney trouble and heart failure.
Fred Bobsin, Sr. was born in Mecklenburg, Germany on August 30, 1843, and immigrated to America with his parents in the year 1857, and settled in Madison, Illinois. There he married in 1866 to Dorothea Ebel who was born in Mecklenburg, Germany on March 1, 1850, and came to America with her parents, Mr. & Mrs. John Ebel in 1863. He took up farming in Green Garden, Illinois, but in 1878 they came to Minnesota and settled in the Village of Courtland. He immediately engaged in business, which continued until about 1915 when he retired from active life. They had 5 children: Mrs. G. W. Schlottmann, Mrs. C. W. Block, Mrs. H. E. Stellmacher, Fred Jr., and Mrs. John P. Schroeder. Fred Sr. died on June 19, 1918 at the age of 74 in Courtland due to a stroke.
J. H. Doty was born in 1846 in New York, and in 1857 the family migrated to the town of Courtland, Minnesota. He remained at the farm with his father during the Indian troubles, but his mother and sister were in St. Peter. Since leaving home at the age of 25, he has been engaged in wheat buying at different places, and about 1878 located in Courtland. He also worked quite extensively in lumber and feed. In 1882 he was Station Express agent in Courtland. He held the office of Township Clerk from 1868 to 1875. Married in 1871 to Sarah Piper, their children were Wilber E. and Grace L. He also operated grain elevators in Springfield and Sleepy Eye. He was engaged in the lumber business, in raising purebred livestock and was Founder of the Courtland Creamery. He owned a lot of land in the Village of Courtland and all of the land that is along main Street of Courtland.
F. G. Hall was born in 1838 in New York. When 18 years old, he began learning the trade of machinist. He was afterward in charge of a spoke factory in Chenaugo County two years, and 18 months in a sawmill. After living one year in Wisconsin he came in 1862 to Minnesota. He enlisted in Company L, Second regiment of cavalry and served until the war ceased, after which he returned to this state. Mr. Hall lived a number of years at Hastings, also in Olmsted County and Minneapolis. In 1882 he had charge of J. H. Doty Elevator engine. He married Frances Barrows in 1864, and had two sons, Llewellyn and Willis.
Fred Krueger had one of the last old time blacksmith shops that existed in his family for a century. In its prosperous days, it required 4 workers in the summer months. His father, Gustav, built the front part of the building in 1889, soon after coming to Courtland. He had been a blacksmith all his life. As the business expanded, Gustav added on to the shop's size and branched out into the building of wagons, boxed and open. During the winter months, Gustav had 2 men working with him and added another during the busier summer months. Fred's introduction to shop work came at an early age when it became his job to drive the horse that powered the shop's equipment. When his father died in 1943, he took it over.
Before the introduction of tractors, horseshoeing was a big part of the Krueger's business. "The passenger train came through from New Ulm at 7:00 am. On days when there was a sleet storm, the farmers were here by then to get their horses shod. Dad would shoe horses from 7:00 in the morning until 7:00 at night." Fred commented. "Them were the days, I tell you."
In March 1989, the business and all its possessions went up for auction. Included on the auction listing was an item marked simply as "200 pounds blacksmith coal". Fred remarked, "There's only one place in the Cities (Minneapolis & St. Paul) that you can get it. When the trucks went into the city from here, they hunted it up for me." From their place in storage in the old shop in Courtland's Main Street, Krueger's anvil, forges, line shaft equipment, grindstone, buggy and wagon parts and sleigh bolsters may once again see use. or be placed in collections as a remembrance of blacksmithing, one of the pioneer skills that made this country what it is.
George W. Schlottmann was born in Green Garden, Illinois, May 29, 1865. He lived in that county until he came to Minnesota in 1887, locating at Courtland. He opened a general store and remained in business in Courtland until 1919 when he moved to New Ulm. (There is more on his businesses under "Early Businesses".) He died on November 2, 1927 in New Ulm when he was overcome by carbon monoxide gas while working on his car.
John C. Kettner was born September 11, 1877, on a Nicollet County farm and raised on the family place until he turned to public service and banking careers in 1899 after losing his right arm in a corn shredder accident. He was elected Registrar of Deeds for the County in 1901, and served in that post until appointed an assistant in the County Treasurer's office in 1911.
After 14 years in public office, he began his banking career at Elgin, later working for the Federal Land Bank in St. Paul, and then in 1928 began 23 years of service at the Courtland State Bank. He retired as cashier in 1951. During these years, Kettner continued his public service with two terms as a Representative in the State House in 1936, and as Mayor of the Village for 13 years and a member of the School Board for 12 years.
Kettner put his knowledge of legal and governmental red tape to work by taking care of mountains of paperwork for the government during both World Wars, and is remembered for his willingness to help probate Wills when his help was needed --- all free of charge.
John Kettner married twice the first time in 1904 to the former Gustie Olson. She died in 1931. They had one daughter, Rosalie Estelle. He later married a former schoolmate, the former Mrs. Alma M. Bode in 1939. One of this Community's best-known and oldest citizens died at the age of 84 in 1961.
Fred Zimmerman was born in Germany July 24, 1853 and died July 31, 1952, a week after his 99th birthday. He moved to America at the age of 8. His family settled in Wisconsin, but moved to Nicollet County about 10 years later, and helped start one of the area's first farms. In an interview he told a reporter "it was nothing but a wilderness when he first arrived. There was only prairie grass and a few trees, with no farms or cultivated land in sight." He married the former Mathilda Schroeder, who traveled here from Germany with her family. She died during the flu epidemic in 1920. Fred was living on the farm he had built where he and his wife had raised 8 children: Mrs. Ann Janke and Mrs. Ida Schroeder, Danube: Mrs. Reinhold Kohn, Mrs. Ella Fehlman, and Mrs. William Schmidt, Courtland; Mrs. Ira Zieske, Wabasso; and Henry, Mahall, ND.
Courtland Post Office
The first post office was established in 1856 and was known as "Hilo Post Office". William Dupree was appointed postmaster and operated in his residence. In 1865 the name was changed to Cortland and Louis Rotermund was made postmaster on May 17, 1866. On August 14, 1867 John Ahlenstorf was named postmaster. The name was changed in 1869 to Courtland. The Post Office moved into the present building in February 1967. The following is a list of postmasters in Courtland and the date they were appointed:
Christian Bobsin November 11, 1874
George W. Schlottman September 25, 1889
John R. Bowen October 17, 1892
Christian Bobsin August 20, 1894
George W. Schlottman September 21, 1898
Daniel W. Vomhof November 25, 1914
Robert W. Zimmerman June 9, 1916
Louis T. Precht (Acting Postmaster) May 1, 1934
Frank A. Heidemann May 4, 1935
Donald J. Bode (Acting Postmaster) December 31, 1953
Mrs. Janice E. Drill (Officer in charge) June 25, 1979
Mrs. Janice E. Drill November 17,1979
Courtland Fire Department
On June 5, 1897, the Council ordered a fire engine from Waterous Engine Works of St. Paul for $2,000, and did their first test on October 28, 1897. Also on July 28, 1897, the Council accepted the bid of $780 to build a firehouse and cistern at the south end of Third Street by Railroad Street. They had a water line dug to the corner of 3rd and main Streets for a fire hydrant. In May of 1907, they extended the line one block east and west of 3rd Street. In 1936, the W. P. A. extended the line further east and west. These hydrants were used until the City water system was put in in 1956. On January 7, 1908, they bought the fire bell and tower for $87.75. This is the bell that sits by the fire hall now. On April 3, 1941, they ordered from W. S. Parley & Co. of Chicago, the present fire siren for $193.95, which is still in use today.
After the fire on October 2, 1930, they ordered a new Ford fire truck, which the City still has. There was another cistern built at the corner of 5th and Main for $358, which is still there today.
Fire Chiefs of the City of Courtland and the year they became Chief:
Theodore Precht 1920
Herman Poehler 1923
Elmer Precht 1924
George Holzerland 1926
William Schmidt 1929
E. J. Neils 1930
Herman Poehler 1934
George Holzerland 1935
Fred C. Ginkel 1936
Raymond Meyer 1939
Sheridan Young 1941
H. H. Meyer 1942
William C. Forbrook 1944
Ralph Zimmerman 1945
William C. Forbrook 1947
Cyril Reding 1951
William C. Forbrook 1952
S. J. Thill 1953
Ronald Renner 1967
S. J. Thill 1968
Merlyn Harmening 1975
Eugene Forbrook 1976
Ronald Renner 1983 (May)
Merlyn Harmening 1983 (December)
Lynn Flygare 1986
FIRE in Courtland causes BIG Damage --- December 8, 1929 per New Ulm's THE JOURNAL
Fire originating with the explosion of a gasoline stove in the restaurant at Courtland, Sunday morning, caused a loss of two buildings valued at $2,500 and contents of the restaurant and residence valued at approximately $700 were also completely destroyed. The buildings were covered with endurance it is understood.
News of the fire reached New Ulm shortly after 8:00 am Sunday morning when a call came for the New Ulm Fire Department. Chief Fred Pfaender was out of town and Assistant Chief Alfred Schroeck secured permission of Mayor Emil Mueller to assist residents of the neighboring village. The local department arrived in the nick of time. It was too late to do anything to save the residence or restaurant building, but other structures were saved from destruction.
Courtland has large cistern that is used for fire protection. The Nicollet fire department also responded to the call for help and was at work when the New Ulm department arrived. The local fire ladies laid 1,000 feet of hose and within a very short time had a one-inch stream of water spraying on the fire. With the use of the pumper it was possible to protect the Charles Block dry goods store, which was in danger of catching fire, and other building in close proximity.
Fred Ginkel, Sr. owned the residence and restaurant building, who with his family occupied the house. Zieske & Palmquist operated the restaurant. Both buildings and their contents were a total loss. It is not known whether Mr. Ginkel intends to rebuild or not.
Mayors of the City of Courtland and the year they took office:
J. H. Doty 1893
Henry Schlottmann 1895
J. H. Doty (won by lot) 1896
Henry Schlottmann 1903
J. H. Doty 1904
W. A. Gerboth 1907
H. H. Drill 1907
G. W. Schlottmann 1908
Herman Poehler (won by lot) 1910
E. C. Etter 1911
Lorenz Hunziker 1913
G. W. Schlottmann 1919
Lorenz Hunziker 1920
Herman Poehler 1925
Wallace Goodell 1935
John Kettner 1938
Vernon Schultz 1952
Stanley Fischer 1966
Marvin Fiemeyer 1968
Stanley Fischer 1974
Daniel Rhoades 1979
Marvin Fiemeyer 1981
Merlyn Harmening 1986
Courtland State Bank
The Courtland State Bank has been in business since 1905. The former bank building, at one time, was a blacksmith shop, and then a saloon at the turn of the century. In 1904, the building was moved (and torn down in 1990) and was remodeled into a bank. The organization, founded in 1905 to provide more convenient service for farmers and city dwellers in the Courtland area, operated out of that building for 49 years.
Back in the days of horse and buggy, Courtland residents had to travel to Nicollet or New Ulm to do their banking. So a group got together and decided to form a Courtland bank in the early 1900's. By the time 1905 rolled around articles of incorporation had been drawn up and enough money was raised to finance the institution. The original capital stock issue was $15,000. Assets of the organization climbed at a rapid pace, from $34,000 after the first year of operation to $520,000 in 1955. The members of the original board of directors were J. G. Lund, first president; F. E. Dix, E. L. Schultz, Herman Poehler, Ernest Drill, William F. Stege and John Reinhart. The first cashier was L. Scharf.
In 1954 the Bank built and moved into the present building, built for $17,000. At that time President H. H. Berg, Vice President Alex Reinhart, and Directors Arthur Bode, Rudolph L. Bode, Arthur Harmening, Walter D. Langhorst, and H. H. Seemann guided the institution. The addition to the east side of the bank was built in 1976.
In 1987, a newly formed holding company, known as Minnesota Valley Financial Services, Inc. bought the Courtland State Bank. The Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis formally approved the sale of the bank on September 12, 1987; the sale was not official until a 30-day statutory waiting period had been completed. The holding company paid $775,000 to the 22-24 predominately local shareholders in the bank. At that time the Bank had assets of $6.5 million. Under the terms of the sale, John Wisniewski became a director at the banker replacing the retiring Donald J. Bode, and joining bank directors W. W. Studtmann, Rudolph Bode, Norman Bode, and Wilmer Bode.
Some of the cashiers at the bank were Alfred Ouren, Mr. Espenson, Mr. Scharf, Paul Meyer, H. H. Berg, John C. Kettner and W. W. Studtmann.
Courtland Evangelical Lutheran Church
The Evangelical Society held religious services in 1858, with Rev. M. Shaw presiding. In 1878 a frame church was built, which cost $1,100 ---1Ž4 miles west of Courtland north of Highway 14 where the cemetery is. The Rev. John Simon dedicated the Church and had about seventy members.
Rev. Ruprecht held the first Lutheran services in the winter 1859-60. In 1867 the Society was organized and had about seventy members. The Lutherans have a church on section 11 (3 1Ž4 miles east of Courtland), built in 1881 at a cost of $8,000.
In 1921 a group of people in Courtland, Minnesota got together and felt that a Church should be built in Courtland. Many of these people had belonged to the Immanuel Church (Missouri Synod), but they wanted their own church in Courtland. They settled on the name of St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church and built the present building in 1921.
Rev. John Detjen was the first pastor, who served the congregation until 1923. Since a pastor could not be obtained from the Missouri Synod, the congregation received its pastors from the Ohio Synod until 1937. Rev. William Striepe came to Courtland in 1923 and conducted the services faithfully in the German language. Rev. Otto Krueger came to Courtland in 1930. Rev. H. Buenting replaced Pastor Krueger in 1933. The Courtland congregation had its own parsonage, but because of financial difficulty it was decided that Pastor Buenting would live in Winthrop and serve the Ohio Synod church I that town, driving to Courtland to conduct services. Financial difficulty continued to plague the congregation, and it soon became evident that they would try to get pastors from another synod.
In 1937, the first pastor from the Minnesota District of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod began to serve these people. This was Pastor Adelbert J. Mass. It was at this time that the name of the Church was changed to Courtland Evangelical Lutheran Church. It was also at this time that the Parsonage was sold, since Pastor Mass was living in the Brighton Township parsonage. Courtland then became a dual parish with Brighton Township and has remained such until the present time.
Rev. Max C. Kunde arrived on the scene in 1941, and served the congregation until 1951. Pastor Elton Hallauer came in 1951. It was during this time that the basement of the church was redone in conjunction with some remodeling in the upstairs of the church. Pastor Hallauer remained with the congregation until 1955 at which time Rev. Edwin Biebert became the new pastor. Rev. Schoeneck became the pastor and died in November 1962. So the congregation was faced with a vacancy again.
During the summer of 1963, Vicar Melvin A Schwark served the congregation, and at the end of the summer, the people were again in need of a pastor. This vacancy continued until the summer of 1964 when Rev. Melvin A. Schwark became the pastor. Since 1964, the congregation has purchased a new organ and a furnace, and has painted the outside, as well as the inside of the church. In the summer of 1968, new carpeting was installed in the church, and the front area of the Church was remodeled. More property was acquired. On October 13, 1968, Pastor Schwark was granted a leave of absence to serve as a civilian chaplain in Vietnam.
In 1972, Pastor Schwark left the congregation and Prof. Birck was the vacancy pastor. In 1973 Rev. Engel accepted the call and was here until 1976 when Prof. Birck again became our vacancy pastor. In 1977, Rev. Lothert was the pastor until September 1990, and then Rev. Ralph Bauer became the vacancy pastor until he accepted the call in 1991, and is still the present pastor today. This is the only church in Courtland, and maintains a cemetery just northeast of the city.
On March 13, 1893, a Chicago firm had agreed to put up a creamery and cheese factory for $4,300 provided that 30 farmers would take a share of $100,000 with 10 shares having been purchased. On March 27, 1893, a shareholders' meeting of the creamery was held and it was decided to build north of Schlottman Store. On June 21, 1893, the Courtland Creamery was completed but was not in use yet. By February 28, 1894, the Creamery was doing business in a hot blaze. The farmers were asked to haul in their cream and receive cash money for it. By May 16, 1894, the Creamery took in 5,000 lbs of milk a day. By February 1, 1896, it was taking in about 20,200 lbs of milk a day. The butter it made was selling for 24 cents.
The last building use for the Creamery on the west end of town was built in 1913 and was ready for use in 1914. John Havemeier donated the land. The Creamery closed in 1970.
Managers over the years of the Creamery have been Herman Froehlich, Charles Randen, Mr. Reddemann, Cyril Wright, William Dannheim, George Schlieman and Glenn Anderson.
August 25, 1943 --- article from New Ulm's newspaper - THE JOURNAL
In May 1894, the Courtland Correspondent had this to say of the progress of the Courtland co-op: The Courtland creamery is now well fixed with work, 8,000 lbs of milk is received daily. The butter made from this is 4,000 lbs which has brought from 21 to 26 cents --- one half cent above the market price at all times. Our butter has been pronounced by dairy experts to be the very best made.
The manager of the plant, H. Froelich, is very active in the interest of the corporation. The butter maker, Peter Johnson, has had several years experience and does his work neatly. A cistern of 50 barrels capacity has been made to hold the milk for the patrons. The treasurer's books for the last week show a business of $542.75 transacted.
According to the last annual report of the Courtland Creamery association, a total of 385,665 lbs of butter were manufactured last year. The total butterfat from cream and milk last year was 312, 934.1 lbs. The average price paid for butterfat was 46.38 cents. This creamery, which was the first cooperative to be organized in Nicollet County, was organized 1893.
The present officers (in 1943) of the Courtland Creamery association are Gust Reinke, President; Fred J. Meyer, Secretary; August Havemeier, Treasurer; with Herman Luepke, Richard Reinhart, and Robert F. Schroeder, as Directors.
February 11, 1946 --- article from New Ulm's newspaper - THE JOURNAL
The article said. that the Creamery manufactured 321,092 lbs of butter in 1945, which was 19,332 lbs more than in 1944. The Board was Albert Meyer, President; F .J. Meyer, Secretary; Arthur Bode, Treasurer; Gerhard Bode, Robert Schroeder, and Herman Luepke, directors.
Businesses in Courtland
In September 1892, the Schlottmann Brothers Store which was also the Post Office, had a robbery of between $400-500 worth of jewelry, watches, fine dress goods and the like. The clerk who slept in the upper part of the building heard the thieves when they entered and departed but was unarmed and did not care to interfere, but gave the alarm after they left the building and a posse was soon formed which watched the 3:00am passenger trains to see that they did not board either of them. No record was found if they caught the thieves.
In 1919, G. W. Schlottmann built a theater, but it did not stay in business too long. The building was converted into a garage. Also in the same block across from what is now the City Park, George Bobsin put in a Bowling Alley in 1926. That block at one time had a gas station, saloon, theatre/garage, ice cream parlor, photo studio (in back of the ice cream parlor), restaurant, 2 houses, grocery, and the Town Hall.
On December 8, 1929, the block lost 2 buildings to a fire: a restaurant and a house. Then in 1931, a garage burned in the same block. The only building that remains today is where H. H. Foss had his gas station, now as a house owned by Charles Herlick. Some of the gas station managers were: Otto Brueske, Walter Ulrich, Robert Vernon, Mr. Fazeden and Louis Bobsin.
Around the turn of the century the town had a Chinese laundry. It was just west of where the Bank is today. At that time they did not use spray bottles. Instead they would fill their mouths with water and spray it on the clothes.
Just west of the laundry was one of the 2 blacksmith shops. It was built by Robert Lieder. After him were Ernst and Louis Etter, H. H. Meyer, and Pete Karr. The building was removed about 1963.
There was a gas station just east of the Creamery building. It was built by Herman Havemeier. Other owners have been Fred Mueller, Mr. Horstman, Herbert Kosei, and Orval Fiemeyer. Orval Fiemeyer closed this station and moved it to the one across the street.
Owners of the gas station on Block 7, where Leonard Long now lives, were John Studtmann, Fred C. Ginkel, Kenneth Domeier, Mr. Mueller, Curley Hessing, and Dennis Bruns.
A farmers' Co-op store was here in 1908, where the Courtland Mart is now. It was managed by D. W. Vomhof. It was bought in 1910 by R. W. Zimmerman. Other owners have been Louis E. Braun, Clark Owens, Ray Priebe, Ward and Gerald Foster, and Ronald Hulke. This store was torn down in December 1987.
At one time there were 5 grocery stores in town operated by: Christian Bobsin, Mrs. Curt Stege, R. W. Zimmerman, G. W. Schlottmann, and Dave Rosenbaum.
Just south of the store was a small hardware store built by James Doty and later owned by Max Friederich.
The Elevator still in operation was first owned and operated by James Doty, later by Herman Poehler, R. W. Zimmerman, Arthur Renner, and now by Ronald Renner. At one time there were 3 Elevators in town.
A Standard Oil bulk station was located west of the cattle yard. Rudolph Holzerland was the first bulk gasoline truck driver, and later Tony Schmitz, Wallace Goodell, J. J. Diedrick, and Richard Lee. The bulk station was discontinued about 1951.
A sawmill was started in 1910 by Nick Reinhart, and was first located on the east end of town on the south side of the highway. Later, it was moved to the west end of town on the south side of the highway (where Greg Farasyn now lives).
The 3 Implement dealers in town at one time were: Mr. Stege, G. W. Schlottmann, and R. W. Zimmerman. The latter two were also car dealers. Mr. Schlottmann sold Overland cars, and Mr. Zimmerman sold Dort, Paige, and Oakland cars.
The lumberyard used to be located where the firehouse now stands. It was built by James Doty and later sold to Simons Lumber Co. Managers were Peter Hanson, Ed Krienke, F. Hartwig, Frank Heidemann, and E. J. Neils. The first lumber yard burned down.
At one time there were 5 saloons in town. Some who have operated them were: August Beyer, Otto Berberich, Fred Bobsin, Mr. Schlack, Ernst Bobsin, Carl Pahling, Mr. Strelow, William F. Stege, Ted Ginkel, Cyril Redding, Alfred Domeier, Mr. Schlickow, George Bobsin, Mr. Blauert, Mr. Schlueder, Leo Walter, Ray Zupan, and Roger Besemer. Today there are still 2 saloons, which are known as the Crow Bar, and Swany's Pub.